Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This game is basically an Arma clone in all but name mechanics wise. About the three major differences are you can jump, your ammo is now pooled instead of mag specific and your legs don't crumple like tissue paper if you fall more than 2 inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXT4umF2SI

Also the hitboxes are really, really good when they work. Cause he got loving domed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Safetyland posted:

Might not be totally relevant, but man...

DayZ took literally 18 months to reach the point that the mod was at mainly because Bohemia only hired Rocket and not any of the other developers who worked on the mod. So none of them would allow their mod contributions to be ported or licensed for SA.

Which, incidentally, is why Bohemia then changed the mod EULA for Arma 3 so that people can't monetize their mods nearly as easily.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 15, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

Hiring only Rocket was the worst idea as well since he took a fun game and turned it into a boring autist "survival" simulator (or it would be if you didn't die because reasons).

This makes up for it tbh

DayZ (where you can jump from server to server keeping all your stuff) literally would not function without the server setup that a goon wrote in the very early days of the mod.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

Lmao. That's amazing Jones, who was it?

I don't know if they want to be known publicly (they probably post in this thread).

Fun fact: players used to have access to the main server for the first several days/week (including the ability to read data off of it, meaning tents and vehicle coordinates were able to be found wherever they were as they were written to the server) until they took a look at Rocket's setup, went "What the gently caress are you doing?" and wrote it so that only server IPs could access it.

If you open up the original DayZ server PBO (it might be the hive.dll come to think of it) there's a username and password that's used to connect to the master server.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 15, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The mad dash to a pistol or shotgun as soon as you land if somebody lands in the same area as you is great. Half the time they don't realize you were nearby and croak right off the bat.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

or for $0.75 you can just buy them unless you want the drat trenchcoat that increases your hitbox

Trenchcoats increase your hitbox? :psyduck:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's probably not as trivial as you think. When I talked to PU he said he wanted the long range shooting to be more like Arma but said it's pretty difficult to get it right.

Could go the battlefield route and have vastly different gravities for projectiles (literally bullet trajectories can have gravity double that of Earth to simulate the drop they want)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

If you have $0.81 the tan and green jacket is really good

Doesn't appear to exist on the marketplace.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Video game hacking is crazy interesting from a programming side is what I'm learning here

One of the ways ARMA/DayZ hackers finally lost teleport hacks was because the game was continually transmitting to the master server (it had to update pretty much constantly so you couldn't alt-f4 in combat) the anticheat code would piggyback onto that. So for teleports it would just check your current position against your previous position and if you were moving too fast to be plausible in the game, it would kick you out.

Of course, when this was introduced, they forgot the game had helicopters at one point. When they put helicopters back in the game, the anticheat would kick people out of the server because the speed at which the helicopter travelled triggered the antiteleport mechanic.

When they would spawn into the server again, it would keep their last known altitude data, but they wouldn't have a parachute. So they'd spawn in midair and fall to their deaths.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

This is amazing.

One of the reasons why the DayZ servers eventually fractured into other hives (Lingor, paid custom servers with loadouts) is because of how untenable it was. It was a constant battle by server admins and BattlEye developers (DayZ was pretty much the testing ground for BattlEye being decent) versus Rocket being a complete moron.

I mean, granted, you could if you really wanted to look through the server logs and see player loadouts and positions as they were reported. But the problem was, right around the last couple major hack waves, Rocket disabled server logging. Basically all of it. The only thing server admins would see was player connections and disconnections, meaning if there actually were hackers you couldn't figure out who they were.

So BattlEye developers took the original server PBOs and made custom ones with all the logging turned back on and added their own little tweaks to it to give to the server admins still beta testing anticheats. If anybody played on the goon server at the time, there were a bunch of changes just to make poo poo quicker to test. Vehicles didn't need repairs (making so that you didn't have to look through 9 towns to find a tire), just gas; broken stuff like barbed wire and tank traps were never even loaded in the game from the master server.

Eventually it came to the point where more and more servers were running custom code and finally everybody said "gently caress it" and the mod disintegrated into custom servers with donor spawn loadouts, different maps, and a whole host of other things.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 19, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

Besides Rocket being Rocket, why did he disable server logging? A spiteful act against ppl messing with his vision?

Server admins were (admittedly you had to know what the hell you were looking at) using it to 'ghost' people so that they could be stream sniped constantly.

edit: Dug up an old log file; here's basically what would get reported every second or two as it sent new info to the Hive.

code:
9:05:46 "LOGIN ATTEMPT: "807" Jones"
 9:05:46 "READ/WRITE: ['PASS',false,'676',[17,[590.939,10485.4,0.00231934]],[["ItemEtool","ItemFlashlight","ItemMap","ItemToolbox","ItemWatch","ItemCompass","BAF_L85A2_RIS_CWS","NVGoggles","Binocular_Vector","ItemGPS","ItemHatchet","ItemKnife","ItemMatchbox","M9SD"],["ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemPainkiller","ItemMorphine","ItemBandage","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD","30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD","30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD","ItemBloodbag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag"]],["DZ_Backpack_EP1",[["M4A1_AIM_SD_camo"],[1]],[["30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD","ItemBloodbag","FoodSteakCooked","ItemMorphine","ItemPainkiller","ItemWaterbottle"],[2,5,1,1,1,1,2]]],[13591,13618,13618],"Sniper1_DZ",0.92]"
 9:05:46 "LOGIN RESULT: ["PASS",false,"676",[17,[590.939,10485.4,0.00231934]],[["ItemEtool","ItemFlashlight","ItemMap","ItemToolbox","ItemWatch","ItemCompass","BAF_L85A2_RIS_CWS","NVGoggles","Binocular_Vector","ItemGPS","ItemHatchet","ItemKnife","ItemMatchbox","M9SD"],["ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemPainkiller","ItemMorphine","ItemBandage","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD","30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD","30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD","ItemBloodbag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag"]],["DZ_Backpack_EP1",[["M4A1_AIM_SD_camo"],[1]],[["30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD","ItemBloodbag","FoodSteakCooked","ItemMorphine","ItemPainkiller","ItemWaterbottle"],[2,5,1,1,1,1,2]]],[13591,13618,13618],"Sniper1_DZ",0.92]"
 9:05:46 "LOGIN LOADED: B 1-1-A:4 (Jones) REMOTE Type: Survivor1_DZ"
 9:05:46 "HIVE: WRITE: "CHILD:202:105:0:""
 9:05:46 "WRITE: ['PASS']"
 9:05:46 "PDEATH: Player Died 12218822"
 9:05:47 "HIVE: WRITE: "CHILD:305:212885:[340,[4653.47,10541.1,-0.0187073]]:0.485292:""
 9:05:47 "SETUP: attempted with ["676",B 1-2-A:1 (Jones) REMOTE,"807"]"
code:
 9:07:55 "HIVE: WRITE: "CHILD:201:676:[354,[474.897,10402.8,0.00149536]]:[]:[]:[]:false:false:0:0:131:1:["BAF_L85A2_RIS_CWS","amovpercmrunsraswrfldf",42]:0:0::0:" / 6769614"
So basically what you have here is the following:
The player's current loadout.
Position (you just just moved the digits over two so I was at 5, 104 in the in-game GPS system)
Player ID (in the server hive system) and GUID.

As you moved it would write your update your current info to the hive; when you died it would also write your info to the hive (you could actually just come back with all your poo poo if you knew somebody with access since every single player state forever per guid was stored server side)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

PUBG has promise really, I haven't encountered and intrusive cheaters so far, I'm happy.

Yeah, moving towards an entirely matchmaking based system negates a lot of the issues Arma had.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

afkmacro posted:

There is a consensus among them that it's not worth their time/effort to release public cheats because battleye is apparently pretty good at staying on top of poo poo.

There's no incentive to release public cheats for Battleye games when you can make custom cheats with 3 figure per month price tags for the top ARMA mods for streamers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

So, the Vector capacity is 13 rounds, 26 with an X-mag. Eeeeenteresting.

The gently caress?

edit: apparently its true to life but I haven't ever seen Vector's using their stock mag in any other game. It's not like SMG extended mags in PUBG are especially uncommon either.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 19, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The new patch has a metric shitheap of performance improvements. It's a world of difference FPS wise.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/jLFDRKE.gifv

You know, booby traps would be pretty cool in this game instead of just going to usual route of blowing every single tire away.

(some Russian found his neighbor ziptied an F-1 grenade to his wheel)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gay Horney posted:

People are saying AR's are much more rare now. Any confirmation?

They're rarer in non-prime loot areas, the pissant little towns and shacks lying around the map on the test server would only give SMGs or shotguns until we moved around.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

This is honestly an incredibly awful change. The last thing this game needs is the starting phase to be more of a skill-free randomness clusterfuck where you hope a bunch of people don't go to the same place as you.

It's also a very strange change to make because everything else seems pretty well thought out in general and then there's this massively anti-fun brainlessness.

It's not to the point where you won't find them, it's just you won't find 3 or 4 of them in the small villages (read: 4 to 6 buildings) anymore like you might have on the previous patch. You might find one M16A4 and one AKM.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The frying pan blocks bullets, but it doesn't block crossbow bolts (it might be a bug):
https://streamable.com/47wy1

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 20, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

A 10/22 would be good and would be weak vs armor.

Give me an American-180 so we can just kill enemies with a swarm of bees at 1200 RPM.

With a 177 round pan you're basically not going to run out of .22LR for a long while.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been banned twice now by my group from driving but I'm still the best driver among us.

We discovered that melon sized rocks can and will flip the motorcycle. All three of us died after an amazing start with no loot competition.

Yeah, the motorcycle really doesn't like jumps or bumps at all:
https://streamable.com/z4xp4

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I love it when the game silently disconnects you with no notice except you can't open doors and the timer is no longer ticking down.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Foliage is making sniping a lot harder from a prone position if you're not on rocks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

That happens to you? I've never had a connection issue.

The servers were going up and down for a while; when you start up there's an apology about it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

fyallm posted:

I have no idea how to shoot people 4x - 8x ... I aim at them and it misses, aim forward above misses...

Change your zero, the default is 100 and often times you'll be engaging farther than that if you have a 4/8x.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Thing I miss in this from Arma is just scouting options like binoculars (or the rangefinder). Having the ability to scout without needing a scope would make the RNG not as awful.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Also people wouldn't be squadding up in Solo if the rewards for Duo/Squad weren't complete dogshit. Got to the top 3 for squad before we died and we got 100 points out of it.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

rap music posted:

you know something's up when you land in a high loot area with no competition and find literally no guns

Going through the firing range the other day we found a total of: 2 pistols, one crossbow, one UMP, and like 10 grenades.

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/855974622990184449

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zipzilchzero posted:

Holy hell. Is anyone else getting the bug where the first attempt at reloading does nothing? I happens most frequently with early game lag.

It usually happens to weapons where each shell is loaded individually, eg, shotguns, the revolver, etc.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Worst shot I've encountered so far goes to this guy:
https://streamable.com/m7oer

I should have been dead.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 24, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Me and a friend dropped onto rozhok and found like 5+ AKMs, couple of m16s, a scar and a couple of SKS. Loot bug fixed?

AKMs (and M16s) are sort of screwed by losing out on attachments. 416s/SCAR get the most.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've had it where no matter what I did RMB would not put me in ADS/sights, I think I had to switch guns a couple times to fix it. It's more noticeable when you tried to ADS too close to a wall that it'll break.

Also I'd love if it the game would make ending circles places of actual interest like cities or something rather than a) the bottom island where teams who never left are sitting in boats and on the bridges waiting for you to cross. or b) an open field in the middle of nowhere. Even objectives on top of mountains are more fun.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

Sometimes the community in this game is just :3:

I forget that I have the in-game VOIP muted because in the plane people will spam the loudest audio they possibly can so I never get these moments.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Got my first chicken dinner through judicious use of the UMP. I think it outclasses any of the ARs at close range (sub 25 meters) now. (also I'd like if you could jump out windows for a change)

https://streamable.com/pcm6a

edit:

Wow, sucks for this guy

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 25, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

From what I recall, PU has ruled out night maps, and is keen on a snow map. Imagine the meta from looking for snow camo.

I'd just like it if the descriptions for clothing actually matched what they are. A bunch of the jacket options are blaringly white.

Case in point:
https://streamable.com/18gxs

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 25, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What this game really needs is a 'ping' option for duo/squad like R6: Siege so you can show your friends what you're looking at/targeting.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

You've got compass bearings for a reason, mister. :colbert:

Yeah but that's off your coordinates and half the time we have people in a squad die because they were stupidly 3 blocks over.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

Although shouting at your teammates "NO, NOT THE BLUE HOUSE THE LITTLE YELLOW ONE WITH THE PRETTY WINDO-welp I'm dead" is pretty drat entertaining

Similarly to Arma there really needs to be a running coordinate GPS system so you can clearly say which grid you're in. The GPS unit was essential to good DayZ coordination. Granted being able to set team markers negates a lot of the need for this but still.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

IronDoge posted:

They can barely implement grenades correctly, I can't imagine what rockets would be like.

I could see LAWs on the offchance you can blow up buildings with them; cause that would be amazin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://streamable.com/rbsft

Cars are good fun (that fucker managed to dodge out of the way at the last quarter second)

• Locked thread