Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Centzon Totochtin posted:

uniqlo t-shirts when

Seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Petiso posted:

I love that they mimicked the awful coloring job from old western comics.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No fight went longer than one episode which was a great thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

Specifically, this one:

Other than Iida having much heavier armour in the ending (and All Might becoming a Stand), the clothes are identical.

Is this art anywhere without all the text?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks!!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

It's heavily implied by Horikoshi himself in one of his asides in a volume extra.

Yeah he laid it out pretty clear with the kid's picture and everything.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm partial to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7fGHEFPZk

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This can't get enough love.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

When this comic started I thought it was going to be the Deku and Bakugao story with a bunch of ancillary background characters but most of the entire class (Sugar Guy and animal talker have been almost entirely ignored) has been fleshed out to some extent and they are interesting in their own right.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stain saved Deku and wants to kill Endeavor he's alright.

I like both Stain and Shigaraki's designs. Stain is so 90's teenaged-idea-of-cool anti-hero it hurts and I appreciate him in the comic in small doses.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"fault"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

I'm catching up on the dub and holy hell Stain's scene before he passes out after saving Deku is fully sick and insanely good. Really happy with how well they adapted it.

Yeah the scene where Stain's killing will is so strong even Endeavor is taken a back and then they realize he's already passed out is my favorite from the comic and the show did an excellent job with it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've always been glad Deku's bunny ears costume lasted basically one fight then never returned.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

When Mei does come back it owns though.

I hope they do the panel justice.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Double somehow

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah everything I've heard indicated it was junk.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ehh Vigilantes is official but I don't think it's crazy to ignore that particular Midnight thing like it never happened. If they reference it in the main comic then yeah she's female Mineta but until then I'm going to hold that to the other writer taking a character to the extreme because he thought it was funny.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hommando posted:

Mina.

Speaking of Uraraka, Infinity Girl is a way cooler hero name than Uravity.

All of the female students have terrible hero names with the exception of Earphone Jack.

RIP Alien Queen.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I feel like I'm in crazy town here but I hope we can at least admit that Creati sucks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No I mean Momo is great, but her hero name isn't.

Infinity Girl would have been a cool name...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Iida is the best.

Sorry if I gave the impression I was being negative on the characters themselves...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did Bakugau ever end up choosing a name that was allowed?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Most of the hero names are insanely Japanese so I kinda find most of them weak since they operate on puns in a language I don't speak.

Also the thing with this series is that all girls are best girl. It's like Horikoshis greatest feat.

Are they though? It seems like most of the student names are either straight up English or a use English as part of a contraction. I think that the only explicitly Japanese name was Tsukuyomi.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who the hell hates Sero???

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Terper posted:

Hands are important and the anime messes them up, smdh

His consistent commitment to these little details is so amazing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Those kinds of very specific powers would make me nervous to have as a hero fighting supervillains. Like one finger gets hurt and suddenly you are halfway to being quickless.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

I listened to this season's soundtrack. Man this series lucked out getting literally everyone it has involved with it. The director is good, the voice cast is good, the character designer is good, the composer is good, the studio in general hasn't really hosed anything up.

I hope they get everyone back for S3 since it looks like we're getting it.

I wish someone would pick this up for TV in America since it deserves more mainstream success but I dunno if it really fits anywhere. CN wouldn't do what they should do and air it in the afternoon and just deal with anyone complaining about the violence/fanservice, it doesn't really fit Adult Swim IMO, and DisneyXD would mutilate it.

It's funny since at least on the comic level My Hero Academia is crushing DC and Marvel right now. But yeah I'd love some more general exposure for the series.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wish in that first chapter Bakugou had just blown up Deku's notes and told him he was an dumbfuck for thinking he could make it as a quirkless hero. Telling him to kill himself upped him from a bully to a real piece of poo poo which took me a long time to get over and appreciate the entirely of his character and I don't think I'm alone in that. If that was ever addressed again and dealt with it would have been one thing, but it was immediately forgotten since it clashed pretty strongly with the way Horikoshi decided to shape the character into someone with no social graces obsessed with being the top hero but still in his core not a bad person.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 25, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Calmly saying "You should kill yourself" is a lot more real than his standard "DIE!!" catchall battlecry.

It just feels like something that was put in before the characters were really fleshed out which is why Deku never really thinks about it or brings it up.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eej posted:

Horikoshi regrets writing Bakugou so harshly in the first chapter though so it's kinda obvious he went overboard at the start with how much of a giant dick he is.

Where did he say this? This was my feeling but it would be interesting to read about it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Momo is constrained by the fact she uses her own body fuel to create the objects (like poop) so she couldn't really destabilize an country's economy or make a million guns or whatever. She's definitely one of the more broken characters though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the ONLY figures for this series are the two Nendoroids and the two Figmas, both of which are Deku and Bakugou. It's really weird to me how little "good" merchandise there is for this series. Most of it is cellphone straps, stickers, and stuff like that. There's an All Might funko pop but I'm not sure what's what you are looking for.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mineta is tolerable because he is dunked on constantly.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

How the hell did Mineta pass the entrance exam in the first place. I can't imagine him actually destroying any robots with his ability, or rescuing anyone.

Apparently that was a common question! I know this is the anime thread but there are no spoilers here:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Still absolute horseshit that Sero failed when Mineta would have been sleeped otherwise.

Yeah that was lame, especially since Bakugao was also basically carried out and he passed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What is going on in the MHA anime thread??

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fair enough. That was a disturbing topic to wander into wondering if there was a new opening animation or something.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Mineta is a great litmus test. If somebody likes him, they're probably not the best person.

Ironically the author apparently sees him as the most identifiable.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"All that good stuff that happened was totally me you can't prove it wasn't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mineta feels like a vehicle that got put in as an excuse to draw lewd stuff with the female characters he was either imagining or sneaking into places where he shouldn't (like that one changing room shot) but the author decided wisely to not go all the way with it.

• Locked thread