Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Splatoon Good?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the final boss was harder than the rest of the single player combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

the final boss was harder than the rest of the single player combined
I think it was like a half hour fight, too.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
yeah like all the other bosses were piddly rear end mario 64 bonk 3 times to kill

then you get to the last boss which had like 5 phases lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
the single-player in the first game was a last-minute thing they weren't even sure people would like/care about so my hope is they'll go all out this time

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I got really addicted to the first game for a while, it's a v good time op

but I think the thing that made me stop was the mode/map rotation got too annoying. if competitive was set to a combo of maps and mode you didn't like, welp, better come back in 4 hours. they should shorten that or have more maps in the mix at once or something

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I would have played Splatoon a lot more if the restrictions on changing maps, modes and equipment were removed. I understand wanting to handhold and streamline things around the player with as broad of an audience as possible, but it was too much

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i can understand ranked mode being locked behind some progress to make sure you understand how the game works, but you should have all the modes available and not just tdm

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I like colorful fun team shooters. How bad is the lag though? I'm a little concerned since I can't run a hardline to the switch

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I like colorful fun team shooters. How bad is the lag though? I'm a little concerned since I can't run a hardline to the switch

seems really good. i was playing the testfire handheld all throughout the apartment and on the porch and it was perfectly smooth the entire time

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'm glad each mode and map stayed on one setting so ppl didn't just flock to a particular mode or map :twisted:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it was pretty playable on wii u over wireless so i imagine the switch won't be too bad

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

i'm glad each mode and map stayed on one setting so ppl didn't just flock to a particular mode or map :twisted:

this

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

most gamers are morons that can only learn the easiest possible map and youre stuck playing the 2fort of splatoon for eternity

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah im glad you have to play the rotation, its the same way in overwatch.

if you give players a choice everyone just does tdm on the easy map and all the other modes are dead like in COD

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its cool how for splatoon 1 as the userbase shrank to just the die-hards they started releasing challenging maps that transformed and were full of tricky areas to hold and dangerous pitfalls

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

most gamers are morons that can only learn the easiest possible map and youre stuck playing the 2fort of splatoon for eternity

Yeah I don't object to the concept of the map rotation, I just wish it changed more often than 4 hours, or maybe had 3 maps active at once instead of 2.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Addendum to my previous answer: Splatoon is suffering. Theree are no longer any American/Western players, meaning that lag is a serious issue. Insta-kill is an important aspect of this shooter and any lag is fatal. You cannot be paired by region. Splatoon was always flawed; at this point late in the game's history (he said, speaking of something less than two years of age), it has become unplayable.

Everything about Splatoon is enjoyable except for the multiplayer.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Neige posted:

Addendum to my previous answer: Splatoon is suffering. Theree are no longer any American/Western players, meaning that lag is a serious issue. Insta-kill is an important aspect of this shooter and any lag is fatal. You cannot be paired by region. Splatoon was always flawed; at this point late in the game's history (he said, speaking of something less than two years of age), it has become unplayable.

Everything about Splatoon is enjoyable except for the multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwjc9HbZug8&t=149s

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

what do you mean a year+ after they stopped supporting the first game on the console that sold 20 units theres matchmaking issues? what in the gently caress

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

extremebuff posted:

what do you mean a year+ after they stopped supporting the first game on the console that sold 20 units

I'm going to choose to read this statement as is.

The nuts & bolts of Splatoon are hard to explain, so bear with me if I get anything wrong. Splatoon servers are peer-to-peer, with Nintendo dealing with the matchmaking, "splat" (kill) confirmations and buffering. There has never been any control over the matchmaking from the player's side. There were regional events (known as Splatfests) but outside of those events (which are sadly finis) you would be paired with anyone available. So when you're paired up with a Japanese/East-Asian player base, you're dependent on their point of view for gameplay purposes and you (the Westerner) suffer for it. Splatoon is one of the most exacting shooters I've ever come across and the peer-to-peer format gives it no favors. Nintendo hasn't done much to support their star product either. There's been weapon balance, but no changes as to how players are teamed up/connected since the very start.

Offline Splatoon is nothing to write home about. It's been rightfully called a tutorial for the online play. Were you to rent the game, you'd probably finish the story mode within a weekend.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Neige posted:

I'm going to choose to read this statement as is.

The nuts & bolts of Splatoon are hard to explain, so bear with me if I get anything wrong. Splatoon servers are peer-to-peer, with Nintendo dealing with the matchmaking, "splat" (kill) confirmations and buffering. There has never been any control over the matchmaking from the player's side. There were regional events (known as Splatfests) but outside of those events (which are sadly finis) you would be paired with anyone available. So when you're paired up with a Japanese/East-Asian player base, you're dependent on their point of view for gameplay purposes and you (the Westerner) suffer for it. Splatoon is one of the most exacting shooters I've ever come across and the peer-to-peer format gives it no favors. Nintendo hasn't done much to support their star product either. There's been weapon balance, but no changes as to how players are teamed up/connected since the very start.

Offline Splatoon is nothing to write home about. It's been rightfully called a tutorial for the online play. Were you to rent the game, you'd probably finish the story mode within a weekend.

Wish I could do a "splat" (kill) confirmation on you bitch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neige posted:

Splatoon is one of the most exacting shooters I've ever come across

Lol

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

elf help book posted:

The man who gave me this title was Fire, a pedophile who's been permabanned since. I don't post much so gently caress red titles and gently caress people who read into them.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Neige posted:

The man who gave me this title was Fire, a pedophile who's been permabanned since. I don't post much so gently caress red titles and gently caress people who read into them.

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Well I've come to the conclusion that this will all boil down to a drunk impulse buy if it ever happens at all. Thank you for your thoughts, continue talking about Splatoon here if you want.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Well I've come to the conclusion that this will all boil down to a drunk impulse buy if it ever happens at all. Thank you for your thoughts, continue talking about Splatoon here if you want.

sounds like a good move, enjoy :cheerdoge:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Getting excited for Spla2on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Getting excited for Spla2on.

I'm going to buy a switch for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Neige posted:

That's tight lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Havethey showed any more info about maps/modes? I hope some of my faves from 1 are back, specifically the later in life maps that were small and transformed or had a bunch of moving parts that affected ink

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I thought the devs said that all game modes were returning from Splatoon 1 but I dunno

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
they mostly talked about Salmon Run at E3, the PvE mode

all the ranked modes are back but they've all been tweaked, the Rainmaker works differently, Tower Control has little checkpoints along the track that stop the tower for a few seconds, etc

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wanna know if you still need to play effectively TDM for 10 hours before you can play the real modes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Probably because they did a similar thing for Arms where you need to beat a certain difficulty in single player mode before you can do 1v1 ranked.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Probably because they did a similar thing for Arms where you need to beat a certain difficulty in single player mode before you can do 1v1 ranked.

you can separate ranked and unranked without locking unranked to one game type. here's hoping

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

extremebuff posted:

i wanna know if you still need to play effectively TDM for 10 hours before you can play the real modes

Salmon Run is locked behind lvl5 or something, I don't know how they're handling the regular modes but it sounds like they're going to drip them out again

they confirmed the stage rotation happens every 2 hours now, there'll probably be 6 maps at launch but they still haven't confirmed the exact number

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't like the controls but I like watching people who can tolerate it play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
splatoon is freakin dope

• Locked thread