Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

biscuits and crazy posted:

1. Lise (Party leader)
2. Hawk
3. Angela

All three of these are good choices for the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It looks like we're heading to a Duran/Angela story or a Hawk/Lise story. Get your votes in to decide which. Voting will close around midnight GMT tomorrow.

Still going with Hawk/Lise for the hardest final boss. If it's the rebalanced challenge version of the game, might as well go all out. Especially since the secret boss is apparently in all three story lines now instead of just Duran/Angela.

Lise/Hawk/Angela is going to be a weird comp though, I think. None of your characters are able to learn Heal Light, which I can see being a major problem depending on just how hard this version of the game is. Without it you'll end up dependent on buying mass amounts of Poto Oil from the black market if you want multi-target healing, and you won't have a character with Tinkle Rain either so you'll need to devote item ring slots to anti-status effect items as well. Looking at the forums for this mod apparently it's difficult enough that certain comps aren't really viable to beat the game, I don't know if the current setup determined by the vote count will work out.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
1) Angela
2) Hawk
3) Kevin

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Still going with Hawk/Lise for the hardest final boss. If it's the rebalanced challenge version of the game, might as well go all out. Especially since the secret boss is apparently in all three story lines now instead of just Duran/Angela.

Lise/Hawk/Angela is going to be a weird comp though, I think. None of your characters are able to learn Heal Light, which I can see being a major problem depending on just how hard this version of the game is. Without it you'll end up dependent on buying mass amounts of Poto Oil from the black market if you want multi-target healing, and you won't have a character with Tinkle Rain either so you'll need to devote item ring slots to anti-status effect items as well. Looking at the forums for this mod apparently it's difficult enough that certain comps aren't really viable to beat the game, I don't know if the current setup determined by the vote count will work out.

I'm aware of the potential problems. We'll do everything we can to make a normal mode run work, but if need be we'll drop the difficulty. But I've beaten the game with no healers more times than I can count.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

1. Lise
2. Hawk
3. Kevin

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm aware of the potential problems. We'll do everything we can to make a normal mode run work, but if need be we'll drop the difficulty. But I've beaten the game with no healers more times than I can count.

This is doable in the unpatched game even if you don't use Poto Oils; Pakkun Chocolates are 300HP apiece and you can carry huge numbers of them. You just can only use a max of 9 per fight, which can get problematic in the late game. But the parties that lack Heal Light tend to be able to faceroll bosses pretty well. The main problem is that constantly accessing storage to retrieve more chocolates is kind of a pain in the rear end.

In the patched game...who knows? Does the Black Market still even exist? Don't answer that, by the way. Let the LP get to it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. Angela (party leader)
2. Duran
3. Lise

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is doable in the unpatched game even if you don't use Poto Oils; Pakkun Chocolates are 300HP apiece and you can carry huge numbers of them. You just can only use a max of 9 per fight, which can get problematic in the late game. But the parties that lack Heal Light tend to be able to faceroll bosses pretty well. The main problem is that constantly accessing storage to retrieve more chocolates is kind of a pain in the rear end.

In the patched game...who knows? Does the Black Market still even exist? Don't answer that, by the way. Let the LP get to it.
The (unpatched) game basically has to be viable without using healers, given that only 3 of the 6 characters even can learn a direct healing spell...and two of them are reliant on picking a particular class change. And between the various healing items available, it basically is.

That said, given that hardtype mods usually disable the most powerful thing in the game, I'm fully expecting Poto Oils to either not exist or be super-rare.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Put down another for 1. Angela, 2. Duran, 3. Lise.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

biscuits and crazy posted:

1. Lise (Party leader)
2. Hawk
3. Angela

This.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey! No double voting!

Totals are currently

Lise at 66
Angela at 61
Hawk at 35
Duran at 31
Kevin at 23
Carlie at 12.

Voting will close in 8 hours time.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Looks like you missed my vote in your spreadsheet.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I've seen Angela as the party lead in a previous LP, so I'm leaning towards...

1. Kevin
2. Duran
3. Hawk

..to get the Bro-ad Trip going.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
1. Lise (party leader)
2. Angela
3. Hawk

Well, Lise and Angela seem rather safe at this point.

Anyway, unless the difficulty got cranked up way too much, this should be doable as long as we pick sensible classes. But then, if this patch i supposed to balance the game, maybe all class combinations now work? The safest bet would be Star Lancer, Ninja Master and Whatever (I prefer Grand Divina though) based on what I know about the unpatched version.

Edit: It seems this patch gave Heal Light to characters who previously didn't have it.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 25, 2017

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
When my sister and I ran through the game we did it as:

1. Hawk (Party Leader)
2. Angela
3. Lise

I played Hawk and my sister was Angela. We had absolutely no heals and during the last boss we actually had to heal MP and even HP by letting ourselves die and then reviving for a full heal. There was even a time when we purposefully ran Angela into stuff to kill her so we could get her back to 99 MP and keep trucking. We ran out of all healing items and had one revival item before we dropped the boss at ten levels below the recommended level the guide had for us.

It was the coolest feeling and we made up a rap about it. We were like 12 so it was obviously lovely, but at least it rhymed.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Lise (The only one who can lead their way out of a paper bag)
Angela
Kevin (woof)

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

That's odd, my vote for Duran is in the spreadsheet as a vote for Angela.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Oh whoops, thought we were starting again with a new bracket, sorry.

Though if this patch makes more classes viable that should be good.(I remember Ranger Hawk being awful in the original compared to his Ninja line)

DFlux fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 25, 2017

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Kevin (Party Leader)
Carlie
Duran

I'm sort of meta-voting here, I don't actually want Carlie or Duran, only Kevin. Kevin the best.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is there a download link for this mod? Because I had this weird urge recently to replay SD3, and this mod seems like a good reason to give it a shot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hello all i can promise that i will be taking this game very seriouslahahhahahahahhahahahahah

yep couldn't finish that one with a straight face, i am gonna take the burliest screwball you let us have (even if that's lise) and punch things directly in the nutsack

it's gonna OWN

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

hello all i can promise that i will be taking this game very seriouslahahhahahahahhahahahahah

yep couldn't finish that one with a straight face, i am gonna take the burliest screwball you let us have (even if that's lise) and punch things directly in the nutsack

it's gonna OWN

Play as Angela, put every point you can into Strength. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there a download link for this mod? Because I had this weird urge recently to replay SD3, and this mod seems like a good reason to give it a shot.

the thread for the patch is here, and links to an ips patch. as such it is not :filez:. you will need to find the actual ROM on your own per long standing rules.

DFlux posted:

Oh whoops, thought we were starting again with a new bracket, sorry.

Though if this patch makes more classes viable that should be good.(I remember Ranger Hawk being awful in the original compared to his Ninja line)

ranger hawk, weirdly, is STILL one of the better classes in the game simply because hawk's dual-attack is so good. that said, yes, his dark evolutions are much better than his light ones because he gets a lot more attack power and can both damage and debuff enemies elementally. it's kind of absurd, really.

Rangpur posted:

I've seen Angela as the party lead in a previous LP, so I'm leaning towards...

1. Kevin
2. Duran
3. Hawk

..to get the Bro-ad Trip going.

this seems like baiting for photoshops of the euro trip movie

i approve.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Looking at the forums for this mod apparently it's difficult enough that certain comps aren't really viable to beat the game, I don't know if the current setup determined by the vote count will work out.
it's worth noting that we are not playing the full on hardtype hack, we are playing the normaltype version which keeps enemy damage and HP numbers close to where they were in the base game, save for bug fixes and AI fixes that can make certain enemy types and bosses more deadly by fixing exploits and such. both tea and i are very familiar with the base game so i'm about 85% sure we'll be able to work with whatever you throw at us.

Play as Angela, put every point you can into Strength. :v:

:ok:

e: drat now i wanna punch a skeleton in the nutsack

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 25, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Voting is Closed

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c2EVB2IPjmnhYONzcn52G1ykpYvf9iWFJH1UF78q30A/edit#gid=0

Your party leader with a total of 76 points is the Amazoness Princess Lise.

In second place, with a respectable 67 points is the Princess of Altena, Angela.

And in third, with 42 points is the thief of Navarre Hawk.

As Hawk and Lise share a story I'm making an executive decision to have Hawk be the second party member we get for more interesting dialogue.

The background party will be Duran, Kevin and Carlie with Duran in the lead. I'll play through with them behind the main LP and have alternate videos where there's significant path divergence.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The background party will be Duran, Kevin and Carlie with Duran in the lead. I'll play through with them behind the main LP and have alternate videos where there's significant path divergence.

A.k.a. Team Shallow Motivations and Bad English. On the other hand I expect they'll have a pretty easy time of it what with having the two most shitkicker-y characters backed by the dedicated healer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's for the best anyway. angela is a complete liability before we recover Wisp.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Coolguye posted:

the thread for the patch is here, and links to an ips patch. as such it is not :filez:. you will need to find the actual ROM on your own per long standing rules.

Is there a recommended bugfix/improvement patch that doesn't alter the difficulty in any meaningful way? I've been meaning to give the game another shot, since I never really got into it as much as SoM.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

A.k.a. Team Shallow Motivations and Bad English. On the other hand I expect they'll have a pretty easy time of it what with having the two most shitkicker-y characters backed by the dedicated healer.

It'll be interesting to see the changes the patch made to a traditionally grossly overpowered group too.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
We've already been told that the patch nerfes Hawk's and Kevin's damage output. If the patch also fixes the bug with Kevin where he gets a power up applied to him every time he gets attacked while in werewolf form, then he has lost his status as overpowered.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is there a recommended bugfix/improvement patch that doesn't alter the difficulty in any meaningful way? I've been meaning to give the game another shot, since I never really got into it as much as SoM.

So this is weird.

There is a patch that fixes all the bugs in the game and does nothing else. But this makes things really weird. Certain bosses become immune to physical damage because they have crazy high evasion, eventually the party becomes nearly immune to physical damage because of their evasion. Early on the game is harder because crits from opponents will just kill you.

I would recommend just playing the base game with no fixes to start off with.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Honestly, I'd just go ahead and play the vanilla game. None of the bugs are game-breaking, detract from enjoyment of the game, or tbh, are even things that you're likely to notice even *exist* unless you're paying super-close attention.

An example is Critical Hits. In the vanilla game, Critical hits have a set chance of ~0% (i.e., basically never occur), whereas they're intended to be dealt at a chance between ~2% and ~20% based on your stats. Is not having critical hits going to affect your enjoyment of the game? Not particularly. Would you have known this bug even exists if I hadn't just told you? Probably not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the thing to note on the bug front is that a nontrivial number of them were intentionally left in the game because square ran out of time to fix them in a sane way. simply undoing the damage there causes larger problems, most notably the immunity to physical damage.

get the normaltype hack and play along with us there if you would like to give the game another shot.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

missed this earlier, but if you'd like to do this, just grab the Easytype version of the linked hack. where the Hardtype version of the hack rather arbitrarily amps up enemy damage and health, the Easytype hack arbitrarily cranks it down.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 27, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
This is a "good game" and we picked a "good party".

I honestly think that hawk/lise have the best story/boss. Plus they're a great team if you pick the right classes for them. Now Angela might not have been my third pick, but maybe the patch gave a heal to one of these 3 somewhere.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Healing is for losers who don't kill things well enough.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

neongrey posted:

Healing is for losers who don't kill things well enough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 01: I'm going to have to learn how to fade in

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this was altogether too much fun to watch.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Ah I'm sure it'll be fine. *enemies pull out poison and level 2 techs with sky high evade* *first game over ten minutes in*

This will be a treat, Hahahaha.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Safe to say this patch does not gently caress around then

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, silhouette slice! That's amazing, a very good episode.

Now I worry that going without healer might have been a mistake :ohdear:

And I support your appreciation for SD3's soundtrack, imho it's the best SNES soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Wow, silhouette slice! That's amazing, a very good episode.

Now I worry that going without healer might have been a mistake :ohdear:

And I support your appreciation for SD3's soundtrack, imho it's the best SNES soundtrack.

the game has made some considerations for no-healer runs that we will see in the next ep

• Locked thread