Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In case anyone hasn't already made a GIF of the best part of the Todoroki/Deku fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kanos posted:

It's really too bad that Endeavor is human garbage because his design is fantastic.

agreed

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I Will Never Stop Twinkling is the best name in the series

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is that true because I've only ever seen it claimed in pearl-clutching facebook posts mass-shared by concerned mothers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Are you sure about that?

I googled this and it's basically untrue psychologists and occupational therapists have weighed in on fidget spinners for kids with ADHD. However a lot of them think it's probably worse than nothing, there's no actual studies done, and there function as a toy long predates their use as a therapeutic aide.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He won the last popularity poll which baffled me but he's clearly well received by fans.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 29, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am sorry pals I just realised it when I went back to my UserCP, I hope no one saw anything :saddowns:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

For me, Bakugo is an interestingly written character who is extremely unpleasant and whether or not you're up for dealing with that is entirely you. I think a rival character who suddenly has to completely double down on his dreams if he's deadset on being #1 Hero. His outrage at the end makes total sense. By no intention of his own, Todoroki was the first person to directly knock the wind out out of Bakugo's sails. Midoriya had shown him up just before, but Todoroki proves it wasn't a fluke. And then he finally gets the chance to fight the ace in the class, Todoroki rightfully can't be bothered to put his heart into it. To Bakugo, his victory proves nothing, he's made no progress since that tearful speech to Midoriya that he'd become number one.

Kinda like Shinso, your quirk sorta defines how you look at the world, not only is Bakugo's extemely powerful, but it doesn't really have a peaceful option, so like, why should he? Combined with almost everyone in this Superhero Focused Society telling him how strong he is, it makes complete sense why he is the way he is. Now the way he is, is not good, the kid needs therapy for sure, but I think Bakugo is such an interesting look at a realistic Vegeta like character. I haven't read too far ahead of where the anime is now, but I really hope Horikoshi keeps it up.

As for Todoroki, I feel he's pretty much always going to be the stoic one, and this whole arc was showing us why he's the stoic one, and as Todoroki says at the end, this is his Starting Line, his dream and character development start from now, and now is the most interesting time for his character. Todoroki is my personal favorite character, but if his struggle doesn't connect with you, then it just doesn't I think. For me it does, I want my sweet boy to do good and become who he wants to become. Todoroki Should Have Won

good manga

The sports day was a really great display of how much your Quirk defines you but also how much peoples perception of your Quirk defines you, I believe in my strong boy Shinso. Also Bakugo's shithead nemesis from Class B rules.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

The point is that he's not there yet. One anime protagonist speech doesn't fix a lifetime of abuse.

Agreed. It would have felt weaker to me if he'd been like "everything is wavy gravy now get dunked, pal". It made a lot more sense to me that his mind was a maelstrom trying to decide what was right and what was wrong.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why is Jiro rated so highly!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

gnome7 posted:

This poll came up right after a chapter in the manga where we met Jiro's family and saw a bit of her home life. Jiro's cool.

I guess but compared to main characters like Uraraka and Ida and she's just behind All Might who is absurdly low. WHAT IS HAPPENING JAPAN???

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

paragon1 posted:

i'm glad that they're friends now.

I love Tetsutetsu in the audience yelling for Kirishima to "go for the chin, the chin" during his fight with Bakugo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm a little sad that the Best Jeanist pun/reference is lost in translation.

What's the pun?

Spiderdrake posted:

Peace Sign was so good, also for some reason I really liked how it's them stretching to get ready. Gave it a grounded feel of actually, ya know, getting ready for something that means a lot to them.

Also someone who follows both closely, did the manga have Gran emphasize so strongly that Toshi just figured out the quirk immediately? I didn't get that feeling at all when I read it recently, it was always something that stood as strange to me in MHA, and I don't remember the manga explaining it.

I haven't gotten to see the episode but it's not pushed that hard in the manga. All Might mentions after the entrance exam that he never had similar difficulties. Gran Torino treks Deku that All Might's body was already bug enough to handle OfA so they just sparred endlessly until All Might would puke. I think that's about it though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TurkeyFried posted:

I didn't remember getting such a good look at Toshinori in the manga

Boy was in pretty good shape!

Spiderdrake posted:

Peace Sign was so good, also for some reason I really liked how it's them stretching to get ready. Gave it a grounded feel of actually, ya know, getting ready for something that means a lot to them.

Also someone who follows both closely, did the manga have Gran emphasize so strongly that Toshi just figured out the quirk immediately? I didn't get that feeling at all when I read it recently, it was always something that stood as strange to me in MHA, and I don't remember the manga explaining it.

I had a look there after watching the episode and it's pretty much a shot for panel remake of it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

true

best jeanist would kick my rear end, i wear a lotta jeans

It's all clothes not just jeans iirc

e: checked my volume there and "he can manipulate textiles at will" is his official quirk description.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 11, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He better watch out for this guy then, I hear he's super strong and super naked!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah I know why his outfit is denim, it's the most fashionable material. idiot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was watching the race episode with dinner and the anime had a nice addition, they showed Dark Shadow going tiny and sad when Deku set off the huge explosion to leap the mine field. I went and checked the manga volumes and it's not there it's just a nice added detail.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That is almost certainly not the case.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jesus that's surprisingly grim

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I believe Full Cowling is the term used in the official Viz Translation, isn't it?

I just checked and it is and controversially imo it sounds fine and there's no real difference between cowl and cowling

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Radish posted:

Yeah he laid it out pretty clear with the kid's picture and everything.

Yeah I just went looking through my volumes and goddamn

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

After beating him he'd even invite Goku for food

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It seems like after the first volume with Full Cowling the official manga volumes use Full Cloak unless Horikoshi is using different terms too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Missed opportunity for Todoroki to be on the Keytar, smdh.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aurora posted:

I'm gonna assume it's still "full cowlu"

Lmao probably. I'll have to wait for more official releases of the volumes and comb the ones I have for all occurrences. If they did change Full Cowling to Full Cloak that's pretty unusual because normally they stick to translations for clarity and continuity hence 20 years of Zolo in One Piece. On the other hand if I'm correct they only used Full cowling for half a volume and only two or maybe three instances of it so they just said screw it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I thought the Zolo romanization of Zoro was literally a copyright issue.

They also have and maintain Ponegliff which is far more upsetting tbqh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I totally understand wanting to experience the anime first but I'd totally recommend rereading chapters after they've aired. Some of Horikoshi's art is really amazing and as fateful as the anime is it can't do it all, for example

Tomura's appearance at USJ.

e: replaced with a comparison someone did

All Might blasting the doors down

Nomu snapping Aizawa's arm

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 19, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm watching the whole anime on Funimation because it finally came to ireland and the other huge thing the anime has over the manga is a god-tier soundtrack.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shere posted:

I got choked up when they played a more tender version of the intro over Todoroki's flashback with his mom.

Deku saving Bakugo and Uraraka gets me everytime, he's so brave I wanna die :kimchi:

I'm also a big fan of the titular track, it plays when All Might shows up and rescues Aizawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrctGu3irw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rewatching the dub and in the first episode Bakugo says Deku will never get into U.A. without a Quirk and Deku responds "they actually rescinded that rule in recent times". It probably isn't but I hope that was a little nod that they did it because All Might himself was originally born without a Quirk.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It sucks the dub is dropping to a two week delay but on the other hand most dubs are years behind so I'm still very happy with it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that Ida is basically the same but now with sparkles.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who just noticed that Jiro's hair shine is always drawn as sound waves

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also noticed that! Who wouldn't. What and ideot

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked that Deku won the Obstacle Race without using One For All, the show/manga does such a good job of making every victory feel really earned.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For that guy who missed it I guess, there's post credit scenes after some episodes and one of them is Bakugo brushing his teeth. It's episode 25 over all or S2 episode 12

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The comments on the Funimation are literally all people having meltdowns over being two weeks behind or whatever from now on lmao.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What do those terms mean outside of years?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's really poorly phrased awkward sounding English though. The official manga translation of that line is "Never forget who you want to become" which sounds much better. I expect the dub will be similar.

e: The more I think about it I can't think of when someone says "look properly" and isn't literary taking about something you can actually see. Bad translation.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Their dub of it is superb though.

• Locked thread