Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I love all the little animation bits they gave the characters. Iida's knifehands were on loving point, complete with swish sounds and stuff.
Those super quick textual SFX were great.
After we got past the recaps the whole thing was really fun to watch.

I hope they can keep that up.

E: Cute detail: IIRC if your green tea has a stalk floating vertically that symbolizes good luck. I like how it was just there without being called out.

E2: The show changed networks and apparently got a hold of an even more mainstream timeslot, so I assume all these flashbacks were at least partly to introduce all the new viewers to the universe.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She already has to pay for a shitton of collateral! :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Waffleman_ posted:

Lol if you think she doesn't try that same thing over collateral.

Sure, she tries.

But doesn't work nearly as well! :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The most revealing costume belongs to Hagukure.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wow, the animators' individual styles really shine through on that set.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In the end Momo still hasn't developed the situational awareness and ability to think on her feet the others have been working on, and that, more so than quirk compatibility, was her undoing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The anime's art style is slightly more slender than the manga, although it seems to be applied fairly equally across characters.

To be fair, Horikoshi's designs are kinda on the stocky side.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Yo check what just came out.

(From the volume 14 extras)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The bomb thing was kinda sorta accidental. He definitely wasn't planning for it, since he wasn't planning to use his fire side at all.

What happened is that the supercooled air (because ice) got heated up really fast. If you cool down air, it contracts. If you heat up air, it expands. If you heat up a lot of cold air very fast, then you will have a lot of air expanding very fast.
Which is to say, it goes boom.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zaphod42 posted:

Mic reminds me a whole lot of the dude from Ghost Trick

Midnight reminds me of somebody too but I'm not sure who... maybe a little bit of Ryuko from Kill La Kill? Mixed with like, Bayonetta?

She makes me think of a more angular Hange. Or that glasses girl from Sasuke's squad after he ditches Orochimaru.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Goddamn they really captured the sheer intensity of Stain on those last moments.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He retired a while ago and faded from the public eye. It's not dissimilar to retired movie/etc celebrities.

Endeavor is interesting because his motivation is selfish but at the same time he properly understands the duty of a hero as more than just a villain-puncher. And since he's dedicated to be The Best Hero, he will still put his utmost effort into rescue and protection, even if it he's not naturally selfless. You can more or less see how Bakugou would develop, hero-wise, in him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah absolutely. And I loved seeing the difference in his intro compared to All Might's. With All Might its "Its okay now! Why? Because I am here!" like super reassuring. But with Endeavor the people are like "what are you doing here?" and he's like "Isn't it obivous!? I'm a hero!" like they almost mistake him for a villain at first and he doesn't even get how he comes across.

Remember he said he went on an unplanned business trip. They were probably surprised he was outside his operational area, whereas All Might just goes wherever.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Think of it as less "removing gravity" and more like "subtracting 9.8g↓ from the target's local acceleration vector".

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 14, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Neither started out with a legit plan to win.
Deku was too terrified of All Might to offer anything constructive and Bakugo was so caught up on his issues with Deku he was actually willing to give up a win if it meant cooperating with him.

It took Deku going "yo stop being a loser" for Bakugo to swallow his pride and actually go for the win, it took Bakugo almost throwing the match for Deku to grow a spine. It was only then that they started getting real results.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Radish posted:

Momo is constrained by the fact she uses her own body fuel to create the objects (like poop) so she couldn't really destabilize an country's economy or make a million guns or whatever. She's definitely one of the more broken characters though.

There's a number of extremely valuable yet not very massive objects she could make. Metamaterials, isotopes, rare metals, etc.

Spend a month using the quirk to the limit every day, sell it all at once, watch prices crash.

It probably wouldn't stick long term but it'd be fun if you like to see the world panicking.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Begemot posted:

Yeah don't get too attached to the idea of quirks having a somewhat plausible biological component. There's some stuff that's basically just magic. I mean Todoroki already kind of fits the bill, where does the energy for his fire come from? And Tokoyami straight-up has a stand like a JoJo character.

Honestly I kinda wish the side effects of using his quirk were reversed. Like, if Todoroki uses fire, he should get colder, since he's pushing energy out, and he's using ice he should get hotter, since he's sucking energy in. The end result is basically the same, since he can balance it out with the other side, but it'd appease my physics autism. :v:

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm really curious if horikoshi came up with momo's powerset or personality first

one of my favorite things about mha is seeing how the powers people got lucked into end up influencing who they end up becoming as people; it's not like that for every character but for momo at least it makes absolutely perfect sense that with a quirk like that she'd become an analytical person with great book smarts but struggles at the kind of on-the-fly adaptation other classmates are better at
Pretty sure powerset. Originally she was gonna be an adult but then he thought it'd be more interesting to see somebody with a top tier quirk that is still learning how to hero.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

A lot of the cast shuffled like this, iirc; for example, Mt. Lady was initially going to be a student and fill the role Ochako does now.

More like proto-Ochako got split into Mt. Lady and Ochako. It has traits of both (and dark hair which neither has)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

EmmyOk posted:

the noble spirit of self-sacrifice!!!

Interestingly, the show in general never shows self-sacrifice to be particularly useful or noble. Rescuing people, yeah, but not by taking the shot if they can help it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The anime has a bunch of perfectly timed musical swells that IMO are worth the effort of watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tollymain posted:

i want to see toshinori trying to find a hobby or something because even with being a teacher hes still got a lot more free time than he used to and not a whole lot of things to fill it with

Sounds like the kind of thing that'd go in one of the light novels.

• Locked thread