Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Newish to the game here, have the exact same experience. I'm not amazing in a firefight solo, so it's always more comfortable when i drop with my friend, even if we don't get to the top 10 as much (around 10% of the time) as i do by mousing around solo (around 30% of the time).

There's not much that can compare with that adrenaline rush as you get down to the last 13, hiding in a bathroom just inside the safe zone as you hear people closing on your position.

Still suck at the game though. Highest is a #3.
:toot:, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Missing Name posted:

can't pinpoint even direction of the shots and usually wind up running around in circles until dead.

Don't doxx me

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So it seems that the main way for me to improve at pubg is ... get better at FPSs. I do great choosing where to go and when. I get in good spots with decent gear.

But usually my first mid- or late-game firefight, i die because I'm not good at the shooty bits. I guess practice makes perfect...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Star Man posted:

I've got a friend who's got a lot of years of CounterStrike behind him and it shows. The other day he jumped out of a window and got a headshot with a shotgun in midair. Guy just knows how to aim.

That's awesome. I want like, 1/10th of that.
But first, i gotta die.
A lot.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Goffer posted:

I'd say the best way to learn is to hot drop in to the school / other densely packed place, and get used to frantically killing. That way you're dying fast, restarting fast and learning fast, not waiting 15 minutes in terror in some shed. Actively seek combat and eventually the nerves go away a bit.

Remember that they are just as scared of you as you are of them.

It's not the nerves, really. I get worse nerves waiting in that shed than i do hot dropping into the military base or the school or the prison.
It's the aiming part. I'm an average shot in real life, and the literal worst shot in-game.

Also ty for all the rangefinding tips. Those help tremendously. Maybe they should have a place in the OP?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Real men drop in forests and hide on hillsides

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It was like that when I found it! I promise!

I saw some pants like that and was kinda salty when i put them on and they weren't painted.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Wait there's 15x scopes?
Is that the one on the vss?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Huh. Only seen the guns, ammo, and a ghilli suit from the crate. Cool

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I've had real poo poo luck at the power plant every time too, even though so many people seem to drop there whenever i pass by.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Or do that and then hop in a boat. There seem to be quite a few boat spawns there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I watched a friend on the test server last night whip a dacia around tokyo drift-style on accident while off-roading, so there's that.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tweak posted:

switch it with the current ADS method

That would be fine by me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
There really should be a janky :pubg: emote.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I definitely like the Tommy Gun more than the UMP9 for close range because of the slightly higher dps, but i still do like the ump for its ease of use (I'm still a really bad shot)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Trip report: still kinda bad and no chicken dinners, but we're getting better. I still cannot aim for poo poo on a sniper (i usually don't get the kars), but i am getting better.

My buddy (and fellow goon who may read this eventually) still handles the lion's share of the spotting because i am absolutely terrible at it. Any tips at spotting dudes near trees and stufd?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but to me a large part of the charm of PUBG is that chance will really gently caress you over sometimes. In the starting game, that's usually related to loot spawning, but even in the end game, you can do everything right for 25minutes yet still get hosed by a guy hiding in the wrong place when you forgot to check a corner.

Perfect example: last game last night, second to last circle went over the house we were in and one more.

Final circle went right on the other house.
7 people left. Gotta rush the house and hope you get them before they get you.

... we didn't make it. The RNG did not smile upon us with that circle. I still think we made the right call, just couldn't execute well enough. We did everything else right, had multiple kills, were doing great. Just got screwed by the circle.
That's why I like this game, i think.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Soarer posted:

Took down a speed hacker just a bit ago. The real icing on the cake was this game ended with a chicken dinner.

https://youtu.be/nEGAsgjoSzs

Someone point out how to spot it, please?
I don't see how. Dude was just juking back and forth into cover?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
... huh.

Noted. Ty.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That was beautiful.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So i think I've found a glaring problem in my team's strategy when we actually get to the mid-late game with both of us (usually one of us gets blown away early, but we're working on that!).
We really like posting up just below the crest of a hill to give us cover and a good vantage in most directions.
And most times someone comes up on us in the one direction we can't see and kills us by surprise. I now think we really need to keep moving and use the close-edge circle running strat to stay alive and focused. It's easy to get complacent when you just post up like that.

Oh also we need to get better at the shooty bits.
That'll help.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Is it worth it to download and play on it? It should be forthcoming soon in the official game, right?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That's deffo worth it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So i noticed some pretty bad netcode, or de-sync, or whatever-you-call-it BS last night.

I was peeking around the downed truck on the east bridge to military, not exposed too far. I see a dude walking up, he sees me. I move the sight to him and fire, he strafes and i miss. My bad. I instantly die. No health going down, nothing. ... not my bad.

I went back and looked at the recording, and he fired 3 times: two hit my cover to my left, one hit me. I died.
Since we don't have a killcam, i assume the game thought i was far out of cover, and all his shots (plus a couple more i didn't see on my end? I don't think 3 shots with an AKM should be enough to down a guy with lvl2 armor and helmet) all hit my oddly leaning-in-the-open body.

I was angry.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

fletcher posted:

In this game? No way

Yeah i know i know. But this is the first time I'd seen it work so heavily in favor of one side in a firefight.
I guess it's impossible to know without a killcam whether that dude i freaked out on killed with a double barrel was desynched, or if any of the other fights I've won were influenced heavily by it.

It just takes the wind outta your sails.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

hawowanlawow posted:

what's so funny about some dude crawling around in a videogame?

man I hope you're younger than I am

Subversion of expectations?
Usually slapstick comedy when you're expecting tension and drama is pretty funny.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

A good gif

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Is the game down?

E: wakka wakka, maintenance just started.
It'd be nice if they, you know, told you when you tried to connect.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Got a top 5, was looking pretty good up until i died, after a very inauspicious start. Scared a guy away from a crate (almost killed him), grabbed a groza - was super excited to use it. Find some houses with another dude in it somewhere. Final small circle, i come out and go around the corner heading for other cover as the circle closes.
Guy kills me right before i see him.

Didn't even get to use the groza :negative:

Also get hyper for some lever action! :toot:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Well, it wasn't nowhere.
I knew the guy was in the compound, just nor where in the compound he was. I just went on the wrong side of the building, should've gone on the other side, even if i took a bit of damage from the blue. I'd have probably seen him come out and been able to run up on him. It wasn't that far to the circle.

It's good that i can analyze my mistakes now (i have game highlights saving my deaths and kills), but actually executing better plans can be difficult in the heat of the moment.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Affi posted:

Actually bought This as a xmas present to my buddy im playing pubg with :)

We really suck and this is the closest we'll ever get.

that's a great idea, fellow lovely player!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I love the new car physics. They dont feel insane wacky-races-esque anymore, but i still just rolled a truck 8 times and the drove away.

(It slowed down greatly after roll 3, so i just sat there, cheeks in my hands, watching with glee as i slowly rolled downhill in an indestructible truck :allears:)

It's super fun.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

OxySnake posted:

Is it just me or do vehicles run through gas way faster on the new map now?

I think the truck is just a gas guzzler. The buggy doesn't run dry like, ever.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

cosmicjim posted:

Maybe it's because I've never been to the southwest but this doesn't feel real world at all to me.

Being from the southwest definitely helps. It does feel a bit more real to me, except not enough taco stands.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also there are totally .30-30 lever actions that can use scopes.

I literally had a 4x scope on mine last year.
It's a thing. Do it, PUBG.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

fknlo posted:

an 1895 from marlin that has a picatinny rail on it.
This is what i have. If i had an actual win94 i would not drill into it for rails.

But the accuracy of the iron sights is pretty real - the thing is a goddam laser, it's a bit more challenging than a modern assault rifle, but not by much.
Much easier than a garand or an old m-1 style gun.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

revolther posted:

Because he upgraded from a pentium 3.

Goon PC builds go, budget everything High end video card, then when that won't mine bitcoins anymore they buy a whole new mobo/cpu and slap the DDR2 and last gen video card in it and run it out of the mobo box on top of a desk made entirely out of pizza boxes.

Hey my desk is an old door, not pizza boxes :colbert:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just play fpp if tpp is that bad?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Also it seems at the plants shown to the right in this image has been made as a solid object and you can't shoot between the branches, or a least some of them.

Can confirm, joshua trees are solid spiky painful nightmares of the desert.
(Haven't tried to shoot through them in-game, but these things are the ultimate cover when playing paintball. The spikes break all the balls so you're just covered in paint, but unhit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I threw a frag up a hill, thought i got it to the other side safely.

It rolled down and killed my friend.

#winning?

• Locked thread