Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Splatoon Good?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
It's fun but not suited for competitive gameplay by any means. Peer-to-peer servers means that unless you're Japanese, you will suffer from microlag in a highly fast paced environment. On the other, hand, pretty colors, tons of neat weapons and the ability to have tailor your build for a variety of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Addendum to my previous answer: Splatoon is suffering. Theree are no longer any American/Western players, meaning that lag is a serious issue. Insta-kill is an important aspect of this shooter and any lag is fatal. You cannot be paired by region. Splatoon was always flawed; at this point late in the game's history (he said, speaking of something less than two years of age), it has become unplayable.

Everything about Splatoon is enjoyable except for the multiplayer.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

extremebuff posted:

what do you mean a year+ after they stopped supporting the first game on the console that sold 20 units

I'm going to choose to read this statement as is.

The nuts & bolts of Splatoon are hard to explain, so bear with me if I get anything wrong. Splatoon servers are peer-to-peer, with Nintendo dealing with the matchmaking, "splat" (kill) confirmations and buffering. There has never been any control over the matchmaking from the player's side. There were regional events (known as Splatfests) but outside of those events (which are sadly finis) you would be paired with anyone available. So when you're paired up with a Japanese/East-Asian player base, you're dependent on their point of view for gameplay purposes and you (the Westerner) suffer for it. Splatoon is one of the most exacting shooters I've ever come across and the peer-to-peer format gives it no favors. Nintendo hasn't done much to support their star product either. There's been weapon balance, but no changes as to how players are teamed up/connected since the very start.

Offline Splatoon is nothing to write home about. It's been rightfully called a tutorial for the online play. Were you to rent the game, you'd probably finish the story mode within a weekend.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

elf help book posted:

The man who gave me this title was Fire, a pedophile who's been permabanned since. I don't post much so gently caress red titles and gently caress people who read into them.

• Locked thread