Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, this anime was a lot better than I expected. The main character does not annoy me the way most shonen protagonists do. Looking forward to season 3.
I found it fairly easy to like Bakugo as his Japanese voice actor also does Kurokiba, the sometimes rather angry chef in the Food Wars anime. I just find his angry voices amusing for some reason. All might is great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bogoodski posted:

Hey folks,

I've never watched a second of anime. Nor had I ever thought to try to discover the source of its appeal.

That said, in another discussion, anime was mentioned in the context of a future where "technology saves us" and that seems a great diversion from the madness of our current reality. So, I figure I may give it a spin.

I solicited recommendations in that thread and was directed here (along with some suggestions, and a handy beginners' chart). I would love for more recommendations if any of you have suggestions of anime that you like to suggest to total noobs to the scene.

My real intent, if interested (or not; I'm gonna do it anyway!), is to provide some quick reviews as I watch. I figure it might be fun for some of you to hear the perspective of someone who has absolutely no significant preconceived bias as he approaches the genre. Maybe a different take on discussions and reviews you have all had no doubt countless times.

Thanks!

As someone who has really only liked 3 anime shows (early Pokémon as a kid, then Food Wars and My Hero Academia in the last couple of years) and is generally not very interested in anime in general, I would recommend watching My Hero Academia. It feel a touch more western, a bit like the 90s cartoons at times, but with the Japanese high-school theme as a twist, so I think it's actually easier to get into if you ever watched western cartoons like X-men or such. It's also well animated and mostly makes sense for what it is.

While people who have watched a lot more anime than me might think of it as good but not doing anything new or different, that should be a non-issue for anyone who, like you or me, doesn't have this other stuff to compare it with. All Might is also like a more comedic version of Captain America or Superman and the main character is a lot less annoying than the main character in some of the other anime shows that I tried but could not stick with.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

He wouldn't be able to commit and would talkmumble, in depth, about the merits of each and their production.

FTFY

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

I just finished watching the first two series of this.

My thoughts are that I really enjoyed it and I liked that they had Piccolo voice All Might because I had Piccolo/Gohan Flashbacks at all the training scenes.

I did, however, hate ball diaper boy. I hate him so much and cringe every time he's on screen. I want him to die horribly. He made me think Stain did nothing wrong.

You mean the purple ball creep? I guess he was ok-ish in the battle test, but other than that I don't like him one bit

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Re:zero sucked.

I really liked the premise of the show, in a pseudo groundhog day sense, but the main character annoys me too much in 80% of the episodes to rate it very highly.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

He's a brutal takedown of a typical isekai protagonist and by extension, the otaku who use them as self-inserts so yes, he is supposed to annoy you.

I guess if that was the intent, it's very successful, even if using an anime character as a self insert in the first place seems weird to me. I still can't like a show where I can't root for the main character, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is that no one wants to watch a show where the protagonist annoys them, on purpose or by accident.

I know one guy who does. Then again, if I know him, he might just be into it for the anime waifu angle.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Deku is a massive loving nerd, it's just that he's a nerd about heroes and All-Might as opposed to idols or Star Trek or whatever. All-Might is also a pretty lousy mentor; he should have given Deku the Quirk like, at least a little while before the test.

All-Might sometimes seems like he's almost as big a nerd as Deku. He has just had time to grow up around it a bit more.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

TWENTY FIVE EPISODES

SAME DAY SIMULDUB (for the first 6 eps)

LET'S GO

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/970708901057441792

On the one hand, it's good that I'll get new episodes of both Food Wars and MHA in April. On the other hand, the blog linked to in that tweet is not available in my country? I get if the episodes are not available, but the blog? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

Shigaraki getting 1 vote is bizarre as all hell, but the one I find weirder is that Stain only got 14.

E; Actually, no, I take it back. Weirdest thing is Deku's Shoe not getting any.

Maybe Deku's Shoe doesn't work as well in animation or outside Japan :shrug:

• Locked thread