Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im ready for my son todoroki to do his best and become hero numba one da

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the french are way more on that anime/manga tip than we are so i trust them implicitly in these matters.

can't wait for them to spend all 24 episodes on the sports tournament arc, less than a chapter a ep baybee

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I haven't read much into the Sports Festival arc, but when the anime gets past there, I plan to do the the extremely powerful move of reading the manga alongside the show and hopefully that'll finally give me enough momentum to read the manga myself.

I had read the manga before seeing the first season and yeah it's a real good adaptation with the only downside being it's like two chapters an episode

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
extremely behind on episodes but todoroki best boy. the bit where all might hugs him and acknowledges his new determination owns.

this is where i stopped reading the manga so im stoked to see whatever's next

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
For me, Bakugo is an interestingly written character who is extremely unpleasant and whether or not you're up for dealing with that is entirely you. I think a rival character who suddenly has to completely double down on his dreams if he's deadset on being #1 Hero. His outrage at the end makes total sense. By no intention of his own, Todoroki was the first person to directly knock the wind out out of Bakugo's sails. Midoriya had shown him up just before, but Todoroki proves it wasn't a fluke. And then he finally gets the chance to fight the ace in the class, Todoroki rightfully can't be bothered to put his heart into it. To Bakugo, his victory proves nothing, he's made no progress since that tearful speech to Midoriya that he'd become number one.

Kinda like Shinso, your quirk sorta defines how you look at the world, not only is Bakugo's extemely powerful, but it doesn't really have a peaceful option, so like, why should he? Combined with almost everyone in this Superhero Focused Society telling him how strong he is, it makes complete sense why he is the way he is. Now the way he is, is not good, the kid needs therapy for sure, but I think Bakugo is such an interesting look at a realistic Vegeta like character. I haven't read too far ahead of where the anime is now, but I really hope Horikoshi keeps it up.

As for Todoroki, I feel he's pretty much always going to be the stoic one, and this whole arc was showing us why he's the stoic one, and as Todoroki says at the end, this is his Starting Line, his dream and character development start from now, and now is the most interesting time for his character. Todoroki is my personal favorite character, but if his struggle doesn't connect with you, then it just doesn't I think. For me it does, I want my sweet boy to do good and become who he wants to become. Todoroki Should Have Won

good manga

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Power stealing/copying characters are always cool and Monoma is no exception. I like that they establish he's genuinely smart, just a huge ego that kinda annoys his peers

e: Bakugo def recognizes the talents of others. He sees Todoroki won the Heroes vs. Villains game instantly and that he really can't compare to that, also that Yaoyorozu is intelligent and right as she quickly breaks down every gently caress-up they made in their round. He regrets that it's true, but he still acknowledges it. Even mid-fight, he commits Uraraka's name to memory after calling her Round-Face, despite still not knowing Kirishima's name, the only dude who talks to him willingly

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 30, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've understood it as that Todoroki needs to start mentally (having his mother back in his life, forgiving her) on his right path first rather than physically (personally knowing that he's not his father, he's not at a fault for anything and using his fire side for himself). He'd rather start a new relationship with his mother first, before using his fire side again. In a way, choosing to ask for permission rather than beg for forgiveness.

All Might hugging Todoroki after is the best imo. All Might knows that this kid was engineered his entire life to knock him off the pedestal, but All Might knows that's just not who Todoroki is, even saying that he gets the same feeling from Todoroki that he does from Deku. buncha good boys that need to be reminded, You Can Become A Hero

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like that so far the weirdest people get about someone's appearance is the police officer who was a cat person because they were expecting the more cliche police dog character.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

Why is Jiro rated so highly!
cause she's cool and goth punk

Terper posted:

Because she's Deep Dope.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It does seem that no frills, power of the element guys are pretty tough in-universe. Like the #2 guy ever is just A Buff Fire Guy (the #4 guy ever is the best at jeans so maybe that goofs it up) Even a goofus like Kaminari was able to temporarily stop nearly the entire arena and the more competent and more diverse Todoroki has everyone's full confidence.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Keep On Your Jean Spirits

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The OP is fine, the cute lil higher voice that harmonizes really reminds me of something and I can't quite place it, but I like it a lot

Manga spoilers about the OP: I like that they showed the pairs for the end of semester test, but those pairs look just abritrary right now and they didn't include Deku, Todoroki or Iida in the pairs so like Momo and Ojiro look weirdly alone. A weird bummer since I really like that arc and the Todoroki/Yaoyorozu team-up is one of my favorite scenes that I've gotten to

Slime posted:

Best Jeanist's quirk is powerful because of the society he's in. Fire and electricity and Ice and such are just plain strong, but clothing manipulation is good because everyone wears clothes.

tl:dr if everyone suddenly became a nudist best jeanist would be on the tier of deku's mom in terms of power
true

best jeanist would kick my rear end, i wear a lotta jeans

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 11, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah but he can manipulate denim the easiest, as opposed to sweats which are the most difficult for him

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 11, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
goku isn't really a hero so all might would def win

goku may be able to go even further beyond but all might can go plus ultra

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've realized I have a specific "problem" with this anime and the problem is that it makes me not wanna read the manga which is super dumb. Before Season 1 was announced I had read up to about where the anime is now and just stopped when it was announced and didn't go back to it and so far I feel rewarded for it. Not to throw shade on Horikoshi, but the anime has just sold more scenes for me. Things like the new intensity All Might vs. Nomu, actually showing Momo and Ashido's fights in the tournament makes it feel more Complete in a weird way. The biggest for me though was how much more I loved Deku vs. Todoroki in the anime, it resonated so much more with me animated, making me realize "oh wow I super identify with Todoroki" that just didn't really happen for me when I read it

This isn't to talk down the manga, I've heard nothing but stellar things about future events and would love to see it, but now the anime has become the preferred way I want to experience it which is unfortunate in this new era of Season Based Shonen Adaptations. I guess this is what JoJo Anime Only Fans go through, huh?

anyway

https://twitter.com/animatetimes/status/887228033693663232

my boy todoroki killing it on that casio

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There will be 10 more episodes, this season is 25 episodes total iirc. you coulda just said that.

EmmyOk posted:

Missed opportunity for Todoroki to be on the Keytar, smdh.
todoroki on a single instrument reflects that he's becoming a whole person and not just His Dad + His Mom

yall worse than bakugo calling him Half and Half

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

I totally understand wanting to experience the anime first but I'd totally recommend rereading chapters after they've aired. Some of Horikoshi's art is really amazing and as fateful as the anime is it can't do it all, for example

Tomura's appearance at USJ.

e: replaced with a comparison someone did

All Might blasting the doors down

Nomu snapping Aizawa's arm

Yeah there's no way I'm gonna sit here and say Horikoshi's art is bad. The Shigaraki panel and another later on are the coolest poo poo. Same with the panel of Todoroki after he uses his fire and the first time we see him smile looks a painful grimace and that he's about to cry, good poo poo.

For me at least, and maybe I'm just bad at reading manga panels, but a lot of the action flow is lost for me. Obviously anime has the upper hand there, that's not a fair comparison, but things like the Calvary Battle just work a lot better for me adapted. That might be a bad example too since the Calvary Battle is SO action and movement oriented.

PMush Perfect posted:

That's a totally reasonable position to be in. I don't know how it will hold through the year-long break that's sure to be between this season and the next, but anyone who says you have to read the manga is an elitist rear end in a top hat.
ty ty. i imagine I'll probably cave after these 10 weeks are up but i'd really rather this anime ran all the time and the quality suffered for it

what a curse i have to read a good manga

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
when people started putting You Say Run over Asura's Wrath boss fights or Trunks firing the Galick Gun was when I knew the anime was better

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 20, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Not just the hero themes either, the theme used for when Shigaraki invades the USJ or the Nomus attacking the city last ep with the chanting and sitar is rad as hell too

e: I know some people aren't hot on the new OP and I get it but the higher voice that harmonizes like twice is the goofiest thing and I love it for that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/heroaca_anime/status/887870890506985472

rare cryptid photo of todoroki and bakugo standing next to each other and smiling

(the tweet is that My Hero Academia merch will be at P'PARCO 3 F THE CHARAC SHOP in Ikebukuro and the theme is a summer camping trip)

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 21, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Peel posted:

that looks like an extremely painful way to fish
excuse me are u a frog person?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
some extremely good boys today huh

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/888675332181471232

what if they were bester

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah they look like a cardiogram. A thing Jiro can do if she doesn't have her amplifier boots from Season 1 is just plug her earphone jacks into something and blast the amplified sound and vibrations of her heartbeat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
character designs in this manga good.

I don't like Stain's look but that's kinda the whiole point, Spawn Todd McFarlane lookin rear end

I like Todoroki's new outfit a lot more than his last one because it looked super unfinished compared to really everyone else's, though his new one is just a little generic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they say that exact thing if you click through and read the tweet thread, mocking is shorter than homaging

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i bet Horikoshi totally and sincerely loves or at one point did love Spawn and that rules

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dragonatrix posted:

Horikoshi has like a half-dozen Venom figures because he loves that kinda poo poo. He is absolutely into Spawn a whole bunch.

Fabricated posted:

This is part of his office.
horikoshi owns

I know it's been said a million billion times, but I truly wish that cape comics would take pages from Horikoshi's books and I know that's just not doable in ways due to the almost century old comics industry at this point, but god I just cannot give a poo poo about current comics or superheroes outside of whatever Batman comics I read as a kid, I pay no attention to the modern MCU whatsoever. at Meanwhile I'd be down as hell to spend $6 - 7 for a week for the new My Hero Academia issue at my local shop, I love that the volumes have the lil banner in the top left of the cover that says Shonen Jump Comics Vol. # with a lil half a character, that's a super good touch.

I know the answer to my complaints is probably Indie Comics, but I feel that itself is sadly another, somehow more impenetrable realm

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I shoulda said Feels Like and not stated as a fact, I'm sure anime and manga feel like the same Wild West if you've been reading Hawkeye since middle school

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I personally think I like the manga version of this scene, if only because I remember the fan translation of Todoroki's big line to Iida was "Never forget who you want to become!" rather than "Look properly at what you want to be!" which sounds like Todoroki is saying that is what he himself is and Iida shoulda look to Todoroki which also works but ehhhh. The pacing of it is fine imo, any time they cover more than two chapters an episode as a win to me.

Either way this scene rules for how it plays into Todoroki and Iida's character arc, Todoroki is the perfect person to help push Iida forward, not Deku here imo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dragonatrix posted:

Not... really...? It seems pretty obvious that he's saying to not get blinded by a desire for vengeance over, y'know, being a hero.
Nah it's obviously not what he's saying when you think about it, but it's a poor sub choice imo after all Iida wants to do is be a successful, loved hero like his brother and then Todoroki made his heroic entrance having just progressed his character arc about limiting yourself because you lost sight of your dream due to family reasons, fighting off Stain better than anyone we've ever seen and after he says the line, flexes up his fire side real big, like it could paint a slightly different picture I feel. "Look properly" sounds like "yo get a good look at this my man, this is what you're striving for" [sets half his body on fire]

That scene is one of my favorites so yeah I'm totally nitpicking, but it works so well for Todoroki joining Deku's group of Ochako and Iida, lending a hand to support Iida who has always been the more mature and confident rock, supporting everyone else, and still totally does in the anime, that line just made me raise an eyebrow

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 25, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like that when All Might says that line, Shigaraki's eyes narrow as if he's smiling, he's not lying to himself about any of this. For all of Stain's principles and beliefs, he's still about to murder three fifteen year olds in an alley. At least Shigaraki's just here to have his fun and he knows it. gently caress you dad, give me the keys to the Nomus, I'm going out tonight. Also his design is way way better.

gently caress Stain, go Shigaraki.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 26, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
pretty sure there's nothing going on with his nose cause it's not there anymore

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Excuse you nothing about Deku's mom is low level attractive

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This whole society is powerfully regulated, the very first scene is a dude getting busted for using his Quirk during commuter hours. It doesn't help that his quirk seemed to be Turn Big And Into A Monster but still. The whole premise of the spin-off manga is that a group of unliscened dudes in a vigilante group doing vigilante things. Shigaraki's main point at USJ was that registered Heroes are essentially state sponsored violence and deterrence to keep the peace.

Speaking of, Viz is going to start putting the spin off manga on their site, has anyone read it because I've heard LITERALLY nothing about it in my circles

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Quirk registration is just something you do, like getting your your toeprints recorded when you're born IRL. This is so the government has some idea of what you can do on your record, they got loving middle schoolers running around with explodey hands, conjuring ice and fire outta their bodies and pulling rocket launchers outta their boobs, let's try and get some order to this fuckmess. After USJ, we learn that neither Shigaraki or Kurogiri are in any quirk databases, meaning they've spent their entire lives underground

Hero registration is what you need if you want to do the job of being superhero, actually get paid for it and not have the government come for your rear end for being a vigilante.

Ochako wants to be a hero so she can get rich and give money back to her parents, she could've just dropped out of high school and worked for her father lifting poo poo, but her parents want better things for her than that.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 27, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I mean obviously he's good at his job but I kind of assumed it was going to be in a more assholish way like he'd be too concerned about glory to worry about helping civilians or his comrades but he seemed genuinely concerned about stuff. I think that's what lifts the writing above the usual shounen action show, many of the characters just refuse to stick the pigeonholes you might expect.

I assume at some point there's a story behind Gran Torino obviously being a top class hero but no one seemingly having heard of him?
I love how this aspect enhances Todoroki's character arc too. Rather than keep Endeavor as just a lovely one note dad, they make him a very flawed human who truly is a Hero, the second best hero in the world. And Todoroki has now recognized that and put aside his hate to help better himself. He could have continued denying his father everything at the cost of not becoming the best hero he can. He hasn't forgiven Endeavor, but instead decided to take the best possibilities in front of him and accept that there are good aspects of his dad.

Still gently caress Endeavor he sucks, but he brings neat stuff to the table and the best outta Todoroki's aec.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Moltrey posted:

gently caress Stain, go Shigaraki.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Fabricated posted:

Endeavor is such a terrible person I wouldn't want to learn anything from him, regardless of how effective he is. His motivations drive his methods and if heroism is supposed to mean something more than being good at beating up villains and rescuing people from disasters anything you pick up from observing him is tainted right at the outset. Simply being around the guy is placing yourself in a toxic environment.
I don't feel like you're supposed to want to learn anything from him, Todoroki himself really doesn't want to in the first place.

But if Todoroki is going to become the great hero he wants to be, not learning from the #2 guy is shooting himself in the foot, and says that he'd rather continue ignoring his father than become a better hero. Todoroki has reconnected with his mother, earned her blessing, love and permission to use the fire side that she hates and can now look at Endeavor without hate for the man or himself and sees him primarily as a useful tool he can use, a stepping stone so maybe one day he can become what he wants to become.
He's still a good boy, dropping everything to check on his friend with zero idea why. There isn't much more that Endeavors toxic personality can do to Todoroki that it hasn't done for the last fifteen years.

also I know Endeavor doesn't care about them but his other siblings should really get out of that house, his adult sister being scared about Todoroki going to the hospital by himself is real sad and unsettling

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 2, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Iida and Todoroki are really similar tbh. Both have had their family relations define themselves and then come to realize that they aren't being true to what they believe and want to be. Like Todoroki realizes that he has let his hate for his father consume and that Quirk is HIS power and he must use it fully to progress as a hero, Iida must realize that he's let his obsession with becoming like his brother consume him, not having any actual idea of what he wants to do or be other than Just Like My Brother. Iida sees how his family and the world love Tensei because of his noble spirit and Tenya wants to be the same kind of great hero. This isn't necessarily bad, it's just extremely hollow and has shades of Endeavor devoting his adult career to reaching #1 without an actual idea of what makes the #1 guy the #1 guy when Iida is capable of so much more.

In his encounter with Stain, Tenya's a young kid playing at hero and Todoroki is the perfect person to remind him to never forget what he wants to become. Fight on Iida!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The scene where Deku tells Endeavor that just as Deku isn't All Might, Todoroki isn't Endeavor, but also pretend he said that Iida isn't Ingenium

• Locked thread