Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

never played h1Z1 but I picked this up today on a whim and it's super fun. where do you guys usually jump out? I try to wait and then hug the edge but obviously that has its drawbacks and it's usually hard to find a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's funny - I'm always nervous that I'm gonna get ambushed from some shrubs or sniped, but almost every time I die it's totally my own fault because forget and I let my guard down around a new building.

I can already tell this game is going to be an evening eater.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bardeh posted:

E: And yeah, if you're holed up in a building in the middle of a smaller circle, people are naturally going to gravitate towards it. If you close the door after you, they may be fooled into letting their guard down thinking that it's unlooted. Sit by the entrance and gun them down as they run in. :getin:

I've managed to do this only once. Heart was pounding as I waited for him to walk through the front door. My shot's lined up ready to go, he waltzes in, and... I had forgotten to put my gun on auto. The best laid plans...

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bardeh posted:

For anyone looking for a performance boost, try these launch options in Steam if you haven't already -

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -malloc=system -sm4

With everything set to Very Low, I can get a decent framerate even in the big towns on my laptop with an i5 6300Q and 960M using these settings. When I get back to my desktop, it should mean that I can get a constant 60 at 1080p, too.

It looks like poo poo, of course, but until they get some optimisation done I'm happy to play like this.

hm, this didn't seem to make a difference for me. certainly isn't unplayable but it's not silky smooth like it oughta be. I have it on high rather than ultra but I'm not sure it even makes a difference, seems about the same either way.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

hah, the circle shrinking to the point where only one bridge can access it is pretty thrilling. better have a car and just haul rear end across.

it's very survival/zombie movie trope-y, and I mean that in the best way possible.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 27, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

In the land of the binocular-less, the ACOG'd man is king. Total game changer finding one of those.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

a glitch posted:

Is this worth buying for someone who hasn't played this kind of game before? Closest thing I've done would be loving around in Minecraft and ARK. The concept seems really cool but it would be a totally new kind of game for me.

You are me, get it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just spent almost an entire game in a flat sprint to beat the blue because I couldn't find a drat car. Came in 15th.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bruteman posted:

This looks like something I want to play and at the same time I'm content just watching it on Twitch.

I dont really ever watch Twitch/streaming but it really works for this game somehow. Though going on Twitch recently has reminded me that streaming culture is weird and I don't really like it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

beejay posted:

Yeah... I keep hearing how entertaining he is but holy poo poo. Every time he dies it's a "poo poo game" and not his fault. Maybe that's his schtick but it doesn't appeal to me at all.

That is the worst. The super competitive whiny guys are awful. I found some British guy playing it yesterday who seemed pretty good humored, "Runningdayz" or something?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

People are saying if you turn off shadows and foliage to the lowest setting it makes people easy to spot. I don't bother because I'd rather my game not look 2005-era for a slight tactical advantage.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

You basically can't hill peak anyone because of the grass if you don't turn foliage down. Good luck.

I imagine this will get fixed soon but what an odd thing for the guy who made his name through ArmA of all games to overlook.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fair enough.

also I don't actually care but goddamn they are stingy with the reward crates, I probably get like 60 points a game because I suck and when I finally get a crate it's one lousy red t-shirt. gee, thanks.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this game in one sequence:

An incredibly thrilling moment - hiding out in a room in a house, hearing a car pull up to a seemingly empty house and having your shotgun trained right at the door you know he's about to open. He's dead and he doesn't even know it yet.

Followed by getting shot while trying to take his car because the game refuses to register that I am pressing "F" next to it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone want to group up or need a fourth? I'm not great but I'm itching to play the team game after a lot of solo. Steam profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/nationalbohman

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

I like that there still isn't a meta. There isn't a killer loadout (besides armor but yeah that's obvious), there isn't a winning strat. You can either be a gunplay god, or a devious ratfucker and go exactly the same distance to success. You can hug the circle or camp the middle, you can hide in houses or stay outdoors the whole time.

A week in and it's pretty amazing that the tryhards haven't broken the gameplay yet.

:same:

I think my favorite part of the game is the initial moments of dropping in and looting poo poo all paranoid-like. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off just playing DayZ, but it doesn't seen nearly well received as this.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

gotcha. I think the discrete rounds and clear objective of PUBG probably add to the sense of urgency that makes the beginning more fun, not sure if that feeling would exactly translate to DayZ even if it wasn't in early access hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Paradigmata posted:

I explain fast without to much detail how I get there with a KDR under 2. Played today around 15 games with this strat and never died once before #10.

Nice, thanks for the write up.

• Locked thread