Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JT Jag posted:

gently caress that, I want more details, I volunteer to see anime-original filler about Class B and Mount Lady

Nobody is complaining about this, people are complaining about how enough time each episode has been devoted to a copy-pasted setting intro and needless recaps that, this far into s2, we would be almost a full episodes worth of content further into the story if they'd not been stalling for 2-4 minutes of runtime every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

So I'm gonna say right now that you actually get to see exactly what happened with Todoroki and his mom very explicitly, probably in a couple of episodes, so maybe you all should shut the gently caress up about it until then and not try and poo poo in each others mouths making vast sweeping moral judgements about characters you haven't seen concerning events that haven't been shown

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Bakugou kind of suffers the most as a character from horikoshis lack of writing experience in the early part of MHA, as early in the series he goes well past being some kind of Gary Oak - esque Cocky Rival into acting like some kind of nascent school shooter, and it takes a while for horikoshi to really find the balance.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

You loving chuds better not be talking poo poo about CMYK halftone

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mentioned this in the manga thread last time it came up but: the main issue with bakugou is that, in the early part of the series, he's too extreme to fall into the role of just a brash rival but also isn't over the top enough to feel exaggerated, so the result is that he comes off as, essentially, a nascent school shooter. Mineta also has a similar thing going on where he's not pathetic enough to be non-threatening but also not insane enough to be farcical, so instead of being funny he's just disgusting. The thing is that Horikoshi catches on fairly quick and he corrects course, its just that it takes a while for it to happen.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean, I've been critical of the pacing so far but this is still incredibly breezy compared to the tournament arcs of yore.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

YF-23 posted:

It works if you see it as Spiderman giving it his 100% and going beyond to save a bunch of people like some kind of hero.

Yeah I mean what the gently caress, the train scene and the followup up to when the kids give him his mask back is probably one of the best bits of any superhero movie made

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I know it's not current but if you want Good Western Comics and haven't actually read the 60's Era marvel stuff like Romita Sr.'s Spider-Man or classic Fantastic Four, you are doing yourself a massive disservice.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who will represent the Bronze Age. Also, what's the age after that called?

I've heard it called the Dark Age occasionally, since it was the 90s and poo poo like Spawn and Rob liefeld were king.

Deku is the Bronze Age stand in

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

What do those terms mean outside of years?

Golden Age is the classic Era of superhero comics where Good Guys knock the poo poo out of Bad Guys, who are usually thinly based on actual evils in the real world (E.g. The mob, slum lords, Hitler) and is defined by a very strong throughline of moral justice and not a small amount of wish fulfillment.

Silver Age is the result of moral panic and the Comics Code forcing comics to lighten up and get silly, with stuff like telepathic gorillas from another dimension, Comet the Super-Horse, Superman developing a new power every week, and a general lack of consequences for anything that happened. Batman '66 is pretty much the purest form of Silver Age wackiness, bless it. (Side note: the Comics Code also effectively killed the horror and mystery comics that had flourished alongside superhero comics during the Golden Age, which is why superheroes dominate the market in America compared to other countries)

Bronze Age was the pendulum swinging against the nothing-matters wackiness of the Silver Age and marked a return to handling Real World issues in comics, with, imo, the defining start being the death of Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man #122. The Bronze Age was characterized by superheroes having to deal with real issues like racism and drug abuse with albeit questionable skill and tact (cue speedy.jpg), as well as a resurgence and absorption of Horror and Mystery comic themes with characters like Blade, Ghost Rider, and the Punisher.

The Dark Age was essentially people taking the themes of the bronze age and seeing how far they could run with them. Frank Miller and Alan Moore paved the way with The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, respectively, both of which took the conventions and cliches of the superhero genre and ran them until they broke, and a million young readers decided to imitate them with all of the extreme-ness and none of the tact. Dark Age characters tend to be extremely violent, hyper-masculinized, and questionably heroic, such as Deadpool (before he became a comedy character,) Spawn, Lobo, Cable, etc. etc. etc. Heroes that kill a lot, lots of guns, and character designs that tend towards the hyper-muscled and over-kibbled.

I stopped giving a poo poo about comics around 2000 so someone else is going to have to run down the modern Era.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Some people do exactly that.

Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron, Aluminum.

I'd disagree, and cite Amazing Spider-Man #96, 1971. It was, if not the first, at least the first mainstream comic to buck the control of the CCA's increasingly byzantine and self-defeating rules, which started the snowball rolling.

That's the one where Stan Lee was told he couldn't do a PSA comic about Spidey fighting drug dealers because drug use was a forbidden topic, right?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

teen midnight was absolutely in the anime club

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

not just implied, it's uraraka's whole motivation to become a hero

You have this backwards. Uraraka was going to give up on being a hero to use her insanely useful quirk working for her parents construction company, they refused to let her give up on a childhood dream for their sake.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Pakled posted:

Kinda unfair for Kirishima and Sato that everyone else gets time to prepare and strategize while their test began right away.

Iirc, in the manga all the fights were simultaneous.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Especially since Momo isn't even the first character with a quirk that makes them wear a sexy costume for the readers to look at.

At least her quirk lets her wear a costume at all!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure powerset. Originally she was gonna be an adult but then he thought it'd be more interesting to see somebody with a top tier quirk that is still learning how to hero.

A lot of the cast shuffled like this, iirc; for example, Mt. Lady was initially going to be a student and fill the role Ochako does now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Funko pops are latecapitalism.jpg and they must be destroyed for the sake of society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

shounen is barely targeted at young boys these days, plenty of it gets dark and complicated, and these days a lot more manga is written with the volumes in mind than the weekly serialization

I have some extraordinarily bad news about your logic here.

• Locked thread