Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i consider taking ten minutes out of a two-cour season to catch new people up to speed and remind anime-only people the general gist of the show an acceptable loss

What was the point of ep 13.5 then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

This is actually a point in her character development believe it or not, and you may see it.

Yeah, Yaoyoruzu's problem is that while she's very powerful, she gets unlucky a few times in ways that hurt her self-confidence.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 16, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Magni posted:

Part that and part she was just screwed right from the start by the ruleset here. She needs time and concentration to create things, and the whole setup and Tokoyami's quirk meant she just plain had none.

Another factor is the time of day. If that had fought a bit earlier, Tokoyami wouldn't have been as strong.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

stain is just so god drat 90's

Very.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't think that she was intelligent was a thing. She ranks 16th in grades, beating only Sero, Aoyama, Ashido and Kaminari.

The databook gives her a 4 out of 5 in intelligence, IIRC. Might be that she's the traitor and playing dumb, might be a case of databooks being bullshit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

What do those terms mean outside of years?

Golden Age was the era where Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain America (though not as a Marvel character because Marvel didn't exist yet) and Alan Scott originated. Back when Superman was a left-wing vigilante who lept tall buildings in a single bound, Batman used guns (OK, only for a few issues), and there was less continuity. This was before the Comics Code, so superheroes were allowed to be brutal vigilantes, although generally not to the extremes the 90s took it. More serious tone than Silver Age stuff (though still campy in retrospect), generally lower power levels.

The Silver Age (at least at D.C.) has a lighter tone, with heroes who don't kill (because Comics Code), Superman having a bajillion overpowered abilities, Superman making Jimmy Olsen marry a gorilla because reasons, and general absurdity. Marvel originates in this period, and is more serious (though still adhering to various Comics Code taboos), to the point where it feels weird to apply the term Silver Age to Marvel.

The Bronze Age marks a shift towards seriousness and social relevance (often clumsy in retrospect), like when Green Lantern and Green Arrow discover that racism and drugs exist. This is made possible in part by the loosening of the Comics Code.

The Dark Age begins with Watchmen and The Dark Night Returns, marking a shift towards over-the-top Dark and Edgy. Antiheroes like Ghost Rider and Spawn, Rob Liefeld's exaggerated muscles, Doomsday "killing" Superman. Also a lot of dubious business decisions involving collectible variant covers and the like, which nearly killed the industry. Some would say the Dark Age never really ended...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I'm surprised that there was a spinoff about vigilantes before there was one about the 20 other great superheroes of tomorrow right next door, but I guess then you'd need to worry about canon and people rather tell their Batman stories

Less Batman and more The Question/Rorschach.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

trigger's made four tv anime and only one really had any real amount of fanservice

Kill La Kill's fanservice is very memorable, though, and not always in a good way. Plus there was some fanservice in the later episodes of When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YF-23 posted:

In KLK the fanservice was, at least, thematically one of the points of the show. Even if someone thinks it was in bad taste it served a specific purpose in that story.

I was fine with most of the fanservice, but Raygo molesting his daughter on-screen was definitely in bad taste. It might not have been intended as fanservice, but all the previous fanservice made it come across that way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I like how Vigilantes makes it clear that Stain was always a crazy murderer, instead of his actions somehow being Endeavor's fault like people were speculating.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Actually her body breaks down her fat and reconstructs into what she wants, if anything she'd be dangerously underweight. I guess matroyshka dolls don't need that much

Quirks being tied to biology like Bakugo's sweat is what makes his explosions, Todoroki making himself too cold or too hot, or Sero's tape launchers being actual protrusions under his skin is one of my fav things about Quriks as a power system

It is neat, but it's not always entirely consistent. We never really get a biological explanation for Shinso's power (although it's possible to imagine one; I assume it works like telepathy in the Foundation books). Then there's people like Manga Fukidashi, whose power seems to have a slight fourth-wall-breaking component.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bogoodski posted:

Hey folks,

I've never watched a second of anime. Nor had I ever thought to try to discover the source of its appeal.

That said, in another discussion, anime was mentioned in the context of a future where "technology saves us" and that seems a great diversion from the madness of our current reality. So, I figure I may give it a spin.

I solicited recommendations in that thread and was directed here (along with some suggestions, and a handy beginners' chart). I would love for more recommendations if any of you have suggestions of anime that you like to suggest to total noobs to the scene.

My real intent, if interested (or not; I'm gonna do it anyway!), is to provide some quick reviews as I watch. I figure it might be fun for some of you to hear the perspective of someone who has absolutely no significant preconceived bias as he approaches the genre. Maybe a different take on discussions and reviews you have all had no doubt countless times.

Thanks!

Honestly, it depends on your tastes. Anime covers a lot of genres. What books/movies/comics do you like?

I'm actually having trouble thinking of an an anime where "technology saves us," oddly enough. Mostly because most of the anime I watch is fantasy or intentionally campy soft-sci-fi. I can think of some anime about how technology won't save us (Psycho-Pass comes to mind). I guess Bodacious Space Pirates is an optimistic sci-fi show.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just realized that Super Robot shows have an element of "technology saves us." I haven't watched many straight Super Robot shows, though. Maybe try Gunbuster?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Radish posted:

Ironically the author apparently sees him as the most identifiable.

He also says that he understands why a lot of people don't like him, and thus he deliberately limits his panel time.

Personally I think he's a lot funnier that most horndog anime characters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurora posted:

deku is a very typical shonen protag

Not really. He's a very typical American superhero protagonist. A shy nerd like Deku is almost the opposite of characters like Naruto and Luffy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So you’re saying he’s gohan.

Gohan is basically Bruce Banner. Deku is more like Peter Parker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

There's a lot of token pervert characters that people seem to complain less about with objectively worse behavior (See: Meliodas, Master Roshi, etc) but the way Mineta acts is so offputting in comparison and he somehow comes off more skeevy than a dude who literally physically molests the object of his affections and a guy who literally shrunk himself down to watch a girl pee.

It's probably because Meliodas, Roshi, Jiraiya, etc. do things other than be perverts sometimes. Hoshikori has said that he realizes that some people don't like characters like Mineta, so he limits Mineta's screentime, but I think this actually ends up making the Mineta-dislikers dislike him even more because he never gets to show other facets of his personality.

Personally I find Mineta amusing most of the time, but he definitely crossed a line in the most recent chapter.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 7, 2018

• Locked thread