Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

If anyone wants to do a BFF triangle, I'm running B&J in slot 1 pretty much all the time, Edward, and Yusuke in slots 2 & 3 pretty consistently, subbing in Zela or Mega Ryune or whoever from time to time.

ID is 375, 214, 438.

Just added you, so looking for a third. I run B&J slot one, DMeta slot 2, Ed/Yusuke slot 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zydoran
Oct 11, 2005

Valk is for sissies; I pad in style
Doesn't matter if it's 2013 or 2018, Zeus will always be better than Valkyrie. fight me

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm running Ed (rathian) in slot 1, Ganesha slot 2, B&J (rathian) in slot 3 currently. Mostly playing B&J, but with some Vraska, Yusuke and Dmeta from time to time.
ID: 388,643,391

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey, what are the pros and cons of Athena/Zeus/Valk?
Any one significantly better than the other?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bengy81 posted:

While it will depend on your box, generally Valk > Athena > Zeus.

Valk is an endgame lead, but has very restrictive team-building requirements.
Athena is a bit below her, also with restrictive team-building requirements.
Zeus is a modest upgrade to the farmable Zeus Verse.

https://mantasticpad.com/2018/12/11/new-fest-exclusives-valkyrie-ciel-zeus-giga-athena-non-review-trading-advice/

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

bengy81 posted:

Zeus Pros: Easy farming for low-difficulty content that you can breeze through with ~1 match (as long as they have a light attribute for everything)
Cons: Preempts kill your damage, requiring use of actives on anything difficult. Everything must have light attribute or sub-attribute or it doesn't qualify. Wasting a very rare free draw for what you can essentially farm with Zeus Verse.

Valk Pros: Good multiplier + health boost on leader skills with the majority of her subs having significant rcv to buoy that HP pool. Huge selection of very good subs to pull from. High power sub with her 2x7c. End-game lead for stuff like alt arena.
Cons: If your box is devoid of good healers she's neutered. Uhhh, I guess if you're really bad at combos? She's really good.

Athena Pros: You can do megahuge damage with her as a sub (2x7c and prongs) as long as you prong light. She's a strong big stat stick and is great on any team she meets requirements for (such as a DMeta team).
Cons: She kinda sucks as a leader unless you're brand new (and even then there are far better options you likely have). Her sub-pool is pretty lacking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pcgf went live today if you didn't notice. I'm still grinding out those 6th anniversary quest stones for it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i slammed down my medal for Valkyrie Ciel immediately based on my jp experiences with both choices but then realized afterwards that i have dick all for healers in my box :negative: Absolutely choked in gods, though. maybe I'll get Athena from the PCG machine...

As far as leaders go, Athena's really fun but man do you ever notice when her leader skill misses or you miss the TPAs. from my play experience she was a really boss farm god unevolved and my friends list partners who had evolved her were budget choices over the ones who didn't. 5 million damage without having to 7c or do anything more fiddly than a light TPA is god drat ridiculous. She is bad at anything hard as a leader, though.

SweetJahasus posted:

Athena Pros: You can do megahuge damage with her as a sub (2x7c and prongs) as long as you prong light. She's a strong big stat stick and is great on any team she meets requirements for (such as a DMeta team).
Cons: She kinda sucks as a leader unless you're brand new (and even then there are far better options you likely have). Her sub-pool is pretty lacking.

worth pointing out, she has the highest ATK stat in the game at 3850. she really is god drat ridiculous as a sub. i like her unevo'd form just because TPA farming is unbelievably brainless and easy but you can't go wrong with two 7c and stat values like hers on any team that can use her

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 12, 2018

WCL
Dec 26, 2008

NYAAAH-AH-AH!
I can't even trade for Edward if i trade my dupes, but I can nearly trade for 5 alphonse.

This feels pretty awful and I wish this system was better.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Pulled 15 times with main.

7 light monsters and 8 dark monsters.

Weird.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SweetJahasus posted:

Valk Pros: Good multiplier + health boost on leader skills with the majority of her subs having significant rcv to buoy that HP pool. Huge selection of very good subs to pull from. High power sub with her 2x7c. End-game lead for stuff like alt arena.
Cons: If your box is devoid of good healers she's neutered. Uhhh, I guess if you're really bad at combos? She's really good.

another pro for Valk: in the event that one does have the box for it at the point where it's still relevant, she's about the easiest combo god to play and very forgiving to people who are bad at 7c. watching a valkyrie ciel player in multiplayer stumble is not nearly as tragic as seeing it happen with somebody who just got DMeta and can't cope with her activation requirements

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SweetJahasus posted:

Zeus Pros: Easy farming for low-difficulty content that you can breeze through with ~1 match (as long as they have a light attribute for everything)
Cons: Preempts kill your damage, requiring use of actives on anything difficult. Everything must have light attribute or sub-attribute or it doesn't qualify. Wasting a very rare free draw for what you can essentially farm with Zeus Verse.

I'm probably going to pick up Athena, because I have fuckall for good healer subs for Valk (Haku, Isis, Kamimusubi, Eir, Pixel Lightning) and I already have a Verse.

Edit: Welp, pulled a Valk from the PCGF so I guess that makes my choice a lot easier.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 12, 2018

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm probably going to pick up Athena, because I have fuckall for good healer subs for Valk (Haku, Isis, Kamimusubi, Eir, Pixel Lightning).

Edit: Welp, pulled a Valk from the PCGF so I guess that makes my choice a lot easier.

congrats, they're both great

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Zydoran posted:

Doesn't matter if it's 2013 or 2018, Zeus will always be better than Valkyrie. fight me

Remember when it was a viable strategy to spend 30+ stones beating Zeus with the dark golem counterattack because he was better than anything in the machine?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

cirus posted:

Remember when it was a viable strategy to spend 30+ stones beating Zeus with the dark golem counterattack because he was better than anything in the machine?

i cannot find it now which is a crying shame but there was a video out there of somebody spending like a hundred or more stones chipping Athena down a little tiny bit at a time, it was the most pitiful and hilarious thing

i can't really laugh too hard i think i spent ten stones on her myself

it was so easy to abandon my old PAD account which is crazy when i think of the fact that i spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on my old account, but i mean, it's all dupes of old pantheon garbage, almost nothing is max level, nothing is +297, only a handful of monsters are skilled up... everything was such a chore back then. even my best teams could barely farm descends consistently and the only good monsters you got from those dungeons could be pretty brutal to farm pre-awakenings. Zeus was a boss you were pretty much required to one-shot which generally required a whole bunch of setup to do, Hera-Is could bind your leader and you couldn't do anything about it pre-awakneing, Athena was super fair but basically a damage check that was very hard to meet with the teams that were hot in the metagame at the time...

awakenings changed so much about puzzle and dragons for the better, just putting an end to mandatory stalling and the bind gamble (did my leader get bound? time to restart!) did a lot to improve the game

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 12, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mirthless posted:

i cannot find it now which is a crying shame but there was a video out there of somebody spending like a hundred or more stones chipping Athena down a little tiny bit at a time, it was the most pitiful and hilarious thing

it was a party of 6 hakus back when she was a top tier lead... but it also meant no red/blue color coverage so they only ever did 1x damage

basically a 100 stone offering to their waifu

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Not gonna lie, if they were like you can pull a special 100 stone REM that allows you to select your pull every time I'd be into this.

Zydoran
Oct 11, 2005

Valk is for sissies; I pad in style

cirus posted:

Yeah it was so awful. I never used that particular counterattack strategy myself vs Zeus thankfully but I did use stones to continue in some dungeons for the boss drop. Pretty sure I stoned for my first Zaerog!

Back to the propaganda: Zeus Giga has a really cool active skill opening up options for farm strats not available to verse.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, the Training Arena is incredibly weird.

He Who Dares
May 9, 2013

Radio Free Gracemeria

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, the Training Arena is incredibly weird.

it's sheer numbers inflation. the f10 witches have 1.2b HP.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

He Who Dares posted:

Some poor newb is going to clear Legendary Earth thinking they're hot poo poo, then walk into Training Arena and wonder what the hell just did they just sign up for.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rolled an Ea from the Godfest, who seems... actually pretty good? I mean, he's not quite as powerful as Reeche, but he does come pretty close.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

He Who Dares posted:

Pretty soon PAD is going to have to be 64 bit just to handle the HP.

I remember when the Valk evo was announced and we all said x3 attack had to be balanced by type restriction otherwise it would be OP. Then along came Juggler...

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I remember re-rolling for a couple of hours and eventually being happy as hell to get Ame no Uzume. I haven't been playing as long as a bunch of you but lol that I was happy to get a x3.5 atk multiplier that's condition on HP after HOURS OF REROLLING. The game sure has changed a lot.

Then I got Pandora, and then awoken forms started coming out and I spent a lot of time trying to grind out evo mats for her... Setting your box sorting by CHR (whatever that stands for) makes for a fun trip down memory lane.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

some of these 6th year 2 quest dungeons are pretty tough. gonna have to rethink my teams for these last 5 I haven't beaten. man I hate awoken skill invalid dungeons

rolled as much as I could and got really good results. half my total rolls have been gfe's and the dupes are ones I'd want for trading later. all of my pantheon rolls were dupes, but the only dud is ganesha

main: gney, ganesha x2, yog, kami, i&i, aa luci
alt: rodin, bcotton, ameno, ilm, izanagi, uranus, anubis

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

He Who Dares posted:

Yeah I figured out something was jacked on floor 1 when my B&J team barely took a sliver off those dragon plants. I lost on the tamas.

I came back in with DMeta and still nearly got crushed by the dark witch. Fortunately, the RZaerog equip evo took the tamas down right away.

That's just a huge amount of damage you have to do.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Hobojim posted:

I remember re-rolling for a couple of hours and eventually being happy as hell to get Ame no Uzume. I haven't been playing as long as a bunch of you but lol that I was happy to get a x3.5 atk multiplier that's condition on HP after HOURS OF REROLLING. The game sure has changed a lot.

Then I got Pandora, and then awoken forms started coming out and I spent a lot of time trying to grind out evo mats for her...

I was running L/R Apollo as my red leader until I pulled Ame no Uzume. Then pre-emptives killed my runs.

I started with Mystic Stone Knight. I pulled a Sakuya early but I sucked way to hard to use her.

My first Decended clear was Hera-Is with Sakuya/Apollo/Mystic Stone Knight/Viper Orochi/Yomi (for the time extends)

I also remember leaving my B/D Neptune up on Hera-Is days later because of his resist leader skill.

Edit: I didn't burn stones on bosses but I seem to remember spending a couple of stones on making Ult Athena. She was a game changer.

quote:

Setting your box sorting by CHR (whatever that stands for) makes for a fun trip down memory lane.

Chronological?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

GoodBee posted:

Chronological?

Oh that makes sense! Thanks. While we're on the nostalgia topic, I think you were also my first BFF with one of your alts! Good times. Now I have a dozen or so and none of them ever seem to stick with the same leads I do. Ah well, at least I have options. A few jumped on Valk Ciel so maybe I'll leave her up for a bit.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I played PAD from like, 2013 to 2017, and sold my account. I felt at peace with this, as I was deeply addicted and had taken whaling to disgusting levels. It's something I still regret to this day, but I've learned from this and refuse to spend considerable amounts of money on things that have no return on investment or time.

Fast forward to yesterday when my brother shows me he started playing again, that there's an obscene level of events going on, free 100 stones, an event dungeon where you get 2 mil rank exp for no challenge and there are units now that give 1.8x rank exp so you can reach rank 140 from rank 5.

This is insane. I have a whole team of +297s, a maxed out Valk Ciel, and more. Getting just one +297 back in the day took hours and hours of grinding, and now they just hand them out like candy. This is my second day of playing the game again and I'm doing millions of damage and I'm able to easily breeze through content that I used to sink countless dollars of stones into a few years ago. It makes everything I did in the past have even more of a bitter aftertaste. Evo fodder used to be a hassle to get, and now you can just exchange dungeon chaff for them? +egg management used to take hours and now it's just a simple points system? There are dungeons that give guaranteed skillups that are piss easy?

My mind is kind of blown at how the game has changed in a bit over a year since I quit. I remember when Hera Descended was hard. I remember when Tamadras were new-- I remember when Sonias were new. The power creep is astonishing but seeing the huge numbers is so satisfying.

I'm F2P now and will remain that way (aside from the 10 stone special deal, I grabbed that since I had google play survey money built up so it was essentially free).

If anyone needs a Valk Ciel leader friend, hit me up.

Framboise 393,246,468

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Is monster exp gained from running dungeons split between all cards? Supposedly normal arena gives 6m monster exp but I don't know if that means it gets split or if all your cards get 6m each. Just wondering spam it if I need to maximize gain by lugging around four dead weights or just doing the Amen system with one dead weight.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

yergacheffe posted:

Is monster exp gained from running dungeons split between all cards? Supposedly normal arena gives 6m monster exp but I don't know if that means it gets split or if all your cards get 6m each. Just wondering spam it if I need to maximize gain by lugging around four dead weights or just doing the Amen system with one dead weight.

It's split between cards.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Trying to decide which of the three to pick. I have pretty good subs for both Valk and Athena:

Valk: Gadius, Sakuya, Raphael, Lugh, L. Kali, DQXQ, Venus, Lightning

Athena: Sakuya, Yog, DQXQ, Apocalypse, Lightning... hmm, well maybe I don't have a ton of subs for Athena, but I think I could make it work.

On the other hand, Zeus looks really cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zeus does look cool but his only real uses are farming/ranking dungeons

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's been a couple years since I've played and boy is everything different now. Is myr still good?

Edit: and what's an assist evo?

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 13, 2018

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

big black turnout posted:

It's been a couple years since I've played and boy is everything different now. Is myr still good?

Edit: and what's an assist evo?

There's a newish Myr, you need a Keela to do the evo and she's a bit rough to get. She's ok I think, I don't play her but I imagine she can clear most stuff. There's also a red myr but I know even less about that one.

Assist evos are neat because they pass their awakenings on to the base card. Rathian and King Bradley, for instance, both give poison resistance awakenings to whatever you put them on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mischalaniouse posted:

Trying to decide which of the three to pick. I have pretty good subs for both Valk and Athena:

Valk: Gadius, Sakuya, Raphael, Lugh, L. Kali, DQXQ, Venus, Lightning

Athena: Sakuya, Yog, DQXQ, Apocalypse, Lightning... hmm, well maybe I don't have a ton of subs for Athena, but I think I could make it work.

On the other hand, Zeus looks really cool.
Some of the things on your valk list actually lose their healer typing when you evo them further so watch out for that. You'll probably just have to run an off-type FUA sub.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the buffs to the christmas stuff is live and ilmina is insane

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Framboise posted:

I'm F2P now and will remain that way (aside from the 10 stone special deal, I grabbed that since I had google play survey money built up so it was essentially free).

If anyone needs a Valk Ciel leader friend, hit me up.

Framboise 393,246,468

There are occasionally other special one-time deals that are a good use of survey dollars. Usually something like 1 stone + 1 roll on the collab/special REM for $0.99.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Rascyc posted:

Some of the things on your valk list actually lose their healer typing when you evo them further so watch out for that. You'll probably just have to run an off-type FUA sub.

Too add to this, FUA is basically the toughest part of the new Valk, IMO. You're very limited if you're wanting a healer type to the following:

http://puzzledragonx.com/en/monsterbook.asp?t1=4&t2=4&t3=4&a=47&ue=0&mp=0&s1=1&s2=1&o1=1&o2=2&o3=2

Cotton and Kammimusubi are the obvious stand-outs if you're able to get them (Cotton can also have 3x 7c, and Kammi has a skill CD of 5, so you can inherit good poo poo like awoken bind clears or Fujins over it pretty easily).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rushana's not a bad fua option since she's farmable. there's also ea if you include super awakenings, tho that seems like an iffy investment in the long run. you'll lose all the pluses/exp and the super snowglobe when it comes time to swap him over