Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
This game seems to have the potential to be the one that sticks. ArmA already has an in-built base, and BR just started there so it'll always keep a certain loyalty cache. H1Z1 is a pile of garbage posing as a video game. If they can shore up this game and make it flawless (or as close as video games get), there's no reason this won't stick around even beyond the new yearly genre contender that is somehow mandated by divine law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Those are probably going for that because no one has bought one and normalized the price yet. People will undercut each other for another $60 before anyone buys one, probably.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ehhh I'm fine with a little abstraction in those cases because it limits the potential to be spawn hosed, and part of why this game is good in the first place is it's got the gunplay you want from ArmA without any of the clunk.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It feels like the basically jammed out a height map and buildings to scatter around it and then generated tree noise, rather than trying to make a genuinely lived in place. Which you know, fair dos, they're probably not a giant studio or hilariously spergy like Bohemia, but it's one of the biggest things people are constantly pointing out in the games channels so hopefully they listen and change it up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Random emplacements would be terrible because then you could crest a random hill and get mowed down by an HMG from the next hill over with no way to know about it. If they were permanent and could be planned and played around, sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I figured we were all trapped in some kind of lovely Valhalla, since you start on the island with a crashed plane and then are teleported into a fresh plane to do it all over again. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

wait you can survive red zone bombs by being indoors in a large building?

Yeah just be away from windows and open exterior doorways, ~5 feet will do, it's a way better option than trying to book it if you're not right on the edge.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scarecow posted:

Is anyone else really over the rng element of the end game? Having a bubble spawn on the edge of the current one and you being loving miles away from it really sucks

I'm fine with it I just wish the last closes happened a little slower and they weren't in some poo poo field with zero cover 99 times out of 100.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don't match into squad solo, are you crazy?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The most incredulous part of that is that you took like, two damage. We once had entire care full of people take 30% HP loss going through a chain link fence. :argh:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Checks out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I should clarify I mean don't matchmake into squad by yourself, that is crazy. Queueing solo with no matchmaking for squad, is a cool and weird challenge mode.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game ending in open fields with like, two trees to either side is a lovely way to do it, and it's what happens 90% of the time. Every time I die to it it feels like complete garbage because there's no way to tell where the six or nine or whatever other people are going to come from, and you have no cover. The few times it ends on cities or the in-between groups of houses or something are way better because than you can have cool, skill based firefights instead of whoever enters the circle last basically reaps victory because everyone else died with no options.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Positioning is great when you actually have options, the way most games end you have no options if you're not sitting on a giant pile of FAKs or boosts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
True enough, guess we'll just have to see what the other maps look like.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If takedowns are a button press on someone you're in melee range behind, I look forward to the people who loot things without paying attention in the early game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They mostly did survival for the griefing aspects AFAIK, so I doubt it?

Orv
May 4, 2011
But did they stick the landing?

Orv
May 4, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That would be odd given it's a trivial equation to get the bullet trajectory right.

The equation is trivial, the programming is super extra not.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Name this update Murder in Morrowind.

Not that I really mind, I'm not exactly going to give a poo poo about the fidelity of the grass when I'm being shot at, but phew.

Orv
May 4, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You might if you'll be able to use tall grass for concealment.

It looks like the middle qualities give enough vision through the grasses that it isn't that bad, so it'll probably be fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rap music posted:

Are you guys running into a lot of hackers? I haven't seen any AFAIK.

A single death seemed questionable to me, and even that was probably just bad info prior to the firefight.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Generally no, LODs don't remove parts of a model or geometry, they just reduce the level of detail. I'm sure there are exceptions but I imagine they're relatively rare or specialized.

E: The real talking point is that the patch they're testing specifically works on this whole issue, and last page are some examples of the changes they've made.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah you're right, I just don't think that it typically is enough of a change on the overall surface volume to get people killed in games like this, but maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

Not to mention that it's UE, which has the most wonderful legacy of pop in you could ask for.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

So, the Vector capacity is 13 rounds, 26 with an X-mag. Eeeeenteresting.

Yep, that's a real gun someone built. Also true to life, it basically magics your mag empty the moment you pull the trigger, so now we finally have a use for the ten trillion SMG mods and 45 ACP lying around.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like this direction.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Driving isn't hard, but in a few places there are just weird dips or divots in the terrain that will murder you dead, and there's no real system or logic to them, they're just scattered around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rap music posted:

How boring would it be if you always had exactly what you needed when you needed it? Half the fun is planning on the fly and improvising.

Ehhh, obviously subjective but for me about 80% of the fun is having tactically interesting firefights, which you can't have if you've got a micro uzi and they've got an SKS, at least most of the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My point is that as the game currently stands, the answer is you try to run across an open field with maybe one tree between you and get shot in the face. Granted I guess if you get that far into the game and you haven't found a rifle something is pretty off, so it's probably fine. It's just me bitching about circles again, but I didn't realize it until now. For early game loot scarcity is totally fine, and in fact I killed two people with shotguns with the crossbow last night, which will never happen again, so I'm mostly fine with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We had a guy die last night because he was loading infinite fake shells into a shotgun, some new bug they introduced across a couple things?

Orv
May 4, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

They should make it so the front of the helmet, aka your face, wasn't protected. Then maybe the ballistic mask would be worth something. Except for level 3 helmets, of course.

Pretty sure that's the case.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Both would help a ton, SSD would help more.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the motorcycle inverts even the tiniest bit, you will get ejected. You still suffer speed penalties on leaving a vehicle from this. Combine with the weird random divots in a few places around the map and it goes swell.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gimmie a mountainous snow map with heavy forests.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's sort of out, but a lot of people still avoid it, and it's my favorite place to have shotgun fights in. Just the right ranges and spaces.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It can't be worse than the double barreled shotgun

Look at this wrong motherfucker right here.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Memory leak fixes supposedly.

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/857927966507978752

Orv
May 4, 2011
Since what I'm assuming is the last patch, I'm getting crazy FPS drops when moving around, anyone have a similar problem and a fix, or is it just this patch being terrible? Game ran completely fine before.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Is the gear you get from the crates going to be reset when the game is officially released?

Given that it's marketplace stuff, probably not. It's also entirely cosmetic so it'd be to no-ones benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Are any of the pistols even worth a spit against someone with a primary weapon? The recoil on all of them are extremely bad for the amount of damage they do.

Look, it doesn't matter because one day you may get to experience the joy I felt, taking five minutes to creep up behind a dude and shoot him in the back of the head from an inch away while he kneeled behind a tree. Pistols are great.

• Locked thread