Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

succ posted:

I feel like loot crates are always worth going for early. I get so many kills with the M24 or AWM snipers, and it almost guarantees a win if you make top 10 with them.

I had my first solo win last night after looting a care package dropped on the literal eastern edge of the map in the ocean.

Of course it contained an m249 which I never fired once.

8x m16s are real good sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Definitely what I enjoy about it, yeah. Even if your twitch FPS skills are garbage, you can still do well and even get a bunch of kills just through better planning and positioning. Like I feel like any time I'm just in a straight shootout with other players I've hosed up and am playing the game wrong.

And at the same time, you can have a completely goofy gently caress-around game just by jumping with as many people as possible and hoping you can find a shotgun or uzi before that guy you just saw sprint around the corner.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 31, 2017

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Just play more battlegrounds and learn to use cover and ambush people instead. Doing well in this game IMO is way less about your twitch shooting skills and way more about picking good fights, situational awareness and positioning.

When you actually need to shoot at someone, it should ideally be while they're distracted engaging someone else, looting, looking at their map, etc.

Getting to that point for me is taking a lot of deaths where at first I feel like "oh man if I only had the fps reflexes to 180 headshot that guy" but really if I had just thought to maybe move into the circle using a ridge for cover or something I never would have been spotted first in the first place.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 1, 2017

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Like I get some serious Edge of Tomorrow vibes from this game. Last game I was stuck on the far side of the next circle. I know if I try to run in, best I can hope for is to barely make the near edge, which is in open fields. I find a car instead and drive like a maniac over to the far side, which is up in a hilly forested area.

Driving up I'm feeling super smart, I see a bunch of guys as I drive past who definitely would have killed me if I was on foot booking it into the close side.

Then I get up to the other end as the blue circle closes in, think "aw yeah I made it!" and just jump out. Then immediately realize I'm dead because I thoughtlessly picked a spot to stop like 100 meters from the closest good cover, and yep, get picked off as I'm hoping nobody was around to notice.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm sorry but pedantic is "lol if you get hit in the head with a 7.62 bullet in real life you would also die" when my comment was, getting shot once and dying is stupid gameplay. Even noted bad game rainbow six siege is easier to figure out where you're being shot from

on the plus side some retard paid almost $4 for a puffy red jacket

I found the section of the recent update post about the sound mechanics pretty helpful. Like I was definitely getting disoriented by the bullet crack sounds and spinning around like a moron till I read it.

Of course there's still always assholes who find suppressors to deal with :shrug:

I just find the sound propagation mechanics/modelling pretty neat in general though.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

You do hear the actual gunshot, too, that's just the mechanic for the actual bullet crack/whiz effect.

Devs posted:

Gunshot Sound

Each gunshot sound you hear in game has propagation delay based on distance between source and the listener
The propagation velocity is 340m/s so if a pistol is shot 340m away from the listener, he will see the muzzle flash first and hear the gunshot after 1 second
If gunshot is fired from indoor or there is no direct or approximate line of sight (obstructed), the reverb effect and LPF are applied to the sound effect

Bullet Crack/Whizz Effect

Bullet crack effect (or bullet bow shockwave) is generated when a supersonic projectile passes in close proximity to the listener. The effect can be heard in a closest point on bullet trajectory line.
Basically, the sound source is always perpendicular to the trajectory line, so if you hear a bullet crack just in your left headphone, you know that the shooter is either directly in front of you, or behind you

Most of our weapons are supersonic. This means that you will hear the crack/whizz before you hear the actual gunshot
In a scenario where you see a shooter 1000m away, using AWM (>900m/s muzzle velocity) the events will occur in such order:

1. You see the muzzle flash

2. After ~1 sec you hear the crack/whizz (assuming no air drag)

3. After ~3 sec you hear the gunshot

Bullets passing close to the player will generate a crack sound, the ones passing further away will only generate whizz effect
We blend between different sound samples based on distance (the maximum distance and attenuation characteristic is also affected by suppressor attachment). The close gunshot sounds louder and more clear than the distant one

In the current public build, all bullets generate a sound crack effect. We've changed this mechanic by adding a velocity check, so bullets travelling slower than speed of sound will not generate the crack effect but just whizz.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I'm being haunted by a malevolent Battlegrounds spirit. He lives in uncleared corners and stairwells and carries an S686. He takes away the bad little boys and girls who don't treat every goddamn building like there's someone else in it.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

loving love that voice chat is still active for a few seconds after you die, every time I kill some salty motherfucker and their vengeful ghost calls me a pussy human being I just cackle with glee.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyone ever been hit by the red zone bombs? I've never even seen someone else hit, does it insta-kill? How much of the area do those explosions cover anyway? I feel like it's gotta be like .1% - 1% chance to be hit.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

drat, guess I'll stop treating them like just an excuse to stop worrying about how much noise I'm making for 20 seconds.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Seems to happen from time to time, I think it just means that server's crashed, or you've lost connection to it. After several minutes of that I usually get kicked out to the menu with a "lost connection to host" message. It's fun when you're in a car and that happens, you can drive like a lunatic- seems like most of the driving physics are client side, but the collisions and damage are server side so you vent your frustration careening around into stuff and making sick jumps until you get kicked out. Can't leave the car though.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

busb posted:

updated my graphics driver last night, then loaded up the game and dropped onto the roof of the school.

Only the school didn't render in time, so what happened is i just dropped through what would have been the roof and 3 storeys and hit the ground, but i could see like 80% of the loot inside the building, even though the structure itself hadn't rendered. Took about 2 minutes for the game to pop me into the ground level and create the walls.

how's the 2x scope? i was getting pretty comfortable with my endgame loadout being AR with reddot and secondary rifle/AR with 4x/8x.

will the 2x just straight up replace the reddot for lategame firefights?

I would definitely pick up the 2x over a red dot now- except that on the test server last night at least, there was no mouse sensitivity slider for the 2x zoom, so sensitivity with it in ADS is as high as your 3rd person sensitivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I've shifted from the "drive to the furthest military loot from the plane's path and don't leave until my bags are full" strat to just scrounging in smaller compounds.

It's been a lot more fun for me, both because I actually get to use something besides an m16, and I actually get some action in the early game. I know it's been posted a hundred times already but drat the shotguns feel great.

Also, my flying head punch technique is undefeated vs. desperate scramble to find and load a gun. Jump punch headshots rule.

• Locked thread