Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I have a GTX 970, anyone with the same/similar power video card recommend settings for smoother play? The game feels choppy at times, but that could just be alpha game not being optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

970 smooth as silk

if you don't have an SSD you're boned

What settings are you running? I have it on an SSD. There some bumps especially when I am driving a car and I guess I get to a new 'zone'

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Allegedly Allergic posted:

The thing that's killing me in this game is urban combat. I can usually maneuver or evade around people in the open, but if I'm in a city, or even worse, in a building, they almost always get the drop on me unless I'm camping a closet or the stairwell of a 2 story. Any tips?

Its going to be like any close quarters FPS where sound and knowledge of layout is paramount. I am not very good at aiming, but I've always been good at FPS with fast TTK like Action Quake 2, Counter Strike, Battlefield series, Rainbow Six Siege, etc because listening and out smarting is usually better than just having dead on good aim.

Basically WALK everywhere, crouch walk if necessary, or stop and cover the direction of the last time you heard them and LISTEN for them to make sound. Once you know their general direction you have to commit to 1 of 3 plans: Camping where you think they will come through OR flanking them or rush where you think they are.

1. If you're camping yea sure hide in a closet or corner or whatever, though generally you should think of where you'd aim if you came through a door and do the opposite
2. If you're flanking them its always good to take unconventional routes like jump over a ledge / out a window instead of going a normal route. If you do this speed is key so dont worry about walking unless you can move/drop down quietly as well
3. If you're bum rushing you need to guess what side they are hiding on and be ready to shoot ASAP.

If you're ever getting in a ring around the rosey on a building the winning move is almost always to stop and turn around and blast them when they come around the corner. Depending on how close they are to you you may need high mouse sensitivty and good aim for this to work.

Sound is the key.

Here is a rainbow 6 video illustrating and this is console so its even more of a bitch to shoot people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcZDno929eY

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Teaming is kind of in the spirit of Battle Royale atleast from the movie perspective, but I guess it would be lame if people are intentionally trying to get in the same game instead of organically deciding to team up in the moment.

Just IMO.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Whats the ideal 2 weapon setup? Rifle + Shotgun? Double Rifle?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I managed to win for the first time yesterday. I made a bet on the final circle being in a field and there was one of those shacks with the picnic table. I ended up making it there when there were about 20 people left and hid in the shack with 300 rounds of 5.56, 4 smoke bombs, and a 4x scope and killed 3 dudes who were fighting the others collapsing on the center. Then I just ran out and sprayed the last dude full auto when I heard him sneaking up on the other side of the shack.

I can't wait for this game to be less janky because it has been frustrating dealing with things like reloading a gun not actually reloading it, or how many times I have to hit enter to open a door / pick something up / get in a car / loot someones body when I see the prompt.

I also had a funny & frustrating death where a carepackage landed in water and i swam to it and spent 5 minutes having accidentally dropped my rifle & level 3 helmet to the bottom of the ocean to the point where a guy in a boat was able to make it to the package. He spent 3 minutes shooting at me while I tried to swim to shore missing me the entire time and the game kept faking me out by letting me stand in the water so I'd begin reloading the gun I dropped but then i'd go abck to swimming and eventually the guy wised up and went to the beach to shoot me instead of trying in his boat. Lemme shoot a gun in the water :(

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Today I learned you can't jump into the ocean from not even a very high cliff????? wtf

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Badfinger posted:

Ok, how do I win game? I can grab top 10 more than 20% of the time but I haven't nailed one down yet. I most commonly eat it 10-9-8 or in the 4-6 range. I don't even think I've made it to #2 in solo. I feel like if I did that I'd probably win, I just can't get it to 1v1.

Ive won 1 time and came in 5th as well as 2nd before in like ~30 games, the times where I got close to winning was anticipating the final circle and being prone by the time it started to get really tight or like when i won when i could hide in one of the picnic shacks.

So uh anticipate and get there first and camp? Don't shoot and reveal yourself until absolutely necessary and let everyone else kill each other.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I had some fun games yesterday including one where i was racing to the circle ahead of the blue line in a buggy when a motorcycle came up behind me. Swapped to the bucket seat and lit him up then went back to driving.

I wish they would add a kill cam for solo at least. I was sneaking up on a crate and was hiding behind a big rock when i got shot at and no matter what side of the rock i hid behind i could still be plinked. From the sound it had to be the same guy but no idda how he had vision on every side of the rock from distance.

And the one time i made it to a crate i got a m24 suppressor and 8x scope but then thr circle shrank to the other side of a coverless valley. Rip. Still managed a few kills with it and was really fun i wish i could find kar/sks/whatever more often in the wild.

Is the 2 shot shotgun better than the pump?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Man I just had a nice game where I managed to get pretty loaded up with a SCAR + Silencer + 4x, killed 2 dudes and got an AWM off one and i was carrying a sniper silencer from the first house I looted, killed a dude with that and then made the stupid mistake in one of the final 2 circles where I was racing the blue zone and made it right as it hit the white line while under fire so I didn't realize it and just saw the blue (now defunct old white one but not closing in) line and kept going right into the jaws of death. Was nice and poised for a potentially strong finish.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I ran over a guy who had apparently just looted a crate drop with my buggy yesterday. He had kar with 8x lvl3 armor and helmet and a bazillion ammo. Didnt help him vs a car. For his consolation i got picked off while prone in tall grass thinking about what i wanted to do because the other guy was far enough away that my tall grass was invisible. Never got to snipe someone :(

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I just had back to back 2nd place finishes, both times the final circle was closer to the other guy and gave him better cover :negative: First one was a field with hay bales and he happened to get 2 on his side while i got jackshit. Second time we both had trees on 2nd to last circle but then the final circle was on his side and I had to run through empty terrain to get to it, died in the blue a step from reaching it and being able to dive prone behind someones car :( Both games I had a lot of skirmishes and some kills, which is a lot more fun than the usual top 20 looting empty houses followed by being sniped by some guy behind a tree unceremoniously while never really seeing anyone.

I wish they would make 4x scopes not suck rear end.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Whats the best way to hunt people abd pick fights anyhow? I've been trying to drop more aggressively or at least have a plan at the beginning of games, so I've had a lot of games start where I get a kill right away. Then I end up just... never finding anyone until the end of the game????

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I think ive about had it with the pump shotgun. I already dump it if I find the 2 shot one or the auto shotty, but now I think I'll dump it for the SMGs too.

I was clearing a small town that was pretty out of the way and after clearing the front half I saw someone moving in one of the houses on the back half. I got in position on a hill with some nice tree cover and decided to wait him out since I was safely in the circle. While waiting another guy showed up and the first guy decided to leave. I shot and killed the first guy knowing it would draw the other guy out as well and so I ran back to the tree as the guy took the bait. Since I only had ~17 shots left in my rifle and no reload I switched to the pump and nailed him twice then got ripped up by his AKM.

Whats the point!!! I got the drop but could only get off 2 shots before the rifle's damage and ROF overtook it and apparently big red blood bursts don't mean poo poo.

I've had a lot better luck with the 2 shot I think in that I could have dumped it then swapped, and I think I could have atleast spammed him if I had the auto shotty. When I am running up to a tree that blocks LOS from the opponent and I know I can get the drop I'd prefer to have a full auto gun there.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Don't sleep on the pan folks!! I busted 2 dudes at the edge of the old circle right before it started collapsing again. They had that good loot so I stuck around a bit too long dealing with the lovely inventory system. I was running essentially dead ahead of the circle collapse into the teeth of the bad guys and eventually got an angle so they were shooting my butt. If I didn't have like 10 dudes plinking at me I woulda lived cuz that pan dinged off like 20 rifle rounds. Would have been fucken awesome if I had made it but it didn't pan out :( But at least my pan went to valhalla.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 16, 2017

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
One of the final circles was in a city and a crate landed right in the middle of it but it landed on one of those chest high walls so you couldn't actually loot it (presumably you could if you could jump ontop of the wall). Many a pubger was lured to their death by the siren song of the unlootable crate that day.

Final circles in a city is way cooler than in a field. Got like 7 kills in the final 3 circles having cool shoot outs in the city.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Vss was my fav gun in bf bc2. Was pro to shoot into bushes to get enemies to do their sniper bark and then kill em off the sound.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
:whitewater: the 4x scope sucks balls

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I have the worst luck with loot. I dropped into a small area with 3-4 houses with one other dude, and the house I chose first had an uzi with a few boxes of 9mm and nothing else but clothes. A minute or two later I hear the other dude approaching so I hide in a corner and spray him in the face. He's got a SCAR, AKM, a medkit, and a shitton of ammo, and armor. So unless I get absurdly lucky it's almost always better to just grab whatever gun you can and go take some other dude's poo poo.

I feel you dude. I played for 2 hours yesterday and 3 games I dropped into a medium or high loot chance zone and once only found pistols, foregrips, & vests no major guns or med items. Once I got a KAR with only 15 bullets and zero scopes or other attachments, and once I did get an M416 but only with 30 bullets. I was like wut. This is after exploring like multiple 3 level giant houses and poo poo.

Sometimes the loot just sucks. Killing players is definitely the best way to gear up, but then sometimes you can't even find any of them :psyduck: Or the worst is when you do find them but they are all the way out of the circle or some poo poo so you cant even loot them. Ahh!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I wish there was a non-island lobby I could join for each game so i dont have to deal with all the gunfire and lag before each match.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Bardeh posted:

It's partly an optimization thing, and partly a '100 players on a server' thing. The tick rate is also quite low. For me, the shooting holds up quite well even at higher latencies because most of it is at long ranges and relatively slow paced, and you're often leading your shots anyway due to bullet travel time. It's opening doors, picking up items and close range combat where the latency comes into effect.

I think the combat is the worst at really long & really close ranges. Its really good at mediumish to close. If you're both inside / near a house its kind of hosed, but if you're like both in different houses shooting at each other its cool. For example I was in a house looking at the door outside while crouched near the door to the next room. A guy surprised me by opening the door to outside and i opened fire but he ducked to the side. I sprinted to the next room but then died from his UMP having never seen him or heard him shoot, I was like ???

I know its probably not likely, but I'd love DICE or some other AAA to take a stab at this genre. Its really great gameplay, just could do with a smoother experience.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I got run over 3 times tonight :negative:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I just did a major stupid. I was looting the big apts near the school and there was some mad max poo poo going on outside like 6 cars of various makes crashing into each other and tearing up all over the place. 2 crashed near me and got in a shoot out and i had a good vantage to kill the survivor. Did so, made my way to loot and of course while i am looting the circle closes past me. I pick up and run and get to the edge and hide behind a tree and get shot immediately.

I ran from 2 perfectly working cars... what the gently caress was I thinking

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Can someone explain how a 2nd monitor and looking at it would enable a guy to cheat at this game and make sick snipes. I come from a simpler time of RATBOT and crt monitors so im not following the accusation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I was in a game with MrGrimmz and he died immediately :( I made it to final 9 then died to blue because of the lovely inventory management system :v

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
NA server lag (I guess?) is bonkers right now. Anything that requires USE to do is a 50/50 crapshoot on whether your guy will do it or not. This update also changed the layout of the bunkers, there is a lot more cover on the long hallways now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, 'you can be banned for deliberate griefing' is not very rare in the video game community and has thus far not really seemed to be a point of much legal contention.

gamers think you can sue a company for making a girl protagonist, they're not the brightest legal minds

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The vss is a fun gimmick weapon. I landed near military base garages and got a vss. Killed another lander and ran towards the storage building and hid in one of the bushes near the back door because i could hear someone coming. Realized someone was hiding in the bush right infront of me and killed him without alerting anyone else.

Saw grimmz on his stream using it to harass people because you dont know where the shots are coming from.

I wish all the guns showed the bullets like that so i could get better at sniping.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Thank loving god. I dropped into Mylta power plant or whatever, the burned out warehouse and got stuck with a 1911 vs a rifle so I ran to the roof and jumped onto the pipes. Promptly fell through the pipe grating and got stuck. Couldnt crouch my way out, jump out, or prone out. I waited for the other guy to get near and fired at him so he could kill me. Vaulting out would be welcome. Also spent a lot of the night being frustrated at all the various low walls i can't jump over.

In other news the VSS is actually loving dirty in the final circle. Since everyone is usually shooting and exchanging fire people usually: 1. not at full health which means the lower damage is less of a problem 2. distracted which makes the vss even more clutch at disrupting fights without drawing attention 3. full auto which lets you spray into bushes you think have wookies

Managed to chicken dinner with a vss & a scar. Only used the scar for the last guy since he had to run through no man's land. Posted up behind a tree and watched for the runners to start causing havoc and got some chip shots in. Finished off a guy who just survived a fight and only took a body shot and headshot with level 2 helmet and unknown vest.

If they buff the gun at all its gonna be even dirtier.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Badfinger posted:

Zharki is cool but North Georgopol has all the benefits with barely any additional risk.

right on. north googleopolis has so many giant buildings it would be very hard for you to end up in a lovely situation dropping there. Everyone always goes for the warehouses.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

CitizenKain posted:

I drop in the Georgopol shipping yard, run around frantically as people make running punches for a bit until someone finds a AKM. I find a M416, look around for a bit and hit those houses up just south of them. First house, 4x scope and a K98. 2nd house, another 4x scope, more ammo, armor.

Things are looking up. I'm running for that hill just north of them, I hear a car and hit the deck, he runs me over.

I had a hilarious start to a game yesterday in the shipping yard. I found the overunder shotgun and killed a dude with it, picked up his scar, met up with my teammate. He had a VSS & a shotgun so I ask him to swap me the SCAR for the VSS. He drops the vss, I drop the scar & ammo, I pick up the VSS he doesn't drop the ammo, my shotgun disappears (???) and then another guy with a SCAR comes running up. I dip and hide behind a crate while my teammate gets lit up. This guy comes looking for me but I hide by a crate then run behind him and to the other warehouse. He follows. I do the same trick again and run back to my teammate's body and grab the 9mm. He runs after and I VSS the poo poo out of him. Then another person who came running up after all the gunfire, VSS the poo poo out of that guy too. End up with level 3 everything & guns and go to make my way out when I get headshot by a guy named Headsh0t4lyfe with a kar.

Was worth it for the beginning.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Ending on a high note :coal:

Also just had a fun squad chicken dinner where we survived to the very end after clearing out Yasnaya as a team and getting geared up, then took a great position on the final 3 circles and just mowed down everyone. We had 1 silenced rifle, a vss, and a silenced vector and were just plinking everyone until it was 4 v 3 and the 3 were not in the same squad. Ended up 3v1 with the last guy sniping behind a tree.

Ended with 9 kills and the VSS accounted for 8 of them in the final 3 circles, was just brutal silent death with an extended quick draw mag. Went through 130 rounds by the end of it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is a video documenting how good the UMP is and my struggles with the circle. I actually didn't have an extended mag in either game, but man does it work well at up to 100m.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/148659759

why did you stay so long the second clip, why?? WHY????

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The uzi, over under, s12k, and ump are basically the early game weapons i want to grab immediately upon landing. The uzis rof is so high its easy to magdump people at the beginning of the game when theres chaos and no one has entrenched positions full armor and scopes. 1v3d a squad early game using an uzi and running around a large truck.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

So a guy just drove a buggy straight at me while I fired half a clip directly at his head with a scar and somehow he didn't go down. Am I crazy or is the front of the buggy supposed to be unprotected? That felt like some serious horse poo poo.

I have never won the man vs car scenario yet ive been shot out of my car like 3 times while trying to run people over. I don't get it honestly. I aim at the drivers position on the windshield and let loose and never accomplish poo poo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

lead your shots?

Lead where? They are driving straight at me !! Shooting people out of cars that are not currently running me over is a lot easier for some reason.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Man dropped into north googleopolis but apparently everyone went warehouses i looted that place free for 10 minutes and was leaving with a fully kitted M4 + silencer + sniper attachments for whenever i found one and host closed connection :(

Can't wait for this game to be more stable

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Just had a nice man mode solo dinner w/ 8 kills. After clearing Pachinko & killing 2 stragglers running the circle I was at 5 kills and pinned down near a building outside of the huge field north of Pachinko. Final circle was gonna be in the field for sure. There was a guy in the house I was hiding next to, a guy for sure in the house next to that one, and a sniper out in the fields somewhere. There was a UAZ sitting half out of the zone that one of the house campers left so I made an interesting tactical decision and grabbed it. Drove to the circle and got cover behind the hill. For some reason the sniper that had great position on the hill didn't hear my car or me cuz he was busy shooting at people on the other side so I killed him and ended up with the high ground where I could easily headshot all the prone field crawlers left for the win. I don't think 1 month ago PUBG me would have grabbed the jeep and went for the aggressive play.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
5 kills, just ran over a dude and grabbed an AR silencer, SKS with full attachments + Silencer off him too, full meds & ammo & boosts for end game, 30 people left. Get on motorcycle to head to the circle.

Immediately face plant the bike and die. Ahhh!!! Second night in a row I had great kit and couldn't resist the allure of the bike. The siren call of the suicide machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I love looting a small town and all the spawns are crossbows :argh:

• Locked thread