Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
I used to think that all liquids were just water with stuff added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

smug n stuff posted:

yes, I know, that is why I titled this thread "idiot ideas" not "smart ideas"
I wonder how many of these ideas are universal?
A few people have also mentioned their moment of "wait, what if your blue isn't my blue," does anyone else remember that moment distinctly? It was a big thing for idiot me.

Yeah I totally had that. It's weird when you think about it because colour is really just a biological process's representation of photon energies so it's not like anyone would be seeing things in the wrong colour - colour just isn't really a thing.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
To stick my foot in the spoke of my bike while traveling downhill

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hardawn posted:

To stick my foot in the spoke of my bike while traveling downhill

did it work?

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
I thought adding batteries to anything that burned made rocket fuel. I don't know why

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
America were the good guys.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

I thought I could reprogram my brain to interpret colors differently, so I could theoretically take a pink eraser, meditate for a bit, and turn the eraser blue.

I also had some pretty hosed up misconceptions about the anatomy of the vagina.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

sout posted:

did it work?

gently caress yeah, I flew like a bird for these few wonderful milliseconds before skittering on the pavement. Walking home afterwards was less than fun though

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

us vs also us posted:

why wouldn't op's idea work someone explain

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Why don't you hear supersonic bullets/jets/unicycles coming?

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Why don't you hear supersonic bullets/jets/unicycles coming?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dave_Indeed posted:

If I'm on an elevator that gets hosed up and starts falling down the shaft.... or an airplane that's going down... jump, just before impact and I'll be aight.

Yeah me too. Simple. Elegant.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I used to be *REALLY* impressed, like really insanely blown away by the fact that a sega CD could play insanely compressed, low quality video clips. Even though I could just turn on a tv and see a comparatively much much better image. I do not understand why the sega cd was ever impressive, but god it was. When I was 8.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
When I was very young my favorite color was red and I could not comprehend how anybody could like any color more than red. In my child mind it was simply and obviously the best color

stump collector
May 28, 2007
dying in my dreams all the time

getting ran over by police car

elevator falling on me

bear eating me

oh and i hosed up the words to songs and would just kind of mumble noises. as I got older & heard the same songs I remembered the mumbled noises and realized how retarded i am

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I know I invented flashing brake lights for emergency vehicles, I was a fool not to patent the idea

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My brother told me Gwar really killed people on stage and showered the audience in their blood. I remember being horrified and ashamed that my brother would partake in that sort of thing.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
My friend told me if you went to a place in Neopets at exactly midnight you could get a special Neopet thing, so I stayed up late to try it like three times before my mom told me that kid was a fuckin liar.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

My friend told me if you went to a place in Neopets at exactly midnight you could get a special Neopet thing, so I stayed up late to try it like three times before my mom told me that kid was a fuckin liar.

to be fair that sounds like something that would happen on neopets?

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
I thought cars were propelled along by the gas coming out of their exhaust pipes, like rocket engines.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

a bone to pick posted:

you could save sunlight by keeping it in a chamber made of mirrors

Trapping light would work if:

- The container is either a sphere or does not have any hard edges

- The inside of the container is a perfect vacuum

- The inside surfaces of the container are 100% reflective

It's not possible for the last two to exist in this universe due to the laws of thermodynamics. So the trapped light would always end up converting to heat.

I think.

Right?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That someday I'd figure out how to do a double jump.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Axeman Jim posted:

I thought cars were propelled along by the gas coming out of their exhaust pipes, like rocket engines.

Oh yeah, this but with steam powered trains.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
That I could build a seaworthy boat out of a random assortment of planks in my dads shed and travel the world in said boat.

Also that I could build a timemachine out of random scrapyyard junk. I had detailed plans drawn up, but no access to a junkyard.

I was a very idealistic kid.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum
Reality TV. You would put cameras in the house so people could see what you were doing.

gently caress me, I could have been rich. Goddamnit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That life is a meritocracy and the people who are most successful worked the hardest to get there

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
That I was straight

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Harald posted:

hot dogs stuffed with spaghetti

Right now Big Hot Dog is stealing this idea from the forums.

Arash
Mar 14, 2017

Professional opossum.
Grimey Drawer
I used to think the numbers 10-99 didn't exist. So when I counted I jumped from 9 to 100' then from 109 to 200. I have no idea how I was that dumb in kindergarten.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
As a kid I took a shower once and noticed the water would trickle down my back, arm and off my fingers if I bent a certain way and I literally thought I had the power to bend the elements to my will.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

us vs also us posted:

why wouldn't op's idea work someone explain

I think it has something to do with how force moves at the speed of sound through objects or something, haven't read a book or been in a physics class for years so sorry this might not be entirely correct, so if you had a huge stick in space from let's say earth to venus and you started pushing it on earth the force would move through the object at the speed of sound and take a very long time to actually move the part that's at venus.

There's vsauce video that mentions this but he has so many videos now I'm not sure which one it is.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Maldoror posted:

Trapping light would work if:

- The container is either a sphere or does not have any hard edges

- The inside of the container is a perfect vacuum

- The inside surfaces of the container are 100% reflective

It's not possible for the last two to exist in this universe due to the laws of thermodynamics. So the trapped light would always end up converting to heat.

I think.

Right?

It kinda depends on how you wanna try to define 100% reflective, if you're going for a tautology like "it would reflect all photons always" then yeah that's impossible to achieve but the reasons for that have less to do with the material and more to do with the properties of photons themselves which could just pass through any given material without colliding with any of the molecules due to their size. so kind of a semantic argument but you could hypothetically discuss a 100% reflective material (which isn't actually possible either for other reasons), that would still be unable to perfectly contain photons simply because theres a chance the photons won't interact with the material.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

a bone to pick posted:

I think it has something to do with how force moves at the speed of sound through objects or something, haven't read a book or been in a physics class for years so sorry this might not be entirely correct, so if you had a huge stick in space from let's say earth to venus and you started pushing it on earth the force would move through the object at the speed of sound and take a very long time to actually move the part that's at venus.

There's vsauce video that mentions this but he has so many videos now I'm not sure which one it is.

ArbitraryC posted:

This is actually a cool idea but the reality is pushing something on one end doesn't instantly push the other end, it's just fast enough that you wouldn't notice in any real world scale. No material is perfectly rigid so when you're shoving something there's actually a wave of compression that flows through the material on a molecular level.

You can also just google it, it's kind of a common stoner science thought sort of question.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

but, what if, and stay with me now

but what if

the stick was really rigid, so it didnt wobble at all?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I was a kid I saw an episode of MadTV where they went to Olive Garden and got the Chicken ala Pasta. Dry Spaghetti with nuggs and ketchup on top microwaved. And I thought to myself, "That might be okay with actual sauce" But I felt it was too stupid to patent.

Now every lovely chain restaurant is stealing my idea for Chicken Parmesan. :saddowns:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Harald posted:

hot dogs stuffed with spaghetti

hell yeah

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

500 good dogs posted:

I thought 0.999.... repeating was the same as 1. Yeah I was dumb

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My school mascot was the Bears and our school bags had a snarling cartoon bear on it. When I was in first grade they wanted to change the design of the bear and decided it would be cute to let the kids vote on it. So they passed out a sheet with five or six scary bear faces on it and told us to pick one.

I refused to vote because I thought they were actually going to bring a ferocious bear into the classroom.
My parents still laugh at me for that one.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My younger brother and I took the saying "cats always land on their feet" literally, and also construed it to mean that cats could fall from any distance and land on their feet. We then proceeded to toss his cat off the top of the roof of the house. The cat was fine, but was definitely pissed and took off running and avoided us for a while. Luckily this was a ridiculously tough cat - in later years I watched it successfully fight raccoons. Still, I regret this idiocy to this day.

The actual moron idea you had was that it would be in any way impressive for a cat to land on its feet if it had more distance to correctly orient itself.

Cats literally do always land on their feet, unless you drop them from an insufficient distance.

Whether they actually survive the fall or not is a different matter, but they'll absolutely hit the ground foot-first regardless of whether they break all their loving bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Ralph Hurley posted:

My school mascot was the Bears and our school bags had a snarling cartoon bear on it. When I was in first grade they wanted to change the design of the bear and decided it would be cute to let the kids vote on it. So they passed out a sheet with five or six scary bear faces on it and told us to pick one.

I refused to vote because I thought they were actually going to bring a ferocious bear into the classroom.
My parents still laugh at me for that one.

This is precious

• Locked thread