Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Splatoon Good?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I need to know. This will dictate whether I buy an inevitable summer Switch bundle or not. I've only ever heard good things about Splatoon from my friends who bleed Nintendo red, so i'm a little skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
It's really cute and fun, I like it a lot. A good game if you ask me

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

no but Splatoon 2 seems like its gonna be peedeece. the new weapons look epic

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
It's fun but not suited for competitive gameplay by any means. Peer-to-peer servers means that unless you're Japanese, you will suffer from microlag in a highly fast paced environment. On the other, hand, pretty colors, tons of neat weapons and the ability to have tailor your build for a variety of situations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like it a lot OP. Splatoon 2 is the reason I'm buying a switch, lol.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i thought there were a bunch of really dumb design decisions in splatoon 1, so who knows if youll be able to change your weapon without going back to the main menu or w/e this time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

To expand: the Turf War mode, the basic 3 minute "paint the ground mode" is cool because it teaches you all the geometry of the levels, but the ranked modes are where they require some good exploitations of said geometry to truly excel. I like that movement speed is directly tied to a physical control of the environment, and that kills will splat ink all over so you can dome people and then high speed swim through where they died. Also there's no progression bullcrap or anything, after about 1 hour you have every weapon and all the gear was pretty much cosmetic. Minor stat buffs but you could apply said buffs to whatever gear you liked the look of so you could just stick with what looked rad. Also all the maps, modes, weapons and cosmetics were completely free which was awesome but part of me wonders if they'll do that again for a sequel knowing they have a crowd who already likes the Brand. ANyway that's how I feel OP. Splatoon and Titanfall 2 are the only MP shooters I've ever really dug. Well Quake Live too but not seriously at all because I'm about 15 years too late to even bother.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

i thought there were a bunch of really dumb design decisions in splatoon 1, so who knows if youll be able to change your weapon without going back to the main menu or w/e this time

In the beta test for 2 you can hit Left on the Dpad during the queue and change your loadout there. But that never bothered me in 1 so if it's not there I probably won't care. Queue times were always rapid for the most part.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i only played 5 matches but it piqued my interest. i wish it was like zelda where you can still aim fully with the stick and make adjustments with gyro.. maybe it's better on tv+pro controller

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

To expand: the Turf War mode, the basic 3 minute "paint the ground mode" is cool because it teaches you all the geometry of the levels, but the ranked modes are where they require some good exploitations of said geometry to truly excel. I like that movement speed is directly tied to a physical control of the environment, and that kills will splat ink all over so you can dome people and then high speed swim through where they died. Also there's no progression bullcrap or anything, after about 1 hour you have every weapon and all the gear was pretty much cosmetic. Minor stat buffs but you could apply said buffs to whatever gear you liked the look of so you could just stick with what looked rad. Also all the maps, modes, weapons and cosmetics were completely free which was awesome but part of me wonders if they'll do that again for a sequel knowing they have a crowd who already likes the Brand. ANyway that's how I feel OP. Splatoon and Titanfall 2 are the only MP shooters I've ever really dug. Well Quake Live too but not seriously at all because I'm about 15 years too late to even bother.

ACTUALLY I recently did all the math and i'm closing in on my goal of having every weapon and every piece of armor maxed out to 3 stars + fully levelled up.
Not going to be too thrilled about blowing the 150+k that im sitting on as im running out of items that need levels
The last few weapons they pushed out cost like 21k each which I felt like was a bit expensive for casual players to even be able to enjoy them, especially when they were multiple versions of the same thing like all the splatlings and bukkers
Hope they're not all 21-24k and I can just get them them in one day.

Its weird for me to say this but geez doesn't it feel like its been a long time since the last Splatfest ;(
I need more snails, theyre so ridiculously more worth my time then regular money earning methods.
Also I want to do more ranked mode but my win rate in Splatfest and therefore time spent playing the Splatfest part of Splatfest is going to be tied to my starting Splatfest Power so I need to see what they changed the starting power to before I bring it higher than B

~10% difference in population and winrate is back again so this method clearly failed after a single splatfest

individually though because of matchmaking the whole sordid affair only took me lik 2 and a half hours instead of the 5 hour grind so i don't care as much about only getting 18 out of it instead of 24

also kudos on extended it by 6 hours for people who actually work on the weekend incase they actually have to grind out the 5 hour garbage because its actually-really-loving-obnoxious-to-devote-5-hours-of-a-24-hour-period-to-one-single-game.

in a 24 hour period i have to not sleep in past ~8 hours from prev day, work for 8 hours, sleep for ~8 hours, do everything else i need to get done, play the game for 5 hours, and immediately leave again not being late for for 8 hours work, its a period with incredibly strict bounds on it. 30 hours is wayyyyyyyyy more do-able.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

In the beta test for 2 you can hit Left on the Dpad during the queue and change your loadout there.

oh poo poo i didnt realize that thats great

also yeah splatoon is fun

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

In Training posted:

In the beta test for 2 you can hit Left on the Dpad during the queue and change your loadout there. But that never bothered me in 1 so if it's not there I probably won't care. Queue times were always rapid for the most part.

this just triggers some dub squid samples for me :(

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
synthy, what are you looking for in a shooter? i think splatoon is gonna be good stuff if youre looking for a focused, cheerful, intense arena shooter, but you would probably be disappointed if youre looking for a more open go-anywhere do-anything shooter with bigger map and team sizes

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
splatoon seems like a really good match with the Switch. it's cool being able to jump into a quick round or two while I'm waiting for water to boil or taking a break from something

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i really really liked splatoon 1 and i would get extremely high on marijuana and play it every day for 2 months at least.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
shotgunning japanese teenagers with the roller was always very satisfying

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i bought the switch for splatoon 2 op. it is off the chain

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Splatoon 1 had a bug where it would make my wii u wifi antenna power off just about once per match, but i'm not expecting that to happen on a different console

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

a Loving Dog posted:

i really really liked splatoon 1 and i would get extremely high on marijuana and play it every day for 2 months at least.

this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

Splatoon 1 had a bug where it would make my wii u wifi antenna power off just about once per match, but i'm not expecting that to happen on a different console

wow looks like we found a guy who isn't a series esports gamer here fellas

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

wow looks like we found a guy who isn't a series esports gamer here fellas

whipping my usb 2.0 ethernet adapter around screaming gently caress you gently caress you!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

Same here HP

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

a Loving Dog posted:

same. The Summer of Splatoon

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

splatoon is great, the rank system for 1 was simple yet brutal, and it did a very good job of keeping bad people in the kiddie pool.

once you got to rank B and above it was very clear that everyone was pretty drat good and knew their way around the maps, and it felt good to play at that level

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i do wish there was a ranked turf war though, it was basically team death match and itd be nice if you could play it without getting matched up with literal 5 year olds lol.

any deets on the modes for 2 yet?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turf war is the only confirmed mode so far. I imagine Rainmaker, Splat Zone and whatever the payload mode was called will be back though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope Rainmaker in particular comes back because that was great fun

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

is rainmaker the one where u ride the cart that one waws my favorite

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rainmaker is CTF but the flag is a bazooka

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Rainmaker is CTF but the flag is a bazooka

oh right that one was cool too. hell all the modes were cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

nintendo nails the arena shooter on their first try

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

a Loving Dog posted:

Same but there was also the day I took some acid I thought didn't work but ended up playing the game for like 16 hours

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

extremebuff posted:

nintendo nails the arena shooter on their first try

Too bad they have yet to nail the controls
Anything not kb+m for shooters is fail

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Too bad they have yet to nail the controls
Anything not kb+m for shooters is fail

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
since no one's mentioned how good the music is: the splatoon soundtrack is bad rear end, it keeps you fully pumped to the last second of the round, aand in the pre-match lobby you can fiddle with the buttons and sticks to remix the background music. its unique and confident and cool

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

The Milkman posted:

i only played 5 matches but it piqued my interest. i wish it was like zelda where you can still aim fully with the stick and make adjustments with gyro.. maybe it's better on tv+pro controller
You can fiddle with the sensitivity so that most all of your aiming is done with the stick but you can still make small adjustments with the gyro. That's what I did and I'm liking it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

since no one's mentioned how good the music is: the splatoon soundtrack is bad rear end, it keeps you fully pumped to the last second of the round, aand in the pre-match lobby you can fiddle with the buttons and sticks to remix the background music. its unique and confident and cool
The final boss fight of the single player is awesome and music-themed. The single player is short but really good. I think most people skipped it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The single player is kinda neat but outside of the bosses they don't really use the mechanics very well

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i'm very into the new situational alt fires they've added (dodging into an aimed crouched shot with the splat dualies, lobbing paint straight ahead with the roller if you swing midair) and im extremely pumped to see what else you can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the single player was short and easy. theres some neat stuff in there but i expected it to get crazy and throw some real tough poo poo at you and it never does, still fun though

• Locked thread