Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

poo poo ain't worth seeing if at least Quavo and Offset ain't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
like all the highschool kids who apparently now think The Offspring was the greatest loving thing to emerge out of the 1990s. like, they're not wrong that the offspring were fun and fine, but their reaction to it gets ratcheted up to apeshit levels because they've heard nothing but EDM and mood rock their entire lives so distortion, raggae rhythms, and goofy lyrics are blowing their goddamn mind. meanwhile people who were there are like "son have you even heard of Operation Ivy??"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

meaning if they knew about the rich variety of hip hop that is available they wouldn't give a poo poo about hamilton. in other words, they don't know any better.

no, but they might be less inclined to pay $600 for a seat and would instead spend $20 to get the cast album from itunes and listen to it occasionally in the car or while they work out

(like me, i'm the one who has the correct opinions)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

There's two reactions to any mention of Hamilton that I've seen.

A: "What's that?"
or
B: "Yea it's pretty cool"

I have an Ezale mix tape on stand by so I can shove it down the throat of anyone who says B cause gently caress man how can you even LIKE something in the same somewhat ambiguous genre if it isn't what I like?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Like how the gently caress you gonna go see what YOU like when what I like is so much cheaper and deserves so much attention? Like pick up a loving clipping album they're literally free if you know where to look, which you don't, because you like Hamilton. Where else you gonna find this talent? The stage of Hamilton? Probably NOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUR_ChqUJbc

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think its funny that hamilton comes out the year the concept of cultural appropriation goes mainstream.

Ive got it, we can make up for it with an all white production of "The Wiz".

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'm surprised we've gone this far discussing musicals without mentioning The Book of Mormon which was actually a musical I liked because it wasn't pretentious, took the piss out of musical theater in general, and was legitimately funny as h*ck

I also would like to take this opportunity to say Wicked sucked

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jim Barris posted:

That song was in rhyme but it was strange. I never felt like the lines were really flowing and there wasn't really much wordplay. It had more in common with a mediocre musical song then a rap song but I suppose at the end of the day that's exactly what it is. The song is wearing raps clothes but does that make it rap? Not really.

This is kinda how I feel about everything from Lin-Manuel Miranda. Like it feels like I'm listening to someone who only had the sort of friends who told him his slam poetry was awesome because they were his friends, and he took that to mean he knew how to rap and write music, yet it all comes out pretentious, awful, and like, breaking every rule about rhyme and meter possible.

That he then parlayed this into a play that got bougie white folk excited and thinking they were suddenly hip to all this rap business only makes it worse.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

nah i said people are going apeshit about it because a lot of them are experiencing all the fun parts of hip hop in earnest for the first time

oh its a rap musical

now it all makes sense

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
im reminded of reading this about 21 pilots

quote:

Their songs are usually poetry-based (written by Joseph and Dun); Joseph has stated that when poetry is too long, he needs to start rapping to fit the lyrics in.

wait you're telling me that you dont just start rapping when you cant fit all the words in your song's chosen tempo???

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

This is kinda how I feel about everything from Lin-Manuel Miranda. Like it feels like I'm listening to someone who only had the sort of friends who told him his slam poetry was awesome because they were his friends, and he took that to mean he knew how to rap and write music, yet it all comes out pretentious, awful, and like, breaking every rule about rhyme and meter possible.

That he then parlayed this into a play that got bougie white folk excited and thinking they were suddenly hip to all this rap business only makes it worse.

its like the type of parody rap songs that conservative radio commentators made circa like 2007 that grotesquely butcher the fundamental concepts of the form mostly out of racially fueled disrespect except its an extremely woke musical for milquetoast liberals so criticizing it means you're racist

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Kingfish posted:

What is the rap artist you like that Hamilton most reminds you of?

Capn dan and the scurvy crew

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

nigga crab pollock posted:

its like the type of parody rap songs that conservative radio commentators made circa like 2007 that grotesquely butcher the fundamental concepts of the form mostly out of racially fueled disrespect except its an extremely woke musical for milquetoast liberals so criticizing it means you're racist

je mapelle Lafayette and I'm here to say: death to tyrants in a major way

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/812716240024326144

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
This subculture poo poo is getting out of hand

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gatekeeper posted:

ugh no it's NOT because i sat through like three hours of poo poo tunes waiting to sneak me peepers upon dolly parton's comically oversized circus tits and she never even let em out

Rusty Venture is that you?

EDIT: Beaten like a guy who tried to fight Brock Samson

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

This guy was in Hamilton, so that's cool I guess

https://youtu.be/nm65PCbUMZI

Also the little shop movie owns

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it's the first time in a while anyone has tried marketing hip hop to white people

uhhhh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hamilton is good, and the backlash has much more to do with the kind of people who like it than it does with the musical itself.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

for a musical, it's pretty good

which is like saying, "as far as diseases go, TB beats cancer"

but as for actual good rap music, it's the whitest most dumbest thing since Nerdcore became a genre.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's lovely nerdcore that somehow got mainstream* popularity, OP.

It's like Epic Rap Battles of History if you had to pay a thousand dollars to see it instead of just deleting it from your youtube suggestions.

Hth.

*Upper middle class.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah I thought that was an odd claim myself.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is super wierd, on Wednesday I was going to make a thread about how Hamilton is loving awesome, but figured goons have no class and so nobody would care and the thread would die. :tinfoil:

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Came in this thread expecting to find a bunch of bad opinions about Hamilton, thread delivers.

*listens to 30 seconds of one random Hamilton track*
*has strong opinions about it*

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rime posted:

This is super wierd, on Wednesday I was going to make a thread about how Hamilton is loving awesome, but figured goons have no class and so nobody would care and the thread would die. :tinfoil:

What do you like about Hamilton?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

ElectricSheep posted:

I also would like to take this opportunity to say Wicked sucked

The worst thing about wicked is that fans live in their own psychotic world where it now supersedes all problematic oz canon, you'd know immediately if you were reading a bad review for the franco oz movie if they namedropped elphaba or mentioned how oz is actually nazi germany, instead of saying it was a lovely remake of army of darkness like it actually was

There was this drama kid in PE back in high school that really liked showing people she had both a razr AND that it could blare defying gravity through it's tinny speaker

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Kingfish posted:

What is the rap artist you like that Hamilton most reminds you of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR8qtxts1jY

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Also thanks thread for reminding me to listen to Hamilton today.

*plays "Satisfied," enjoys it*

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
op I asked my partner if hamilton is bad and they got defensive and said the guy who made it is really sweet because I guess they met once anyway hope this helps

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

I like Rocky Horror and Sweeney Todd

These and Into the Woods are like the only tolerable musicals.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Immortal technique did nothing wrong

I would absolutely go see a musical written by immortal technique.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like when Kendrick Lamar raps and also when Lil Wayne circa 2007 raps, will I like Hamilton?

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/07/you-should-be-terrified-that-people-who-like-hamilton-run-our-country

hamilton sucks my rear end

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I didn't care for the soundtrack the rhymes come off as some old pbs educational video but without self awareness of its hokeyness

whoflungpoop fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 25, 2017

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i think the only people who really hate it are trump voters

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The “first lady of nerdcore,” rapper MC Router (responsible for the song “Trekkie Pride”), never achieved the critical success for which she had seemed destined, instead ending up on the Dr. Phil show after an acrimonious dispute with her family over her unexpected conversion to Islam.

a misanthrope posted:

i think the only people who really hate it are trump voters

I don't watch Fox News, and I voted for Clinton. You keep making guesses about me based on the fact that I don't like Hamilton, and so far the only one you've got right is that I love swallowing cum

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 25, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

are there any current affairs articles that don't read like a smug college kid trying to outrage his parents?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I'm surprised there hasn't been a broadway show based off the music of 10cc. Their stuff is really cheesy and fun; structured like Lerner & Lowe songs. However I'll let anyone take me to any broadway play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7eaCftsrFc

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hamilton seems pretty terrible to me. I'll admit, I've never seen it, and I've never sat through any of the song all the way through, but all I've heard from it is terrible. But people seem to like it. What's going on?

Am I crazy, or is everyone else crazy?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love comic books so much

:iiam:

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Going to write a musical about Immortal Technique throwing lovely people in trashcans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Sid Vicious posted:

I like Rocky Horror
Hell yeah I like the music at the floor show

• Locked thread