Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

-Consistently votes against my best interests because of emotional identity issues.
-Consistently supports economic ideology that has resulted in my town's main street being abandoned and quality of life nosediving.
-Demands government "do something" about current depressing local economic situation, but at the same time hates government and thinks they shouldn't do anything.
-Rather continue to live in hopeless poverty so long as the blacks don't get any handouts either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Despite my town's economy having dried up 30 years ago and being a massive net tax drain on the region due to being totally economically and culturally irrelevant and rife with unemployment I still think it's cities that are the takers and small town americans like me are the lifeblood of the country and if we just cut taxes and handouts to those city folk we'd make america great again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

-Moves to bigger city to get a real job, experiences minor culture shock but is temporary and ends up growing as a person.
-Constantly brings up "in my small town back home" to friends and tells how much more friendly and slow paced life was there.
-Goes back to small town, can't figure out if it's gotten worse or just noticing how terrible it always was but now it just seems depressing as poo poo.
-City now feels like home.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thinks small town people are kind and well mannered and city folk are all rude and terrible because:
-I was just standing in the middle of one of those fancy moving stairways and people kept saying "excuse me" and trying to get past me. Why is everyone always in a rush??? Don't tread on me!!!
-I wanted to ride one of those underground devil trains and despite being first in line at the door when it arrived everyone getting off PUSHED ME out of the way!
-I'm just walkin' at an easy pace down the very middle of the sidewalk and people keep aggressively passing me and someone even bumped into me when I stopped to stare at an interracial couple across the street.
-Apparently I'm riding this "elevator" thing wrong too?? I don't even know what I did but I keep getting dirty looks. I think they just hate real americans.
-I've written off 99% of the events and activities here as too fancy or weird or not for me while at the same time declared the city boring and just like my small town but expensive and everyone's mean.
-It's so hard to get around!!! The metro was a no-go and I get tired and stressed walking but there's no free parking anywhere and everyone's honking at me.
-All the staff at businesses I try to chat with seem disinterested and rude, ain't nobody friendly here and everyone in the huge line behind me was giving me dirty looks.
-I keep getting dirty looks! I can't be unaware of some basic social rules that I keep breaking and people keep gently trying to correct, it's because city folk are rude and judge rurals like me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Repo Man posted:

Many years ago I realized that some people like small town life, and view the narrow minded conservatism that almost always accompanies this as part of the price you have to pay. Others prefer small town life precisely because of this.

People who claim the former are just using it as a cover for the later.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend was dating a lady from a tiny middle of the nowhere religious town. She first moved to Vancouver and and it was a big jump from her village of like a few hundred but she survived. Now she lives in Victoria and still finds it a bit too big but it's ok for her, especially after Vancouver. She was perfectly nice and fine but was really into sports and would want to watch Hockey on TV if there was a "big game" on and would always get frustrated because absolutely no one in anyone's social circle watched Hockey or understood why she was excited or upset about a sport thing that happened. She'd have to call her small town family back home for that.

Clearly people in cities like Hockey though because that's where the arenas and major teams are. But I have noticed people from small towns are often way more into sports. I think playing a sport like Hockey is just too expensive in a big city so it's more of a small town/suburban thing these days, specially if your small town actually gets winter with actual ice outside.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bonzo posted:

There are only 10 cities in all of Canada that have population of <500,000 and every small township and community has a local rink for hockey, ringette and curling. In the winter they are usually the only place were you can socialize with the rest of the town.

Yeah, hockey and the local arena are like the social hubs of small Canadian towns and generally every kid learns to skate and at least plays some hockey at some point in their life. In Victoria/Vancouver though this super isn't the case, both from the different climate that doesn't really have "proper" winter and that Hockey requires a ton of expensive gear and "ice time" is really expensive here so it's mostly just a sport rich suburban kids do. Also hockey gear takes up a ton of space and if you're just renting a little apartment because housing prices are loving insane it's not just that you can't afford hockey, you physically don't have the space to put aside for it. Even when I was a kid in the 80's no one really did hockey as a kid. I think in my class maybe 1 kid did. But I'll talk to a friend from small-town-BC and they're shocked, everyone played hockey or had lessons or at least owned a stick and some skates. How can you even be Canadian and not???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Agean90 posted:

Yeah were mostly a logging town here

Oh yeah /that/ book. yeah it's helped the town out but we dont like to talk about it a lot

Yeah those people are nuts. Say you know where the fish are biting?

Figured as much, the wild steelhead don't come in till later in the month. Nice rig by the way

Yeah mines new. got it a month ago. The old lady wasnt pleased to here how much the lift kit costed around with it.

Yeah hard times for everyone, whole towns just scraping by. Take it easy brother

Forks, WA

Sounds a lot like Port Angeles too. God that's a depressing little town but pretty much all small towns are dying and depressing unless they've found some sort of tourist or rich people serving niche.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a totally hosed up homeless guy I see a lot. Like he's totally totally hosed and should be in some sort of institution not on the street. Found out he was a dude who moved here from a small town from a "good family" to finish university and was working a nice office job and was seen as the classic "person most likely to succeed" from his tiny home town. He got into the club scene and drinking and within a year managed to OD so bad he got hosed up permanent brain damage and now he's just living on the street alone because his super conservative small town family obviously had to disown their drug addict son. hosed up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*dies falling off cliff that I throw raccoons off after I live trap them on my property* (this was the talk of a small town I visited recently)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*moves to a beautiful small island that some how got a massive ugly suburban development on it*
*enshrines the fact that the island is for HOME OWNERS and not filthy renters or tourists through the island's zoning*
*complains non-stop that the island just doesn't have enough infrastructure or services to live there full time with a family but fights tooth and nail every possible property tax increase*
*complains non-stop that the ferry to the island is too expensive and the government needs to subsidize it even more than they already do*
*complains non-stop that local shops on the island are closing down due to lack of local customers and tourists and how it feels like a ghost town and how every other "cabin" seems to be for sale*
*votes no on every attempt to relax zoning to allow people to rent their cabins out on airbnb so that the island can attract more tourists since the few official places to stay are really expensive and half the houses on the island are for sale because people can't afford to let them sit empty for 10 months a year*
*continues to complain about the lack of shops and services on the island, but at least they saved it from renter scum that would destroy everything*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arrhythmia posted:

so, uh, did the gulf islands kill a family member of yours or...?

I go to pender sometimes and get to hear all the whining from the rich people who can afford to leave their houses empty vs the desperation of the actual locals. The rich people are 100% fine with everything that supports the full time residents dying off so long as the proles are kept out.

• Locked thread