Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
Legalize marijuana growing naturally out of the ground before robots imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

a misanthrope posted:

speaking of slaves, it's funny to me how the wealthy are still doing everything they can to get free labor -- even if it fucks over everyone. they used to rely on slaves and now it's robots

Robots aren't labor, they're capital equipment.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

The Management posted:

whatever you want to call it -- they replace labor

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Hopefully portable emps become a thing before drones steal all of the jobs

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

guns for tits posted:

Hopefully portable emps become a thing before drones steal all of the jobs

i legit hope hackers break the gently caress out of them

but they wont because hackers are goony nerds who think poo poo like self-driving cars are neat and don't care if 3 million truckers lose their jobs

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Everybody should see Eat the Rich, it's more relevant today than ever. They should have it on Netflix and it should be making the rounds on cable.

Nosher = Trump

Comic Strip Presents!

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

a misanthrope posted:

but they wont because hackers are goony nerds who think poo poo like self-driving cars are neat and don't care if 3 million truckers lose their jobs

I don't trust those things. They seem like they may glitch out one day and run the gently caress over everything.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

a misanthrope posted:

whatever you want to call it -- they replace labor

Computers replace labor. Washing machines replace labor. Tractors replace labor. Looms replace labor. Printing presses replace labor. You've cracked the code, technology replaces labor.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The Management posted:

Computers replace labor. Washing machines replace labor. Tractors replace labor. Looms replace labor. Printing presses replace labor. You've cracked the code, technology replaces labor.

yeah

i dont understamd why we are arguing

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Management posted:

They're capital equipment and labor but that's not material.

What's material is that ownership of capital is not allocated appropriately due to a legal system that values contracts over material contributions because that's legislatively convenient (rather than because it is fair as it is obviously not fair) along with secondary issues of an apparatus in place to enforce this unfair legal system.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

has anyone mentioned aerosmith yet

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Globalism has us fast on the way to capitalism expanding its fringe sector into its home states, at some point soon the exploited class will expand to a size where it has to start doing something. Ideally that something will be redistributing the wealth, but it's looking just as likely that it'll end up cannibalizing itself to keep going

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

OK, I'm rich and accept my fate. Where do I report to?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
My kokoro wish is that when capitalism implodes, our robots kill the people who programmed them first

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
You wouldn't believe how many dumb posts I wrote about the industrial age collapsing into the information age and edited down to come up with that

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
As long as we have a militarized police force it will be impossible. The tech gap makes it inconceivable that the command man can push against the the wealthy without the consent of either the military or law enforcement.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
When we eat the rich and become them, where do I report so the Mexicans can make me into a taco?

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

a misanthrope posted:

yeah

i dont understamd why we are arguing

Cause one of you thinks that is good and the other bad.

Hint: You're wrong.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Seems like some people itt need to watch "The Twilight Zone" The Brain Center at Whipple's

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

As long as we have a militarized police force it will be impossible. The tech gap makes it inconceivable that the command man can push against the the wealthy without the consent of either the military or law enforcement.

which will be made a million times worse when police and military are replaced by robots

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Huskalator posted:

Cause one of you thinks that is good and the other bad.

Hint: You're wrong.

i'm wrong to think automation will lead to a job apocalypse? ok buddy because all indicators point to me being right

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
There used to be a person who delivers ice to your house to put in your ice box. I say smash your refrigerator and we could get those jobs back.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The Management posted:

There used to be a person who delivers ice to your house to put in your ice box. I say smash your refrigerator and we could get those jobs back.

this coming round of automation is different than the industrial revolution. it will take jobs at a much higher rate than new ones are created, and those few newly created jobs will favor those who can get the appropriate education. the poor and anyone who has just a high school degree will be left in the dust, for good. min. wage jobs will not be a thing anymore

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
wait a sec - who's this 'rich' guy we're taking about? Doesn't he get a say in this??

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

if you can argue "a lot less jobs with a lot higher entry barrier" is good for the economy, i'd love to see you try

Woden
May 6, 2006
Bill Gates suggested taxing companies that use robots and that sounds cool. A 3 way fight to the death with non western workers vs western workers vs robots to see who's best to enslave.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

guns for tits posted:

I don't trust those things. They seem like they may glitch out one day and run the gently caress over everything.

good, im glad for it, death to all 2020

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I will be attending Burning Man this year.

Why? To murder gutless, yuppie ball-handlers

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psycho Society posted:

wait a sec - who's this 'rich' guy we're taking about? Doesn't he get a say in this??

Lmao try to keep up

We've already dehumanize him so he doesn't matter

Kinda like everyone's dreams of murdering the fictional monopoly man while yelling No YOU'RE fired!

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

The Management posted:

The last round of automation/outsourcing was justified by claims that the service and retail sectors could absorb the displaced manufacturing workers. Turns out trading your full time well paid manufacturing job for part time poo poo retail work isn't so great. Even if things eventually balance out, I bet they won't, we've already thrown entire communities and several generations under the bus.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

pfff a bunch of starving rice eating farmers with decades old rifles pushed the US Army's poo poo in not too long ago

"but drones!" whatever man tell it to the IRA snipers

bunch a defeatists itt

The Corporate
Jul 7, 2009

a misanthrope posted:

which will be made a million times worse when police and military are replaced by robots

boston dynamics?

more like boston DIEnamics amirite

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
we should unironically drop a hellfire missile on that irish politican that used to work for the IRA. That fucker probably bombed some kids.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Management posted:

This kind of "lol just learn Econ 101!" argument falls flat when the results of the last 20 years have been what they are. there's no guarantee that the new jobs will be as good as the old ones.

there's no guarantee that all lost jobs will be replaced by the new whatsoever either, that's just historically what has happened but that doesn't make it scientific fact and any real economist wouldn't be so quick to make any guarantees like that about anything.

thinking this form of capitalism is the end all be all answer to everything and it just requires some tweaks here and there sometimes to keep it going is ideology

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

This kind of "lol just learn Econ 101!" argument falls flat when the results of the last 20 years have been what they are. there's no guarantee that the new jobs will be as good as the old ones.

there's no guarantee that all lost jobs will be replaced by the new whatsoever either, that's just historically what has happened but that doesn't make it scientific fact and any real economist wouldn't be so quick to make any guarantees like that about anything.

I love how neo liberals destroyed organized labor, American and British manufacturing, and then profited off of sweat shop labor in the third world, and all the while claim to be the greatest philanthropists man kind has ever known.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

skeletonotherkin posted:

I love how neo liberals destroyed organized labor, American and British manufacturing, and then profited off of sweat shop labor in the third world, and all the while claim to be the greatest philanthropists man kind has ever known.

Philanthropy applied towards shareholders

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

skeletonotherkin posted:

The last round of automation/outsourcing was justified by claims that the service and retail sectors could absorb the displaced manufacturing workers. Turns out trading your full time well paid manufacturing job for part time poo poo retail work isn't so great. Even if things eventually balance out, I bet they won't, we've already thrown entire communities and several generations under the bus.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The amount of math you have to take to get an econ degree is hilariously small, especially given how complex many of the problems involving money are compared to items in the physical world that engineers or physicists deal with. Taking something an economist says about the economy to heart is usually like putting stock in your tarot reading aunt's opinions on nutrition. Economics is an arena for soft brained people to sit in hoping some salesman active in the economy comes by and picks them to be their fall guy or jester while they go about robbing people using some variation on the rounding off scheme from Superman 3.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

gently caress reganomics forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

a misanthrope posted:

Don't worry, asymmetric warfare abroad has illustrated that there is always a low tech wrench to throw in the complex machine.

An example at home: everybody having a cheap camera phone has been a tremendous boon to highlighting police abusing their authority. For all their resources and tactical gear they still have to contend with video records and instant Facebook streaming shining a light on their poo poo.

Things can and will continue to deteriorate but we're a fightin species that works well in groups, this tenacity will always benefit the oppressed class

• Locked thread