Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
this is a really fun game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Ace of Space posted:

I've found I'm good at getting gear and surviving to the top 10, but then I have to actually shoot people and everything goes horribly wrong. Having a lot of fun though. Some optimization issues aside, its a really well released early access game.

It's really situational as these games generally are, but yeah I'm the same way. If you get lucky on where you drop and what's in the first few houses, you'll at least get to the top half almost instantly.

Two 2nd places in solo so far, just can't get those last kills goddammit.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

always be closing posted:

I find the more active my rounds are the more fun I have, so I don't mind playing from ahead or behind so to speak. The stakes are so high that every engagement is pretty thrilling.

I have total confidence in PU, as he created the genre, has probably watched more games and looked at more data than anyone.

That's what I'm finding charming about this game so far, every game is really unique when it comes to encounters with other players and it doesn't feel stale compared to other shooters. I'm new to the battle royale genre though so it might just be that.

Last night I taught a dude that if I'm driving a car at you and you shoot me, the machine spirit in my car becomes enraged and will still run you over after I'm dead. Very next game I got hit with a frying pan in the first 30 seconds.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

VulgarandStupid posted:

Reminder: Hollywood movies are stupid, if you're sniping a target from inside a house, don't stand right by the window. Take a few steps back, you'll be less open from other angles.

Also a good rule of thumb is unless you're really good, always snipe with a buddy. If you're solo in a house and sniping because that's what you did in Battlefield, you're gonna get flanked really hard. Shoot and move.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Welp after 70 or so rounds I finally won a solo. The last 5 minutes might have been the most frightening and intense moment I've ever had in a videogame.

That's the kinda poo poo this game seems to do better than most.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

VulgarandStupid posted:

The other thing is you don't have to shoot at your enemies right away. If you're playing with a team or partner and the target doesn't see you, it's best to wait until a couple of you have shots lined up before you open up. Especially if you're a bad shot, don't give your position away for no reason.

Especially if it's a team game and you only see one. I haven't played many duo or squad matches, but the number one lesson I learned is if you kill the first guy you see his buddy will then kill you.

I've literally let people walk away completely unmolested and even let them loot buildings I was planning on looting if it seems that I can put myself in a better position for a fight down the road. The realism of the shooting in this game is going to trip a lot of people up but if you're good at planning your moves you won't be shooting at much. Aim seems almost like a secondary skill in PUBG.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Killing people will affect your overall ranking but Top-10's, to me, seem like a more reliable way of increasing the overall score. My K/D is rear end (something like 0.35) and I'm still around ~5,000th place in Solo.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
One of the things that's cool so far is it seems there's really no meta build or strat to take, really. Half of this game is luck, maybe more. You can go in with a ton of people and your chance of dying goes way up, but beyond that, I've found success with a car and going someplace others haven't. I can jump straight down and as long as there isn't many people near, I'm good that way, too. Hell, I've even made it to the top 10 with just a pistol I found in a shack and hiding in previously looted buildings like a chickenshit.

As long as you make it past the first 50 players and don't get a bad matchup/draw a bead on the other guy first, you're golden IMO.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, if bite sized tactical shooters are your thing this game is already worth $30. All they really have to do is work on optimization, tbh. Anything that comes after that fact is gravy.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
To be completely honest, I'd almost say "never snipe" just as a blanket statement for this game, which is weird for a shooter in 2017. I mean, by all means pick up the 4x or 8x if you find it and an SKS or K98 or whatever, but to snipe properly in this game you need to really have positioning and set up for ambushes. That takes time. Time you don't have, because early game the spacing between players is large and you should be looting. Mid-game is probably when sniping is most useful, and late game that rifle is taking up a slot that might be better suited for a UMP or shotgun. Sniping with the M16 or M416 is likely the best way, with the AKM if you can also get one for building fights.

It's not that sniper rifles are bad, but they aren't OP in this game which is refreshing. Always a danger to players, but not so overbearing that the game devolves into a sniper duel. Keep them in your toolkit, but if you're playing this game to snipe someone will likely come along and eat your lunch.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Just for the record, most of what I say I'm applying to Solo because that's what I play. I'd imagine having a dedicated long range guy in Squad is probably far more useful.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Are they gonna add a first person only mode or something? That's something I always disliked about DayZ (or even Arma itself). If it's there I'm gonna use it cause I'm not going to put myself in a disadvantage over some e-honour BS but I don't like using third person and don't like the lack of danger in some situations

Press V in game for first person

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Even if you kill the dude with a sicknasty 500m headshot, you've just let everyone know you exist. Unless you also have a suppressor, in which case you basically won the PUBG lottery because I don't think I've ever encountered a suppressor and a DMR/sniper in the same game. I always pick up the sniper stuff too, if only to keep it away from others. Seems like when I pick up an 8x and a can, no rifle will ever drop for me.

Suppressed M16 with a 4x just feels infinitely more useful to me.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Electric Charity posted:

ive seen some interesting ad hoc boat strategies

game is cool and good

So today I was playing and was plinking at a guy around 350m from me, maybe 400 I dunno. Early game, found an AKM and started chasing him down the river like 5 minutes in. I normally would've ran but we were late jumpers and went for distance on the drop and not speed, and in the circle so what the hell, right? Well, I get a boat on the coast of the river we were by, to catch him as I found a 4x and extended AKM mag and stopped to equip them. There was a cliff side, and I saw him drop into the water in a tiny cove. Gotcha, bitch! I run up there, put the nose of the boat into that cove, and jump on top. He's swimming and trapped and cant stand up due to the walls being so steep. Shotgun blast to the head, can't loot from the top I jump on in to get his stuff.

Then I realized the boat was on a sandbar and I had just trapped myself like an idiot.

So I'm like 67th place then or something. Welp, just gonna die here, 1 kill and at least a top 50 so what the hell, dumb mistake but it could have been worse. The circle continues to shrink and then I realized it's centering me the whole way down. It finally catches me, but I blast some painkillers and use my first aid and bandages.

Finished 13th :downs:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
This game certainly does have some moments of unintentional hilarity.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Clavavisage posted:

dayz and arma jankiness preped me well for this game, its really easy to play slow and get into top 10 if you just sit and wait ... and wait.. and wait
won 2 so far without getting a single kill but i'm sure my strat is going to be short lived once everyone figures out the best way to peek windows, shotgun breach doors, quickly clear houses
i hope they incorporate some kind of toggle lean mechanic though

Even if everyone knows how to peek windows there's still buildings that have rooms with only one way in or out. I really, really think this is a game where there's no wrong strat or loadout, which is really cool to me for some reason. The only thing that absolutely, positively won't get you to the last 25 or so is a melee only build, everything else is on the table so far.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Hopefully they address it in some way, but even if they don't it's so irrelevant that idc if they ever do fix it.

I mean, it'd be fun as hell to have an early game fistfight but really this is a fairly realistic sim of modern combat and hand to hand really isn't a thing, lol.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
When I won my first (and so far only) Solo game I did the fist pump and let out a lil yell of celebration, and I haven't done that since the first time I got an iRacing win years ago :3:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

a glitch posted:

Is this worth buying for someone who hasn't played this kind of game before? Closest thing I've done would be loving around in Minecraft and ARK. The concept seems really cool but it would be a totally new kind of game for me.

I had never played this genre before and the most realistic shooters I've played prior to this has been Counterstrike or America's Army 2.0 and I'm hooked on this game. Like Nazzadan said, you can always refund it, but I bet you'll love it. They did $11 million in sales this past weekend and it's rivaling LoL and CS:GO for viewers on Twitch, not because of hype but because it's a solid game.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Hopefully they'll do a traditional style shooter grouping of 50 vs 50, I think that'd be chaos.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
The only people I can watch on Twitch is SovietWomble/Cyanide/Edberg, the rest is unbearable.

Here's a really good match with Cyanide and Edberg, the ending is legendary

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 28, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Usually you see games designed for eSports, I wonder if this is the first really big "made for streaming" game. It really has a nice episodic feel to it rather than being just hyper competitive.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Today I learned that shotguns can punch holes through doors, much to my delight and the guy hiding in the bathroom's horror.

All guns can do that and it's way more satisfying to chew the door apart with an AKM :smug:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

VulgarandStupid posted:

Get good. The biggest thing new people try to do is kill too much, which is a horrible idea when you suck at shooting. It's best to wait for ideal moments, for example sneaking up to the building a guy is in and then gunning him down when he leaves. If you take shots at someone in the distance, you're telling all of the aggressive players in half a in "hey come gently caress me." So don't shoot if you don't have someone caught in the open, unless you really have to. This may not even result in more kills, but you'll survive longer while everyone else wipes each other out and you get more points.

"STOP TRYING TO KILL PEOPLE" should be in flashing red text at the start of every new player tutorial for this game.

Can't speak for Duo or Squad much (though I just won in a random Squad game), but in Solo staying alive is way better than trying to kill people. You might be a super aim mutant in which case go nuts, but the average Battlefield or Counterstrike player is gonna get wrecked trying to run and gun, or take bad shots in the open. I've basically ditched grabbing two rifles which I see a ton of people still running with, and I think at this point I have more UMP kills than anything. Ambushes at short range are the equalizer in this game.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
The Unknown God giveth, and he taketh away

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Molchane posted:

Anyone know if groups of 3s in squad get matched with groups of 4?

They seem to, because I've solo queued for Squad and got put with 3 guys in Teamspeak together. I think the only groupings is solo, two and four.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Perestroika posted:

I'm not entirely sure about that, I've had two separate occasions where I played with two friends and we just got matched as a 3-people squad straightaway. Though of course it could just be that the matchmaker didn't find a fourth guy for us in time and just went "gently caress it" :shrug:

Keep in mind that ideally you'll have 25 teams and 100 players, but often only 97 or so start the game.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
1. Yes
2. You can have mine I just throw them at nothing anyway
3. Probably poo poo I don't know
4. I cower in bathrooms so no

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Nazzadan posted:

It's me, I'm that rat.

Yeah, same. It's my bathroom goddammit.

Olewithmilk posted:

I got 2nd today by sitting in a boat in the middle of the ocean for most of the game.

To be honest this is the kind of stuff they should never change. The circle placement is fine and if someone wants to do this and has enough map awareness to pull it off, so be it. The minute everyone figures it out we'll just have naval gun battles and everyone will stop anyway.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 29, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Paradigmata posted:

I have two roadkills, both are me.

I have two roadkills also, though I didn't get credit for them because they happened after my target killed me.

I form weird bonds with my Dacia's, they seek revenge upon my death.

e- Also that's something they need to fix in Duo and Squad, if you get shot in a car with teammates alive you still get knocked out, but getting knocked out also kicks you out of the car. Meaning, if you get knocked out in a car you automatically die.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 30, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think that's something with Arma as well, or it's the opposite where if you get knocked out, it's hard (or impossible) to get the body out to revive. I haven't played Arma 2 in a while so I forget, but a lot of the weird stuff in this game seems to come from how Arma 2 handled things

It's hardly a gamebreaking thing but it's kinda annoying when it happens. I'm sure it's not too hard to just code it so you are able to enter and exit a vehicle when knocked out. Maybe it is, I dunno.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Tapping on the top 1,000 in Solo NA with a 0.60 K/D

Feels good, man.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
They've said more maps are coming, dunno about day/night cycles though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I would think that since the bar fills yellow to orange to red that there would be some negative effects of taking a ton of pills or a ton of caffeine all at once. But for the record I noticed yesterday that you get little icons above the remaining boost bar that indicate if you're getting a speed and heal boost.

No, see, you're taking downers and uppers together so they cancel out.

willie_dee posted:

Had some amazing fights, including lots of multiple shooter fights as the safe area got smaller and smaller, its hilarious to see a car careening past fleeing the blue line only to get shot by everyone waiting in the safe area.

The best way to describe this game to someone that I've heard so far is "a series of Liveleak videos interspersed with a marathon simulator".

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I like that there still isn't a meta. There isn't a killer loadout (besides armor but yeah that's obvious), there isn't a winning strat. You can either be a gunplay god, or a devious ratfucker and go exactly the same distance to success. You can hug the circle or camp the middle, you can hide in houses or stay outdoors the whole time.

A week in and it's pretty amazing that the tryhards haven't broken the gameplay yet.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think the collapsing blue circle has something to do with it.

They try, though. Watch Summit1G's stream, he literally does the same strat over and over (namely driving to the coast and looting the containers) and he either wins because he's good at gunplay or gets destroyed by positioning.

When he gets destroyed by positioning, he does indeed blame the circle. It's hilarious.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Most engagements happen between 100m and 300m anyway, and late game you're forced into that situation anyway. It doesn't hurt to have a sniper and an 8x, and a suppressed assault rifle is nice, but if I have lvl 2 armor, helmet and bag, a few medkits and boosts, and an automatic rifle I consider myself geared. It just seems that a reliance on looting the best possible gear puts you at a disadvantage time and distance wise.

Yesterday a dude had an AWM, 8x and a suppressor for it and I ganked his rear end with a base level UMP as he was scoping for easy kills. He never knew I was stalking him for 5 minutes prior to camping that tree. All his armor and weapons got him zilch.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
DayZ is wonky af IMO

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, the only other Early Access game I've ever seen this solidly handled was Kerbal Space Program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Met some dudes randomly in Squad and we had a good run. Highlight of the night was pinning down a squad in some houses from a ridgeline and getting tunnel vision so bad that we got wiped by a team that crested the hill behind us.

• Locked thread