Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really did not expect dude to have purple hair. It's more surprising than Ochako not being blonde.

Of course now [purple hair dude spoiler] I hope they do a good David Tennant impersonation for his dub voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can make tea without needing a kettle

Can you even have real tea without a kettle?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how cocky Class B got with Bakugou at the end.

Congrats on finding a way to push the Deku button while also diverting the rage unto yourselves. I hope your families hold lovely funerals for you all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyte posted:

The most revealing costume belongs to Hagukure.

Nah, it's very modest. Doesn't let you see anything, not even an outline.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ViggyNash posted:

It's also not very good.

There's actually no way to tell since Fairy Tail uses a secret hypnotic design hidden in Natsu's scarf that makes you forget almost everything about it within minutes of consuming it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Endeavor is even a jerk to All Might. Clearly he is the worst. Wouldn't even have tea with the pillar of justice. A shameful dad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like maybe there's some ethical issues with Shinso's Quirk that UA should really address.

There are no ethics in a tournament. Just manly honor and friendship through punching. Shinso's yet to violate the true rules of fighting. Unless you're saying JoJos aren't in possession of manly honor.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just hope Cero gets a sweet 3M sponsorship out of this tournament.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hunt11 posted:

So how does setting oneself on fire help against a foe who can use fire?

Daddy issues TKO.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
A better default is probably a riot shield and one of those fantasy guns that shoots totally safe and effective on everyone tranq darts.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LostRook posted:

I've realized that beyond that first episode being entirely recap the thing that annoys me the most about this season is the Deku crotch-shadow filter someone on the staff seems to love. It lasts for like 20 seconds at the end of the OP and I think they've used it in every episode for no reason.

Just wait for the blue ray and you'll get all those unshadowed crotch shots you're longing for.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zerilan posted:

It was a great plan, but Bakugou is just too strong and is also the best character so everyone should be rooting for him anyway.

Best character is Dekumom, please quit saying she isn't.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Please do not forget perennial popularity poll placer, Midoriya's shoe, in your praise.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, that final attack was beautiful. And almost as powerful as Todoroki's mom's water attack.

Dangerous Person posted:

gently caress Endeavor

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All you need is the scene where he brushes his teeth. If you don't like Bakugou at least a little after that, then you're broken inside.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Iida's brother's quirk is actually dispensing ketchup.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Martytoof posted:

At last some more plot. I thought we would be stuck in this neverending god forsaken sports festival for the next twenty episodes.

The sports festival is plot. Hell Deku's last match was nothing but character development.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terper posted:

I can't believe Orochimaru was hiding behind Aizawa's bandages this whole time.

Aizawa is our Kakashi. It's either Midnight or Cementos who are Orochimaru.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

All Might is All Right: The My Hero Academia Season 2 Thread: Nobody is Sasuke

E: anime-only people come back and check this out in about 3 days.

I hope somebody colors that edit so it looks like a still from the anime once it gets there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I never noticed that in addition to being literal speed machines the Tenya crew also have arrow eyebrows.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Where's the PR campaign pic of Bakugo kissing a baby

All the negatives exploded.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So is Deku's handwriting janky due to his extensive arm and hand injuries or because of his air chair exercises?

Also Deku Mom is best mom.

Elmon posted:

I'm worried that he is going to be Sauske.

Looks like we should be more worried that he'll go full Raphael.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope this is a series. Uravity lifting weights, Shinso in a debate, Iida running a race, and so on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
A lady at work got a fidget cube for her son and let us play around with it. I do not understand the appeal of those things at all. At least the spinners light up and provide a whoosing noise to go with their twirliness.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Indiana_Krom posted:

Looking closer, each character in that image has the roman numerals of their rank somewhere on themselves or their equipment.

I don't see any roman numerals on Deku's shoe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PMush Perfect posted:

But... Batman.

Cowl.

Not my Deku.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Just finished I shed season 1, and there is one question that I've been burning to ask the internet. Could All Might beat Goku?

All Might only fights bad guys. So if he's fighting Goku, Goku is a bad guy. The Pillar of Justice does not lose to bad guys.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

I thought the Zolo romanization of Zoro was literally a copyright issue.

Zorro is out of copyright, but the family of a guy who knew the original creator have been suing about it for a few decades now. They keep losing, but when 4Kids originally did their dub the matter was currently being litigated.

Of course Zoro is spelled with one "r" and bears no resemblance to the alter ego of Don Diego Vega so there was never really any chance that a court was going to rule against One Piece.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lord Koth posted:

...Probably because a lot of those character concepts go back a lot further than x anime, so of course the same tropes will come up over and over.

Hell, given Deku's both extremely analytical and was flat out given his powers because of his heroic spirit, rather than just "trained really hard," he's a lot more similar to characters in the vein of Captain America than literally any character in Naruto.

Deku strikes me as a Pulp Hero with a Silver Age twist. All Might of course being Golden Age with a Silver Age sheen. Both of course first having taken a trip through a Japanese filter.

Stain is of course 90s as gently caress.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Still want to know what's going on in the cell that holds Bale Wayne, Bale Batman, Neeson Ra's(?), and a black R2 unit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who will represent the Bronze Age. Also, what's the age after that called?

The Modern Age is after the Bronze Age. Though the first half or so of the Modern Age is also called the Dark age.

Golden Age: Later 30's - Early 50's
Silver Age: 1956-1970
Bronze Age: 1970-1985
Modern Age: 1985-Now

The Modern Age should probably be broken up by now, probably have it end with the Great Crash and after the crash to now be the new Modern Age.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EmmyOk posted:

What do those terms mean outside of years?

The time prior to the Golden Age was all the Pulp Heroes and was primarily found in Comic Strips that ran in newspapers. Slowly comic strips as stand alone media became a thing, going from collections of previous newspaper strips, to newspaper inserts, to stand alone magazines. Comedy, gags, and, I think, horror are the main genres.

The Golden Age is the introduction of Superheroes. Officially starting with Action Comics #1 and Superman. Often comics would carry a message. Superman was super lefty and would regularly take on rich assholes and try and help the poor. Wonder Woman pushed feminism and light bondage. Batman's war on crime had actual messages. Then World War 2 came along and everyone got patriotic as gently caress. However as the Golden Age wound down Superheroes began to be less popular and the Comics Code was introduced because dumb assholes started a congressional investigation because nobody was thinking of the children. It was very Freudian as the nation was told about all the gay things trying to make children gay. Also, Wonder Woman kind of didn't help but wasn't really the focus because it wasn't about making little boys gay. At the end of the Golden Age superheroes were fading away and the popular comics were romance, horror, mystery, and gag comics.

The Silver Age is more or less Adam West Batman writ large. The beginning of the Silver Age is the creation of The Flash, the first new superhero to catch on. At the time of Flash's creation Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were the only superheroes who still had their own, stand alone, comics. The implementation of the Comics Code, done to keep Congress from regulating comics much like the MPAA and ESRB, pushed publishers to focus once more on superheroes. However due to the Comics Code there was a whole lot less messages and a whole lot more wacky adventures. This is when Superman was a giant dick to all his friends, especially Jimmy, and Batman would be Adam West as all gently caress. This is the era most people think of as virtually all popular comics media of film and TV focused on this until very recently. Super Friends, Linda Carter Wonder Woman, Live Action Spiderman.

The Bronze Age is when comics decided to once again incorporate social issue messages into comics. There is no real delineating event that divides the Silver and Bronze Ages. A popular early early example is when Green Lantern and Green Arrow started teaming up and going around the US. Obviously everything wasn't all about social issues and stuff. But the tone of comics was generally darker than in the Silver Age. More "down to Earth". This is also when minority superheroes started popping up. Due to revisions in the Comics Code non-superhero genres began making a comeback. Also this is when characters like Ghost Rider and Kamandi came out, dealing less with super heroics and more with more genre specific action. Pulp heroes also got a new lease on publication after Conan got a comic that, I think, is still running. Additionally the comics companies started publishing official adaptations/tie ins with Hollywood movies.

The Modern Age is everything after that. Started off more or less with the now annual and usually tiresome event cross over. Of course then it was a fairly fresh and newish idea, DC having Crisis on Infinite Earths and Marvel having Secret Wars. This is also when Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are published. The popularity of which lead directly into the Dark Age where everything was grim and gritty and the anti-hero reigned.

Edit: Guess I shouldn't have spent so much time trying to find pictures. Pre-Golden Age took forever because I don't know jack about it and I didn't feel like posting something super racist.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 23, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PMush Perfect posted:

Some people do exactly that.

Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron, Aluminum.

I'd disagree, and cite Amazing Spider-Man #96, 1971. It was, if not the first, at least the first mainstream comic to buck the control of the CCA's increasingly byzantine and self-defeating rules, which started the snowball rolling.

Green Lantern and Green Arrow had already realized that racism and drugs were issues by that point. Really the difference is that both the Golden and Silver Ages begin with the creation of a specific character, meanwhile the Bronze and Modern Ages are more or less tone changes that happen in the same time frame.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brother Entropy posted:

not really

mha is obviously informed and inspired by those comics but it lacks a lot of the garbage that's festered in marvel and dc comics by dint of being a singular earnest story told by one person+his assistants and not just an endless churning of event comics that only still exist to be a testbed for what characters or stories will show up in financially profitable mediums 5-10 years from now

A lot of the C and D list Marvel and DC characters have runs that are basically one author's story for an extended period. They aren't really like MHA, but Moon Knight and The Question have both had multiple runs where one author tells an interesting story that's fairly self contained. Aquaman had that for a while with Sword of Atlantis and the Blue Beetle comics were also generally good examples of that. Plus the major companies will put out things that are min/maxi series about just some group or hero, like Nextwave.

Pick up a trade paperback and it'll generally be one author/team doing their thing for a while. If there's actual backstory you need to know it'll be a couple paragraphs at the beginning or told in story. The big difference isn't that Marvel and DC won't let you follow one authorial voice, it's that they aren't going to let you do it for the entire life of a character/team and probably not for more than a couple years or so.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 23, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brother Entropy posted:

i read comics for like six years dude i know this

it just stopped being worth my time to wade through the poo poo

I think I just quoted the wrong person. It does seem like you're more likely to get burned out and throw your hands up with DC/Marvel/Image/Whatever than other general classifications of comics though. It's like they go out of their way to try and force aggressively bad things on you, especially with major crossover events.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kaubocks posted:

sometimes i wonder how people learned they had what quirk they have. like that one guy that can apparently curve bullets-- did he just grow up not thinking he had a quirk until he was a teenager and went to the firing range for fun and had his mind blown and world turned upside down? are they giving guns to kindergarteners?

does stains quirk work on himself? did he just get a nasty paper cut one day and went to suck his finger and found himself paralyzed on the ground?

also with the explanation of what stains quirk really is i appreciate how loving jacked that dude must be to be able to land blows on heroes more or less as a regular human dude until he can pull off his bullshit.

Kids have a general idea of what type of quirk they'll have since it's generally a variation or combination of their parents' quirks. Bullet guy probably has a quirk from the same type as Deku's mom, who has a low level attractive telekinesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There are no weaknesses in Alien Queen. She even goes by the alias Pinky as an awesomeness redundancy.

• Locked thread