Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Bardeh posted:

I'm just getting around to patching - why is it 4.2 gigs for some new servers and very minor changes?

Word on reddit is that they split some of the assets in to smaller pak files so that future updates would be smaller. Not sure on the accuracy of this claim.

I picked this up last night to play with some coworkers. I haven't played any of these last man standing survival games before so everything is new to me.

Even with only a couple games under my belt I can certainly see the appeal. My best moment so far was in a solo game where I heard a dude pull up in a car to the building I was in and then I beat him to the front door with a shotgun. Managed to sneak around a bit and get a top 10 finish (just with that one kill) but it was pretty fun!

Still very much getting the hang of the inventory/item system. I'm still having difficulty picking out all the items when looting a building - the weapons stick out like crazy but some of the smaller attachments and whatnot are hard to see at times. I definitely feel like I'm losing a lot of time fighting the UI. More experience will probably fix this.

Fun game. Excited to get home and play a few more rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Ok, rifle chat time. I still don't have a super great feel for what rifle I want to be carrying.

For the 5.56 rifles things get weird with the attachments. Without any, the M16 feels the best. But it doesn't have a Grip attachment slot, so if I've got a vertical grip am I better off with a SCAR or M4? Then the M4 also gets the stock which none of the other rifles have an option for which complicates things again.

The AK seems to be stronger at short-mid range but weaker at mid-long range because of the extra recoil. I do like having one on full auto for my house sweeper, though.

Mostly my questions come after I kill a dude and I'm looting him. I kill someone with an M16, but I'm carrying a vertical grip and he had a SCAR. Do I switch? Stick with the gun that's already got a notch on it? I usually just stand on the loot crate going "hmmmm" until I either die or have to move on.

The answer might just be that the rifles are pretty balanced and this is splitting hairs. After ~200 combined rounds of solo and duo I don't have a solid answer so I might just be overthinking it. And maybe it doubly doesn't matter if the patch notes are just going to read "adjusted damage for rifles" with no concrete feedback on what the changes are.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

TracerBullet posted:

The last few rounds (since the last patch) I've had a weird bug for the first ~2-3 minutes where all the buildings appear almost melted and low-rez and I can't open any doors. This happen for anyone else?

I had this happen and a couple others have reported it. It went away when I moved the game from my HDD to my SDD. I think a couple people reported similar results. Might not be an option for you if you're on a laptop, though?

Got another squad win last night. My squad and I thought we were safe on a hill with no one behind us near the end with ~12 left, turns out that wasn't the case. Guy with a VSS started popping shots and downed both my teammates. I knew they were goners so I charged to where I thought the shots were coming from (it was the gas station around E1:K3 I think). Got the sniper, then managed to kill both his buddies as well! They were getting squezed out and the circle hurts real bad by then. I think that was my first solo most-of-a-squad wipe in one move. Got a pretty favorable circle spawn and then was able to clutch it with a handful of frags scaring the last dude out of his hiding spot. Game is good.

I made basically the whole run with Vector / M4. The Vector is still a loving beast, fully kitted out with extended mag, compensator and vertical grip that poo poo is not a problem. Managed to pull enough .45 that I was able to use it a bunch and not have to worry about a dwindling ammo supply. The M4 I still didn't love at range with a 4x. Even with a grip and stock (does the stock actually do anything? I feel like I've read multiple times that it's bugged/not functioning but reliable info on this game from community sources is... yeah) I felt like it was jumping around way more than the SCAR. AK felt pretty good in the other games I used it, though, recoil felt a bit more manageable.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

The guy that I play duos with most often has an unhealthy obsession with finishing downed guys. It gets us in trouble sometimes, but there is value in finishing off someone who is DBNO. Even in the downed state you can watch an angle and give info to your teammate. There's been a bunch of times that I've been able to peek a corner for my partner and it's lead to us winning a fight. Couldn't do that if I was spectating.

I like the chicken dinner posting. What the gently caress else is this thread supposed to be for? Reading other people's experiences of where they landed, where they went and how the circle hosed/helped them is at least better than arguing over 1st/3rd person or whether or not a level 1 or 2 helmet covers your face.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Studio posted:

Berries and how there should be poisonous ones you can spike energy drinks with.

You're absolutely right. Can I use the poison berries to poison my bullets so I can poison people with berries AND lead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Got my first win of Season 2 last night. 10 kills! My first double digit win, I think my previous best was 7.

My loadout for most of the match was an SKS with an 8x and a suppressed UMP. The SKS feels really good with the compensator on it. Without it, maybe not so much - that thing kicks like a mule.

The real MVP was the UMP, though. I think people sleep on this thing, especially at mid range. It struggles a bit against the level 3 vest, you've got to pour a bunch of bullets in to someone but the fire rate is good and the recoil is very low. The silencer is obviously the real star. I debated replacing the suppressed UMP with a SCAR + compensator but I'm glad I stuck with the silenced option.

The later circles were centered on a group of about 5 houses. I just stayed prone in a field and let the idiots duke it out from like ~15 alive down to 5 alive. Got a couple pretty generous circles and then clinched it shooting at a dude in the blue. Felt real good, this game is a Good Game.

• Locked thread