Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
No 1st person squads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

fknlo posted:

Is there a reason to ever be in 1st person on a regular server? Pretty much all the videos I see are in 3rd so I assume not.

3rd person gives you free information at no risk, so using 1st person is a huge liability except for very specific circumstances where your camera can gently caress up your gun convergence and give people a longer window of time to shoot you than you can shoot them, specifically if you're crossing left on a doorway while the camera is over your right shoulder.

1st person enforced means that you have to expose yourself to gain information, so there's an actual risk/reward to the decisions you make in peeking. It makes camping a little more powerful, but makes flanking campers much easier if you act on your information properly.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Can we just agree before this gets out of control that first person vs third person servers are just different ways to play a game on the internet and talking about our enjoyment of one vs the other does not need to include questioning each others parentage / mental capacity?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

jubjub64 posted:

Can we just agree before this gets out of control that first person vs third person servers are just different ways to play a game on the internet and talking about our enjoyment of one vs the other does not need to include questioning each others parentage / mental capacity?

3rd person babby spotted

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Commoners posted:

3rd person gives you free information at no risk, so using 1st person is a huge liability except for very specific circumstances where your camera can gently caress up your gun convergence and give people a longer window of time to shoot you than you can shoot them, specifically if you're crossing left on a doorway while the camera is over your right shoulder.

1st person enforced means that you have to expose yourself to gain information, so there's an actual risk/reward to the decisions you make in peeking. It makes camping a little more powerful, but makes flanking campers much easier if you act on your information properly.

This was a well thought out explanation and I appreciate it.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

3rd person babby spotted

I see myself as more of a braindead bastard but thanks!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How are they just going to skip second person?!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can't wait for all the people who blame third person on them sucking to go to the first person servers and suck more, maybe once they do custom servers you guys can practice on those for hours by yourself to get used to first person

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can't wait for all the people who blame third person on them sucking to go to the first person servers and suck more, maybe once they do custom servers you guys can practice on those for hours by yourself to get used to first person

Me in 3 weeks!

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to get good and hidden in a bush then look around using 3rd person to spot people before I headshot. No risk or skill needed just need to out think those twitch fps mongoloids.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jubjub64 posted:

Agreed however I can guarantee the competitive scene will be first person only. The choices it forces you to make raises the skill ceiling by adding more wrinkles to any decision you make.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how will i ever find a scope again if i cant hide behind a rock in third person for 30 minutes and land in the middle of the swamp anymore

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

fletcher posted:

There was an excellent video on PUBG parachute mechanics I saw on reddit a few weeks ago, can't seem to find it now though

Justin Credible posted:

That would be neat, getting beaten to the punch and shot by fools who refuse to have some punching fun over and over is harsh.

I link it in here every few pages. Maybe add it to the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpFk3p_2Wk

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

fknlo posted:

Is there a reason to ever be in 1st person on a regular server? Pretty much all the videos I see are in 3rd so I assume not.

yea if you're entering a small room, 1st person lets you sweep the corners much better since your character blocks your view in 3rd person

good/tryhard players will use 3rd person to scope out a room, then pop into 1st person when entering. even then though you're only in 1st person for like 3 seconds

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You know how.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

it has issues in squads and duos, but iirc they've said they are going to be doing killcams at some point

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Inspector_666 posted:

You know how.

:golfclap: I couldn't figure out how to make this joke, but you did.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Inspector_666 posted:

You know how.

Haha perfect

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
gently caress yall im gonna post this cuz its my first solo chicken dinner (ive only played like 20 solo matches... stars aligned and none of my friends were online tonight)

suuuuper boring early game with nobody else landing in pochinki for whatever reason, but an insanely action packed end game where 6 of the 7 kills were during last 10 alive, including running over a dude when re-positioning (hence only 121 hit points)

:toot:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Now im just imagining some horrible indie game where you and another person control the other player's character while seeing them through your eyes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Dyz posted:

Now im just imagining some horrible indie game where you and another person control the other player's character while seeing them through your eyes.

Hello and welcome to this let's play of Darren's Memories of Agatha's Mothers. Today we're at the section where I'm hugging my coop mate as my mate as my mate doesn't want to hug me as me, as we reflect on loss and love.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I think 3pp would be better if we had this dude floating around players:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been watching streams of this on my phone before bed and the loving 7/11 commercials with the dumbass rocket league dudes are absolute nails on a chalkboard.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zo posted:

gently caress yall im gonna post this cuz its my first solo chicken dinner (ive only played like 20 solo matches... stars aligned and none of my friends were online tonight)

suuuuper boring early game with nobody else landing in pochinki for whatever reason, but an insanely action packed end game where 6 of the 7 kills were during last 10 alive, including running over a dude when re-positioning (hence only 121 hit points)

:toot:

Posting cause almost exactly the same thing happened to me.

Landed in military base looking for action, but weirdly didn't find any. Did a little looting then saw that the circle had closed way north up by georgepol - I couldn't find a car so I hoofed it to the west coast of the island and got lucky finding a boat in the distance. But by the point the circle had already started shrinking and georgepol is a loooonngg way from the military island. But I went all the way up there anyway, I spent so long in the first blue circle that I nearly died.

But I managed to make it to north georgepol and did a little looting then had to had back to the river to stay in the circle. At this point there were only 13 people left and I hadn't seen a single person yet. But I snuck around and got a couple kills at the river then the circle closed directly on the top of the mountain south of georgepol, so I had no choice but to drive a buggy up to the top of the mountain and pray that I wouldn't get blasted before I could get cover. By some miracle I managed to kill everyone on the mountain and then ended the game finishing off the last two guys at the base of it.

Not a ton of kills, but it was extremely satisfying killing 7 of the last 12 people in the game.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I've been watching streams of this on my phone before bed and the loving 7/11 commercials with the dumbass rocket league dudes are absolute nails on a chalkboard.

Seriously James????

(I don't even know if this commercial is in that rotation because I only ever watch on my PC and AdBlock ftmfw, I just saw it when I was watching the RLCS and it was in the stream itself)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I think the best one for me was watching on my ps4 last night I had the Destiny 2 commercial 6 times in a row when the streamer played ads. Just back to back 15 second commercials for 1.5 minutes. REALLY wanted me to know about that Destiny 2 beta.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cinara posted:

I think the best one for me was watching on my ps4 last night I had the Destiny 2 commercial 6 times in a row when the streamer played ads. Just back to back 15 second commercials for 1.5 minutes. REALLY wanted me to know about that Destiny 2 beta.

All these nerds can orgasm about their Destiny 2 beta, meanwhile, I'll be having fun with Splatoon 2 in peace.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Got my first solo chicken dinner :kiddo:

turns out the key is to distract yourself with frequent small alt-tab breaks to prevent yourself from choking. it also helps if the last guy just apparently gives up and tries to crawl towards you in the final stretch

Shockules
May 2, 2017

PantsBandit posted:

If you have Amazon prime it's worth it to link to a twitch account just so you can avoid commercials. Makes twitch 100 times better at least.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Shockules posted:

If you have Amazon prime it's worth it to link to a twitch account just so you can avoid commercials. Makes twitch 100 times better at least.

I would not watch anything on twitch if I had to watch commercials

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I just run uBlock, unfortunately uBlock doesn't run in Discord though.

Shockules
May 2, 2017
It's mostly for mobile, I don't know of a way to block ads using my phone other than logging in with my account.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I use this android app called Vortex and it seems to bypass the ads. I'm not logged in or anything and never see ads on this app

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Veritek83 posted:

I would not watch anything on twitch if I had to watch commercials

:yossame: but for by far most of twitch content

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I do 99% of my watching via Livestreamer which uses VLC to watch Twitch stuff and makes ads not exist.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Was playing in a squad last night with friends.

Going across the bridge to the military base in a Dacia and some randos have blocked the bridge with a dune buggy and two motor bikes. I go for one of the motor bikes to knock it out of the way.

The motor bike causes the car to flip. WTF.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

You Am I posted:

Going across the bridge to the military base in a Dacia and some randos have blocked the bridge with a dune buggy and two motor bikes. I go for one of the motor bikes to knock it out of the way.

Weird I've never seen any videos of physics glitches in this game

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

fletcher posted:

Weird I've never seen any videos of physics glitches in this game

Same you should probably report it because I bet the devs don't know about it

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

This happened on my very first game. Instant love.

https://gfycat.com/FloweryHeftyGalapagossealion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
huh. that is v weird youami. have you checked your RAM?

• Locked thread