Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

hah, the circle shrinking to the point where only one bridge can access it is pretty thrilling. better have a car and just haul rear end across.

it's very survival/zombie movie trope-y, and I mean that in the best way possible.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
ive seen some interesting ad hoc boat strategies

game is cool and good

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm the worst at this game. When someone opens fire at me when I'm running around the forests I get startled so much that my hands jitter across my keys and I do weird little dances before I die

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Camping the bridges as the circle forces people to drive across is pretty consistent. Headshotting people out of cars is easier than one would think.

The only downsides are the empty car careening away from you and having to do a risky run across to some point on the bridge if you want to get to their stuff.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ye bridges from the midgame on are a death sentence if you don't blitz through them driving as erratically as possible.

Driving in this game feels pretty good too, especially in boats.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hate games of this nature but after screwing around with it last night I can say it's fun for a filthy casual like myself. Gonna have a friend over tonight to try it out and see if it sticks (and maybe I can con him into getting a copy so we can do doubles) 😎

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Electric Charity posted:

ive seen some interesting ad hoc boat strategies

game is cool and good

So today I was playing and was plinking at a guy around 350m from me, maybe 400 I dunno. Early game, found an AKM and started chasing him down the river like 5 minutes in. I normally would've ran but we were late jumpers and went for distance on the drop and not speed, and in the circle so what the hell, right? Well, I get a boat on the coast of the river we were by, to catch him as I found a 4x and extended AKM mag and stopped to equip them. There was a cliff side, and I saw him drop into the water in a tiny cove. Gotcha, bitch! I run up there, put the nose of the boat into that cove, and jump on top. He's swimming and trapped and cant stand up due to the walls being so steep. Shotgun blast to the head, can't loot from the top I jump on in to get his stuff.

Then I realized the boat was on a sandbar and I had just trapped myself like an idiot.

So I'm like 67th place then or something. Welp, just gonna die here, 1 kill and at least a top 50 so what the hell, dumb mistake but it could have been worse. The circle continues to shrink and then I realized it's centering me the whole way down. It finally catches me, but I blast some painkillers and use my first aid and bandages.

Finished 13th :downs:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

VikingSkull posted:

So today I was playing and was plinking at a guy around 350m from me, maybe 400 I dunno. Early game, found an AKM and started chasing him down the river like 5 minutes in. I normally would've ran but we were late jumpers and went for distance on the drop and not speed, and in the circle so what the hell, right? Well, I get a boat on the coast of the river we were by, to catch him as I found a 4x and extended AKM mag and stopped to equip them. There was a cliff side, and I saw him drop into the water in a tiny cove. Gotcha, bitch! I run up there, put the nose of the boat into that cove, and jump on top. He's swimming and trapped and cant stand up due to the walls being so steep. Shotgun blast to the head, can't loot from the top I jump on in to get his stuff.

Then I realized the boat was on a sandbar and I had just trapped myself like an idiot.

So I'm like 67th place then or something. Welp, just gonna die here, 1 kill and at least a top 50 so what the hell, dumb mistake but it could have been worse. The circle continues to shrink and then I realized it's centering me the whole way down. It finally catches me, but I blast some painkillers and use my first aid and bandages.

Finished 13th :downs:

Optiquest and I were in a Duo taking heads, when we find a tunnel system. We keep fighting it out, and eventually choose to stay under the tunnel. Unfortunately due clearing the other tunnel exits. Soon enough, it's down to Opti vs another duo, but Opti is trapped under and the other guys on top. It comes down to the circle deciding if, and despite Opti hammering his boosts and bandages, the guys on top were able to get a little more centered on the final close, so we got 2nd.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
This game certainly does have some moments of unintentional hilarity.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

In the land of the binocular-less, the ACOG'd man is king. Total game changer finding one of those.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

buglord posted:

I hate games of this nature but after screwing around with it last night I can say it's fun for a filthy casual like myself. Gonna have a friend over tonight to try it out and see if it sticks (and maybe I can con him into getting a copy so we can do doubles) 😎

That's how I felt, then my cousin gifted me a copy and we've been playing duos. I'm really bad at games but the stakes are so low all things considered that it's fun just to get as far as you can. I rarely survive contact with the enemy but the feel of the game is fantastic.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
dayz and arma jankiness preped me well for this game, its really easy to play slow and get into top 10 if you just sit and wait ... and wait.. and wait
won 2 so far without getting a single kill but i'm sure my strat is going to be short lived once everyone figures out the best way to peek windows, shotgun breach doors, quickly clear houses
i hope they incorporate some kind of toggle lean mechanic though

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Clavavisage posted:

dayz and arma jankiness preped me well for this game, its really easy to play slow and get into top 10 if you just sit and wait ... and wait.. and wait
won 2 so far without getting a single kill but i'm sure my strat is going to be short lived once everyone figures out the best way to peek windows, shotgun breach doors, quickly clear houses
i hope they incorporate some kind of toggle lean mechanic though

Even if everyone knows how to peek windows there's still buildings that have rooms with only one way in or out. I really, really think this is a game where there's no wrong strat or loadout, which is really cool to me for some reason. The only thing that absolutely, positively won't get you to the last 25 or so is a melee only build, everything else is on the table so far.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

Even if everyone knows how to peek windows there's still buildings that have rooms with only one way in or out. I really, really think this is a game where there's no wrong strat or loadout, which is really cool to me for some reason. The only thing that absolutely, positively won't get you to the last 25 or so is a melee only build, everything else is on the table so far.

Melee just seems so buggy. I landed on a building with 3 people not in my squad and was lucky enough to pick up an Uzi real fast, and had 3 people punching me the entire time I reloaded the gun and mowed them all down. I think I took like 1/16th of my bar in the entire altercation from 3 people punching as fast as they possibly could.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Hopefully they address it in some way, but even if they don't it's so irrelevant that idc if they ever do fix it.

I mean, it'd be fun as hell to have an early game fistfight but really this is a fairly realistic sim of modern combat and hand to hand really isn't a thing, lol.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only time you'll ever melee someone is right at the very start of the game, and that's when the servers are at their most laggy and the hit detection for melee is wonky at the best of times. I never even bother, even if I land right next to someone. It's just a race to see who finds the first gun. :clint:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Nazzadan posted:

Melee just seems so buggy. I landed on a building with 3 people not in my squad and was lucky enough to pick up an Uzi real fast, and had 3 people punching me the entire time I reloaded the gun and mowed them all down. I think I took like 1/16th of my bar in the entire altercation from 3 people punching as fast as they possibly could.

The best way to kill people with melee is superman punch, if you land a punch/melee swing while jumping it does like 10x damage. You can one shot people with the frying pan if you swing while jumping.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

NickBlasta posted:

The best way to kill people with melee is superman punch, if you land a punch/melee swing while jumping it does like 10x damage. You can one shot people with the frying pan if you swing while jumping.

Oh, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Otherwise yeah I'm just going to completely avoid melee and find the nearest gun. I do like the emphasis this game places on guns, refreshing from other BR games I have played that had a either even melee/ranged split or had way more early game emphasis on melee.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's not because you're jumping, it's because you headshot them. Take a look at the people near the start of the match. If you win slightly above their head you can headshot them standing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo I finally won one. Man I haven't had adrenaline pumping like that in a game for a very long time.

E: I just tried to gift a copy of this to my brother, but stupidly didn't think about region restrictions, and now he can't send it back because the game is already in my library. If you want a copy, just post your email address here or PM it to me, and I'll have him send it to you. You have to be in one of these countries:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 27, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
When I won my first (and so far only) Solo game I did the fist pump and let out a lil yell of celebration, and I haven't done that since the first time I got an iRacing win years ago :3:

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Is this worth buying for someone who hasn't played this kind of game before? Closest thing I've done would be loving around in Minecraft and ARK. The concept seems really cool but it would be a totally new kind of game for me.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

a glitch posted:

Is this worth buying for someone who hasn't played this kind of game before? Closest thing I've done would be loving around in Minecraft and ARK. The concept seems really cool but it would be a totally new kind of game for me.

Yeah, or at the very least play it for an hour and a half and refund it if the style of game just doesn't interest you.

It's a bit janky and you will probably get all of 3 kills in that hour and a half, but if you like it you'll know almost immediately.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

a glitch posted:

Yes. Be patient and you'll have a blast.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

a glitch posted:

It's really unlike those games, because you don't build or craft. I wouldn't say its a survival game, really. It's a combat game with a looting mechanic, almost like Quake if you didn't start with a shotgun. There's no eating or drinking, besides medical stuff, just looting for guns, accessories, clothes and armor.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

a glitch posted:

I had never played this genre before and the most realistic shooters I've played prior to this has been Counterstrike or America's Army 2.0 and I'm hooked on this game. Like Nazzadan said, you can always refund it, but I bet you'll love it. They did $11 million in sales this past weekend and it's rivaling LoL and CS:GO for viewers on Twitch, not because of hype but because it's a solid game.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
I've hated the previous games in this genre except for the very early Day Z mod for ArmA II, but for some reason this game sticks and is a blast.

If you're not typically the biggest fan of this genre but are interested -- definitely give it a shot. Worst case scenario you can return it through Steam.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

a glitch posted:

You are me, get it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

insomne posted:

I've hated the previous games in this genre except for the very early Day Z mod for ArmA II, but for some reason this game sticks and is a blast.

If you're not typically the biggest fan of this genre but are interested -- definitely give it a shot. Worst case scenario you can return it through Steam.
Same here. DayZ and similar games had this idea that you'd work together and form uneasy groups and alliances, but the meta turned into kill-on-sight (and in that case why not just play a tactical FPS). Not to mention the cheeky snipers undoing hours of playtime by capping you in the dome. With the shallow survival focus and (comparatively) short rounds, its pretty easy to pick up and play.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Mandatory squads add a new way to play, too.

You don't have to worry about them potentially shooting you in the back. I mean they CAN shoot you in the back, but they probably won't.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Hopefully they'll do a traditional style shooter grouping of 50 vs 50, I think that'd be chaos.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

Hopefully they'll do a traditional style shooter grouping of 50 vs 50, I think that'd be chaos.

That could be really fun

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

VikingSkull posted:

My buddies and I were thinking that ten 10-man teams would be super cool too. I really like the idea.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
dealing with early game I've gotten a lot of headshots punching people when they bend down to pick up a gun or item, so keep that in mind when running around ridiculously trying to box someone to death

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
50 vs 50 protect the king would be cool.

Game will have mod support so it'll be cool to see what people come up with.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I have played ~200 hours of H1Z1, and this game is a breath of fresh air. I love the shooting mechanics in this game, the fact that bullet speed and drop is actually somewhat realistic. I love the various attachments and loot which means you can almost always find something better. I love that cars aren't the be all and end all, and are more often a liability. And I especially love the variety in the environment - underground bunkers, radio towers, bridges, shipyards, ruins, a sunken city, and even a mining quarry.

However at the same time I feel like the game is way more random, especially due to the circles near end game. The scopes and shooting mechanics also mean that people are much more effectively able to kill you from far away, and so it becomes a matter of who spots who first. That's fine and all, but sometimes the circles basically force you to run across an open field where you get screwed. Most fights seem to be about position, and a majority of the fights I've been involved in have been ambushes or "unfair" fights, while in H1Z1 there are more 1v1 aim battles, which I appreciate some times because usually the better aimer will win.

Regardless, I know I'm still going to play this game a ton, and even more so if it gets optimized so my FPS doesn't drop while driving or in big cities. I didn't usually play duos or fives in H1Z1 but I feel like they would be much more fun in this game, so I'd be down to play with any of ya'll. Is the discord the place to go to find goons to play with?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

Confirmed, melee is bad and laggy

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/131657391

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How lethal is hand to hand in these games? Is it like a CS:GO knife strike or like ARK where your hands get all bloody and damaged from punching animals and people?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I preordered this as I figured it would be a good investment to spend the extra $10 and sell the skins. I don't know much about the marketplace but the items are going for over $70. Should I hold out on selling these or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just spent almost an entire game in a flat sprint to beat the blue because I couldn't find a drat car. Came in 15th.

• Locked thread