Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I once sent a letter to Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien asking if we could improve Canada's weather by unleashing huge amounts of CFCs and basically destroying the ozone layer.

I got a very nice reply that was signed by Chretien and written by I guess some Parliamentary science guy saying that uh no, this is probably not a great idea. But it's awesome that kids are interested in science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Houle posted:

Surprised no one said this yet. When I was really young I was afraid there was a monster waiting to kill me but it couldn't get me so long as my feet or arms were within the confines of the bed. I feel like this was my brain making sense of the whole keep my arms in the car while it was moving or I would lose it rule/reality. That and somehow blankets had this power too.

Yeah this sort of thing is real common

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
A cashier forgot to give my mom her card back. My mom said she hoped she'd get fired. I thought this meant the girl would be taken to the parking lot and set on fire and it scared me :wth:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Grump posted:

I forced my sister to take me to a park one time because I wanted to plant a stick because I thought it was going to grow into a tree.

I thought I invented the word "save."

Some plants (most famously willows) can regenerate a completely new root and stem from a fallen branch.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Falukorv posted:

Some plants (most famously willows) can regenerate a completely new root and stem from a fallen branch.

yeah like weed

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

proof of concept posted:

Yeah this sort of thing is real common

Lol look at that goony kid

Falukorv posted:

I'm glad I didn't have this information as a child

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Peanut Butler posted:

I thought the word rear end meant penis

stfu im gonna kick ur penis

Same here! I have no recollection of why I thought that or when my understanding changed, unfortunately.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Peanut Butler posted:

I thought the word rear end meant penis

stfu im gonna kick ur penis

whoa me too

for me it was because "butt" was already slang for bottom so obviously "rear end" must be slang for something else

it wasn't until an old guy talked about wiping his rear end that I figured out the truth

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My wife's aunt used to do rape kits at a hospital, which meant that she was on-call for overtime whenever a call came in (usually in evenings or early mornings). She's a pretty open person, and never used euphemisms or couched her language around her kids.

Her son's first grade teacher asked her if everything was OK at home, because her son said that his mom was out late at night doing "sexual salts"
She had to start defining some terms for him

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i thought bitch and bastard were gendered equivalents, and when i learned that a bitch was a female dog, i just assumed a bastard was a male dog. it was actually quite a while before i found out the actual meaning of bastard, like middle school i bet. it just seemed logical that if you'd insult a woman by calling her a bitch then you'd also insult a man by calling him a bastard.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mustached5thGrader posted:

A cashier forgot to give my mom her card back. My mom said she hoped she'd get fired. I thought this meant the girl would be taken to the parking lot and set on fire and it scared me :wth:

your mom is a jerk

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

If I held an umbrella during strong winds or if I jumped off a building I could fly or at least drift gently down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Debunk This! posted:

If I held an umbrella during strong winds or if I jumped off a building I could fly or at least drift gently down.

I jumped off my roof with a very large plastic bag.
Turns out I was a very dumb but resilient kid.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Kid me thought that when a character had to die in a movie the person dying actually for reals died. Like the producers just went out and found some dude who was down with dying and hired him.

Kid me had a really rough half a year trying to figure out how a dude who died in one movie suddenly could appear in a different movie.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Once my hamster died. My friend and I had a funeral and chucked him in the toilet.

It turns out, he wasn't dead all the way. We pulled him out and I decided to do cpr on him. This involved wringing him out like a washcloth, blowing into his mouth with enough force to explode his lungs, then putting a hair dryer to him and essentially cooking him.

He did not survive and probably died in the worst way possible.

To this day, I do not understand why we used the hair dryer. I'll never know.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, for some reason when I was four I thought "cable" was "canine." So upon observing a big cable bridge we crossed on the regular, I proudly announced "Wow, look at all those canines!" And of course no one knew what the hell.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Oh, for some reason when I was four I thought "cable" was "canine." So upon observing a big cable bridge we crossed on the regular, I proudly announced "Wow, look at all those canines!" And of course no one knew what the hell.
Around the same age I thought radio masts were rockets and every time I saw one while I was in the car with my parents I would count down from ten and shout BLAST OFF!!! and make exploding noises. Soon it became a rule that every time I did that it would mean early bed with no dinner. Didn't stop me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

HAT FETISH posted:

Around the same age I thought radio masts were rockets and every time I saw one while I was in the car with my parents I would count down from ten and shout BLAST OFF!!! and make exploding noises. Soon it became a rule that every time I did that it would mean early bed with no dinner. Didn't stop me.

Aw. You count down them rockets, little Hat Fetish! :unsmith:

BigSlacks
Aug 21, 2003
I thought that drinking pop could keep a woman from getting pregnant. This came from me hearing my aunt tell my mom that she was able to get pregnant because she quit coke. I think I was twenty before I figured out that she wasn't drinking the coke.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bumper Stickup posted:

Kid me thought that when a character had to die in a movie the person dying actually for reals died. Like the producers just went out and found some dude who was down with dying and hired him.

Kid me had a really rough half a year trying to figure out how a dude who died in one movie suddenly could appear in a different movie.

I thought that any stabbing or shooting was fatal. I was watching some pirate movie and a guy was being interrogated and stabbed in the arm.
According to my dad, I had some choice words because the character didn't die and he had to explain how, you know, organs work.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I thought that any stabbing or shooting was fatal. I was watching some pirate movie and a guy was being interrogated and stabbed in the arm.
According to my dad, I had some choice words because the character didn't die and he had to explain how, you know, organs work.

That reminds me that my brother and I got the idea that if you made somebody stand up and walk that they wouldn't die. Like, they got shot, and if you get to them fast enough and help them to their feet then they will magically not die.

Pretty sure TV is to blame for that one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wanted to make a movie starring my dog as a kid, and had plans to connect his safety harness to a clothes line and then slide him down

Keep in mind I would never hurt my dog, I thought this would be a fun way for him to be a movie star. Fortunately I was talked out of it at the last second.

Parallax Scroll posted:

don't give up on your dreams op make the stick

300 years from now when The Stick becomes the first hardline interplanetary network connection, the OP will be herald as a visionary

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I thought if you left a garden hose running it'd eventually flood the world and I freaked out about it. Also if you got fat enough you'd blow up into a bunch of babies. Instead you get diabetes and heart attacks.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought Motown was modern music in the early 90's. My mom would play it every morning when we dropped my sisters off at school and I just thought that's what everybody listened to. When I was 6 or 7, she mentioned she didn't like much music from the early 90's. I went from confusion to realization to embarrassment silently, and in the span of 5 seconds.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I thought I could build a spaceship of cardboard. To breathe I'd simply have a pot plant that would provide oxygen.
And then I'd have fantasies of piloting it to school. I could have taken my spaceship anywhere but the extent of my fantasies was to drive to school.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

whoa me too

for me it was because "butt" was already slang for bottom so obviously "rear end" must be slang for something else

it wasn't until an old guy talked about wiping his rear end that I figured out the truth

Tomato Burger posted:

Same here! I have no recollection of why I thought that or when my understanding changed, unfortunately.

yeah exactly there was already "butt"

its probably some confusing wordage in a 198X/9X TV episode I'd seen a billion times
it also adds a little punch to calling someone "a horse's rear end"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Gatekeeper posted:

i thought bitch and bastard were gendered equivalents, and when i learned that a bitch was a female dog, i just assumed a bastard was a male dog. it was actually quite a while before i found out the actual meaning of bastard, like middle school i bet. it just seemed logical that if you'd insult a woman by calling her a bitch then you'd also insult a man by calling him a bastard.

I also believed this. No idea why -- I guess it just seemed like the words were a set?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i loved watching that old black and white short that tim burton did called frankenweenie (i think he did a feature length animated remake not long ago but this was like a live action student film he did or something) where this kids dog gets hit by a car and he frankensteins it back to life with lightning and the doggy was cute as heck, i loved this movie so much when i was five or six.

we had a cat that liked catching moles and mice and poo poo and killing them and leaving them near our back porch. i hated this because they were cute lil guys especially the moles, they had adorable tiny faces and i wished i could save them somehow.

so i took my desk lamp outside, took the lightbulb out and plugged it in and picked up the dead mole with some tongs and put it in the socket.

right as i was about to turn on the lamp my dad pulled into the driveway and got out and asked me what i was doing. he got very angry and took away the lamp and threw the mole out in the yard somewhere.

over the next few weeks he and my mom caught me several times trying to sneak outside with some different lamp from the house, bulb removed and ready to shock a rodent and yank it back from god's greedy clutches. at first they would just get angry but after a few times of catching me they started to actually seem really upset and worried so i gave up and let the matter go but i knew deep down that if they had just hosed off and minded their own business i would have frankensteined the whole lot of those dead cuties

Antivehicular posted:

I also believed this. No idea why -- I guess it just seemed like the words were a set?

i've wondered why i paired them like that for a long time and the best i can come up with is that i seem to remember my dad muttering "son of a bitch n' bastard" sometimes when he was angry

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Gatekeeper posted:

i knew deep down that if they had just hosed off and minded their own business i would have frankensteined the whole lot of those dead cuties

This would be my inclination, to let the kid try, fail to revive a dead mole, then move on to the next project.

Similar to how I thought I could lay down on a skateboard and street luge down the hill across the street. My dad stood in the garage beer in hand and watched me trudge up the hill, get speed wobbles and eat poo poo at the foot of our driveway, then limp back to the garage where he cleaned me off

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
I thought dicks were modular and screwed off.

they don't.

I also tried to push it into my body to see what it would be like

that didn't work either.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 29, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

I thought I could build a spaceship of cardboard. To breathe I'd simply have a pot plant that would provide oxygen.
And then I'd have fantasies of piloting it to school. I could have taken my spaceship anywhere but the extent of my fantasies was to drive to school.

i also had plans to build a space ship. i had an old star trek book with "blueprints" so i assumed all i would need to do is put it togeather

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah I collected cardboard under my bed because I was going to build an x wing. This went on for years

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i was a little smarter than that, instead of cardboard I would collect the internal circuitry from broken clock radios and black & white TVs. i needed these components to make the "warp drive"

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
when i was a kid i used to play "cheese factory" in the stream near my house which consisted of just taking a bunch of probably insanely toxic yellow styrofoam insulation and smashing it up and letting it float down the stream

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I was so convinced that I could build my own directed energy weapon that when I was 9 I tore my dad's Discman apart to acquire the LASER that would power my death-ray. Being that this was 1995, portable CD players were still kind of expensive and my dad was not very happy.

I even drew my own schematics. I remember incorporating a liquid cooling system and fan because, obviously, my super powerful blaster would run hot. Then I got distracted by riding my bike or something.

Edit: I also took apart the VCR and the blender. I'm surprised my parents didn't leave me on the side of the road somewhere.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 29, 2017

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

pot plants have always been involved when i try to build spaceships too

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
I was super sure that there was treasure buried on our half acre of property, if only dad would let me dig a huge hole in the middle of it!

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Jesus you people were some dumbshit kids. My parents would have knocked the living poo poo out of me if I'd ever done or said anything half as stupid as what you guys are posting here. I think the worst I ever did was ask if dogs came from a factory and earned myself a smack that must've been heard across the neighborhood. My ear was burning for a good half hour but I learned not to ask stupid questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

KomodoWagon posted:

Jesus you people were some dumbshit kids. My parents would have knocked the living poo poo out of me if I'd ever done or said anything half as stupid as what you guys are posting here. I think the worst I ever did was ask if dogs came from a factory and earned myself a smack that must've been heard across the neighborhood. My ear was burning for a good half hour but I learned not to ask stupid questions.

Turn on your parents.

• Locked thread