Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I'd say there's maybe 2% of movies that are just kind of okay throughout, but then transcend into excellence with a killer ending. The Mist, for example, would not be remembered at all if it weren't for that fuckin ending

Life is one of those 2%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I'd say there's maybe 2% of movies that are just kind of okay throughout, but then transcend into excellence with a killer ending. The Mist, for example, would not be remembered at all if it weren't for that fuckin ending

Life is one of those 2%.

Cool, thank you Trumps Baby Hands

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
You got it man

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Like, on the things that make a movie a movie, (plot, character development, cinematography, special effects) it is "just okay"

but on its own terms it has something going for it, and that is its loving spectacular ending

Which is a spoiler because a loving spectualar ending is more spectacular when you're not expecting it, so I apologize for ruining the one great thing about the movie for you, but I did say "spoiler" in the title, so

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

It's just, the movie hypnotizes you with how boilerplate it is. Every single "space horror movie" alien trope is thrown directly at you without a single original twist or especially interesting characters. There is nothing to distinguish this movie from any other, until the last 15 seconds where they reveal the bait-and-switch. You're thinking about where you're parked when suddenly you realize you've been lied to. It's a pretty bold move for a movie to hinge its entire emotional impact on the last two or three shots. It's like going all-in on the final river card, hoping it'll be an ace. And it is.

Life rules, and it's sad that it has to languish at ~65% on Rotten Tomatoes because it's impossible for reviewers to just openly say, "Utterly generic, except for the very very end which is totally baller."

It's almost a nobel move on the film's part. It sacrifices being a "great movie" in favor of being an "event", like The Mist. For years to come, Life is going to be the quintessential "Craziest movie endings" movie. By accident or by design, it catapulted itself to legend.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol you convinced me. I need to see it now

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Saw it last night and I agree. The entire time I felt I had "called it", including the ending, but was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Also killing off Ryan Reynolds in the beginning surprised the hell out of me, but I guess it was because I hadn't seen any trailers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's the ending?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Yeah, I don't watch movies any more, tell me the ending.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Starshark posted:

Yeah, I don't watch movies any more, tell me the ending.

I looked up a plot summary and I'd like to know what the OP is smoking because I'd love some myself.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I thought you were talking about Life when I clicked the thread. Now voting 1.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What jazzed you up so much about the ending? It just seemed like a "lol no that thing we hinted at isn't actually what happened" moment for no real reason. Either outcome of that shell-under-the-cup game would have been a Not Good Scenario, so I didn't really care all that much that I expected Bad Thing 1 and got Bad Thing 2 instead.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the ending of Life is basically the original ending of Alien.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I read the wikipedia article and apparently the twist is that the alien they spent all movie trying to stop landing on earth, get this, lands on earth lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[me every time freddy kreuger turns out to still be alive]: drat. Holy poo poo. This insane twist is throwing everything I knew about movies out the window. Cant believe the directors would go for such a bold move

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Control Volume posted:

I read the wikipedia article and apparently the twist is that the alien they spent all movie trying to stop landing on earth, get this, lands on earth lol

Lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Control Volume posted:

lol

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
:doh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Control Volume posted:

[me every time freddy kreuger turns out to still be alive]: drat. Holy poo poo. This insane twist is throwing everything I knew about movies out the window. Cant believe the directors would go for such a bold move

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Control Volume posted:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
So it's like if that human-xeno hybrid actually made it to earth instead of being sucked out of the tiny hole in the ship in Alien IV?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

“It evolved over the course of Rhett and I discussing the story for several weeks before we set off to write,” Wernick explained. “And we thought it was really cool and ominous and there is always the drive of studios to create franchises. And I feel like, there could be a Life 2 should we be so fortunate, with this creature now on Earth in a pretty creature-friendly place with lots of water and people and things to kill.”

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Control Volume posted:

“It evolved over the course of Rhett and I discussing the story for several weeks before we set off to write,” Wernick explained. “And we thought it was really cool and ominous and there is always the drive of studios to create franchises. And I feel like, there could be a Life 2 should we be so fortunate, with this creature now on Earth in a pretty creature-friendly place with lots of water and people and things to kill.”

:lol:

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
If it needs oxygen to live then how did it survive in the vacuum of space?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I read most of this thread including the spoilers confusing "Life," which I haven't seen, with "Arrival," which I have seen and wondering what you were talking about. Now that I know the super secret twist should I see "Life?"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Eh, it's nothing special. Bit cliche and predictable and the "surprise" ending is really the only thing going for it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's supposed to be cliche. It's a 50s style horror movie down to being shot in black and white and the goofy poster, except the studio was all like "lol no"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the thing about life, is, well, everybody dies at the end

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pneub posted:

I thought you were talking about Life when I clicked the thread. Now voting 1.

I mean, yeah.

Can we just talk about this underappreciated comedy instead.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Control Volume posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't recall any episodes of Life covering space or even going to a space station. I think I'd remember Sir David Attenborough narrating such events.

• Locked thread