Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just found out I love this game holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is just a guess since I haven't tested this game extensively on many machines, but I am really willing to bet that a lot of the low FPS comes from poorly handled netcode, unthreaded delays, draw calls, memory handling, exception handling and just pushing Unreal in general to do stuff it doesn't want to.

In other words, things that scale really poorly up and down and makes you have 40 FPS on a great PC and 30 FPS on an awful PC.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I thought that was a myth...

It baffles me that this game has a bunch of guns and items that I haven't actually ever seen in game. Why is there a prohibition era Tommy gun in the lobby? Is that actually in the game?

I found an 8x scope today in a random apartment and it felt as though I was carrying the Hope diamond.

I got a 15x off a crate. The thing is bananas. Same about the Tommy gun.

Get used to using the boat and loot the crates that drop in the ocean, and you'll get to see them in no time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You can win a match with 0 kills, that's not great design.

And that's pretty goddamn amazing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally won my first match, in a 3 man squad, and I was alive at the end which I never thought would happen. Our mics were muted and we were separated - the two of them started in Severny and I started in Novorepnoye. I survived a red zone while being uncovered after crashing my vehicle. This is the best game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ostentatious posted:

what ive learned of goons is they are the kings of spreadsheets and strats but have gently caress all aim or map awareness

That's me in a nutshell.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno man, I'm so bad at the game that if I always started with a 4x, a level 3 helmet + vest + bag + ammo + gently caress it just give me everything I would still have to play on the tip of my toes. Something between that and reaching mid-game with no ammo would be pretty nice.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I've had that today.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glad to see you're back to speed running.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHOqaTvWW4
This is me every match being hard carried to the skies above.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnElegantPeacock posted:

It has something to do with the frame rate and the refresh rate on your monitor and how things render. It probably has a 60hz tick rate and all the super l33t progamers want 120hz. Very few games actually surface tickrate though. The recent Battlefield games are the only ones I can think of.

Yeah, what Bohemian Nights said. Unless you're being very specific about bad netcode threading, server tickrate and your monitor's refresh rate aren't related. You can play a 20hz tickrate game at 120 fps in a 120hz monitor and that'll be a much smoother and pleasant experience than playing the same game with 20 fps. You don't need a 128 ticks per second server to reap the benefits of a 120/144/165hz monitor, although pretty much everyone benefits from a more precise server that's not running on 30 ticks per second like battlefield.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heZETA9ir60 this is pretty baller.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I headshotted a friend, killed him again later on that match, ran over my team with a car and tossed a grenade that blinded us all. My friend died to fall damage while on the gas. It was a great day at PUBG.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

On my road to the top 100 while being unable to win anything.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimbot posted:

Are there any tips for playing solo? I love playing it with friends but I just find solo games just so dull. You either jump with a huge crowd and get into a big brawl with no supplies or you spend 90% of the game running from zone to zone just to get sniped by someone who got to the vantage point first. With team games you have you friends to muck around with and team fights just end up being more fun and intense.

I guess it depends on your goal. I have no idea how to win games - hence my 0 solo wins. What I do get from solo play is that you have to be daring sometimes and just go hard for the vantage point with a vehicle when you're in the mid to late. Then I die to A) being bad and missing shots B) people outside the gas who are farming kills C) being bad and dying to people who got to an even better position that I didn't think about.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 16, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No amount of money spent is going to make this game run smooth as silk.

What you can do is minimize your troubles by doing all the tricks possible, like reducing paging allocation to prevent the game from stuttering like crazy, doing the commands to enable more cpu cores, putting the game on your SSD and hoping that won't kill your drive.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm not looking for smooth as silk, I literally can't even get one frame per ten second with my current graphics card. I haven't touched my rig in five years so I'm due for an upgrade anyways, this was just the final straw. Plus, I really like streaming so it'll help that out in general so I can play some other games

I mean, if your GPU is so bad that it's being the throttle in this game and you can't get past 20 fps, then yeah go for it. And yeah having a nice rig makes it a lot easier on streaming/recording. I'm just saying not to create a lot of expectation!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The funnest way to play the game is doing whatever feels more fun to you.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found the perfect way to play this while I work. I fall into some random shack in the white circle, leave the sound on and go AFK for 10 minutes. Let me see how it goes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

I found the perfect way to play this while I work. I fall into some random shack in the white circle, leave the sound on and go AFK for 10 minutes. Let me see how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQxki6uCONA

Well that was a successful match.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's almost like that has been a staple of social behavior in competitive games since the dawn of time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great physics all around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeE2qoczgk

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gunder posted:

I wonder what percentage of players have ever won a game? In 178 games I have achieved 2 solo, 1 duo and 5 squad wins. I assume most average players are around the same. It's also interesting to see that almost everyone in the top 10 of the worldwide leaderboards is a European player.

I'm willing to bet there's no proper matchmaking so the winning distribution follows the 80/20 rule and a fair amount of people have never won a game.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 27, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VulgarandStupid posted:

There is, as it turns out.

So if you're 2000 you'll be more likely to see, say, 1900-2100 rating people?

Not that I'm doubting you, but I'd like a source because my friends furiously debate about whether there is or not a matchmaking going on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

It's probably barely distinguishable from straight up random assignment.

It's really not. My friends were in an endless debate about whether the game had matchmaking or not, because we all had a far easier time in NA, even with high latency, than in SA, and the people who moved to the same rating in NA didn't notice any difference. After someone explained that the game indeed has matchmaking we decided to check on all of our players one by one and pretty much the people complaining about NA being easy were at 1500 there and 2000 on SA, and as we moved up the difficulty normalized. The people who were 1800-1900 on both didn't notice any difference.

The gap between the 1500 players and the 2000 players was gigantic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beanbox posted:

Where is the line between shooting and killstealing people in Goonsquads?.

I've never really thought about it before a guy in my squad said "you're the killstealer" last night.

I mean if I see people I shoot at them, rather than getting shot.

This is the stupidest game I can possibly imagine for someone to complain about killstealing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate how I never look at the blue, and there's always someone there, patiently awaiting to take someone to the sweet embrace of death with him.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Person sees a closed shack just outside the newly refreshed restricted area.
Person sees a corpse just outside that shack.
Person decides to loot that corpse with the back exposed to the shack's door.

I honestly cannot understand the thought process.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My performance in the game is pretty gear-independent. I call my top tier strategy "hide-and-die". I've reached an existential plateau where mundane and corporeal things such as helmets, vests and weapons no longer offer me any advantage.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fargom posted:

How to fuckboi shack campers protect themselves from a single frag thrown in the window? I always considered hiding in these things to be a death wish.

The trick to successfully camp a shack is to always shoot first.

Do you hear a grenade pin? Open the door and kill the dude while he's throwing the grenade.
Is someone approaching and he intends to enter the shack? Kill him.

100% of the people against whom I've played get caught off guard, because they're fully expecting that the shack camper is gonna hide there until the very last second.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

If you are able to open the door and shoot the guy before he is back to his primary I think he is throwing the nade from a bad spot.
Honestly I think you have to spot people and kill them while they approach. When I throw a nade in to a shack it's more to get the camper out of the shed not so much expecting to get him with the nade. When the guy in the shack come bursting out the door you can get the jump on him easily.

Also to the guy earlier asking if people would reck him in this game like it was CS, they will not. The gameplay and gun play in this game is quite different. I get in very few situations where me having played a fair amount of CS helps me much (1pp instead of 3pp might change this a bit though, who knows). I think you will be more than fine in PUBG.

My point is not to wait enough to die. You just adapt that to whatever situation you're in instead of sitting in the shack passively.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How the gently caress do you fight your way out of a shack is my question every time

7 smoke grenades.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

True. I just throw them towards gunfire in the final circles and hope it pulls attention away from me.

What color is the boathouse at hereford?!
[gif]https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-07-2015/fF3P4e.mp4[/gif]

My number one tactic when I have to swim to sosnovka is to wait until someone else does it too, toss a smoke grenade towards them and run away the other way. I'm 4/4 with that, both in escaping the beach run alive and in having the other guy successfully assassinated.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Took me 37 matches but I finally got to 2000 rating on NA and the matches are getting nightmarish. Everyone is pretty good at headshotting and it's really hard to get to a starting place that is not incredibly dangerous. It's like every single spot in the map is guaranteed to have 2-3 other people in it who are on the lookout to kill you. Keeps you super on edge. A lot of the cheeses I knew don't work anymore.

In other words I can't kill poo poo.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamelekim posted:

Which ratings matches you with harder opponents if it is lower? Just your overall Rating?

I think the overall rating. It certainly isn't the Kill Rating. I'm also pretty sure that the amount of points you gain is offset by the average MMR of the match (just like every other game). I won 20 points in a 11/91 game and 7 points in a 11/100 game immediately after. Because I'm a huge nerd I have a table of all the 37 matches if you're interested.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The joys of playing in a fresh region with low MMR.

Edit: Not me, a friend of mine. I can't pull these numbers anywhere.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 1, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parallel Playa posted:

not sure if you guys like these but I quite enjoy making them and this ending was pretty funny to me so I'll post one more, let me know if I should stop.

10-kill win highlights

I usually don't but yours are pretty drat good so keep them coming.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The two M4s had a 4x and a 8x. I think other than a helm/body 3 this is the most geared up I ever got.

My duo had 3 med kits and also two M4s with 4/8x.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

causticBeet posted:

You could have just swapped the optics based on what you needed, then you would have had the advantage of a foregrip while shooting the 8x + the ability to have a useful secondary.

I know, but just casually swapping the two of them at that point was much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the parachute camera fix means the glitchy camera bug after you stay a long time in the parachute will be over?

The sooner that wallhack dies the better.

• Locked thread