Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
When I was like 11 I thought hey, when you move one end of a stick the other end moves at the same time. So, I thought, why not make a huuuuuuge stick that went from Earth to places wayyyy far away. You could move one end of the stick on earth, and the other end would move on mars or whatever, and you'd have faster than light communication.
I legitimately thought this idea would revolutionize communications and thought I was a genius.

Anyways, post ITT really stupid ideas you had when you were a kid that you thought were smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Harald posted:

hot dogs stuffed with spaghetti

wait like spaghetti in a hot dog bun, or like a hollowed-out frank with spaghetti shoved inside?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Parallax Scroll posted:

the stick would totally fuckin work dude :350:

thx for ur support, I'll shoot an email to NASA asap, I think they'll be real interested!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

kinda but I thought you could use it to communicate instantaneously
like you could push one end of the cable in a morse code pattern or something, and the other end would move at the exact same time, so you could communicate faster than the speed of light.
Space Elevators are different I think?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

ArbitraryC posted:

when I had to read the giver I had the dumb "what if the blue I see is different from the blue you see" stoner moment.

I remember having that moment, it seriously freaked me out! I was 11, that was a good age for idiot ideas for me.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Toadvine posted:

I think I read in a thread forever ago that a stick of any material would 'bump' through space no faster than the speed of sound

yeah, that would make sense, because that's how sound waves travel too, basically just air molecules bumping together.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Parallax Scroll posted:

thats pretty fast we should develop this tech asap

yeah, that's like, more than 300 mph! holy cow!
alright dude, I'm calling NASA for real

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Applesnots posted:

It does not work though. I had the same thought as a kid too.

yes, I know, that is why I titled this thread "idiot ideas" not "smart ideas"
I wonder how many of these ideas are universal?
A few people have also mentioned their moment of "wait, what if your blue isn't my blue," does anyone else remember that moment distinctly? It was a big thing for idiot me.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
My friend told me if you went to a place in Neopets at exactly midnight you could get a special Neopet thing, so I stayed up late to try it like three times before my mom told me that kid was a fuckin liar.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Arrhythmia posted:

That probably actually did happen, neo pets loved doing poo poo like that and your mom just lost you like, a poo poo load of neopoints

gently caress
is neopets still around? maybe I'll try it and prove mom wrong :colbert:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Houle posted:

- That "Tween" and "Tweenager" meant in their 20s and not "in between child and teenager". Lead to A LOT of misunderstandings in my teen years

Did you read LOTR as a kid? Because that's how Tolkein defines "tween." (IIRC he coined the term, but when people actually ended up using it it was used as "preteen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Das Boo posted:

- An all-white cow meant the apocalypse. (???)

You got the color wrong, but an all-red cow born in Israel is a genuine end-times sign in some religions I think, maybe that's where you got this from?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_heifer

• Locked thread