Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
for like, far too long I was hung up on the question of whether everybody perceived colors differently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

This is actually a cool idea but the reality is pushing something on one end doesn't instantly push the other end, it's just fast enough that you wouldn't notice in any real world scale. No material is perfectly rigid so when you're shoving something there's actually a wave of compression that flows through the material on a molecular level.

I think I read in a thread forever ago that a stick of any material would 'bump' through space no faster than the speed of sound

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

500 good dogs posted:

"the speed of sound" is a bit misleading here because people assume it's the normal speed of sound in air that people talk about but it's the speed of sound for that material (which is why what you wrote is basically a tautology)

kiss my taut anus hole

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
for a brief moment when I got my own walkman I thought I could unplug the headphones and the jack would function as a speaker

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
When I was very young my favorite color was red and I could not comprehend how anybody could like any color more than red. In my child mind it was simply and obviously the best color

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Ralph Hurley posted:

My school mascot was the Bears and our school bags had a snarling cartoon bear on it. When I was in first grade they wanted to change the design of the bear and decided it would be cute to let the kids vote on it. So they passed out a sheet with five or six scary bear faces on it and told us to pick one.

I refused to vote because I thought they were actually going to bring a ferocious bear into the classroom.
My parents still laugh at me for that one.

This is precious

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
One time I thought I dreamt aliens watching me through my window then levitating me out the window. haha kids, what idiots

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I thought if you drove a car off a sheer cliff you could just step out of the car immediately before impact with the ease of getting out of a car parked in the driveway.

For some reason I thought the car carried all the momentum and the people inside could simply detach themselves from it by stepping out.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I don't remember this one but my mom loves this story: she was cleaning my room one day and found a crayon drawing I made of a lightbulb directly behind my bedside lamp's lampshade. When she grilled me about it after school I said it was to show me if the lamp was ever stolen.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Killswitch posted:

Same, my wife thought I was a retard when i told her this. I thought every kid thought this!?!?

Hell, I still do

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I thought if I focused hard enough I could develop psychokinesis like a Jedi or one of the characters on beetleborgs. That kid just had to point his fingers at something to make it float and goddamit I wanted that power so badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

i knew deep down that if they had just hosed off and minded their own business i would have frankensteined the whole lot of those dead cuties

This would be my inclination, to let the kid try, fail to revive a dead mole, then move on to the next project.

Similar to how I thought I could lay down on a skateboard and street luge down the hill across the street. My dad stood in the garage beer in hand and watched me trudge up the hill, get speed wobbles and eat poo poo at the foot of our driveway, then limp back to the garage where he cleaned me off

• Locked thread