Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Tunnel car is the best PUBG thing I've ever seen.

Got my first chicken dinner in the first game of the evening. Got an 8x in the first 30 seconds after landing on top of some apartments. killed a guy and got l3 stuff and then killed a guy at a supply drop for the m24 and a ghillie suit. proceded to not use the m24 and just shot everyone with an akm. Only had about 50 bullets the entire round and only fired about 20 bullets total. Shot next to last guy down, last guy shot at me, flashed me, then ran to hide behind another tree? so I just waited out flash and shot him to death.

Holy poo poo this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I imagine the guy shooting at you is now angrily writing a post on official forums about lovely hit detection.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
IDK what clicked, but for the last couple days pretty much any solo game where I don't die before finding a gun goes until the top 15 and usually ends with 2-6 kills consistently. Had a bunch of top 5 finishes, too. UMP and a sniper rifle is basically the god combo of gear.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Played in a solo game with MrGrimmms today, that was ridiculous. I got shot in the back by someone else, so I didn't have a chance to get shot by him, but he was in the killfeed every minute or so.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
If you mash burstfire it's faster than most auto guns (maybe all of them?). m16a4 is pretty strong in the early game for that, though you're going to dump almost a full mag any time you run into someone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
M16 is basically a 30 round sks standin if you find an 8x but no sniper rifle.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Another second place game. Made probably the biggest mistake of my PUBG career: dropped my fully kitted out m416 when picking up an m24 at a crate while being shot at... so I ran around with an sks and an m24 with a 4x, which got me to #2. Got killed by someone with a suppressed UMP, big surprise.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PantsBandit posted:

I feel like I need to turn down sound effects or something because whenever someone gets the drop on me and starts firing I freak the gently caress out and end up hitting Z or something dumb and dying when I could just run for cover.

Alternatively I could just stop being such a scaredy cat but that seems unlikely.

Just give it time. Dropping into places where you're definitely going to have to fight people is the best way to get over it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Had a bunch of fun af squad games with goons from discord on the Asian servers. Final game I was on an 8 kill murder spree marathon run across most of the map. Our group was taking out a couple squads per game consistently, that was super fun.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
2 chicken dinners 1 day. Feels good.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I love that thudding sniper rifle sound in the distance. I just bee-line to it so I can kill them and take their gun. There are not a lot of people who can hit you if you're zigzagging and mashing crouch.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zero Gravitas posted:

God bless frying pans and the SPANG noise they make when saving your arse cheeks from taking a bullet

Someone tried to finish me yesterday while I was knocked out and dumped half their mag into my frying pan. They still finished me, but the pan bought me another (futile) second or two.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Personally I'm actually of the opinion that there's something a little off in the sound engine but just for the purpose of :science::science::science: not being able to figure out if a sound comes from your front or from your rear is a lovely feature of the human anatomy, it's called 'rear-front ambiguity' and is largely caused by the fact that there's no intra-aural difference when sounds arrives from the rear or from the front (as opposed to when it comes from one of the sides where it will sound very different in the opposite ear).

You resolve this ambiguity in the game the same way you do in real life, which is as others said: by moving your head around. (most animals that rely heavily on their hearing have the ability to individually control their pinnas, which probably helps a lot).

I feel like the sound engine walks a decent line between giving you a reasonably accurate idea where people are without being too good either. I'd say it is borderline too easy to pinpoint people off of sound alone. Close to midrange is more about hearing people and pre-aiming than anything visual.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 25, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The lines on the 8x are pretty much pointless (due to render distance limitations). The 4x has actually useable reference points though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Unpopular opinion: games you win aren't actually the most fun. I definitely have the most fun playing very aggressive games that almost always end badly with me engaging multiple people with just an uzi. 25% of the time you murder 4 people with an uzi though and it is all worth it. Then you get shot in the head by some loser with a kar98 when you go to loot them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
PUBG is basically an mmorpg where you know in advance what loot the mobs are going to drop.

Brinner posted:

Do we have concrete proof of an ELO system or is this :goonsay:

Or are you just referring to leader boards

As you play you'll notice the people in your lobbies become progressively more elaborately dressed. Your first game it's 90% guys in plain pants and a white shirt or whatever the default outfit is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Won 4 out of 5 games in a row today. 2 duos, 3 squads. Get on discord, play with us.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fighting in wheat fields is a skill you have to develop. It just seems insane and random at first.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I had 8 or 9 chicken dinners yesterday. What is this game, what is happening.

E: Trying to guess the final circle is a winning strategy. The final crates will also be dropped right on your head so you'll usually end up super kitted out.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 2, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Even if you haven't seen or heard a guy yet, you should be developing a sense of where people will be. That's the game sense people talk about and there's a meaningful amount of intuition and experience involved, but there's a lot of routine stuff you should be doing too. In order, roughly: Remember the orientation of the plane because people will mostly be scattered along the flight path. When you jump, pan around and see how many are around you and going to a similar place. Try to get a look at where they are landing relative to your landing site. Remember it, grab an uzi or a shotgun and go shoot them in the face.

Minutes 5-10 of the game can be a bit more random because people are spreading out more on cars and on foot. Once you're moving, always be considering where would be the best place to ambush yourself from. When you have to cross an open field or a street, always stop and take a moment to third person check the area, think about where you'd be totally hosed if someone attacked you from and that's usually where people are waiting for you. Pause at cover, and always be running to cover. Know where the closest cover is. I know player movement seems really random at first, but it really isn't. Eventually the circles will flush players into you at very predictable times.

Towards the final circles it's actually easier to know where people are because the area is so small. Spotting them might be hard, but if you're in a 300m circle and there are 2 little valleys and 2 trees and 2 rocks, and 5 people alive, you know with about 80% certainty where they'll be, even if you haven't seen or heard them.

There's other stuff, but that's enough to get going with. We've got people here more knowledgeable than me who can probably give better advice, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hi so I've got 25 or so wins on this here game and no it doesn't favor hiding as a strategy. In your first 15 or 25 games when it is still matching you with people who are effectively deaf dumb and blind yeah hiding is probably powerful. Later, it favors staying silent to ambush people for periods of time, and sometimes you should hole up in a building from 40 alive until 15 alive (or until circle forces you out) but if your strategy is to hide your way to wins, your odds of winning will be garbage. Especially once your matchmaking rank gets high enough that you're in games with people who actually know how to throw grenades and can pinpoint where your loud rear end is in a building.

Seriously, do you understand how effective grenades are? Stun grenades blind people for 7 seconds. The kill radius on frag grenades is pretty generous and they take like 5 minutes of practice to master throwing. Smokes are also 100% something you should be picking up and make dealing with campers a breeze.

I'm biased because one of my favorite things in this game is killing people hiding in buildings. PUBG gives you a lot of tools to murder the gently caress out of them. Just frag or stun them, then run in with an uzi or shotgun then loot their suppressors and 8xs and health kits.

E: also turn foliage and draw distance both to very low and shoot all the idiots who think grass conceals them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pretty much every shooter game people play at all competitively people turn the graphics way down on.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol don't loot late game. You don't even want to know how many times I've spectated a squad mate who is newish to the game deciding to go for a leisurely loot with 15 left and getting shot in the head. You can win with any gun and honestly you're not going to use more than 1 or 2 first aid kits end of game anyways. Seriously, not looting people once there's under about 20 people left is one of the biggest things you can do to win more.

If someone died they're p much by definition not in a safe spot. Exposing yourself to unsafe spots for seconds longer than you have to is why you get killed.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 7, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
3 guys standing motionless on a body in a street with no cover for 45 seconds. Gotta loot that sweet AR compensator and go from 300 to 400 rounds of .556 when I've never fired more than 100 rounds in a game.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is just bad players being bad. You can win with any setup but if you're fully boosted for the entire end of the game or if you can snag a zoom scope or suppressor easily that you didn't have before you're going to have a better chance. Again, you should be able to pick up meds without having to drop anything or changing your momentum much at all. I'm not telling you to spend 15 seconds without cover at the body like a scrub. I'm saying keep moving past the body while heading to cover.

This is like telling people to not drop in high value loot locations because they might get killed lol

You should have all this stuff from the fights you took in midgame.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 7, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
First aid kit, ak/m16 with red dot, vest/helmet, smoke grenade, frag grenade, boost and I'm set. UZI for cqb. When I've got slightly less gear, I am a lot smarter about what fights I take on. Then if you hear a guy with a SR or suppressed AR, go hunt him down and take it from him.

HPonice: I think we're mostly saying the same thing at this point

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pretty much everyone on the goon discord (maybe with a couple of exceptions?) is willing to play with people of any skill level. Worst case scenario you loot pinata when you get killed. Best case you revive some dudes and get a clutch kill or two. The squad learning curve is crazy, but in 10-20 games you'll be contributing to squads consistently.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
37 kills?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah please give cars predictable animations so I can even more reliably kill anyone who even thinks about getting into vehicles. Vehicles are already deathtraps.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't see anything wrong with expanding the airdrop functionality but with different aesthetics and some gimmicks, like a dynamic helicopter\plane crash, maybe an armored AI controlled vehicle that spawns at some point and is pretty hard to take out but if you do you get an armored car + some premium loot, etc. Same end results, different tactics and player dynamics.

A humvee with a mounted turret might be pretty fun in squad games.

I mean I'd love for this game to include technicals and humvees, but you'd pretty much also have to include IEDs (and maybe even svbieds tbh) and there are about a million reasons why that's not going to happen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Black Griffon posted:

I want idiot freedom. Let me put a 15x on a shottie if I want to.

you can put 15x on s12k

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have found 2 4x scopes in the building a guy complaining about finding no optics this entire game had just checked.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tonetta posted:

*3 guys invading my building*

"people outside my house need backup"

"hell yeah just found a camel coat"

real goon conversation

I would let my whole team die for a pair of blue hi-tops

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
90% of the time I've seen anyone try to use a molotov they just end up lighting themselves on fire.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'll play with anyone and have gotten probably 1/3 of my chicken dinners with literally the very worst goons <3... but there are two kinds of squads: people putting in the effort to win and haha lets gently caress around and have fun and stand out in the open having a loot party hahaha so funny who cares if we lose squads.

Play however you want, but if you join a squad with 3 people who are known serious players, expect to play serious PUBG.

In my hundreds of games with goons, people with poo poo KDRs generally don't call out contacts, don't use cover, will shoot at literally anything that moves (especially people that they have zero chance of finishing off), and generally will get angry if you point any of these things out to them. People who don't do that usually end up with good stats quickly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Some helpful advice for new squad players:

When you see enemies say "Contact! Direction (eg 345) by the wizard tower, first floor." Don't shoot until other people in your squad have seen them, if they're 500 meters away and you've got an AK, don't even bother shooting.

Positioning: don't be in the open ever. Don't stop to loot in the open. If you're in the open, always move towards some cover, rocks or the widest trees or even little ridges. If you killed a guy and there are still enemies around, don't leave cover to loot him. Don't do loot handoffs in the open ever, do that poo poo inside of a building if you have to.

Speaking of positioning, once your team is in a good position, don't peek. Use 3rd person so you're invisible. If you guys are in a house ready to ambush some dudes, don't move and make a ton of noise. Don't peek windows, etc. Footsteps can be heard 40 feet out, which is like 2 houses over.

When your squad is getting ready to drive somewhere, don't be the last one to a vehicle. People joke about loot goblining, but don't be a loot goblin. Get what you need rifle, minimal optics, some ammo, health stuffs and you're good to go. Don't tunnel vision on how the next house might have an AR suppressor.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Also goon discord is v not homophobic and generally not racist at all, which is v refreshing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
We have a bunch of really good PUBG players btw and if you do want to play in any of the ~serious business~ squads just ask when they're looking for 1 more and say you're willing to learn and I doubt anyone is going to not let you in. Like legit you'll learn a lot from a few games of seeing how serious people play if you're kinda new to this genre.

Also if you go from low tier mmr to high tier, you are going to get murdered a fuckton if you're out of position (i.e. not near cover p much 24/7 or constantly sticking your head out for no reason).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
This game owes more of its popularity to streamers than any other game I can think of. Obviously it's a fun game that's ludicrously addictive in its own right, but it took the #3 spot on twitch really quickly and I'm p sure there's been almost zero conventional marketing budget for it otherwise.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Fried Watermelon posted:

So far I've only met three goons that I'll never play with again and they are all bottom of the barrel players. Always calling people out for stats in chat, bitching about how we are giving too much useless information in voice chat, actively insulting people when they gently caress up, and to top it off getting no kills and crawling on the edge of the circle while the rest of us are in a fire fight.

dont doxx me bro

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There aren't really any milspergs on goon discord. Like I don't think anyone is pretending they're an elite operator. I think most of the better players are too busy drinking to pretend they're in the military. Same with the bad players.

Being a useful team mate literally is just saying 'contact: number of enemies + direction + 1 or 2 details' and not constantly giving away your squads position or running out of cover.

Plenty of pochinkispergs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Even if you have a ~really bad~ team mate, just play like 40 meters off of them and let them be bait when they inevitably draw fire over and over.

• Locked thread