Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

VulgarandStupid posted:

There's a new type of unlockable... it's hood ornaments.

https://youtu.be/Cp4ZbGGiql0

he died historic on the pub gee road, witness him

Bardeh posted:

I've been unable to connect for going on 16 hours now and their forum is no help at all, and from looking there it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. I load up the game, see the main screen with the AK and the pillars, and then nothing happens. I've let it sit for an hour or more while I went out, and when I came back there was no change. What's weird is that it was working fine before, and then suddenly just stopped working, and that if I use a VPN I can connect, but it takes a very long time and I have to repeat the process every single game because once a game finishes I encounter the exact same problem again when it tries to go back to the menu.

I guess it has something to do with their main auth/login servers, but I just wanna play some Battlegrounds and I don't know how to fix this. :(

I get this too and the only solution I've found is to exit and relog. Repeatedly. Usually after 4 or 5 times it works.

Bardeh posted:

That sounds like a very good strat for purely climbing the leaderboard, but it doesn't really sound like much fun.

It's basically what I do, as well, and it depends on what your idea of fun is. Skulking around and avoiding firefights is a lot harder than it looks, and trust me, hiding in a building with a car nearby attracts people who have the idea that fun=fighting, so you do get into firefights.

It's just that you're forcing other players to enter into a fight on your terms, not theirs, and since the combat in this game is "realistic", goading an enemy into a fight while you have a defensive posture (ideally on the second floor of a house with only one way up) means you have a distinct advantage. Running and gunning is fun as gently caress, but you're gonna get caught out a lot. Doing it in the way described cuts back on the fighting, but increases your odds of winning the fights you do get in.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
You'll get better at combat. If you've only played shooters like CS:GO or Battlefield or whatever there's some bad habits you need to unlearn, but once you get the feel for when and how to engage your kills will go up.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

For some reason the game is super laggy when you first hit the ground, that goes away pretty quickly. I'm not sure if that is some hidden addition loading or what, but it does make jumping immediately difficult sometimes.

It could also have something to do with like 50% of the server pop dying in the first five minutes as well.

The map is actually made up of multiple zones of different servers melded together via coding black magic I don't understand, so if you jump where a ton of people are that area will be more laggy than elsewhere on the map.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Bardeh posted:

I just tried 10 times in a row and no dice. I guess I'll keep doing this dumb VPN thing, but it means it takes 10 minutes each time to get into a game. :sigh: I have no idea what changed between when it was working fine and now.

It sounds dumb to ask, but have you tried launching as admin? I've exited Steam and launched both as admin and it seemed to help.

Note that this bug will happen again, usually it won't launch, I'll relog a few times, get a few games in and have to repeat the process.

If this was any game other than this I would have filed a refund, but this game is so good I just put up with it :negative: Hopefully they fix it in the next patch.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I like how all the answers to ttk being too fast are, "GET GOOD!!" or "IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND BETTER EQUIPMENT" I regularly make it down to 20 or less people and then just get shot in the head from behind from a million miles away because the final circle is in the middle of a field or forest with very little cover.

Smoke grenades are your friend

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Am I seeing the same smoke grenades? Every time I have thrown one it was a tiny little poot of smoke and that's it. Hardly enough to cover anything. It's so ineffectual that I sometimes wonder if my graphics settings are screwing it up.

Yeah, they aren't great if you use one, but I pick up as many as I can find because if you toss 3 or 4 you'll get good coverage to a better position.

Keep in mind that they are as good as gunshots in regards to giving up your position, so they are very situational and IMO definitely a single use, late game only style of item.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
In CS you can overcome bad positioning with aggressive play and good aim, but in PUBG you're much better off being cautious and not shooting at all if you can help it. It's almost never beneficial to move from point A to point B in a straight line, which means you have to preplan where you're going, you need to look around you and then use what you can to get there with the most coverage possible.

All the aim practice in the world won't help you if you don't plan a way to get to cover and set up the shots you take.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Solo is really fun, yeah. It's far more stressful IMO, Duo is sort of similar and Squads are either a poo poo show of hilarity or a Spec Ops simulator depending on your team makeup.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Man I got hooked up with some guys for a squad and having 4 people in Teamspeak coordinating in this game is so crazy.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
That insta-mystery death part is kinda what sells me on the game. Like, you already deal with the RNG gods with loot and circle placement, getting sniped from a poltergeist a mile away, to me anyway, is just another RNG result. Or maybe that's how I compartmentalize it to keep from raging, I dunno.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It's not, though, and I think it's not good to think about it in that way. You should be able to understand what events ultimately led to you getting killed.

Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. Circle closes such that you have to cross a bunch of open ground, you get shot.

In other cases, dying means that you did, in fact, do something wrong. You can't always know where other people will be, so you have to play as though there's always someone stalking you. Hand-waving deaths out in the woods as RNG doesn't help you die less often.

I mean, I just do that as a mental note. In reality I know I died because that guy had better positioning on me. It happens. I've jumped my share of dudes in this game so when I get shot and don't know from where, it's just balance. Would I like to know from where? Maybe, but even if I did know I'll still die to a guy like that later on anyway, it's just the nature of games like this.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Reztes posted:

loving love that voice chat is still active for a few seconds after you die, every time I kill some salty motherfucker and their vengeful ghost calls me a pussy human being I just cackle with glee.

It's cliche as gently caress, but I've given a few dudes the never unfunny "surprise, motherfucker!" right as I shotgun them.

Also voice chat was great earlier when a dude had my two teammates pinned in a house. Then another squad showed up and pinned him.

"Truce?" came the timid voice. "Sure" was the reply. In the house he came, other squad died, then my guys and he ran opposite directions while counting to ten before turning to have an OK Corral shootout. This game is loving hilarious sometimes.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
In game chat is fine if you set it to team only but lol people are dumb.

Teamspeak or similar is much better, though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the guns have to be completely realistic, just like the laser/ghost barrier that kills you if you're in it and is on a timer

It's as realistic as taking a Dacia off road at 60mph and living.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As realistic as healing your bullet wounds because you drank six cans of Monster

This is actually accurate

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Just won my first Duo, now have wins in all three game modes. loving intense.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

busb posted:

I got killed by beaglerush in my first game, the jerk.

Squad games are not as fun as duos or solos, i think because of the scarcity of cars and the amount of loot you need to get everyone geared up

Squad games are actually the most fun, but it's absolutely crucial you find a good team and use Teamspeak. I got hooked up with a group of guys, two of which are in the military. They understand the basics of covering fire, overwatch, bounding movement and all that fun stuff. We've been wrecking poo poo, usually get top 5 every game. Solo and Duo are fun to play, because it's a bit more laid back, Squad is the most intense but also the most satisfying.

Though that brings me to a fun bug. We won a game earlier, no one died, and we all got credited with a Duo win instead. Like, how the gently caress does that happen? In any case, up to 4 wins total, 1 Solo, 1 Duo and 2 Squad.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

busb posted:

Did... Did i just get "well actually"d out of my opinion???

Fun is subjective, no one is wrong!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

cyanidewolf posted:

Because my squadmates died, I decided to do something completely ridiculous and found a great tactic for those zones ending near the beach.

1: Find a boat
2: Park boat near the beach
3: Float behind boat so you can't be shot from the beach
4: Wait until the zone is very tiny, then dive under the boat and beach yourself like the fat whale you are
5: Shoot at unsuspecting players because who the gently caress spends all this time in the water
6: ???

For bonus hilarity points, you can also jump in the boat as a passenger and fire at people, but that tends to draw a bit of attention.
Got my squad alone from 78 players still alive to until 2 teams remained, me and 3 guys on the other team. Did not win, but will definitely try this again if conditions are suitable.

Fun fact: If a supply crate drops 2 map boxes out in the ocean while 90 are alive, you and a squaddie can swim out to it, have one realize the zone will kill you and swim back to get a boat, then make a daring pickup and outrun the wall. If you do this, you can get back on the beach with 20 left alive!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, that's why swimming to the one out in the ocean behind an island was so appealing, because no way in hell could we get sniped.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Avoiding contact until late game is definitely the only thing approaching a meta strat this game has. Though, skirting the circle does leave you open to getting wrecked by players who camp the circle and/or get lucky with drops and circle placement. My squad usually tries to stay in the circle as deep as possible at all times because moving is bad and you should feel bad for going across open ground.

It's really down to what you feel comfortable with. Both sides have pros and cons.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I just now realized they took the crossbow out of the game, that's how atrocious it was.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
oh my god is this thread gonna have loving politics in it too

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
China is number one, I guess

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
It's a videogame based off of a meme

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol what is the point of queueing up as solo for squad

get put with 3 randoms and 0 way to communicate wew lad

I guess you make good cannon fodder lol

I met the guys I play with as a Solo in Squad. Now we finish mainly top 5 every game.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Scarecow posted:

Is anyone else really over the rng element of the end game? Having a bubble spawn on the edge of the current one and you being loving miles away from it really sucks

If it's the end zone rng you hate, you're actually mad about it spawning dozens of yards from you.

Early game gives you plenty of time to move, if it was consistently placed the whole game would consist of "camp dead center, don't move"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I honestly don't think I can point to any of my deaths and say with any certainty that it was due to hacking.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Had a good run with the squad tonight, pushed my squad ranking up to 1,191 in the NA servers. :feelsgood:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
3 wins so far in Squad today

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Played a bunch today, pushed my squad rank all the way to 562. One of the things I'm starting to notice is that snipers are almost exclusively an early to early/mid game tool, at least in squad. Saw a bunch of dudes get murked because they were hiding behind a tree and possibly not getting the best support from their team late game, especially by teams that coordinated movement.

If I had my way I'll take an AKM or SCAR with a red dot and extended mag in the late game over any of the snipers, save possibly the SKS. People keep snipers in play way too long, especially the Kar98. That thing is a death sentence in the last few circles.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
The 4x is useful for sure, but I feel like it limits my peripheral vision too much.

Also, has anyone else got the 15x yet? We picked one up yesterday and our sniper player was laughing his rear end off tagging guys over 600m away.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

VulgarandStupid posted:

Its tough to use, mostly because of the rendering issues with the game. You should probably give it to whoever has the best computer.

Luckily all the guys I play with run beastly rigs.

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's the lag that's slowing down the rate that the crate falls, as crates are supposed to land inside the next circle.

There's also the whole "crate is dropping on a tree/building and shifts over a millimeter at a time" thing that prolongs a crates descent.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You basically just need to put the game on a SSD and have 16+ GB of ram. I only have 8 cause my CPU fan is too big to put more in and I'm lazy and don't want to remove it and re-seat the fan. I live with the kinda lag 8 GB gives me but a SSD made an absolute 100% performance boost. Went from loading some spots after a minute or two to always having full quality buildings, with some minor lag at times.

Yeah I have mine on an SSD and I have 32GB of RAM so I have zero issues running the game. Still run everything on the lowest besides view distance just for the performance, though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Eh, I just sell them on the Steam marketplace, already got like $5 back from the $30 I spent.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

This game in real life, basically

kinda nws I suppose I don't think it's too graphic though

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Knifegrab posted:

I hope the devs don't abandon ship once they've made a buck like most titles in this genre. This game is actually weirdly fun and good despite being more or less the same offering we've been getting since h1z1.

Also how much damage do headshots do in this game?

Luckily even if the devs do gently caress off, and I don't think they will, this game is already worth the $30 I paid for it.

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks, I see body shot damage values. I know I can find police vests, does that protect my whole body or just my chest?

Just your chest. Also, Lvl 1 and 2 helmets don't protect your face, while Lvl 3 helmets do.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I had the exact same thoughts as DrDisrespectLive. This game could theoretically be good but rewards the biggest pussies and hiders in the match. You can win a match with 0 kills, that's not great design. The only way to play this game is man-mode. If you get less than 5 kills in a round, you lose.

Looks like someone is salty they can't run and gun to success

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I'd also argue that winning with 0 kills is as hard as getting 5 kills or more in a match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

XyrlocShammypants posted:

There are many times where Sacriel, Summit, and others win with 0, 1, 2 or 3 kills only. Many with 0, 1 and 2

Winning strats include "flying really far away so you land alone" and "taking a car to a far away city to loot" and "being on the non-populated side of the circle so you don't have to fight"

So what's your point? No one is stopping you from landing in the military base with all the other lunatics and having the deathmatch of your dreams.

• Locked thread