Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alright, let me just say off the bat that there's hopefully an easy fix to this, but googling around, I'm only finding fixes to unrelated issues from Windows 7 and 8, and they don't work in my situation. The genericness of the error message is preventing me from figuring this out in a timely fashion.

Problem description: New computer, trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10, and it absolutely refuses to work in a way that makes me think that maybe there's something going on with UEFI, but that's just a hunch, since I know jack and squat about UEFI. Basically, I've tried installing Windows 10 several different ways, and I'm getting error messages every single time. If I break out my old Windows 7 install dvd, it installs perfectly on the first try, so it's not a driver issue or a hardware failure.

First attempt: install Windows 10 Education edition from a premade USB stick. Boots onto usb just fine. Install goes quickly and without error. It comes to the point in which it will reboot and load from the hard drive, and normally here I'd set up my user account and all that, but instead I get an error message. Something along the lines of 'Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation". The error message appears like a standard gui error window, but mouse and keyboard cannot hit the 'ok' button, so it is just stuck there unless I manually press the physical reset button. Subsequent boots have the same problem. Booting from the usb stick gives me no new options. I can get to a console, but that doesn't do me much good.

Second attempt: Install Windows 7 (installed fine), use USB stick to upgrade to W10, under the assumption that if the error is related to not having a preexisting user account (one of the googled solutions), this might fix it. USB stick refuses to install outside Windows PE.

Third attempt: Boot from USB stick and try an upgrade install from there. USB installer insists that for an upgrade install, I need to do it from inside windows 7.

Fourth attempt: Judging that the USB stick must be messed up, download Windows 10 and install it on top of W7. Downloads, begins to install, quits with an error (that I forgot to screencap, sorry) along the lines of 'something went wrong, can't install'.

Attempted fixes: Googling around, it seems like you can get an error like this if the UEFI bios is interfering with the key licensing? I already checked the bios, and it's set up like it should be: OS set to 'other OS', key unloaded.

Recent changes: New motherboard/processor/ram, new SSD.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Homebuilt. A work in progress.

Motherboard: Asus H270F
CPU: i5-7500
Ram: 16gb (2x8gb) corsair ddr4 2133
GPU: Geforce 760
Hard drive: Samsung 850 EVO
PSU: Antec 620W HCG-620M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious, but I don't know what. I could just copy Windows 10 off my old drive to my new drive, but it's a laggy, 8-year-old install and I'd rather start fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Use onboard video temporarily and also from within Windows 7 make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version.

I think this is your motherboard:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-H270F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I checked and I'm using 3.05, while the latest release is 3.08. I'll update that and see if it makes any difference.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Update: bios update did not help, but using the generic version of thw windows 10 install tool (rather than the education version) fixed it.

• Locked thread