Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, anime original episode next week, which is kinda cool tbh since I feel MHA's world/characters really shine in the "slice of life" department

octopus guy rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah I counted this Saturday, tomorrow, as part of this week and next week's Saturday will be Tsuyu's arguably canon ocean adventures

Apparently Monday is the official start of the weekday but I always thought it was Sunday, weird how that works

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tsuyu saying "You can enjoy watching me in this anime-original episode!" is one of the most self aware I've ever seen a series be

also todoroki has no respect for cops, hes a great hero

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
After I resigned myself to preferring the manga, friends of mine started sending me panels of the villains shown at the end of this ep to convince me to read and Sweater Girl looks loving wild, I love her. I'm stoked for the more character based filler but also no gently caress off lets get moving

EmmyOk posted:

That line from a few episodes back about what Todoroki says to Ida about not losing sight of the hero he wants to be came up in the dub today and they translated/rewrote it pretty nicely

"You want to make your brother proud? Then stand up and be Ingenium. Become the hero he wanted you to be!"
this is good ill accept it

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 6, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
booooo

waiting until the first week of april 2018 is gonna suck rear end

Rhonne posted:

How many episodes are left in this season?
I think this has a 25 episode season? So seven more episodes?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Butt Ghost posted:

don't boo yet it's a good rear end arc
oh no, for sure.

the next arc contains one of my personal fav, cute moments in this series, but also I wanna see more Sweater Girl and the guy who looks like a Hot Topic/Tattoo Piercing Mistake

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love Froppy, the true symbol of peace imo

The contrast of Todoroki sulking at his desk for the past like 30 episodes to Deku and Iida standing around his desk talking to him in the preview is :ok_hand emoji:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
sadboy deku owns and mt lady should've been the protag.

a lazy mid-late 20's woman who just wants money and fame is a great lead

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love angry momo!!!

also the key to making me love tokoyami was giving him todoroki's head, what a shock

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like their reasoning for putting Todoroki and Momo together and I wish we could see their process for everyone

Still, putting together the two kids who got in thru Reccomendations and are some of the smartest kids in class together is a lil bit unfair, but at least they're fighting the guy who cancels Quirks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Being book-smart is completely worthless in the current scenario. Both definitely aced the writing test, but this is not that, this is a fighting test and why they're both bad at fighting was made clear in the episode itself: Todoroki gets through fights due to being an eugenics project gone right, his tactics are non-existent beyond "blast 'em full force with ice and/or fire" while Yao-momo is unable to make decisions in the heat of battle and as such wastes an useful quirk and her own intelligence.

Also we'll probably get the reasons for everyone else as their fights start, like Kirishima and Sato being together against Cementoss due to having physical, power Quirks which are a terrible match against Cementoss' walls, as well as very little in the tactics department that would've gotten them through such a disadvantageous situation.
Momo's Quirk is entirely reliant on her being booksmart, the only way she create anything is if she knows the atomic make up of it. Pairing her up with Todoroki where attacking for him is just a huge gently caress off wall of fire or ice works as great cover for her. Plus it's not like they're Bad at fighting, Momo's just inexperienced where Todoroki is, but he's simple.

As also with Deku and Bakugo, they're pairing off people who have the most to learn by being with each other and that's good, but also Todoroki and Momo are both top of the class and then you see Jiro and timid boy and well this just seems a tad uneven

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
MHA is cool cause it goes the way of early Naruto where everyone gets some screentime to strut their stuff but then there's Sugar Boy and Rock Face Boy who i sincerely do not know the full names of off the top of my head.

Not that it's Horikoshi's fault, 20 students is a lot even when you cull it down to the five main characters, but it feels bad when even like Sero and his goofy Tape From Elbows Quirk gets to look cool where Shoji and Rock Head are just, haaaanging out.

Sorry it sounds like im complaining itt, I just wanna see all my kids get to play in the big soccer game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
legit wish Monoma was in Class A just to have someone else antagonistic that isn't outright aggression and also the girl whom make her hands big

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm surprised that there was a spinoff about vigilantes before there was one about the 20 other great superheroes of tomorrow right next door, but I guess then you'd need to worry about canon and people rather tell their Batman stories

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't think Monoma's schtick would be nearly as strong if he was a member of Class A, and Kendou really benefits from being the straight man to his insufferable rear end in a top hat. If anyone were to be swapped into Class A from B I think the best choice would be Ibara, though her personality might have a bit too much overlap with Momo's.
I think you could def make Monoma into a less innocent Aoyama. He doesnt seem to be hated in his class, but def a level of "This loving Guy"

Also, this is just something I wanna get off my chest, but I don't think Tokoyami is that cool. I love his design and his Quirk is cool, but his actual character seems to just be the serious guy and even from what I've read in the manga, I don't feel he has any real chemistry with anyone and is just kinda A Dude. I feel like people could probably say the same about my personal fav Todoroki tho so let go and let God

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Lord of Hats posted:

He gets more development later on. He' *is* a relatively serious dude, but he also has a huge chuuni streak. It doesn't stand out quite as much because he actually does have a literal dark spirit inside of him that's hard to control, but he is absolutely acting dark and brooding because he thinks it's badass.
I'm excited to see that, I'll try to pick the manga back up after the season ends.

Even now tho I don't get a dark and brooding vibe from him, he's respectful to everyone and is excited to have Midoriya try and make a strategy around his power in the Calavary Battle, maybe the animal trainer guy from Dangan Ronpa has hosed my scale of what Chunni can be. Also we just haven't seen the dark side of his spirit yet, instead we see it being scared of light and liking head pets which is good too dont get me wrong

Yeah Tokoyami just hasn't hit me in the way it seems to have for everyone else. I imagine this is what it feels like for the one guy who doesn't get the appeal of Froppy

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You could probably argue that's it retcon-y, but I really like the reveal that Todoroki was the one who voted for Momo. He's not completely aloof, just not good at People. Momo's respect for him is cute too.

The balance between squeezing in two minor fights in ten minutes and then spending the ten other minutes on an all out struggle was done well, reading this arc in the manga where everything is happening at once is good tension too, but I appreciate the flow this has more.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo went from Shonen Jump to Ultra Jump about like, thirteen years ago in it's 30 year run

Fabricated posted:

Let's not start the complaining about Momo's costume because it ain't gonna change
nah im do it anyway

it's bad

It makes sense for her power I guess that she needs to be showing skin to make stuff but Horikoshi wrote it that way and he likes Mineta a lot iirc so i don't trust him

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Clarste posted:

The costume is also just kind of ugly, imo.
It's not as bad as Todoroki's original costume, lordy lord

I still dunno why she has a weird shelf and like a book on her back?? like it's not some literally Got An rear end Like A Shelf joke right, what is that?

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 10, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thank you all for educating me, im sorry i doubted momo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Retcon isn't really the right word, but I just wonder if that was Horikoshi's plan along, those chapters were over a year apart after all. And it's not like Todoroki had any real reason to vote for her other than she was the other student who got in through recommendations and they sit next to each other I like that moment, but I can easily someone else saying it's a silly "I Actually Secretly Believed In You All Along Momo"

e: actually before that chapter was the battle trial arc where she analyzed how bakugo and deku goofed in the trial battle better than All Might did, so okay yeah i believe it never mind

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 10, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hell same dude, don't spend a lot of time drawing a 15yo's tho

Waffleman_ posted:

Here's a simple explanation for Yaoyorozu's outfit: It's a Shonen Jump manga.
that's a bad explanation

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
ill gladly watch mt lady fling her big rear end around all day but it's incredibly lame when horikoshi does it to his like six or so teenage characters and making mineta his creator's pet to get horny over fifteen year olds is like the only very bad thing about this series imo and fitting to discuss in this, the thread for the my hero academia animation.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 11, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

YF-23 posted:

In KLK the fanservice was, at least, thematically one of the points of the show. Even if someone thinks it was in bad taste it served a specific purpose in that story.
the specific purpose was to get me to drop it like the hottest and heaviest rock and it did that very well

Fabricated posted:

I get you but man, comparing MHA to say Yuuna/Souma/Black Clover/etc I feel kinda blessed it has all been as tame as it has. Like, Horikoshi isn't going back to add nipples to full-frontal shots in his volumes is all I'm saying- like the mangaka that does Yuuna.
I suppose this is fair as MHA is really the only "boiler plate" shonen I watch now, but it's just super disappointing going from honest stories about how not to be like your abusive father and connect with other loved ones who were hurt too, how to live up to your own expectations, how to trust yourself more and then just Yo Look At These Hot 10th Graders,

yeah i dunno it's weird!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
let girls be horny too

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The locker scene with Mineta is probably the worst for me as Jiro is sad and embarrassed that she was the only girl Mineta wasn't trying to perv on, implying she would've felt better if she DID get creeped on, ending the scene with the notion that Perving On Women Is Good Because At Least It Makes Them Feel Attractive which hooooooly poo poo what. like it's the the intent probably but yeah that's probably been the worst for me

Kaminari is mostly fine, like the cheerleader outfit thing is weird but also he actually talks to the girls and they're just not interested cause he's a goober.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 12, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Fabricated posted:

The Jirou thing didn't really strike me as problematic because there's already a dynamic where she's body conscious and Momo very extremely isn't which kinda works as a dynamic beyond fanservice at least a little honestly. Momo needs to expose her body at least somewhat to use her quirk and doesn't seem terribly well socialized (she's kinda bad at reading social cues)- of course she can't be body conscious because she couldn't work as a hero otherwise. Her self-confidence issues are related to competency.

Jirou actually acts like an average teen- she's arguably the least physically developed of the girls and has some body image issues because of it (partially because she's friends with Momo who basically looks like an adult woman standing at 5'8" where the rest of the girls barely make it over 5"). It's like one of the few instances where the kids act like kids instead of proto-adult heroes. Kaminari and Jirou actually are about the most normal kids in the class- Kaminari has trouble focusing on classwork, less creepily sideeyes girls with Mineta, and (unsuccessfully) macks on every chick he meets (he makes a move on Uraraka right off).

Mineta gets out and out owned immediately when he peeps which kinda softens the scene- him groping Tsuyu (twice) was more gross IMO. The "Uraraka has PMS" joke was something I 100% would've heard in high school so ehhh.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't see how Jiro's reaction was portrayed as positive though, lots of people have self image issues and lots of people like to be seen as attractive so Jiro getting annoyed that she is ignored in favor of the other girls because she is not as buxom as them or whatever is a very realistic issue for a teenager to have. While I'm sure she doesn't want to be perved on by Mineta that doesn't change the fact that she could use his opinion on her as a baseline for how she thinks other boys look at her, now obviously that is not a good thing, but it's a very common way of thinking so it feels like realistic characterization, not an endorsement of that way of thinking. It's how that is handled in the future that really matters, IMO.
I totally agree that stories about teenage girl body issues are important and interesting, but man there's gotta be better ways to do them than Jiro Feels Bummed The Class Pervert Didn't Want To See Her Naked Without Her Consent. It also doesn't feel like either was the moral Hirokoshi was going for and it also kinda sounds like there's some manga events that this sets the groundwork for which is interesting if that's true, but right now it stands out as this weird scene where Jiro would've felt Better if she was horned up after, which yeah isn't unthinkable when it comes to humans but it's a weird message to send to teenagers.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mods rename me to The Midnight Boys

Sorry I'm a huge bummer in this thread, I sincerely love this series, but this one constant running theme can make me see red

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
best woman is mt. lady, let's not play loving games here

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Eela6 posted:

Name tier list:

S+ Mt. Lady
S Froppy, Alien Queen
A: Eraserhead, Serophane
D: Creati
SSS Tier is just using your first name like Shoto and Tenya

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mountain Lady

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

That's the lowest tier because they specifically choose them because they don't feel ready to choose full names yet, Deku says the same thing about not choosing an All Might inspired. They are S++ rank boys but not hero names.

Mt. Lady is pretty meh both in name and character imo
I read Shoto picking "Shoto" is that he's becoming comfortable with everything that he's willing to be known to the world as his actual first name, Shoto. "I'm Shoto, son of Enji Todoroki and an ice lady, the Number #1 hero and the new symbol of peace". It'd be cool if he chose another name later but seeing him just go up and say "I'm Shoto" feels right for me

you shut the gently caress up about Mt. Lady tho there is not a thing about her that doesn't rule

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
"Here's this lady in her mid to late 20's who's super lazy, vain and likes to eat snacks who uses her sex appeal and her specific fetish Quirk to make easy money as a professional Hero. Her name is Mt. Lady"

"sounds pretty boring"

Mt. Lady is the exact kind of hero Stain would hate which proves that Stain's a stupid idiot

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lmao mt. lady's not deep, she's just funny and relateable, the perfect Millennial Hero

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this thread hates mt. lady, froppy AND my friend tapeboy?

this place sucks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/908154812960718854

these pics couldn't be any smaller but lmao at todoroki being a lovely vampire with half his hair gelled back

e: nvm I got that higber res hook up

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 14, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the author's note for the volume where Shigaraki is introduced is just Horikoshi saying how important he thinks hands are to drawing people also how after Shigaraki he hates drawing them. you may remember that Shigaraki had tons more hands on him in the beginning but now just has his Face Hand

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 14, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Even in the chapter sketches, I don't think he ever draws Uraraka with all her fingers touching something, like holding her pinkies out to eat a burger or w/e, it's cool

ex:

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 14, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ochako and Shigaraki can never fully touch anyone and that's sad

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Idk I think watching someone take the first step to overcoming years of emotional abuse and start becoming who they want to be without worrying about becoming like their abuser while making connections with their loved ones again, all because someone reached out to them without thinking of the consequences is pretty emotional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The page of Ochako's character bio where rather than explain her Quirk in detail or her character he just draws arrows to like her cheeks or the pads of her finger and writes "Very Ochako" or "Quite Ochako"

• Locked thread