Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I thought I could design a desalination plant that would run in perpetuity for no power by sliding the left over salt down a really long chute with a bunch of turbines that would power the coils and evaporator turbines and poo poo and also the pump to bring in more sea water if the chute was long enough. before dumping the brine or whatever back into the sea. and that would give water to all the thirsty people in Africa or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
I thought that wolverines were female wolves

until I was 20

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
thought i could catch airplanes if i stood on a chair

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought if I fell through the the insulation in my grandma's attic it would transport me to a random location on Earth.

Idk why parents tell their kids poo poo like this.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i thought that sex was just putting the penis into the vagina and holding it still until something happened. i later found out that this was a thing that unmarried mormon kids would do because it wasn't technically "sex"

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

i thought that sex was just putting the penis into the vagina and holding it still until something happened. i later found out that this was a thing that unmarried mormon kids would do because it wasn't technically "sex"

:stare:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had a classmate from one of those families that has a billion kids and watched a birth once. He had all of us convinced babies come from the butt. Why wouldn't we believe him? We were like 8 and he watched it happen.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I thought growing up would be neat

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I thought broccolis were tiny trees.

That you could withdraw infinite money from ATMs. One of my earliest memories so I was really young.

That tomatoes caused nosebleeds. First time I remember eating one I was already skeptical, then added the association to the color red and getting a spontaneous nosebleed when actually having to eat one, yeah.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Falukorv posted:

First time I remember eating one I was already skeptical,

I feel like everyone has this experience with tomatoes

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

its like "this is like an apple but savory instead of sweet? sounds fake but ok..."

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

why can't a tomato be a hand fruit??

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

It... it can't?

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
If the wealthy have more money, it will trickle down to the poors and everyone will be better off.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Because it has to-ma-toes (too many toes)

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I thought babies came out of a woman's butt. Still not totally convinced they don't.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to think feet were just weird hands that you walk on, but now I realize that hands are just weird feet that you grasp with.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

My friend told me if you went to a place in Neopets at exactly midnight you could get a special Neopet thing, so I stayed up late to try it like three times before my mom told me that kid was a fuckin liar.

That probably actually did happen, neo pets loved doing poo poo like that and your mom just lost you like, a poo poo load of neopoints

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

That probably actually did happen, neo pets loved doing poo poo like that and your mom just lost you like, a poo poo load of neopoints

lmao i thought so. I'll bet that person's mom was a pro neopets player and didn't want them knowing her secrets

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

grape and cherry tomatoes! I think the bigger ones would be too messy as handfood.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I eat tomatoes like apples all the time. Believe in yourself

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Fresh tomatoes are fantastic to eat by themselves. Try growin' some tomato plants and eating em. It's real good.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Windshield wipers are dumb why not just have compressed air jets blow off the windshield? There are many reasons why this is both impractical and an overcomplicated solution to a simple problem. I think there's a reason Boeing uses wipers to this day.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Arrhythmia posted:

gently caress
is neopets still around? maybe I'll try it and prove mom wrong :colbert:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
So my brother and I used to watch The Rocketeer all the time and we come from a classic aviation family so at the beginning when the mechanic guy tells the pilot that his girlfriend is "gonna fly the coop" we were confused because there was a plane called a Monocouope was parked in the background and we couldn't find a reason why Jennifer Connelly flying "the 'coupe" would ever be a bad thing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Does light slow down when it goes thru glass vs when it goes thru air?

Maybe you could make a material that slows it down by like 5 hours and leave it in the sun. Then at night you could bring it in the house and the photons would slowly come back out.

You could prob do something completely insane with it too but i'd use it to keep natural sunlight for a while

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You'd need some very thick glass.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Rivers flowed inland from the ocean

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

gently caress
is neopets still around? maybe I'll try it and prove mom wrong :colbert:

yeah but it's poo poo now sorry

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
When my much-older-than-me big sister was fired from Orange Julius, my mother said it meant she didn't work anymore. For years I thought that meant my sister would never get another job.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

how did your sister get fired

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Rivers flowed inland from the ocean

This reminds me of one: I literally could not comprehend how the nile flowed towards the Mediterranean. The Mediterranean is above the nile!!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i thought that vaginas were in the same location as penises, so it confused me why you couldn't see an opening when a woman was standing up

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Khazar-khum posted:

When my much-older-than-me big sister was fired from Orange Julius, my mother said it meant she didn't work anymore. For years I thought that meant my sister would never get another job.

"Willkommen auf Orange Julius!"

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
As a child I thought moustaches were very long nostril hair.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
I had a Snoopy encyclopedia/facts book. It stated that the average human breathed enough to fill a Goodyear blimp, in their entire lifetime.

So I thought that if I didn't breathe as much I would live longer.

Ironically my organic chemistry professor recently said "Every breath is a step towards death" so maybe I wasn't COMPLETELY stupid?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Osric posted:

As a child I thought moustaches were very long nostril hair.

There's no rule saying they can't be

Docahedron posted:

I had a Snoopy encyclopedia/facts book. It stated that the average human breathed enough to fill a Goodyear blimp, in their entire lifetime.

So I thought that if I didn't breathe as much I would live longer.

Ironically my organic chemistry professor recently said "Every breath is a step towards death" so maybe I wasn't COMPLETELY stupid?

heh I bet this dope thinks oxidative stress is the cause of all aging

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

There was an ad on tv for a home air filtering device that showed cigarette smoke curling into it and clean air coming out.

All you have to do is make really big ones of those and put them on top of every smokestack and you get rid of all air pollution. I can't believe adults haven't thought of this yet.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ralph Hurley posted:

There was an ad on tv for a home air filtering device that showed cigarette smoke curling into it and clean air coming out.

All you have to do is make really big ones of those and put them on top of every smokestack and you get rid of all air pollution. I can't believe adults haven't thought of this yet.

that's actually p much exactly what they do in countries with regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i thought vampire teeth had holes in them and they sucked blood up through their teeth like lil sharp pointy straws

i have since learned that they just bite your flesh open with their pointy fangs and then slurp the blood with their mouth and swallow it like normal :(

• Locked thread