Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

How is the performance of this in its current state? My computer is getting a bit long in the tooth but this honestly looks like a nice bit of fun if I don't take it too seriously.

What are your actual specs? It definitely runs better now, but it's still not where it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

Roughly equivalent to a 660ti iirc

You should be able to run it fine then, just be prepared to crank everything down. The 2 hour grace period for refunds is enough for like 4 or 5 games to see how it runs, too.

Does anyone know what kind of antialiasing system they use in this game? I hate how jaggy it looks when I don't have it on, but whatever AA solution they have looks absolutely awful, like everything is smeared with vaseline. It's so bad that I actually would rather have the jaggies.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/856783765263142913

Looks pretty cool, I'd like them to add some different times of day too. Full night would probably be a pain in the rear end (but would make flash hiders actually useful) but a misty/rainy dusk would be really atmospheric and cool.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1299695420531366322

Tl;dr a few minor bugfixes and loot spawns being rolled back to how they were before.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got killed by someone who appeared out of nowhere, looted all my items in an instant (box disappeared) then just vanished. The game had seemed perfectly stable sync-wise up until that point.

E: I also moved the game to my SSD after realizing the install is only 7.5Gb and it makes such a huge difference to my framerates for some reason.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
3 left in solo with 11 kills, then get forced to run across a field with the other two sitting in cover getting lucky with the circle. :mad:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

Has anyone ever found a tommy gun? I've encountered countless air drops, gotten AWM's M24's, and M249's a ton but never once seen a tommy gun.

I got one today. You can't put any attachments on it, which sorta makes it a bit useless really. I mean, it fires .45 and has a 100 round magazine, so at close range it's a beast, but I'd much rather have any of the AR's if I could only choose one. Shotguns are also amazing at close range and they're everywhere, so I'm not really sure what niche the Tommygun fills really, especially considering its rarity.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 26, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

daveline posted:

is the patch out yet?

Yep.

E: Just played my first game post-patch and the lag was intense. :(

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 27, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

daveline posted:

how's the loot now? I haven't really had many issues in the past week tbh apart from scopes

I've only had the chance to play one game and the lag was so bad I didn't last long. I found an 8x right off the bat in some random little garage next to the ruins though, and there seemed to be more ammo with the weapons.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phrosphor posted:

Was anything important changed in the 1.3Gb patch I just downloaded? I don't see any patch notes anywhere.

Some minor bugfixes, and the loot spawning system was changed back to how it used to be (so stuff should be more plentiful now).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo I didn't see that they fixed the sound crackling bug. Thank gently caress for that, it was horrible.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another 450 meg patch is now downloading. Lots of people on the subreddit were reporting crashes, so it's probably to fix that.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Something else I just saw too. Apparently Battlegrounds uses some models from this dude's UE4 Weapons Pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmBam_JHzU

It might offer up some clues as to the upcoming weapons they're planning on releasing. If they're planning on releasing one a month I assume they'll just be using these existing models that they already have.

E: Oh hey, here's a list of weapons included in the pack that aren't in game yet:

Sako 85
Ruger MK3
Stealth Hunter
PX4
Sig Sauer P250
P90
MP5
M1014
Flaregun
Fabarm Martial
Glock 22
DT11
CX4 Storm
MK18
CZ75 SP01
Mossberg 590A1

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 27, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of, I'm really curious to see what the longevity of this game is. It's kind of insane to me how quickly they can fill a 100 person match, especially considering they queue separately for squads and duos, but it'll be interesting to see what it looks like when people have started to move on to other stuff.

I don't see it going anywhere for a long while. It's breaking 100k concurrent players on a regular basis, and they've already built a lot of goodwill with their regular communication and patches.

The most surprising thing to me is that H1Z1 is still doing really, really well too. You would think with PUBG getting such big numbers so quickly that it would have cannibalized lots of players from the few other games in the genre, but it doesn't seem to have happened at all. To me, this says that the genre is growing very quickly, which points to some excellent longevity.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ugh, holed up in a good spot, Kar with 8x and fully decked out M16, 5 kills, a shitload of meds and stims, and then a crash. Fuuuuuuuuck

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-S2vgf1wMo

Some excellent strategy advice to be had on the Asian servers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This latest patch is hardlocking my computer. It freezes, and the only thing I can do is turn the computer off and on. :sigh:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My current favourite place to drop is the ruins with church. You can pretty much always get there no matter which way the plane flies, it's usually empty or near empty, and there's plenty of decent loot spots there. Plus, whenever people do drop there with me, they practically never go to that ruined tower on the high ground where it's easy to get an overview of the whole area and ambush them.

In addition, it's central enough that the circle is almost always on your side, and there are plenty of good cover spots to get some easy kills in the midgame.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

Been playing on the US servers a lot latley and in general it is better. Compared to the OC servers there is about 90% less people screaming racist poo poo constantly. Also I have yet to come across one hacker or teaming in solo.

Went back for a game on the Aussie server and first game the plane was filled with people screaming N***** and came across 2 different teaming groups.

Aussie servers are a loving cesspit.

Queue Aussie servers - immediately have to mute everyone because people are screaming slurs and calling each other cunts.

Queue Asian servers - immediately mute everyone because slurs and terrible Chinese music getting blasted over mic.

Queue Euro servers - there's a dude crawling on the ground singing 'I'm a snakey snake, come and join my snakey snake line'. 20 people join the snake line, laughing and chatting. :3:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Thanks to some sage advice from prestigious "Video game Dad" Vincent "Vinny" Caravella I immediately muted all voice chat in this game. Life is good.

I would do this, but then you sometimes miss out on some excellent salt when you kill someone by popping out from a bush and shotgunning them in the back. I will usually mute until I jump from the plane though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So many Chinese players on the Asian servers who aren't even sneaky about teaming. You can hear them on the mic coordinating their jumps almost every game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
After seeing a post on Reddit, I decided to turn everything up to Ultra on my i5 4590 / GTX 1060 system....and it runs better than with everything on Very Low. Only the explosions from the Airstrikes seems to cause major frame dips. I'm guessing this is something to do with more work being offloaded to my GPU, so the CPU has less to do, but it's still very weird. The only negative thing is that the inside of buildings are really goddamn dark with shadows cranked all the way up.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Also, I just had someone throw a stun grenade at me for the first time ever and it crashed my game. :(

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 1, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, moving my install to my SSD made things a lot smoother all around. Tell your friend to buy one, 120 Gig versions are very cheap and that's enough space for your Windows install and a few of your most played games.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think right now all their work is going into improving performance and fixing the desync stuff. Once that's done I imagine they can start on actual new content because the game will be pretty much feature complete.

E: I really prefer the double barrel shotgun over the pump-action, but if you don't kill them in those two shots then you're hosed. The S12K is by far the best short range weapon, but it really sucks beyond like 15 metres.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 1, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I don't think there's ranked matchmaking LOL

What? There's only ranked matchmaking right now, they've said that unranked is coming later on. What do you think all the points and leaderboards mean?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Also I can never be mad at a guy who does this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_6rP8Cbek

Does he do all this himself? It's some pretty slick production for one dude sitting at a computer.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/02/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-hits-2-million-copies-sold

Up to 2 million copies sold now. Holy poo poo.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol at the south african in the comments "20 OF MY MATES HAVE THIS GAME PLEASE LET US PLAY IN EUROPE SERVERS"

sometimes living in places has disadvantages who knew

haha yeah gently caress those guys for wanting to play this game, should've been born somewhere else noobs!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

If there's enough demand, I don't think they'd be opposed to opening servers in other regions. They're pretty flush with cash right now.

Well sure, that's fine and I hope they do. Personally, some Southeast Asia servers would be great - there's a huge playerbase here who get lovely pings to the existing Asian servers in Korea and Amazon offer servers in Singapore which are ideally located for the region. However, lag armor or not, I really don't like the idea of strict ping restrictions so that friends and family from different regions cant play together. Depending on what they set the threshold to, I might not be able to play with my brother anymore, and that would really, really suck.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Dang, guess that's a nevermind on this game. I'm running an i5 and as soon as I jump from the plane I fall to sub-1 FPS and my GPU usage shoots straight up to 100% even with the recommended graphics settings in the OP. Any hope for me or just drop a refund on it for if/when I decide to get a better processor?

What i5 and what GPU?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I can see 6 gig 1060's on Newegg for $220, that would probably be your best bet and would last you for a good long time to come. I have one and it's perfect for 1080p 60fps gaming. (although not in Battlegrounds because I still can't hit a consistent 60fps no matter what settings I use.)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

revolther posted:

1060 does good in this game. I can play with everything on Ultra and maintain 60+ with occasional dips, the framerate only tanks in the plane/drop for some reason.

Yeah that's what I mean, the lobby and plane will bring me to 30fps, but once I land it's >60fps 90% of the time. Just wish it could be a locked 60 at all times.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Something feels so off with the SKS. It's the only gun where I can't get to grips with aiming it, especially with a 4x/8x. All the others I've got a pretty good feel for how to lead my shots etc, but the SKS just never seems to shoot where I aim it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Are your shots more accurate when you ADS as opposed to aiming in 3rd person? Or is it just a preference thing?

Yes, a lot more accurate. With the pistols, SMGs and shotguns you can do quite well with just the 3rd person aiming, but try and do it with any rifle and you just spray everywhere.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
A sniper rifle with built-in silencer? Gotta be crate-only then.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If their threshold is 1000+ posts per day to get access to Custom Games, we need to step up our spam game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnElegantPeacock posted:

New plan, I'm just gonna point a webcam at my couch, quit my job, drink Pabst in my underwear, and play this game until we get a custom game. Who's with me? I might switch to Rainbow 6 when I get bored but I can reliably drink Pabst for like 16 hours a day and not die. Donate to my Patreon!

The Goon Stream™

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

I am glad I made this terrible thread take notice of me over my opinions.

Streaming is still dumb and your custom game is probably going to be dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I would like to see berries in this game that you can eat for a slight health boost

What do they bring that bandages don't though? And bandages are plentiful enough that I'm normally dropping some to make room for ammo after a few minutes.

• Locked thread