Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

I'm not even a little bit racist I voted for Obama and I think sherman should have burned down more than just atlanta :shrug:

Hm, well, a racist definitely wouldn't lust for white death, so I guess the D&D poster really WAS mistaken!

Actually on the topic of Hamilton I read an article about it and it's pretty alarming if you consider that we're essentially making a group of white slave-owners into a multi-cultural ethnically diverse song and dance troupe, effectively ignoring the fact that these men and the nation they ultimately founded had at its economic bedrock an institution of racial slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hakimashou posted:

I got called a racist slavery apologist once in DnD and the guy wouldn't explain why he said it and I could never figure it out.

I'm not even a little bit racist I voted for Obama and I think sherman should have burned down more than just atlanta :shrug:

careful buddy you might get a new av for that comment

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

careful buddy you might get a new av for that comment

the best I could come up with was that the dnder thought I had bought myself this current av because i was a racist slavery apologist or something

they are some weird ones those dnders some times

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hm, well, a racist definitely wouldn't lust for white death, so I guess the D&D poster really WAS mistaken!

Actually on the topic of Hamilton I read an article about it and it's pretty alarming if you consider that we're essentially making a group of white slave-owners into a multi-cultural ethnically diverse song and dance troupe, effectively ignoring the fact that these men and the nation they ultimately founded had at its economic bedrock an institution of racial slavery.

should have hanged every southern officer and let the freed slaves stone the masters to death imo

treason is bad enough but treason just so you can keep having slaves? even worse

Wasnt Alexander Hamilton an abolitionist? I recall he was one of the good founding fathers like Adams.

Plus all the wackos hate him since he understood we needed banks and stuff.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 25, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

should have hanged every southern officer and let the freed slaves stone the masters to death imo

treason is bad enough but treason just so you can keep having slaves? even worse

Wasnt Alexander Hamilton an abolitionist? I recall he was one of the good founding fathers like Adams.

Plus all the wackos hate him since he understood we needed banks and stuff.

Alexander Hamilton is a douchebag. His contribution to the Federal Papers was to say that common people can't govern themselves, and only society's elites would be suitable to be elected to office. He was effectively wanting to establish a codified aristocracy in the U.S.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a misanthrope posted:

give me an example of a time you were unjustly called a racist. i've never had that problem so im honestly curious

Do you like Hamilton? I'm not sure what's going on with you itt

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You know how theres always some enormously awkward catastrophe that kills whatever topical slang or move of an era, like how miley cyrus buried twerking and your dad ruined fo shizzle

Hamilton is looking to succeed where Macklemore failed, and kill rap as a popular genre for good

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I like to think that you don't know that the Wiz is a black version of the Wizard of Oz and so you could literally just watch the Wizard of Oz for your white needs.

I know but part of the charm of (or the whole point of) Hamilton undeniably is "This story was stolen from another ethnic group", and my all-white production of "The Wiz" would fulfill this need. Wizard of oz is completely different.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alexander Hamilton is a douchebag. His contribution to the Federal Papers was to say that common people can't govern themselves, and only society's elites would be suitable to be elected to office. He was effectively wanting to establish a codified aristocracy in the U.S.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
10 years from now you're going to accidentally rhyme and everyone in the room is gonna instantly envision some california tech hipster in a powdered wig PG rhyming about oppression and bootstraps. they will be repulsed and/or make andrew dice clay jokes at you

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TurboDrizzle posted:

I know but part of the charm of (or the whole point of) Hamilton undeniably is "This story was stolen from another ethnic group", and my all-white production of "The Wiz" would fulfill this need. Wizard of oz is completely different.

Which ethnic group is Hamilton stealing from?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I sold ham tixs for mad monies so it is good. Hamilton himself is bad tho bc he was a lovely elitist who wanted monarchy and other crap

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tpink posted:

Came in this thread expecting to find a bunch of bad opinions about Hamilton, thread delivers.

*listens to 30 seconds of one random Hamilton track*
*has strong opinions about it*

tbf it only takes about 30 seconds to determine whether or not hamilton is something for you

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

hakimashou posted:

I got called a racist slavery apologist once in DnD and the guy wouldn't explain why he said it and I could never figure it out.

Usually only racists pretend they have no racism, being completely free of racism is a fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

I'm super not racist but I'm probably unconsciously still racist in a lot of ways, because I was raised in a racist society.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i saw a rocky horrorshow on the offbroadway and crimson carrots! it was a hecka good time. mr. Sebastian bach of skid row and trailer park boys fame played riff raff and he was beautiful like a gleaming precious woman with powerful magickal hair and the essence of Sephora dusted luxuriously upon his taut face.

a guy named terrence mann who once played the bounty hunter alien in the movie CHUDS was the tim curry in the play and he packed a wallop!! his voice boomed like a piano dropped for an ungodly height. he strutted and stuffed and impressed us all with his non-toxic masculinity and empowered femininity. it put us all at ease and gave us tingles we hadn't expected in places we don't usually talk about in public (no one else mentioned the tingles but i knew they shared the tingles, i could feel them comin in the air tonight)

but the true highlight was the consummate professional mr. Gilbert gottfried who had fun with a purpose in his role of "the criminologist". his distinctive mouth sounds were a nice counterbalance to the soothing gentle energetic aural emanations from the rest of the play. after the show i met him and shook his hand and got a picture with him and an autograph and it was like getting jacked off by a kennedy, an important dead one, it was that heckin good.

sadly there had been a 9/11 not long before the play started and people were afraid of nyc so to my horror the show was forced to stop must going on :( but hearing terrence mann and seeing sebastian bach and touching gilbert gottfried was a trifecta of goodfeels and it changed my life in ways my doctors still haven't entirely uncovered

i haven't heard anyone describe hamilton with words like "CHUD" and "tingles" and "gleaming" so i feel like it probably isn't for me but I have no doubt it's better than every play that isn't Rockys picture horrorshow

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do you like Hamilton?

never saw/heard it

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not sure what's going on with you itt

:catdrugs:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Megaspel posted:

Usually only racists pretend they have no racism, being completely free of racism is a fantasy.

I'm super not racist but I'm probably unconsciously still racist in a lot of ways, because I was raised in a racist society.

im anti-racist though

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

hakimashou posted:

im anti-racist though

Is that like bizarro-superman but with racism?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
durrr i'm gonna talk about politics, in the hamilton gbs thread

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Hey guys, I think Hamilton is really good and I like it a lot, just like Hitler.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Things can be Good Politics but also be really bad

The Goode Family satirized granola yuppies but it was still unnervingly cynical and unfun

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Neurolimal posted:

The Goode Family satirized granola yuppies but it was still unnervingly cynical and unfun

all i want is another season of king of the hill :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neurolimal posted:

Also things can be bad politics and really good.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I have not, nor will I ever listen to a single Hamilton song

Suck my dick bitxh op

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do you like Hamilton? I'm not sure what's going on with you itt

A misanthrope lives in a private hell where he's surrounded by Neonazi strawmen, just waiting to send him to Castle Trumpenstein to be experimented on. Like an auto-immune disease, he massively overreacts to every perceived slight. It's pretty sad imo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo Hamilton is good

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

A misanthrope lives in a private hell where he's surrounded by Neonazi strawmen, just waiting to send him to Castle Trumpenstein to be experimented on. Like an auto-immune disease, he massively overreacts to every perceived slight. It's pretty sad imo.

and omg jc a bomb has never made a good post ever never in his life

we all have our personal crosses to bear :(

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

a misanthrope posted:

and omg jc a bomb has never made a good post ever never in his life

we all have our personal crosses to bear :(

Actually he has made many great Dues Ex related posts.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Jim Barris posted:

Actually he has made many great Dues Ex related posts.

please stop you're making me more sad for him :cry:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
buzzfeed hamilton slack

Captain Finance
Aug 21, 2005
I spent the first three months of my Hamilton exposure being annoyed by it. I slowly began paying attention to it, and noticed that there is a ton of beautiful things in it.

Try the songs. They are quite good!

"Wait for it" (could easily be a single on the radio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTP6x_sDiM

"Schuyler Sisters" (70s motown(?) -- song actually starts at 20 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdrzOdd8Kw

"Satisfied," which is a highly creative song that features an actual performed "rewind". The singer, Angelica, is performing her wedding toast to her sister, but is actually reliving/regretting her snap judgement decision to let Eliza have Hamilton instead of keeping him for herself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0EqxnWxlvY

If you like these, there are about 40 other songs in the show that deliver 27000+ words in 2.5 hours. Hamilton is an amazing musical.

Captain Finance fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 26, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

You know how theres always some enormously awkward catastrophe that kills whatever topical slang or move of an era, like how miley cyrus buried twerking and your dad ruined fo shizzle

Hamilton is looking to succeed where Macklemore failed, and kill rap as a popular genre for good

:aaaaaa:

Megaspel posted:

That song sounds like something a white person (death to all whites!) wrote to justify their racism, using oppressed minorities with Stockholm Syndrome to try to justify their bad and wrong point. :v:

(it's good)

Captain Finance posted:

I spent the first three months of my Hamilton exposure being annoyed by it. I slowly began paying attention to it, and noticed that there is a ton of beautiful things in it.

"Satisfied," which is a highly creative song that features an actual performed "rewind". The singer, Angelica, is performing her wedding toast to her sister, but is actually reliving/regretting her snap judgement decision to let Eliza have Hamilton instead of keeping him for herself.

If you like these, there are about 40 other songs in the show that deliver 27000+ words in 2.5 hours. Hamilton is an amazing musical.

The Room Where It Happens is the best song and makes me feel things. Things about politics.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Captain Finance posted:

this stuff loving blows

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I have a viscerally negative reaction to hamilton's music, but probably only because my kid brother had it on repeat for like days on end when I visited one time, I think that'd kill the vibe for anyone :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

QuoProQuid posted:

andrew lloyd webber wrote a sequel to phantom of the opera where the phantom moves to new york to open a circus as part of an elaborate gambit to win back christine's love. also, the phantom and christine have a secret love child for some reason and the love interest from the original musical becomes an abusive alcoholic.

here's a song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drZxxY-h_C0

annie is garbage. chess is the best musical.

Worth pointing out that ALW essentially had to write it twice because apparently his cat stepped all over his keyboard and deleted his music at one point.

Imagine how much worse the first draft was.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nigga crab pollock posted:

this stuff loving blows

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Hamilton sucks but one of the cast (wanna say Lafayette or something) is the MC for actual rap group clipping. who are p good, if a bit out there (like noise rap sci fi concept album out there)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

hakimashou posted:

Maybe he called you a racist because arguments for hating the South are 1:1 with those of hating black people

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Have Blue posted:

Hamilton sucks but one of the cast (wanna say Lafayette or something) is the MC for actual rap group clipping. who are p good, if a bit out there (like noise rap sci fi concept album out there)

And he was quite stoked on the musical. Makes you think. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Trunko posted:

Maybe he called you a racist because arguments for hating the South are 1:1 with those of hating black people

more likely someone confused him for some other smug right wing oval office tbh

• Locked thread