Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If I buy this game and haven't played an FPS in 5 years am I going to hate myself because I'll get owned by 75 ex-counterstrike professionals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

odiv posted:

No, there are bad people like me playing too.

Well I bought it and I'm regretting it already. My experience went something like this:

Killed 2 people with shotgun. No kills at all next 4 games. This sniper rifle is impossible. Can't find a car. Die outside circle. Try a town in the middle. Everyone else somehow lands 10 minutes before I do. Die.

Meh, not recommended so far.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I was watching a streamer this morning who was using a third party app to replay his deaths. Since there isnt a kill cam does anyone else do this? How?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A common theme I seem to be facing is when I finally get good loot the circle is a million miles away and I can't find a vehicle. I'm looting pretty quickly now, but is there some trick to finding a car?

daslog fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 28, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A. I find the practice of banning stream snipers stupid. They can ban whomever they want, but it really doesn't strike me as something that needs addressing by BlueHole, since it's so easily preventable by the streamers themselves. It's like banning people that just run around using melee only in TF2. They're dumb but it hardly warrants such an extreme reaction.

B. You guys posting highlights, clip the dang video so that whatever it is you want us to see is no more than 5 seconds into the start of the video. I don't need 18 seconds of you driving through a field before you blow your bike up.

Streamers are one of the key ways this game gets advertised. I can't see BlueHole doing anything to piss them off. Purely a business decision.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Macaluso posted:

Streamers have a billion ways to mitigate stream sniping, and even if they didn't that's just a risk you take by showing yourself playing a multiplayer game on stream. Bluehole's decision to ban stream snipers is dumb as hell. The responsibility should be on the streamer here

It's not even an issue worth thinking about. Streamers are goof for the game, Stream snipers idiots, and the less idiots the better. Everyone wins.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The issue is that people can get falsely banned. No test has a 0% false positive rate. I'd rather 100000 streamers get sniped than 1 player unfairly not able to play for a week because I don't give a poo poo about streamers.

It reminds me of all these Pro athletes who test positive for PEDS and then claim they didn't' do it. They all did it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tweak posted:

I think the issue largely is like, why is Bluehole spending time (at whatever length it may be) trying to fix a problem they didn't create and bare really no responsibility for happening?

Again, they probably view Streamers as vital to the marketing of the game. SALES SALES SALES!

EDIT: Why do so many Chinese play on the American server?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's really not hard to find hackers if you are right a simple Database query. For example, this guy

https://pubg.me/player/GrimTheRage/squad-fpp?season=2017-pre4&region=eu

40% headshots?
35 K/D ratio?
41 kills in a match?

These are all easy to find with a scatter plot diagram. All they have to do is have an intern to some simple coding, then do some in game monitoring.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

WhatEvil posted:

That's true but when they can't even fix simple poo poo like defaulting to the Asia servers every time, and having to refresh the UI CONSTANTLY to load into a loving game it's pretty natural to think that they will never get things working right.

This post is dead on. It's not the skill of the programmers that is the problem, it is how the project is run and organized. They have a massive hit on their hands but management doesn't appear to be able to their success into a better product.

The stuff that should have been prioritized like basuc ui functionality is ignored. A well run company could build an amazing game.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Macaluso posted:

I mean yeah? Well made nice looking art assets are a good thing

The game selling gangbusters shows that I guess that people mostly don't care that the game is so ugly but I feel people should care a little bit

In 5 years or so, someone will come out with a nice looking version. In the meantime, I'll continue to get my rear end kicked with what is available at this moment.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This game needs region lock badly. There is Zero reason for the Chinese to be on the American server.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

underage at the vape shop posted:

why does it matter to you

A few reasons:

1) It sucks when you join a squad that doesn't speak English
2) Chinese hackers are everywhere.
3) When players have the same ping, it's a more even match.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

underage at the vape shop posted:

dont play random squads (join the discord), more than just the chinese hack, ping doesnt matter much in this game

I could be wrong, but Ping seems to have a large impact on the game. Getting shot by person around a corner that you can't see I assumed to be caused by differences in ping.

Edit: Do other players hack? Sure. But look at the leaderboard. It's dominated by Asian players with ridiculous stats. The entire first page is hackers from China.

https://pubg.me/players/rating

daslog fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 4, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Early access game lol. I bet the whole thing crashes

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I think it's fairly common for software improvements in a leased product to be incorporated for everyone else that also leases. If that wasn't the case then the provider would quickly find themselves managing 20 different versions of the same tool.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ashrik posted:

gently caress holding the bag for corporations who don't give me money to do so for them. I hope Epic takes every bit not bolted down and makes a better BR game and I hope the next company somehow does it twice as hard. e: hack the planet

Yep. BR needs to whine less and code more.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'd pay EA/Dice shitloads of money to use the frostbite engine and their assets and remake the game in that with fully destructible buildings, actual vehicle physics, and allow people to host their own dedicated servers.

EA would build in so much DLC garbage it would be a terrible game.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Why do I keep getting Working boots as my reward?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

WirelessPillow posted:

I don't understand this. If you want to feel immortal and be force feed information about enemies there are plenty of PVE games out there, this seems really boring with just walking and clicking to shoot after tapping "lock on".
It just seems so pointless.

People cheat at stuff all the time, not just video games. Golf comes to mind.

I think it's built into people's DNA as an energy conversation mechanism. Why exert more energy to follow the rules when there is an easier way?

At any rate, the best way to deal with cheaters is to doxx them.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I was thinking all the hacking a bit from a project management perspective. It's far too late to integrate code that would prevent hacks.

At best the most we can hope for is a robust process where hackers are banned and prevented from buying new accounts. I have no idea if the company that runs this game is even capable of organising itself correctly, but they don't give the appearance that they know what they are doing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I stumbled into an experiment today. I'm pretty bad, and my computer is old. I get anywhere from 20 to 50 FPS. Its an i5-2500k@3.30GHZ, 8 gigs of ram, an SSD, and a Radeon R7 370 Series. What I find is that I get beaten by campers around corners and I get beaten when I try to camp.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much is it me, and how much is it the Computer. I haven't played an FPS since BF:Bad Company and I'm in my late 40's.

The experiment is that I dropped the most crowded place I could, almost always School or Military Base. It took me 34 games tonight before I got a kill. I have about 60 hours played, and I'm usually not that terrible. Once all the parts come in and I build the PC, I'll play 34 games of the same strategy and see how many kills I get.

Also, I got one top 3 because I had to drop outside the circle and I couldn't find a fight.

Edit: I was trying on all of these. Here is a link to the log

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SKIYW9_F90S-wvd4MACpTANroz-KXyJbHCO-IdpN2ek/edit?usp=sharing

daslog fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 12, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Zo posted:

stop playing with a controller

dc3k posted:

put some headphones on

cosmicjim posted:

Stop playing with your mouth controller and get some 3d printed arms.

I've got the first 2 already covered, but I think the 3d printed arms might work. I tend to play very aggressive and that doesn't seem to work in PUBG and my parachutes were really bad last night.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TJChap2840 posted:

Playing aggressively works wonders in FPP. Stop playing lovely TPP

This is all FPP

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

New Zealand can eat me posted:

imho if you weren't the first to land you have nobody to blame but yourself, gently caress all this other advice.

You're drops r bad

I agree the drops are bad. I tracked those in the spreadsheet

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Settings are all on very low. I was not raging when the streak started but people can tilt in different ways.

In terms of choppyness it's hard to tell when you don't have a reference point. I do notice things move slowly when i try to loot. For example if im trying to loot 5 items I have to "reloot" at least two of them because they will snap back to their original spot.

There have been moments where players will just appear out of nowhere and get a shot off before i even see them.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How quickly do you loot? I used to pick stuff up so quickly I would basically cancel out of it a bunch of times. You have to finish the animation before it actually picks it up. You might need to slow down looting to loot faster.

Get some way to view your FPS in real tome, see whether it’s dropping down to <30 frequently.

This is looting after i press the inventory button, not using the f key.

Any suggestions for free video capture softwaremm

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So do i need to dig up my old fraps exe?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Thanks for the advice everyone. Running reshade helps, and I wasn't a complete basket case today.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SKIYW9_F90S-wvd4MACpTANroz-KXyJbHCO-IdpN2ek/edit?usp=sharing

I kept a better log this time. I'm getting much better landings at school, but there are so many people dropping there that I had a game where every loot spot I ran to has someone looting it.

Edit: The worst game was where I missed the drop, went apartments, stalked a guy I never saw, looted the care package, and died while holding the Grouser to a guy that was camping in the blue area. Hit nothing the entire round.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They are patching put the flames that shoot from the airplane that show up after someone gets Molotoved on spawn island.

I always wondered what was wrong with the planes

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Flaggy posted:

They reset the leaderboards and once again, hackers have all the top spots. A+

I wonder if the people running the show even care. Yes, they sold a bunch of copies but stuff like this paints an image of your game that isn't easy to reverse.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

It was announced that there would be a patch at this time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ChesterJT posted:

Read the version numbers

In Korea, the numbers increment backwards.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I think these patch notes explain a lot

quote:

Gameplay
Blue zone DOT (Damage over Time) increases when characters are farther away from the play zone
This principle does not apply to the first blue zone
Bug Fix
Resolved a bug where bullets would sometimes ignore armor

I downloaded a 2 Gig patch for these changes, which means it's at least 100,000 lines of code to adjust the Blue DOT damage.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

It's not 2 gigs extra or 2 gigs of new code. Most of it is just you downloading the same files again where a small thing might have changed.

Yes, that's the point.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hockles posted:

I believe they added in new wall graffiti to advertise the Oakland PUBG Invitational that is coming up, which is probably why the patch is so big.

Was there an issue at the last Email sports thing they did?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This is some good news

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/923522157438820352

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Maybe someday we will be able to open windows in buildings.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Turtlicious posted:

Not to be "That guy," but uh... I don't think it's super kosher to call all the chinese players cheaters?

e: gently caress I'm bad at reading my bad, I might just wait on it then.

Why not? Battle eye did.

https://twitter.com/TheBattlEye/status/918734703183659008

https://twitter.com/TheBattlEye/status/918740552316792832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
There may yet be hope for all the Chinese hackers.

CNN: China could ban red-hot video game over blood and violence. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwoIPSvjY

• Locked thread