Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought this because it looks like the least janky of these types of games, and it's a lot of fun so far. If anyone plays on the Asia servers, add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bardeh

I could use a duos partner that isn't Chinese or a racist Australian. (Australians are cool, just not the ones I seem to encounter in this game that spew racism over the mic from the moment the game starts.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

OldMold posted:

Gameplay videos look pretty cool - it seems like there's an FPS mode that nobody uses? If there is an FPS mode, are there servers (or is there a server setting) that lock your view into FPS?

Not yet, but I think it's a planned feature down the line. It's a real disadvantage to use it right now because it restricts your vision quite severely compared to playing in 3rd person.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The twitch viewer numbers and concurrent players on Steam are very impressive for an early access title. I wonder if the devs expected such a big response - there's definitely been some server instability, especially at the start of games.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Plus the noise, holy poo poo I have to turn my volume down until the game starts. (and then in the plane I get to hear FACK YOUU or KOREA IS DOG or CHINA NUMBA ONE every. Single. Game.)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's what the high ranked streamers seem to be doing. Grab a car, race somewhere they know is densely packed with loot, and then stay ahead of the circle and pick people off as they come in.

Positioning is so key in this game - if you're stuck on foot and racing towards the circle, it's so easy to get picked off by those who were lucky enough to already be in it or who have vehicles and can easily choose their moment to go.

I do wish the final few circles were a bit slower though - there are so many times where I'm basically pinned behind a tree and have to choose between certain death from a sniper if I move or certain death from the force field if I don't. Just an extra minute or so on the last few circles would be good, to allow a bit more time for proper firefights.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I try and jump out somewhere in the middle and then fly off to the side a bit to the nearest decent sized grouping of buildings that's far enough away from the plane's flight path that other players won't go there. I haven't been having much luck with this recently though, as it seems more and more players are having the same idea.

The best strategy is probably to learn where some guaranteed or likely vehicle spawns are and drop on them, then drive to somewhere decent.

It's always a big risk to wait until the end of the flight path - yes, you'll very likely have no competition for loot, but if you can't find a vehicle you're probably going to spend most of the game sprinting across open fields desperately trying to keep up with the circle, and the best gear in the game isn't going to help you when you're completely exposed in the middle of a field with people shooting at you from god-knows-where.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
For anyone looking for a performance boost, try these launch options in Steam if you haven't already -

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -malloc=system -sm4

With everything set to Very Low, I can get a decent framerate even in the big towns on my laptop with an i5 6300Q and 960M using these settings. When I get back to my desktop, it should mean that I can get a constant 60 at 1080p, too.

It looks like poo poo, of course, but until they get some optimisation done I'm happy to play like this.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 27, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

So games dont last longer than 40 minutes (which is good in my book because life happens occasionally), and this game seems enjoyable playing alone since there's only one winner each round?

Are there any huge annoyances I should know about before I pull the trigger? If the devs straight up abandoned the game (which I have to assume with early access), is there still enough meat on the bone for fun?

The game is very playable in its current state. There are some bugs and small annoyances, but nothing gamebreaking and the core gameplay is all there and it's very fun. If the game has really only been in development for 9 months or however long someone said earlier in the thread, then they've done great work and it bodes very well for future development.

You can choose to queue solo, in which case everyone in the game is a solo player, as a duo, or as a team of 4. Each is a separate gamemode, so you're never coming up against teams of players if you queue solo.

I can't see them abandoning the game - the launch has been pretty hugely successful, it's doing massive numbers on Twitch, and they've already outlined in detail their roadmap for the coming months. However, even if the dev team all died in a horrible accident or something, I would say that what's there now is already pretty much a complete game and you can easily get $30 worth of fun out of it.

E: I can't remember the last time I saw a game so handily beat League in viewer numbers. Granted 50k(!) of those viewers are watching one streamer (Summit), but yeah, the game isn't going anywhere.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 27, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The tension when you're down to 10 players in a small area is really goddamn awesome. I've had a few top five finishes but haven't quite yet managed to seal the deal.

E: And yeah, if you're holed up in a building in the middle of a smaller circle, people are naturally going to gravitate towards it. If you close the door after you, they may be fooled into letting their guard down thinking that it's unlooted. Sit by the entrance and gun them down as they run in. :getin:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

Even if you kill the dude with a sicknasty 500m headshot, you've just let everyone know you exist. Unless you also have a suppressor, in which case you basically won the PUBG lottery because I don't think I've ever encountered a suppressor and a DMR/sniper in the same game. I always pick up the sniper stuff too, if only to keep it away from others. Seems like when I pick up an 8x and a can, no rifle will ever drop for me.

Suppressed M16 with a 4x just feels infinitely more useful to me.

Yeah suppressed M4 with 4x is basically what I'm aiming for every game. If I can't find one, an M16 or SCAR or AK will do. I'm always on the lookout for a Kar or SKS, but then I generally find that I never use them over the assault rifles on all but the longest ranges, where you probably don't want to take the shot anyway because chances are you'll miss and give way too much information away on your location.

Finding an early AR suppressor (and a gun to go with it of course) is a huge boost to your chances of winning.

E: Yes, they've said that first person only 'hardcore' servers are coming in the future.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

hm, this didn't seem to make a difference for me. certainly isn't unplayable but it's not silky smooth like it oughta be. I have it on high rather than ultra but I'm not sure it even makes a difference, seems about the same either way.

I would have foliage set to Very Low if nothing else, it'll help you spot people easier. The game doesn't run well for anyone really at the moment, but optimisation is apparently their top priority.

I do wish there were other AA options though. It's a jaggy mess without it on, but there's only the default AA option ingame and it's goddamn horrible - makes everything a blurry mess and gives me a headache.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only time you'll ever melee someone is right at the very start of the game, and that's when the servers are at their most laggy and the hit detection for melee is wonky at the best of times. I never even bother, even if I land right next to someone. It's just a race to see who finds the first gun. :clint:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo I finally won one. Man I haven't had adrenaline pumping like that in a game for a very long time.

E: I just tried to gift a copy of this to my brother, but stupidly didn't think about region restrictions, and now he can't send it back because the game is already in my library. If you want a copy, just post your email address here or PM it to me, and I'll have him send it to you. You have to be in one of these countries:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 27, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

Also summit wouldn't be so bad if he turned off all the notification noises, but then he wouldn't be banking it. Crazy to see that guy getting $5+ donation every minute.

The other day he was getting annoyed at the sheer amount of donations he was getting and upped notifications to $50...and people continued to spam him with them. Dude must have made tens of thousands in donations alone since this game entered early access, and he said the other day he has 20k subs too, which is what...$50-60k a month? Crazy money.

I have learned quite a bit from watching him and some of the other big streamers though, and the game does lend itself quite well to watching on stream IMO.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I watched DrDisrespect a bit last night, and his schtick is kinda take it or leave it (and wtf is with the wig), but I have to admit this did give me a little laugh.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedColdPorpoisePJSalt

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

yo my dudes how do i traverse giant swaths of no mans land without a vehicle or scoped weapon to defend against hill wookies? My last handful of deaths have involved me being picked off from afar by some invisible spirit.

Sometimes you get screwed by circle RNG and it's unavoidable, unfortunately. You can plan ahead though, and put yourself in a position that is likely to mean you get some cover when moving inwards, or try and be the guy on the hill instead of the guy running across the field. However, lots of areas in the game are flat and have no cover, and there are going to be times when you're stuck in one of them with little choice but to run across.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

Can a 940M handle this game (shittily)? My friend wants to play on his laptop.

I play it on a 960M with everything as low as it'll go, and it still gets very choppy in the bigger towns or even when I look at the bigger towns from a distance. Although, that still happens even on my desktop with a 1060, so :shrug: It really depends on your friend's tolerance for lower framerates. The game is apparently very reliant on CPU over GPU right now anyway, so it might be worth him giving it a shot. You get 2 hours to try it and get a refund anyway, so he doesn't really have anything to lose.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

They posted this today which might help with the sound issues people are having.

http://playbattlegrounds.com/news/65.pu

Gameplay

Adjusted movement speed of endgame play zones
Adjusted weapon sound volume in the lobby

Bug fixes

Fixed a bug with the volume of crouch walking

Nice. It says alot about the quality of this as an early access game that these are by far my biggest issues with the game so far, and they're fixing them already. Once those performance optimisations come in, along with mantling and maybe some vehicle handling tuning, IMO it'll be pretty much ready for a full release.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 29, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Viking_Helmet posted:

gently caress! I keep forgetting that trying to action roll out of a moving car just results in it merrily rolling you right the gently caress over.

I had such a baller start to a game the other day - M4, silencer, level 3 helmet and level 2 armor, level 3 backpack. Basically guaranteed a top 10 finish as long as I played carefully. I drove over a bridge and saw a dude, easiest shot in the world to make, slowed the car down but jumped out too early in my excitement and killed myself :downs:

That dude hit the fucken jackpot there looting my corpse.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm just getting around to patching - why is it 4.2 gigs for some new servers and very minor changes?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

MerrMan posted:

Still very much getting the hang of the inventory/item system. I'm still having difficulty picking out all the items when looting a building - the weapons stick out like crazy but some of the smaller attachments and whatnot are hard to see at times. I definitely feel like I'm losing a lot of time fighting the UI. More experience will probably fix this.

It comes with experience, but the easiest way to see at a glance what might be hiding under a vest or clipping through a rug or something is to just hit tab - on the left you'll see everything on the ground nearby and can grab what you want with right click. Much faster than trying to target it manually, especially with some of the smaller weapon attachments.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you're willing to take the risk and fight for it, it's probably the most efficient way to loot the most, the quickest. Let everyone clear the area out, then take their poo poo. I prefer somewhere quiet to take my time, but I can see the argument for living dangerously.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 31, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Man, you guys are really talking this game up. It wasn't on my radar, but man, sounds like fun.

It is! When the servers aren't broken, which seems to be a lot for me since the last big patch. They've released another smaller one an hour ago to hopefully fix that, but I can't connect at the moment to test it out.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been unable to connect for going on 16 hours now and their forum is no help at all, and from looking there it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. I load up the game, see the main screen with the AK and the pillars, and then nothing happens. I've let it sit for an hour or more while I went out, and when I came back there was no change. What's weird is that it was working fine before, and then suddenly just stopped working, and that if I use a VPN I can connect, but it takes a very long time and I have to repeat the process every single game because once a game finishes I encounter the exact same problem again when it tries to go back to the menu.

I guess it has something to do with their main auth/login servers, but I just wanna play some Battlegrounds and I don't know how to fix this. :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
That sounds like a very good strat for purely climbing the leaderboard, but it doesn't really sound like much fun.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

I get this too and the only solution I've found is to exit and relog. Repeatedly. Usually after 4 or 5 times it works.

I just tried 10 times in a row and no dice. I guess I'll keep doing this dumb VPN thing, but it means it takes 10 minutes each time to get into a game. :sigh: I have no idea what changed between when it was working fine and now.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

That insta-mystery death part is kinda what sells me on the game. Like, you already deal with the RNG gods with loot and circle placement, getting sniped from a poltergeist a mile away, to me anyway, is just another RNG result. Or maybe that's how I compartmentalize it to keep from raging, I dunno.

I fixed the weird connection error I was having by the way. I simply stopped using Google's DNS servers and now it works just fine. I don't really know what DNS servers have to do with connecting to a game, but it might be worth looking into if you are still having that same issue.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Is there a consensus about the graphic options and what settings gives you an advantage (if there is any)?
Specifically I'm wondering about draw distance. Atm I have it on Ultra but I'm wondering if that is even necessary if I just want to spot enemies.

I think foliage as low as it can go and View Distance as high as it can go (although I believe it defaults to the highest possible?) are the two important ones. PlayerUnknown has said that they're looking at changing things up so that lowering settings like Foliage won't give any extra advantage over higher settings, but I don't know how they're gonna do that short of just getting rid of all the foliage or having massively ugly sprites everywhere on lower settings.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hey this game looks like a blast!
Is it work $30 or is it broken trash?
Do I get to keep it forever and how long do we think it'll be until it gets polished up?

Yes you get to keep it forever (why wouldn't you?), yes it's fun, and yes it still needs work that the devs seem to be on top of. The two hour cutoff for a refund is enough for a few games to see if its for you.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

44 Top 10 and no wins on solo now. Just can seem to piece together the final few kills. I have no idea how people win with zero kills.

Get an early car, drive to the very center of the white circle and find an innocuous little building to camp in, get lucky with circle placement.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You guys weren't kidding about the 'hole down and wait' tactic, yesterday I parachuted slightly off the path of the plane, looted a town and noticed it was spot in the middle of the zone, decided to hole up in a tower, I basically just waited for a few minutes until the zone shrunk. All of a sudden the town comes to life, there were like 4/5 players just camped & hidden in the same town doing nothing for the entire match.

I mean, at least I got 9th place without doing anything but I do think that the zone restriction system perhaps needs some tweaking.

Eh, it's a risk/reward thing. If you land in the middle of the circle and camp there, chances are you're not going to have the best loot, while those people who have spent the game scavenging and killing are going to be decked out. Of course, I'd still rather have the good position than the good loot, but for every time you get lucky with the circle's positioning there's going to be a time that it fucks you and you're forced to run across an open field.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How are the performance increases for everyone? Won't be able to get home and download the new patch for a few hours yet.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still can't see what niche the crossbow is supposed to occupy. Unless theyve made it laser accurate at long range, id rather have any other weapon including pistols.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Finally got to try the new patch. The performance increases are good, but it seems like the extra foliage on lower settings mostly balances it out to where it was prepatch for me, on my laptop at least. It's much, much better in towns now though.

Crouch-running owns, the game feels much more responsive when it comes to weapon-switching, opening doors and looting, and I'm not sure how I feel about the relative lack of AR's early on. I think it logically makes sense to make them a bit more scarce so that people will actually use other guns, but it does feel weird not being effectively guaranteed one before the midgame.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

NickBlasta posted:

I feel like the thinner spreading of the loot has really slowed down the game. I don't really want to have to loot for three phases to find half the stuff I need, I liked it how it was before where I could loot in the first phase and go.

Yeah, after a few more games I agree with you. It's not even just weapons, it's ammo that's more scarce too. It's intensely annoying having to stop and look in houses for ammo when you're already racing the circle in the mid-late game, but if I don't then I've often only got 1-2 magazines. I guess it's attempting to discourage people simply getting fully looted early on then camping in the middle of the map until late game, which I think is a good goal, but they've taken it a notch too far IMO. Oh well, I guess this is what early access is all about, and I'm sure they'll continue to tweak it.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

rap music posted:

There are 126k people playing this right now.

drat, it's still growing. H1Z1 is still doing good numbers too, which would suggest that PUBG is attracting a crapload of new players to the genre (I'm one of them) and that can only be a good thing.

It's surely only a matter of time until we see a AAA BR game announced, surely. There's just too much money here now for the execs not to be eyeing it up.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ever since the patch messed with the foliage settings, I've noticed that a lot of people I snipe at from distance immediately hit prone. On their screen they're probably in the middle of a field of tall grass, but from 500m away they're just laying there on empty ground, fully visible.

E: I've also been getting an annoying crash sorta thing after games end. The menu screen will come up with the music, but it just hangs there. I can't alt-f4, and if I try to bring up task manager the game will always steal focus and I can't end the process. All I can do is press the Windows key and restart the computer. Really irritating.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 22, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

Also people wouldn't be squadding up in Solo if the rewards for Duo/Squad weren't complete dogshit. Got to the top 3 for squad before we died and we got 100 points out of it.

Yeah, but who is playing this game for the cosmetics anyway? They're all really bland and meaningless.

People team up in solo because they're cheating shitlords, not because of the cosmetic points.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know if the steam API or whatever allows it, but you should never be allowed to get placed in the same solo game as someone on your friends list. That would be the most low-effort/high impact change to make. Of course there are easy ways around it, but you just wanna make it as much of a pain in the rear end as possible to attempt to discourage the behavior (as well as other detection methods too ofc, whatever they may be)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

I swear I am. I have never looked through a scope in 52 rounds of this game. it just brings the weapon up into a firing position

Just a quick tap of RMB will bring up the ironsights. How have you had the patience to play 52 games without ever using your sights? :psyduck:

A single click will be a toggle between sights, and a double click will mean you have to hold it down then release to change back.

• Locked thread