Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

El Burbo posted:

Izuku should probably find things to do other than watch that video for the five billionth time, though

I relate to him because I watch All Might clips billions of times IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonny Strait is sick so this week's dubbed episode will have an understudy for Present Mic, which is maybe a problem inherent in this way of doing it.

I don't know why I hadn't considered that this could happen. Here's hoping it's not too jarring, especially since I'm really digging the simuldub idea in general.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Petiso posted:

I love that they mimicked the awful coloring job from old western comics.

I think it was originally less awful on purpose, and more done to limit the number of colors on the page for printing reasons back in the day, and it just stuck as an aesthetic.

Either way those own.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

You Say Run is the best hype track. I love this series.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I think the main problem people have with tournament arcs are that they feel like a running stretch of foregone conclusions with almost no stakes. The only way they work is as a vehicle to get two characters who would never otherwise fight each other to do just that. It's an opportunity to have some characters lose (or win) safely and pivot their development.

I think what makes the tournament arc in MHA bearable (and at times truly excellent) is the recognition of those facts to pretty much their utmost potential. The fact that most of the matches go pretty quickly is just acknowledgement of the weakness of this particular story device.

Essentially this is as good as a tournament gets, and it's drat good.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I got choked up when they played a more tender version of the intro over Todoroki's flashback with his mom.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Funimation has been doing some excellent dub work for the last few years now all around. Their script writing/localization usually makes for an equal-or-better experience compared to subtitles. Helps too when their casting pool is as huge as it is. Even when they bring in Chris Sabat we're still far removed from the time when Steve Blum/Wendy Lee voiced everyone in everything.

I can't really imagine what kind of work flow goes behind their simuldubs, especially when they kept up with the actual weekly releases for as long as they did.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still not a fan of the name cards in literally every episode.

It feels a bit patronizing.

Especially when they put one up for Deku.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I've gotten over Mineta if only because discussing his character is a laborious way to kill a perfectly good thread about a perfectly good show.

e: He ruins the manga thread whenever brought up, too. If I hate his character for any reason, it's the dozens of pages of rote, subjective discussion on his merits and lack thereof.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Froppy is the best possible hero name.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I sympathized with Bakugou quite a bit during the festival arc. People dealt him a lot of poo poo for basically just wanting to be met with a challenge and come out on top. He doesnt underestimate his opponents and he has a very firm grasp on combat strategy and quirk limitations. From the outside it looks like he's barely trying, but from his point of view everyone else is just kind of screwing around.

There's a moment right after his fight with Uraraka where he's contemplating how far he pushed his quirk to overcome her last attack, and his classmates are like "must be nice for everything to come so easy" (paraphrasing) and the thing they're missing is that it doesn't. He doesn't correct them on it because it's not something he feels he needs to do - it doesn't matter.

He's a lovely person for telling Deku to go kill himself, among other things, and doesn't embody the friendly do-gooder hero archetype, sure. But its evident there's more there, and sorta like Endeavor he's the kind of dude you're glad is on your side when it comes down to it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Hommando posted:

I thought it was weird Izuku was surprised by how painful it was to use Bakugou's arm cannons. This is a dude who used to have to break his bones just to use his powers.

I don't think the point was that it hurt relative to liquifying your limbs, but more like "Bakugou makes this look easy".

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The point is that they're both wrong. You can't just run from All Might and you can't straight up fight him either.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

His plan is straight up to win a head-on fight, he says and tries to do as much before Deku pulls him into the alley where they finally start working together.

It's not that his idea was dumb, but more that All Might is is unfathomably strong, which is something Deku has a better understanding of than anyone.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

My opinion is that the dub is incredibly good and has superb localized line writing. Everyone should feel confident in their choice of voiceover.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

They had a Tsuyu shirt a couple weeks ago that was much cuter

e: this one https://twitter.com/theyetee/status/910292641128095744

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 19, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I wouldn't say Sero didn't help, because him saving Mineta ultimately wins them the round, but I think the idea is that he should have been more effective than he wound up being.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

There's a really negative stigma around recklessness in the series, even if for the good of another. They don't let the students get into the mentality where the ends justify the means and I really like that about it.

Even All Might is a bit concerned about Midoriya taking things too far in the tournament, but he also obviously values that heroic quality in him. The spirit of self sacrifice is what's important, not the sacrifice itself.

As proof, even though he has the most bombastic and tightly contested match in the tournament, no one followed up with Deku for internship. It's implied (and stated by Mineta) that the methods he employed in the fight were the reason why.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Eela6 posted:

On and off. I don't think anyone thinks the show is awful or anything, but I think there's a bit of blowback from how much attention it gets compared to subforum faves (eg, with the recent anime awards).

Ed: on re-reading no one really did that? So congratulations to me for taking a tough stand against something no one disagrees with, wow, I'm so brave

I don't think anyone here would put someone down for saying MHA is their favorite series, but it's probably not going to win any 'AOTY' awards, for as little as they matter.

I mean, it's a good series and as anime go it has killer production chops, but it's still shounen so there's always going to be an air of self indulgence to watching it because that's by and large what the genre is about.

If the question is "What's was the best anime of the past year?" I'm probably going to pick something that took more risks or had something poignant and interesting to say. I'd name something that's undeniably a work of art or a masterwork within it's genre from start to finish. I probably wouldn't pick an on-going shounen series with plenty of room left to flourish or fail.

However, if you asked me what I had the most fun watching in that same time span, it would definitely be the 22 minutes Deku spent punching some sense into Todoroki.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Eela6 posted:

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by self-indulgent as a criticism. MHA seems way less self-indulgent than a lot of comparable series. The plot and characters don't line up to slobber all over Deku's knob, and a wide variety of characters are portrayed as real, fallible people with strengths and weaknesses who need to grow and change and work together. It's not just 'waiting for goku'.

Plus, perennial ADRTW favorites Symphogear and Gurren Lagann are insanely self-indulgent and that's a huge part of why I like them.

Shounen is basically reader wish-fulfillment. It's targeted at young boys so it can't ever get too dark, or too complicated. It's serialized in a weekly publication so it has to play to an audience.

It's sort of like professional wrestling in a lot of ways, for better and for worse. That's what I mean by self-indulgent. It's basically a performance.

I love it. I want other people to love it. It's also in acknowledgment that it's appealing to some really basic parts of my brain, the parts that like things being punched really hard, underdog stories, and emotional drum fills paired with swelling violin.

I don't really want to get stuck in this whole discussion loop because really, if it's someone's favorite series ever - that's totally fine. There's better stuff out there for the ~discerning critic~, and also tons worse. I'm just trying to explain why it's not exactly ridiculous for it to lose out (or even fail to be considered) in mostly-pointless AOTY discussions.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The only reason I hate Mineta is that he ruins both threads every time we talk about him.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Eela6 posted:

Dude dis c'mon. What I'm trying to say is, I think My Hero Academia S2 is better than any anime that aired in say, 2016.

Mob Psycho 100 would probably beg to differ, off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

You Say Run adds enough on its own to say that watching the anime is worth it.

• Locked thread