Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

zapplez posted:

Where is there a discord/ steam group for playing this with goons?

literally the second line of the op wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I rebound these:
X: change fire mode
B: holster weapon
T: auto run
M4: PTT for discord
M5: PTT for game
`(back tick): map
Scroll wheel: zeroing

I'm not much better for it but everything feels more natural and in reach. gently caress reaching my thumb to M.

I like some people's idea to put lean on mouse thumb, but I'm too used to talking with my clicking hand. Game chat on M5 is for the extra pubbie in squads and I rarely reach for it, but sometimes use it if they're talking or one of the few survivors.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

SnakesandScorpions posted:

I mean what exactly is the hold up? I know next to nothing about video game development, but is optimization like the last thing you do during development?

I don't mean to be glib, but basically yes. UI usability and optimizations tend to come last, unless they're critical to a planned feature, because you want to take on the full breadth of the requirements at one time. If you try to over-optimize along the way, you waste time and inevitably undo your work with the next seemingly simple widget you have to rush.

That being said, this is supposedly a beta and not an alpha, despite it missing a bunch of v1.0 features, which is the traditional time for "hardening", but...kids these days...

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 22, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

MagnumDopus confirmed goon that uses this forum to check facts, but otherwise denies being a goon and doesn't have out. BTW.

Did not accept his credit cards or proofs of employment if he's applying for a mortgage.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Efexeye posted:

nvidia's geforce experience updated to include pubg and while it's great getting 140 fps the vaseline effect makes it hard to aim

I'm sure it's been said before, and I initially hesitated to try it, but ReShade is pretty nice and doesn't seem to add hardware load.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Speaking of shotguns, an old arma bug seems to be in place where, if you have the 2-shot shotty, you can shoot the first shot, then reload, then quickly shoot three bullets instead of two. Easy to try on the gun island in loading.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Taffer posted:

I think the stats are broken. I played 5 duos last night and go 1-5 kills in all of them, and the tracker says I only played 4 and only got 1 kill combined

Same. Got two kills one game and it didn't give me credit for either. Can't tell if it uses different criteria for kill credit than the game. Also, with all games being unranked for a bit, I think the stats weren't getting updated on the trackers.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

wtf is the point of rendering everyone's teeth

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

poo poo nm im dumb

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I can hear the conversation. "I found these public mouth assets that are easy to put in..." "well yeah, obviously, get em in there"

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Casual reminder that chocotaco is a fellow goon, the goodest streamer, and you're physically harming him every time you watch someone else if he's on. Thanks -mgmt

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Is choco taco a goon, or someone that bought an account to market to us?

SILENCE!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Actually after reading Lowtax's recent announcement about 8% expected revenue this summer,

welcome you beautiful shilling bastard

shoot on

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

LOL that power options change actually fixed the lag issue i've been bitching about (at least for the match i just played). what the gently caress.

This usually means you have a psu not rated to support a full load from your graphics card, so it didn't sound that surprising to me, but if you have plenty of juice it is real strange. Power shortages are notorious for having ambiguous symptoms of it doesn't just force a component to drop entirely.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Chard posted:

This is a new one on me. Anyone else seen two crates at once before?:

I was under the impression there are always two crates, but I previously believed some sort of spread was happening

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

AEMINAL posted:

where does that save??

edit:

:q:

Steam community page, click view screenshots from the overlay and publish to friends or save to desktop from inside the steam storage. It's a bit cumbersome and doesn't easily link outside of steam, but it'll do in a pinch.

Also use the windows Snipping Tool

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It makes your os load faster after the Trojan/memory leaks/bad ram/power source failures force you to restart. Took mine down to 10s instead of 5 min every half hour.

It also makes your dick harder longer (but not too long)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The problem with conditional or pseudo randomness, where you ensure a significant subset of a possibility space shows up in a sample, is a) you limit the potentially interesting extreme outcomes of true randomness, and b) by altering the selection space, it requires more computing power to determine each selection. Being able to decide each loot location's contents without knowing about others in proximity goes a long way to spawning the models before the round ends.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Also all I've ever wanted to do is to cut the chute or drop the bag while diving or grab some fool's leg while we're falling and mess up his trajectory.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

While what you say is obviously true about true randomness, the "pseudo" distinction in video games usually refers to a probability described with a flat number but is actually a different value depending on recent outcomes.

The mechanic I always think of is the crit or bash chance in dota. You might have 17% average chance to bash over a large enough sampling, but the first attempts are lower than that and each failed attempt increases your chances. Doesn't eliminate the chance of getting sequential bashes or first hit bash, but reduces it significantly.

In pubg it would mean having loot regions that fill slots with chances for an item dependent on previous local rng outcomes for that item.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 21, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Everyone starts with a crossbow with a single bolt

And you can't loot other people's bolts so you only get one insta gib chance and if you want it for the end you have to lug around an xbow...or maybe it doesn't work after two minutes.

Last thing about forcing a kar and a scope to spawn in pochinki turns it into a treasure hunt for the lot goblins and you'll never leave till you find it. It's unnecessary information that you're guaranteed any sort of loot except bullets for the guns that drop and way too many baseball hats.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

I hate melee, and its even harder & more disorienting in first person, but sometimes its funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjhYDVKRsdo

Fun like ipecac.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Shouldn't this be applied to a much bigger picture, aka life?

Pretty sure that was the point of the post. Trading off a more cohesive society for salt and tears in fleeting virtual experiences.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Neukoln19 posted:

Dont be dense--real life guns--tons of gun add ons and poo poo

Put it together man

This the first game you've seen models of real guns and mods in, friend?

He want being dense, he was mocking you for saying a game with guns appeals to people who like guns.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

the gun nuts are all out there getting horny for the guns in this game, they're doing stuff you wouldnt believe, due to the guns and the attchments

Nice post/avatar combo.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

Vest, helmet, and a non-shotgun primary with enough bullets to hose down at least 1 dude, and you're all set. Kill somebody else to get looted.

God gave you lethal hands for a reason. Even this can be too much to wait for in school, and shotty is just fine to find you your first body.

To the other part of your question, you can leave if you think you can get away or you don't feel like assaulting an entrenched dude who's got you pegged, but most people would suggest clearing the vicinity before you expose yourself trying to move out.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 4, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Who's a guy got to suck off to be able to swap the weapon slots with the paper doll?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I don't like FPP.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

dvorak posted:

How do we get this guy in the discord?

Gramps is amazing and has some pretty great clips. I love his shittalk. Someone should totally reach out to him.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Don't forget to hold right-click if you're ever hip firing, learn the parachute quick drop maneuver, bind zeroing to ctrl+mousewheel (I like map on tilde, firingmode on X), and if you're going to school there are some nifty window tricks you can pull on both floors.

WackyJacky taught me the 1:100 rule which is pretty sweet. With most guns you can lead a sprinting target one body-width for every 100m for good shots. AKM needs like 1.25 bodies once you get farther out, but the vss is more like 3:100.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 22, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I thought this was pretty impressive. Lots of live-action pubg videos goin out, but this one was well produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dG6HliC9OI

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

I want to know how someone can play like that, like, on a fundamental level I don't understand it and I want to understand it. I keep my mouse at 3200 DPI and that's where it feels comfortable in both Windows and games.

You have to pick your mouse up more, which bothers people that don't play fpses or have heavy mouses, but you're trying to maximize your ability to quickly get to a small target zone. Dota's camera drag doesn't require you to pick your mouse up, which I think is genius and isn't in hots or lol for whatever reason. You have to be more precise with the higher sensitivity. Imagine shooting at a head that's 5 pixels wide and every centimeter you move the mouse is twice that. This is why you either miss or take too long to line up your shots with high dpi.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 26, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah but don't you remember the horrible early access experience?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

"You're laughing at the wrong things, idiot." You probably think Frasier's funny.

This forum is built upon the carcasses of dead and bad jokes. Let's all just agree to let people do dumb things on camera for other dumb people to watch and be happy for them for finding a way to enjoy themselves in this short, cruel, and brutish life.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 6, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I think I wouldnt be upset if the undergeared part of the game lasted longer, but the first guy to find an AR in a sea of pistols wins so the ARs have to be somewhat plentiful. Doesn't make sense to try to do that sorta thing in a more open map either.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Le0 posted:

This game absolutely needs bicycles, very slow, no noise. Would be so awesome.

Also, this, but with bell horn.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

John DiFool posted:

Awaiting chacotacos horrible character flaw reveal on stream shortly.

All our dreams will be crushed, all our heroes toppled.

He's got a YouTube channel he's been posting highlights to, by the by, and they're pretty great.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

During skydiving, right before you hit the ground in your parachute, airspeed always slows to an excruciatingly slow rate. Is this just how the game works or is there anything that can be done to speed things up here?

Yeah this is to keep your legs from breaking. You have to do the same thing with a real chute. Everyone has to do it, so it's at least a shared experience.

I've had friends say they'd like the chance to dive straight into the ground or land harder and take falling damage, but it would suck if every game started with fewer people.

Kind of like how people who don't jump should just be carried off by the plane. Maybe their bodies packed into one of the crates. Would be alright if folks who didn't jump just fell to their death and got no points.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Check out WhackyJackie's YouTube channel. He did a lot of empirical work to figure that stuff out. Needless to say, everything could change every patch, but he's usually good about posting updates when they come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

lohli posted:

The only time you're going to be in awe at comically slow projectiles is when trying to hit players at the edge of the render distance with a VSS.

It's super slow, but it's because it's supposed to be a subsonic speed, which is around 343m/s according to wikipedia

• Locked thread