Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dirk the Average posted:

Quick question because I haven't gone this far through the base game - but why on earth are you killing both heads in a fight where the boss regenerates them? I get that you want to kill one, but from a lot of fights in that era, it was super common for the strategy to be to kill one of the two regenerating things and then kill the main boss so that it wouldn't regenerate them both. It also means that you're pouring literally thousands of damage into a target that isn't the main boss.

In the base game the regeneration does not happen consistently - it's a common fiat for the regeneration to happen only once or twice in games like this. That was the assumption we were operating under for the first phase of this fight.

As you'll see later, I noticed the pattern after the second regeneration and confirmed it on the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seconding Coolguye on Aura Ball, I went and checked and on the first attempt against Zable Fahr Hawk definitely did NOT have Aura Ball as a spell.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
On a scale of 1 - Dolan, how much are you looking forward to this.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Omnicrom posted:

Seconding Coolguye on Aura Ball, I went and checked and on the first attempt against Zable Fahr Hawk definitely did NOT have Aura Ball as a spell.

Looking at Hawk's Wanderer skill set, it looks to be that he learns Energy Ball at 21 Spirit, which, looking at the previous two episodes, seems to have happened during off screen grinding

Wanderer: 27/31/30/29/30/32
--Arrows (phys), Sleep Flower* (16 INT), Body Change* (17 INT), Poison Bubble (Tree, 18 INT), Lunatic (19 INT), Anti-Magic (20 INT), Transshape (16 PIE), Life Booster (17 PIE), Aura Wave (18 PIE), Half Vanish (19 PIE), Mind Up (20 PIE), Energy Ball (21 PIE)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Unlike Dolan, there's a couple of really cool moments in this marathon of murder and one hell of an ending. Dolan just left me feeling drained and defeated even after we won. That is not the case here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Coolguye posted:

In the base game the regeneration does not happen consistently - it's a common fiat for the regeneration to happen only once or twice in games like this. That was the assumption we were operating under for the first phase of this fight.

As you'll see later, I noticed the pattern after the second regeneration and confirmed it on the third.

To second this, in the base game Zabl Fahr's regeneration happens about twice for most parties and isn't instant. Usually you have a good amount of time beating on her before the heads come back.

Zenithe posted:

We lost to Dolan because of weird timing and bugs, there are no bugs with this fight like, so it's nowhere near as bad.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I always thought that Regeneration just never happened unless you killed both of them, but I suppose in the base game it's not a problem to just keep them all alive and focus on the center, so I never really dabbled in it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I rather enjoy the fact that you are literally throwing money at Zable Fahr in order to win.

You spent lots of gold to get coins of light, which you are then chucking as hard as you can (judging by Angela's item use animation) at the magic head.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 58: We Couldn't Have Known

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This fuckin fight

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Is this the episode where I did long multiplication

I can't watch it right now

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yes, it was very long, good job.

Kronoan
Nov 3, 2016
Hey there! One of my first posts in SA, been reading this from the beginning! You guys ... I wince a lot when I watch you yeah, but your voices rock! :) I still really enjoy watching you for strategies on what to do for Bosses etc. :)

I Like Swords!
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Kronoan fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 28, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 59: Praetarius What the Hell Was That

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Congratulations!... I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FLEXIN

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I love how annoyed Praetarius is with us in the comments over how long it took us to figure out what was going on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 60: What?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

: What

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ahaha holy poo poo Ancient 2.

Because yes, there needs to be something beyond Ancient. :v:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'll be honest, I was expecting that to be absolutely brutal ala Lugar before.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I forgot that Jagen was so quick to show up. But now we have to head through Dark Castle and its many many mobs and boss refights before we get to our favorite little lady. I wonder how they'll change her up. As I recall she wasted a lot of time in vanilla with Energy Ball, I can see that being exploited in the future.

It also makes me curious about the other unique bosses, but I won't force our friend here to play the game a third time. I might just have to do it on my own someday.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm honestly not sure how we would've been expected to handle that fight if not for TransShape.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm honestly surprised you never cast Speed Up, since that increases your evasion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 61: We Get New Music!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 62: This is the Next Boss Fight

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
I'm enjoying watching you guys figure out strategies for the bosses. I sent a link of your videos to my dad and he's enjoying them too. He also thinks that Praetarius seems to be kind of like Sheldon for Big Bang Theory or something like that; I forgot the exact word that was used.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Praetarius does have a point. The vanilla last dungeon had far, far, FAR less variety than what he stuck in here. So while there are Kaiser Mimics, there's also lots of other stuff. Kaiser Mimics may also be more threatening to different party compositions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 63: I'm Going to Enjoy Eviscerating You!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's only in hindsight i realize exactly how terrifying half of my sentences must sound to normal people

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Didn't watch the last three, was good to see some good-old fashioned dungeoneering. I believe there are three old boss fights in each of the penultimate dungeons. Glad they're not too challenging, seems like.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 64: I thought it was Gorva

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

No Gorva in this playthrough or your other playthrough, sir.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was a well timed Freya.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 65: Something Awful behind this door

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I remember Bigieu being mortally weak to water in the original release as well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

pahahahhaah the moment when Bigieu first hits us and we both freak out

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Coolguye posted:

pahahahhaah the moment when Bigieu first hits us and we both freak out

Admittedly I would also panic if a giant catlady crit me for over half my health. :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, apparently unleashing the power of the Sword of Mana breaks the text box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
"Biggy you" and "he turns into a cat" are objectively the two worst parts of this entire series. Shameful for a so-called hardtype LP.

• Locked thread