Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Houle posted:

- That women's hair got darker if they lost their virginity, so if I noticed a girl's hair change I assumed she had sex
- That if I did anything wrong, even if it was a misunderstanding God would punish me harshly and swiftly. So I believed God was omnipotent enough to punish me no matter where I was with impunity but would take a misunderstanding from my child brain and run with it.
- That only men wanted sex and women only wanted the pursuit of romance and begrudgingly gave sex as a motivational tool for reenactment of romance movies.
Southern Baptist spotted

My tiny dumb child brain interpreted the phrase as "put the pedal to the middle" and I was so confused because they were clearly putting the pedal all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
French Canadian Catholic actually. This was before sex ed, which wasn't really informative until the 9th grade. Before that it was just puberty and babies while avoiding anything about anatomy or sex. Basically everything is about guilt or awkwardly trying to avoid uneasy discussions.

A lot of my information came from when I discovered TV had nudity and I would watch Discovery's Sex Files on mute with close captions to see boobs. I'd learn some facts...but a lot of fringe theories that are hilariously stupid now that some time has been put between me and that show. The hair colour theory came from me misinterpreting them having a theory that women's hair and scent changes when they have a baby. Or something equally as odd as that.

Oh and another thing I believed as a kid, if I watch tv it means society hasn't collapsed yet because if society had the tv would be cut or an announcement would come on - it became a bit of a security blanket when an alien movie scared me shitless as a young kid.

Man...I probably should have saw a therapist as a child.

Houle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 26, 2017

Western Backstroke
Oct 19, 2008

Be Cool Like Carl
Teacher asked us to think up how we would run society if we could. As a kid without an allowance, I wanted a world where I could get toys without money. So, I proposed a world where everyone worked their job, whatever that may be, and took what they needed. You make shoes? People can take ur shoes. You need bread? As long as you worked as a shoemaker, just take some bread! And you want a toy…? No money required!

Teacher made me redo it, because she said there cannot be a world without money :ussr:

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Western Backstroke posted:

Teacher asked us to think up how we would run society if we could. As a kid without an allowance, I wanted a world where I could get toys without money. So, I proposed a world where everyone worked their job, whatever that may be, and took what they needed. You make shoes? People can take ur shoes. You need bread? As long as you worked as a shoemaker, just take some bread! And you want a toy…? No money required!

Teacher made me redo it, because she said there cannot be a world without money :ussr:

American education system at work, friends.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why would anyone make shoes if you can just take all the toys you want without working

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Houle posted:

- Inanimate objects have feelings because I watched the Velveteen Rabbit as a kid and it messed me up

Same but I think The Little Toaster is why I believed this. Whenever I stubbed my toe on something I would yell at and hit that thing for hurting me lol.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

If you got REALLY REALLY strong, you could grab your own feet, pick yourself up, and fly through the air.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Houle posted:

That girls had their vagina around where the penis was, so that if you had a really long penis you could basically skewer her and go into another woman and that that was what threesomes were.

i thought that boys just rubbed their dicks on the outside until sperm came out

posting instances of genital confusion in an "idiots ideas you had as a kid" thread feels like cheating though

quote:

- That women's hair got darker if they lost their virginity, so if I noticed a girl's hair change I assumed she had sex
- I wrote a letter to Missingno asking it to return the Pokemon I lost in a saving battery glitch thinking Missingno was sentient and messing with my game of Pokemon Red :(

these, however, are amazing

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I remember a friend of mine getting real excited / amused after reading some kind of sex ed pamphlet or something and telling me a bunch of totally incorrect poo poo. I'm pretty sure he was unironically talking about peeing in butts and thought it was fuckin hilarious.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
- Communism was a great system that definitely worked and created paradise of equality on earth.

I was reading a lot of kids' books with Soviet propaganda in them when I was a kid.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

If you got REALLY REALLY strong, you could grab your own feet, pick yourself up, and fly through the air.

:confused: How else do you think Superman can fly?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Ice Blue Mink posted:

:confused: How else do you think Superman can fly?

exactly. hell, it worked for the Lorax

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
My bedroom was next to a meter of some kind--gas, maybe--that did a Thump-Thump all the time, just like a beating heart. My big sis helpfully told me how an evil witch had been buried there, and it meant she was alive and going to come after me. I spent a lot of nights cowering in my parents' bed before they realized a radio would drown out the hateful heart, To my knowledge it's still beating away, frightening new generations of kids.

I also thought that the tree shadows which would occasionally light up my room whenever a car passed was evidence that the tree shadows chased each other around the house all night long, adhering to the walls.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wad deathly afraid of being abducted by aliens as a kid and I usually slept with my back facing the door. sometimes I would wake up at night and think there was an alien in my room trying to abduct me but as long as I didn't turn around and see him (which is what everyone does in horror movies) I'd be fine.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Ditto but with crocodiles under the bed.

Couldn't step off that bed until daytime.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I did a report on UFOs in 4th grade and had a phobia of aliens for a while too. I would get very little sleep some nights staring out my window at the sky, so in case I saw a UFO I could prepare to ... defend myself from the aliens :confused:

I also thought inanimate objects and foods had feelings but I imagined my food being sad if it didn't all get eaten, like its life had had no meaning!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Surprised no one said this yet. When I was really young I was afraid there was a monster waiting to kill me but it couldn't get me so long as my feet or arms were within the confines of the bed. I feel like this was my brain making sense of the whole keep my arms in the car while it was moving or I would lose it rule/reality. That and somehow blankets had this power too.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Houle posted:

Surprised no one said this yet. When I was really young I was afraid there was a monster waiting to kill me but it couldn't get me so long as my feet or arms were within the confines of the bed. I feel like this was my brain making sense of the whole keep my arms in the car while it was moving or I would lose it rule/reality. That and somehow blankets had this power too.

If you have soft toys in your bed the monsters will go for them first and you can use them as a decoy while you escape.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Ralph Hurley posted:

My school mascot was the Bears and our school bags had a snarling cartoon bear on it. When I was in first grade they wanted to change the design of the bear and decided it would be cute to let the kids vote on it. So they passed out a sheet with five or six scary bear faces on it and told us to pick one.

I refused to vote because I thought they were actually going to bring a ferocious bear into the classroom.
My parents still laugh at me for that one.

I was in elementary school during the end of the Vietnam War (I am old as gently caress) and I was terrified I'd be drafted by the NFL. I knew I could get a deferment from the military draft like my dad if I just stayed in school but I didn't know how not to get drafted by football and getting knocked on my rear end.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Valko posted:

When I was five I used to think firemen sprayed fire on houses instead of water. I guy in my class father was a fireman and he used to threaten us by saying his father would come and spray fire on our homes.

lol why would he threaten schoolchildren

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Toadvine posted:

for like, far too long I was hung up on the question of whether everybody perceived colors differently

so do they perceive it differently or not

is there a way to even tell

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

That Robot posted:

so do they perceive it differently or not

is there a way to even tell
Everyone perceives colors the same, except you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
- I have a vague memory from when I was two or three of sitting in the shower and rationalizing that if I pooped, the poop would strain down the drain. It did not.

- In first grade, I remember explaining to my friends that Noah's ark was proof unicorns were real. I think this is kinda common for little Christian-raised kids, but I thought it was genius and just SO obvious.

- Also believed toys had feelings. My mom told me to only pick up toys I was sure I wanted to buy because if I kept switching them, they'd have their feelings hurt. They thought they had a chance to be loved but I had implied weren't good enough. I'm not sure if this was a lesson in compassion or to make me quit bringing her toys.

- My sister would hide in the closet and stick out a furry earmuff. This was the paw of the O Great Easter Bunny and it would get me if I displeased it.

- An all-white cow meant the apocalypse. (???)

- A solar eclipse meant the zombie apocalypse, which was different from the regular apocalypse. (???)

- IT was in the sewers and would grab me if I stood on a grate or a manhole cover too long. And all clowns were IT, so I flipped out on Halloween and at a children's hospital.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Das Boo posted:

- An all-white cow meant the apocalypse. (???)

You got the color wrong, but an all-red cow born in Israel is a genuine end-times sign in some religions I think, maybe that's where you got this from?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_heifer

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

- I have a vague memory from when I was two or three of sitting in the shower and rationalizing that if I pooped, the poop would strain down the drain. It did not.

Amazingly, I have friends who will believe and try this out and they're in their late 20s, it never turns out well.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

smug n stuff posted:

You got the color wrong, but an all-red cow born in Israel is a genuine end-times sign in some religions I think, maybe that's where you got this from?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_heifer

That's gotta be it. No idea who I knew that was Jewish, but the idea cropped up before I was 7 and all religions followed the same blob of a god at that age.

a bone to pick posted:

Amazingly, I have friends who will believe and try this out and they're in their late 20s, it never turns out well.

What's worse is they admit to it. I'd bury that shame with the dinosaurs.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 27, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I thought I could use knock-out gas to rob drug stores and it would be the perfect crime.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I thought the word rear end meant penis

stfu im gonna kick ur penis

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I thought if I focused hard enough I could develop psychokinesis like a Jedi or one of the characters on beetleborgs. That kid just had to point his fingers at something to make it float and goddamit I wanted that power so badly

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Arrhythmia posted:

That probably actually did happen, neo pets loved doing poo poo like that and your mom just lost you like, a poo poo load of neopoints

My uncle worked at the Neopet factory, and he told me this was 100% true.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I forced my sister to take me to a park one time because I wanted to plant a stick because I thought it was going to grow into a tree.

I thought I invented the word "save."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Grump posted:

I forced my sister to take me to a park one time because I wanted to plant a stick because I thought it was going to grow into a tree.

I thought I invented the word "save."

One day my friend and I were running around the house, pointing at random spherical things, and yelling "Ball bearing!" When my dad stopped us and told us there really were ball bearings, we freaked out.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

That Robot posted:

lol why would he threaten schoolchildren

It was the firemans son who threatened us not the fireman himself. The same kid once told all of us he could turn himself invisible because he was ninja. I asked him if he could show me how but he said "Only if you are being trained as a professional."

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
One time I saw the lyrics to "the rose" and so I wrote them down and was convinced that I wrote the song

Also I recently tricked my niece into thinking I'm Taylor Swift

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

i very clearly imagined wolves underneath my bed.

i imagined ninjas climbing through my window.

how funny would it be if we all told our kids all kinds of horrible things

they would believe it lol

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I remember telling my mom one time that I didn't understand money because she gave the cashier one bill and got a whole bunch of bills + change back. It seemed to me that she was coming out of that deal better off.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
I just wanted a pet cheetah

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whacking off on an escarpment

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I also was taught that food would have its feelings hurt if you didnt finish it, because it would make the food feel rejected and worthless. I felt bad every time I ate half a banana and left the rest on the kitchen counter.

I have passed this teaching on to my younger nieces and nephews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That everyone was either Christian or Jewish. I wasn't really aware what religion even was, I just knew that these were the only two significant categories of people. Anyway I decided I was Jewish because I found it easier to pronounce, my 4yo tongue really struggled with that "s-tch" sound in "Christian" for some reason.

• Locked thread