Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a lot of lefty folks dislike Hamilton because the people that won't shut up about how wonderful it is tend to be "moderate" liberals that use the show as a status signifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

tpink posted:

Came in this thread expecting to find a bunch of bad opinions about Hamilton, thread delivers.

*listens to 30 seconds of one random Hamilton track*
*has strong opinions about it*

in my defence it was a very bad 30 seconds

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Well maybe lefties can look really hard and find their own underwhelming music to circle the wagons to

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

whoflungpoop posted:

Well maybe lefties can look really hard and find their own underwhelming music to circle the wagons to

Right handed people do this too

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Right handed people do this too

Made me lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TurboDrizzle posted:

I think its funny that hamilton comes out the year the concept of cultural appropriation goes mainstream.

Ive got it, we can make up for it with an all white production of "The Wiz".

I like to think that you don't know that the Wiz is a black version of the Wizard of Oz and so you could literally just watch the Wizard of Oz for your white needs.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bongwizzard posted:

These and Into the Woods are like the only tolerable musicals.

I would absolutely go see a musical written by immortal technique.

Assassins is the best musical ever, Chicago, and Cabaret are also pretty good. The movie version of Cabaret is a bit 'meh' compared to post revival versions, since the movie dumps a lot of stuff to make room for Liza and post revival brings back aspects like Sally just being a pretty girl and a so-so singer. Figured I'd throw that out there since you're only talking about musicals that get movies.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Finding the best musical is like finding the least depressed Gbs poster.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I like the Music Man! *is basic af*

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63e_RgvDvY

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

Alexander Hamilton hated democracy and was one of the main drivers behind the Electoral College because of it. So, if you think about it, Donald Trump being president is his fault.

Hamilton was also the OG mold of the hard charger big swingin dick wall street guy NYer stereotype so if not for hamilton Trump may not have even existed in his present form

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

Assassins is the best musical ever, Chicago, and Cabaret are also pretty good. The movie version of Cabaret is a bit 'meh' compared to post revival versions, since the movie dumps a lot of stuff to make room for Liza and post revival brings back aspects like Sally just being a pretty girl and a so-so singer. Figured I'd throw that out there since you're only talking about musicals that get movies.

I think they got movies because they were good? And any case my expose the musical theater strictly comes from having been a stagehand for like 15 years. Do you think sitting through CATS! is bad? Try sitting through it 95 loving times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also the best thing about Hamilton is the fact that a bunch of stagehands are probably going to be able to milk that show for a very easy 10 year run.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
There's a bunch of people who don't like Hamilton because they're racist and hate when black people talk about how they're racist or their own struggles. There's also people who just don't like it for normal reasons but the racists will pretend they don't like it for normal reasons also.

I haven't seen it because I live in England and also nowhere near a big broadway scene.

e: typo, I'm dyslexic

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 25, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

unless you are immortal?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i saw the young frankenstein musical and it was cool and good

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Honestly Hamilton is going to be such an incredible thing for the stagehand industry I can't hate it completely. The Insane hype over this thing just ensures it's going to tour it till the end of days

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

bongwizzard posted:

Honestly Hamilton is going to be such an incredible thing for the stagehand industry I can't hate it completely. The Insane hype over this thing just ensures it's going to tour it till the end of days

I respect this opinion

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Is the Sound of Music a musical and also is it good

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Les Os posted:

depends on what you think about nazis. being a gbs goon there's a good chance you love nazis and want to kiss they booboos when they get punched

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

a misanthrope posted:

depends on what you think about nazis. being a gbs goon there's a good chance you love nazis and want to kiss they booboos when they get punched

I think Nazis are overrated

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Megaspel posted:

There's a bunch of people who don't like Hamilton because they're racist and had black people talk about how their racist or their struggles. There's also people who just don't like it for normal reasons but the racists will pretend they don't like it for normal reasons also.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Les Os posted:

I like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a lot, both as a child and now as an alcoholic

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

Like how the gently caress you gonna go see what YOU like when what I like is so much cheaper and deserves so much attention? Like pick up a loving clipping album they're literally free if you know where to look, which you don't, because you like Hamilton. Where else you gonna find this talent? The stage of Hamilton? Probably NOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUR_ChqUJbc

where do i look? inside you're fat hairy taint?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

im shocked nigga crab empty quoted a sane and good post. good job nigga crab maybe you arent total dog poo poo after all

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im jk i dont actually care about whatever dumb music you're getting all emotional about please dont give me links

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a misanthrope posted:

im shocked nigga crab empty quoted a sane and good post. good job nigga crab maybe you arent total dog poo poo after all

I'm sorry it's ironic. maybe this forum beef you have will reach new dimensions of depth now you know I think your opinions are bad, and you might be retarded

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Remember: you know better than another person whether that person is racist or not!

"I am not racist" -racists

"Why are you calling me racist for no reason?" -fragile white racists

"I'm only telling you I have black friends specifically because you just called me a racist." -mega racist

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

I'm sorry it's ironic. maybe this forum beef you have will reach new dimensions of depth now you know I think your opinions are bad, and you might be retarded

Nigga Crabbed again!!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Secular Humanist posted:

Remember: you know better than another person whether that person is racist or not!

"I am not racist" -racists

"Why are you calling me racist for no reason?" -fragile white racists

"I'm only telling you I have black friends specifically because you just called me a racist." -mega racist

something tells me this is a personal struggle for you

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

a misanthrope posted:

something tells me this is a personal struggle for you

being called racist for no reason? yeah, its kinda gay

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Secular Humanist posted:

being called racist for no reason? yeah, its kinda gay

"no reason" sure bud

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

a misanthrope posted:

"no reason" sure bud

lol, you are a master

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Secular Humanist posted:

lol, you are a master

give me an example of a time you were unjustly called a racist. i've never had that problem so im honestly curious

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I think Hamilton has a pretty good soundtrack and I listen to it sometimes and it sounds good. That's about it. Maybe I'd like to see it someday, maybe not. I don't feel any particular way beyond that. If you care enough to get mad about the show's existence, then you must lead a very boring life. That's literally how I feel about Hamilton.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

a misanthrope posted:

give me an example of a time you were unjustly called a racist. i've never had that problem so im honestly curious

Uh ok one time I said a lot of palestinians have shockingly intolerant attitudes toward gays and religious minorities. And pretty much instantly was accused of "virulent anti-palestinian racism". Because... I honestly don't know. I can't parse how that is racist, I just can't.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Lin Manuel has good taste in podcasts

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Secular Humanist posted:

Uh ok one time I said a lot of palestinians have shockingly intolerant attitudes toward gays and religious minorities. And pretty much instantly was accused of "virulent anti-palestinian racism". Because... I honestly don't know. I can't parse how that is racist, I just can't.

Because you can attack nearly any culture for this but you singled-out palestinians?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Hamilton was one of the best founding fathers so its good he has a musical I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got called a racist slavery apologist once in DnD and the guy wouldn't explain why he said it and I could never figure it out.

I'm not even a little bit racist I voted for Obama and I think sherman should have burned down more than just atlanta :shrug:

• Locked thread