Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Just finished the first series of this on Crunchyroll last night, and was debating whether to jump into the manga or just watch series 2 as it comes. Seems the first six volumes are on sale pretty cheap as a bundle, which is most of what's officially out in English in any case, so I might go ahead and grab them. Assuming I do, whereabouts did the first series adapt up to? I know volume 1 covered about the first five episodes, so I'm guessing they've covered the first two volumes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The first season adapted until about halfway into Volume 3. This season provided it's 2-cour as expected will adapt until around the end of Volume 7.

1st Season ends on Chapter 21, "In Each of Our Hearts".

2nd, provided it covers what we expect it to, will end probably on chapter 59: "Listen up! A tale from the past!" (or "Know your history!" from most of the scanlations).

Thanks for letting me know! By the way, I don't mean to start a huge debate, but do people generally prefer the manga or the anime, or is it more of a toss-up? Having only watched the show, it seemed a great adaption, albeit a bit poorly paced, which I've heard is a shame since the pacing's one of the manga's big strengths. Of course, that could well improve in this coming series, but who knows?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Gyges posted:

Can you even have real tea without a kettle?

My parents' house has a boiling water tap and it's the greatest thing ever for tea. :colbert:

Also, I bought the first seven volumes in a bundle. Looking forward to reading them later this week!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I guess it's not as if it's something they can't fix later if they need to. The guy's presumably gonna be back recording lines for future episodes, so they can always re-record those old lines if the new person doesn't imitate the voice well enough. Whether they'll bother taking the time to do so is another matter.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ankle posted:

If I'm caught up with the anime and want to check out the manga, where might I start at?

This last episode was chapter 45 ("Time To Pick Some Names!") and the very beginning of chapter 46, so you'd want to start at 46. These are also the first two chapters of volume 6 (according to Wikipedia, I don't have my volumes to hand to check).

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Pakled posted:

All Might said that quirklessness was more common when he was younger than it is now, which could mean that there were more people alive who were born before quirks appeared, but I guess you could also interpret that to mean that quirklessness is getting rarer with each generation, so while 20% of the population might be quirkless, it's more common among older people than kids.

I'm not sure if it's ever outright stated or simply implied, but the sense I got from what I've read of the manga is that this is indeed the case, and that being a Quirkless kid in Midoriya's generation is incredibly uncommon. For example, at the beginning of the series, though we didn't see the rest of his school, he at least seemed to be the only one in his class without a Quirk.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

It's a manga so you're more or less conforming to the rules of the power as the author describes, so if he says it does that, it does that!

If you're going to be technical, uh, the Earth is moving at thirty kilometers a second and you're no longer bound to gravity which probably conforms you to that so you'd probably be splattered instantly or launched into space or some other brutal instant burger kill. I mean no one has ever actually experienced zero gravity, it may not actually be possible in this reality.

That would only happen if Uraraka's quirk removed all inertia from an object, which it doesn't appear to (given a bit of fictional leeway - I mean, Uraraka slapping Deku to the side when he was falling wouldn't have removed all his downward momentum since he was falling so quickly, but it's not like it'd be any fun if Deku died so let's pretend she managed it). You'd still be moving at the earth's speed once gravity stopped applying to you, as would all the air around you and everything, so I'm guessing all that would happen is you'd appear to float slowly upwards (since you would be moving in a straight line tangential to the Earth and the Earth would no longer be pulling you down with its rotation).

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Except it also canceled inertia to allow her to do her home run attack on Ishida, otherwise she couldn't have swung an extremely massive pillar of concrete. None of the power make any sort of scientific sense and you shouldn't expect them to.

Fair point, I guess I was more just debunking the idea that you'll immediately pancake into the Earth or be flung off it gravity suddenly stopped applying to you, since that'd only happen if your inertia was also removed at the same time. Still, despite the fact that these powers obviously won't hold up when properly scrutinised, I do really enjoy how Horikoshi often manages to introduce a touch of science into the manga to add a bit of grounding to things, or weight to certain moments. For example, when it starts raining after All Might manages to change the air pressure with the ridiculous amount of air he displaced with his punch, or when Todoroki causes a massive explosion in the sports festival by heating the supercooled air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Dude you're moving at 30 kilometers a second with another object also moving that fast and you imagine you'll gently float away. C'mon. You're no longer rotating or bound to the rotation around the sun.

I was being tired and stupid and forgot the scale of space, sorry. I was thinking you were saying the earth moves in a line at 30 km/s, not that that's the earth's rotational speed. Thought you were trying to imply you'd just stop moving and the earth would hit you like a bus, not that it would rapidly rotate away from you, in which case you'd appear to zoom away into the sky like you said.

• Locked thread