Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
When I was real young in in one of those early second language programs I was super confused at the concept of different languages. I was like "if people say dinero and just mean money, why not say money in the first place". Like the idea that people weren't thinking in english was just beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

VendaGoat posted:

Had to explain to my brother why this was impossible. He was in his early thirties.

To be fair it's sorta possible, you could hypothetically capture photons bouncin around in a container made out of mirrors, you'd just lose them over time by nature of how mirrors work. Sorta like how there's no such thing as a perfect thermos, only on a much shorter timescale.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
when I had to read the giver I had the dumb "what if the blue I see is different from the blue you see" stoner moment.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

smug n stuff posted:

kinda but I thought you could use it to communicate instantaneously
like you could push one end of the cable in a morse code pattern or something, and the other end would move at the exact same time, so you could communicate faster than the speed of light.
Space Elevators are different I think?

This is actually a cool idea but the reality is pushing something on one end doesn't instantly push the other end, it's just fast enough that you wouldn't notice in any real world scale. No material is perfectly rigid so when you're shoving something there's actually a wave of compression that flows through the material on a molecular level.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

500 good dogs posted:

"the speed of sound" is a bit misleading here because people assume it's the normal speed of sound in air that people talk about but it's the speed of sound for that material (which is why what you wrote is basically a tautology)

interestingly if there were a hypothetical material that was perfectly rigid it would imply that the speed of sound through that material was equal to the speed of light.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Maldoror posted:

Trapping light would work if:

- The container is either a sphere or does not have any hard edges

- The inside of the container is a perfect vacuum

- The inside surfaces of the container are 100% reflective

It's not possible for the last two to exist in this universe due to the laws of thermodynamics. So the trapped light would always end up converting to heat.

I think.

Right?

It kinda depends on how you wanna try to define 100% reflective, if you're going for a tautology like "it would reflect all photons always" then yeah that's impossible to achieve but the reasons for that have less to do with the material and more to do with the properties of photons themselves which could just pass through any given material without colliding with any of the molecules due to their size. so kind of a semantic argument but you could hypothetically discuss a 100% reflective material (which isn't actually possible either for other reasons), that would still be unable to perfectly contain photons simply because theres a chance the photons won't interact with the material.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

a bone to pick posted:

I think it has something to do with how force moves at the speed of sound through objects or something, haven't read a book or been in a physics class for years so sorry this might not be entirely correct, so if you had a huge stick in space from let's say earth to venus and you started pushing it on earth the force would move through the object at the speed of sound and take a very long time to actually move the part that's at venus.

There's vsauce video that mentions this but he has so many videos now I'm not sure which one it is.

ArbitraryC posted:

This is actually a cool idea but the reality is pushing something on one end doesn't instantly push the other end, it's just fast enough that you wouldn't notice in any real world scale. No material is perfectly rigid so when you're shoving something there's actually a wave of compression that flows through the material on a molecular level.

You can also just google it, it's kind of a common stoner science thought sort of question.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

why can't a tomato be a hand fruit??

grape and cherry tomatoes! I think the bigger ones would be too messy as handfood.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ralph Hurley posted:

There was an ad on tv for a home air filtering device that showed cigarette smoke curling into it and clean air coming out.

All you have to do is make really big ones of those and put them on top of every smokestack and you get rid of all air pollution. I can't believe adults haven't thought of this yet.

that's actually p much exactly what they do in countries with regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Toadvine posted:

I thought if you drove a car off a sheer cliff you could just step out of the car immediately before impact with the ease of getting out of a car parked in the driveway.

For some reason I thought the car carried all the momentum and the people inside could simply detach themselves from it by stepping out.

Oh that reminds me i was confused as a kid why if i tossed a ball up and down it didnt fly to the back of the car/bus immediately. If the ball isnt touching the car and the car is moving forwards it should go back. Basically same thought as you.

• Locked thread