Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I have played ~200 hours of H1Z1, and this game is a breath of fresh air. I love the shooting mechanics in this game, the fact that bullet speed and drop is actually somewhat realistic. I love the various attachments and loot which means you can almost always find something better. I love that cars aren't the be all and end all, and are more often a liability. And I especially love the variety in the environment - underground bunkers, radio towers, bridges, shipyards, ruins, a sunken city, and even a mining quarry.

However at the same time I feel like the game is way more random, especially due to the circles near end game. The scopes and shooting mechanics also mean that people are much more effectively able to kill you from far away, and so it becomes a matter of who spots who first. That's fine and all, but sometimes the circles basically force you to run across an open field where you get screwed. Most fights seem to be about position, and a majority of the fights I've been involved in have been ambushes or "unfair" fights, while in H1Z1 there are more 1v1 aim battles, which I appreciate some times because usually the better aimer will win.

Regardless, I know I'm still going to play this game a ton, and even more so if it gets optimized so my FPS doesn't drop while driving or in big cities. I didn't usually play duos or fives in H1Z1 but I feel like they would be much more fun in this game, so I'd be down to play with any of ya'll. Is the discord the place to go to find goons to play with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

fyallm posted:

I was hiding behind a concrete wall and saw a guy on the other side.. I was in perfect position to blast his head off when he comes around the corner.... Oh he can jump above the wall and shoot me... gently caress.

This is literally how I lost one of my solo games where I came 2nd place.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I feel like I remember hearing that H1Z1 implemented first person only servers but no one played them and it was eventually scrapped. Regardless of whether first or third person is "best", I feel like the same would happen with PUBG - much fewer people would play first person modes.

My two cents is that third person isn't inherently bad, but it leads to behavior that feels unnatural. I almost never want to approach a building or complex of buildings in the mid-to-late game because there could be a person in there that sees my every move without exposing himself at all. If it were first person only I would be much more willing to try and sneak up on the building, knowing that if someone wants to see me I would get a chance to at least see him in return (and he couldn't pre-aim and destroy me immediately). Another example from that dyslexci video is that suppressing fire essentially does not exist in a third person game, as you can see exactly where the enemy is regardless. There's definitely a third person "meta" that is sometimes counter intuitive which you have to adapt to.

There's another BR-style game called "Islands of Nyne" that is supposed to come out in 2017 and will be first person only, which will be cool to try.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

wa27 posted:

Actually worst case scenario is 3/4 die early.

Yeah, being the one goon that dies in the first 5 minutes while the other 3 play on for another 20 kind of sucks. That said, looting rural areas kind of sucks too. I feel squads is just a crapshoot pretty often.

• Locked thread