Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I tried this game for the sole fact that it unseated LoL as the top viewed thing on Twitch, and it's pretty good. I generally describe it as the best of its brothers; there are others in the genre that have better base mechanics such as the Culling, but PUB is nice because it's just so *simple*. It does away with a lot of the unnecessary bullshit that is in other games like it and just lets you shoot dudes.

These kinds of mil-survival games tend to fall apart when you get within ten feet of another enemy, and god help you if you try to melee, but if they can straighten that out it can be really amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I recommend shotguns. They absolutely destroy people in close-range encounters.

I agree, but I mean it more in the sense that there isn't a reason to flesh out a melee system with multiple items if you are going to have hit detection as bad as it is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

AndrewP posted:

never played h1Z1 but I picked this up today on a whim and it's super fun. where do you guys usually jump out? I try to wait and then hug the edge but obviously that has its drawbacks and it's usually hard to find a car.

I typically will jump somewhere in the middle. Half the plane usually dumps as soon as you cross land, and it's more likely that you will be in the circle if you land in the center.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing I have noticed, and others may confirm this, is if you wait and jump into the big cities near the middle then you will have to scavenge up a full loadout. But if you jump immediately then every backwoods shack will have sixteen rifles in it. So I guess it's a game of what kind of fight you want to have for when you jump.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The one thing I would caution is that the game has a very generous third person camera, which means that corner peeking is very much a thing. That being said, it's pretty smooth otherwise.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, sniping can be good in a "drop shot a guy in a valley" way but this game is far more arcadey than most for several reasons which means that the slow and methodical method doesn't really work.

Or maybe I am just biased because I am shotty4lyfe.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm the worst at this game. When someone opens fire at me when I'm running around the forests I get startled so much that my hands jitter across my keys and I do weird little dances before I die

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Moment of last night: sprinting dead out to get away from the wall of death, turning my head to look around and see another person sprinting directly parallel to me, no more than three yards away, completely oblivious to my presence. Awareness is key.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Is there any site or wiki somewhere with the particular, detailed stats of the weapons? I'm kinda wondering how for example the M16, M416, and SCAR-L stack up against each other, aside from the obvious things like fire modes and attachments.

VVVVV I was hoping for something a bit more detailed than that, since the bars for those three weapons in particular are borderline identical. VVVVV

That is because the guns are more or less identical except for the attachments and firing modes, as you noted. The 5.56 rifles fire a bit faster and the AK hits a bit harder but other than that it doesn't make much difference.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I could never stream this game, I don't know how so many people do it. Running around makes me so hyper vigilant that I would be silent the whole time in case I missed the brushing of a blade of grass that meant someone was sneaking up on me.

Related, I have been having a weird bug where distant gunshots will play the "brass hitting the floor" sound at full volume. It wigs me the hell out because I think there is someone right next to me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Today I learned that shotguns can punch holes through doors, much to my delight and the guy hiding in the bathroom's horror.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Olewithmilk posted:

I think PU is supposed to be famous for inventing this type of game mode.

Did you follow him in or just guess?

I chased him into a building and he ran into the bathroom and hid, thinking I would have to go around the door to peek him.

Nah

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I had no idea that PlayerUnknown was an actual person, I had assumed that it was the typical monkeycheese name that gets slapped on things

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I know it's not a Pro Strat, but it's ridiculously fun to pop a guy in the middle of a field just once and see him panic and run in circles.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Got this game last night and goddamn it's loving exhilarating whenever you find someone. Gonna be playing this one for a while although I did experience some lag when I landed from the plane once.

For some reason the game is super laggy when you first hit the ground, that goes away pretty quickly. I'm not sure if that is some hidden addition loading or what, but it does make jumping immediately difficult sometimes.

It could also have something to do with like 50% of the server pop dying in the first five minutes as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

The map is actually made up of multiple zones of different servers melded together via coding black magic I don't understand, so if you jump where a ton of people are that area will be more laggy than elsewhere on the map.

I want to see EVE style time dialation for laggy areas. It's hectic in the first jump areas, but you get bullet time!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Am I seeing the same smoke grenades? Every time I have thrown one it was a tiny little poot of smoke and that's it. Hardly enough to cover anything. It's so ineffectual that I sometimes wonder if my graphics settings are screwing it up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Another big tip that I found is not to get greedy. If you have a decent load out without any big gaps then just roll with it rather than looting every building you come across, especially in late game. You do not need to carry 150 rifle rounds at all times, I'm pretty sure it's hard coded that you will be sniped if you fire more than a handful in an encounter.

Similarly, if you have a passable rifle then it's generally not worth looting for the very rare chance that you will find an awesome sniper.

Looting buildings is the second most dangerous part of this game, next to sprinting across an open field to beat the blue ring, so do it as sparingly as possible.

creatine posted:

Literally after posting this I went in game and found a car and drove to the opposite side of map from circle. Get out at the small village in the most NW of map and a guy insta kills me with SKS

Cars are really, really loud so it's probable that he just tracked you until you stopped moving.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I just hope that the vaulting is relatively quick and not like ARMA, where you have to get authorization signed in triplicate before you can pick up your right foot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I know it's probably too "arcadey", but I really wish there was a killcam in this game, at least when playing on solo. It's all fair and well to get evaporated from three hundred yards away, but I would like to actually KNOW who shot me and how.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

You can't have it in duo or squad at all unless you are the last teammate. I hope that makes sense. Solo, maybe, but then it would give a lot of people's secret spots away.

Yeah, that's why I specified Solo. Idk, without it I feel like some kills were less "Hey someone shot me" and more "bullets just appeared out of thin air, must be magic, there is no way that I could have avoided this".

E. I know that it is the nature of this style of game, it is just frustrating.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 2, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Idk, there's plenty of bushes in this game. He looked like a bush. I blame the m4 for not killing him with a headshot.

It's is pretty crazy how quickly the bushes and grass depopulates, though, even on high end settings. It's grassy and visually busy when you are within a hundred meters, but any further than that it is just barren.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It is weird that it's on allspeak as default, I would have just assumed if someone hadn't told me.

Why they don't have separate keys for alltalk and team chat is beyond me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I guess you could use the excuse that this is all an arena so the guns could be altered to match what is available, but that's just a handwave.

There isn't really a back story but I choose to take the Manhunt angle and figure it's for the amusement for an extremely wealthy pervert.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

As realistic as healing your bullet wounds because you drank six cans of Monster

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh, the crossbow was removed from the game, I thought I was just hallucinating that it was in this one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Allegedly Allergic posted:

The thing that's killing me in this game is urban combat. I can usually maneuver or evade around people in the open, but if I'm in a city, or even worse, in a building, they almost always get the drop on me unless I'm camping a closet or the stairwell of a 2 story. Any tips?

A good pair of headphones is the best thing you can have for this game. The directional sound is pretty good and you can generally keep track of people just through echolocation. Not always, but often.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"I don't have a single weapon within a mile of me but if we are talking pants and boots then MAN, I am fully loaded"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lady Galaga posted:

Seeing a lot of nude afk dudes standing in the middle of nowhere, maybe people botting points but i took the bait and got headshotted trying to kill one

I really don't understand why anyone would want to afk for points. All the points do is help play pretty pony princess dress up, and the highest tier stuff is all edgelord poo poo like the gas masks and black trenchcoats. I'm having more fun running around in my default gear as Mike the Murderous Accountant than cosplaying a Fallout character.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If they made proxchat better then they could probably get that kind of thing going, but as it stands it's too hard to talk to people around you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The number of people who will kill someone with a massive burst of gunfire and then immediately run for the box in the middle of an open area is staggering, especially after a couple ring restrictions. Whatever is in that box isn't worth dying for.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You could just get the game and refund it through steam if it doesn't work, IIRC Early Access games follow the same rules as normal games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

What this game really needs is a 'ping' option for duo/squad like R6: Siege so you can show your friends what you're looking at/targeting.

I guess you could use the map pins, but those are just as effective as calling out headings.

A ping would be great for Pug groups

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Efexeye posted:

can i get a "mute all plane noise" option please

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSHVooommmmmmmmmmmmmm

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tripwire grenades :getin:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Respawning would make for a weird game. You would end up with a few decked out people against an increasingly large horde of nakeds as the ring got smaller and smaller, until it basically became a zombie shooter.

Actually nm I want to play that game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Never any survival meters like hunger or thirst. Never.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Higher runspeed is over half full and higher accuracy is when it is 90% full I think. Really the painkillers/drinks are there to slowly top off the end of your health that packs won't cover.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Akion posted:

Once you get down to the last 10-20 players, slam all your drugs and energy drinks. The only true way to go out is hopped up on Red Bull and Vicodin with an AK-47 in your hands.

Painkillers I usually save one or two of but after that I usually slam them as I find them. Sure as hell not going to feed anyone who finds my corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A good poster posted:

Are there any videos of how horrendous the voice chat on the plane can get?

Klan_Meeting_Minutes.wmv

• Locked thread